Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Conway's Irish AleGreat Lakes Conway's Irish Ale

good

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Irish Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: chilidog on 07-28-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 465 | Hads: 1,340
4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

From Pitcher to frosted mug.

A - Pours a wonderful copper color with a good inch of off-white/tan hearty head that stays through the end of the glass. Lacing is on the higher end of the Great Lakes line about average.

S - More complex than most of the style. Notes of baked apple, toasted nut and molassas. The first glass was masked by the cold temperature but by the second the warmth really brought out the natural aromas that make this beer special.

T - The most distinguishable flavor is toasted malts with sweet notes of caramel and hickory. The hops are very well balanced and do not dominate at any point. It finishes with a fruity grapefruit and apple. All elements are balanced throughout which yield a flawless taste.

M - Slightly on the dry end, the finish is exceptional. This beer does not ware your palate out in the slightest which makes it the perfect compliment to food.

D - This is the easiest drinking beer GLBC has to offer. Easily got through the pitcher with a buddy. I could drink this beer all day.

This is my favorite beer from GLBC. It is a seasonal beer but I wish it wasn't. I reviewed it from draft but it is just as good out of the bottle. The only complaint I had was that it was served too cold. The twelve pack box is a wonderful buy. Do not hesitate to pick some up! (1,308 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +25.8%

A- very attractive clear copper/amber with world class head, a puffy off white raw biscuit with a creamy ocher tint, great retention and webs of lace.

S- malty sweet caramel, and a buttery toffee nuttiness are prominent with cappuccino & milk chocolate in the background. grassy herbal hops, exotic tea, and dried fruit.

T- a perfect blend of sweet & sour, earthy chocolate & vanilla, malty & bitter. one of the best balances i've experienced in any kind of ale. it's like a cocoa cereal i used to eat as a kid- sweet grains, caramel toasty malt, honey roasted cashew, mild chocolate, sweet over ripe fruit, damp wood, soil, clay, and an herbal tea hop finish.

MF- perfect creamy medium/full bodied and medium carbonation, goes down like a citrus juice.

D- no problem knockin em back tonight, too bad it's only a seasonal release. (834 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +24%

Poured from a bottle to a Great Lakes pint glass.

This is a beautiful beer, very pure red in color and a small frothy head.

Overpowering aroma of sweet malt. Smells like butterscotch.

Not nearly as sweet as it smells, but just right. Good and malty with just enough hops for a good bite of a finish.

Goes down smooth and easy. Great Lakes never lets me down. (365 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +23.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The body has light amber honey color with very good clarity. On top it forms a big creamy off white colored head. The head slowly fades but hangs on well and make cool rings of lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is mostly sweet with hints of lightly roasted grains, bready yeast, light hops and some mild fruit notes.

Taste/Mouth Feel: Its flavor has a good solid medium body with a sweet malty character that is tempered with just enough leafy hops for some balance. There are notes of bread, light caramel malt, orange marmalade and mild hops. The palate is smooth, slightly slick and easy drinking with mellow carbonation.

Notes: I love Great Lakes and this is one of my favorites. I also converted my mother and step father to craft beer with this Irish Ale! How cool is that!!! (874 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +23.5%

Brewed with Harrington 2-row, Crystal 77. Hopped with Northern Brewer, Hallertau, and Fuggle.

6.5% ABV, 25 IBU's, OG=14.5P.

Slightly cloudy deep caramel with a touch of ruby accents, forms a whipped dark beige head with very good retention and solid sheets of lacing. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is pleasant with abundant crystal and biscuit malts, a touch of roasted barley, toast, nuts (akin to Fat Tire), and a touch of butterscotch. Mouthfeel is silky smooth with a creamy, medium body. Excellent mouthfeel. Taste begins with a ton of toast and biscuit, some excellent (German Noble?) spicy flavor hops perfectly in balance with the abundant malts...the malt body is luxurious with wonderful residual sugars...a tiny wisp of alcohol, and a very nice roasted and toasty finish with mild bitterness.

First off, I am not a fan of Red Ales, but this is the best Red Ale I've ever had...bar none. This sets the standard for all others to follow in the category, and is everything I want in a red. Amazingly drinkable, I could put these back all night long. Reminds me to a certain extent of Fat Tire with the wonderful toast and biscuits. I absolutely love this stuff and it will become a regular addition. Amazingly balanced and rich, without ever fatiguing the taste buds. Another amazing brew from the alchemists at GLBC! Highly recommended. (1,349 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%

Bought at Frugal Homebrewer and drank same day of purchase. Poured into thick stein glass.
Beer smells very malty, and toasty. There is a background of hops aroma hid well behind the malty intensity. The aromas are very welcoming to the style, but unclear as to what style.
Its appearance is ruby-red orange and when poured, a one finger head was left atop the beer. That faded to a thin head throughout the drink.
Wonderfully malty and toasty this beer is. I will not hesitate to say this is the best red beer I have tasted. Its alcohol strength works perfectly with its robust toastiness and crisp taste. The hop flavors are right there with it, not hiden too well and blending very well with the slightly roasted, again toasty, biscuity flavors.
The mouthfeel is great and fresh. I would say it is a medium-bodied beer, and it fits perfectly with its style. GLBC has really hit the mark of the aspect of the brau, could not be better, for my taste at least.
The drinkability is very good. It fills the mouth up quite a bit with flavor but that flavor is full, and desirable. I might have to keep some of this ready for St. Patrick's day.
Overall this beer is one of the best red ales I have tasted. Eggerton's (spelling?) red ale is also a mentionable one to try if you can get your hands on it, though it is stronger and more assertive than this one. I stand by on my rating of this beer, very high! (1,419 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%

The beer pours a nice copper color with a creamy half finger of head. The aroma is quite sweet and malty. The flavor has a good bit of caramalized malt and grassy hops. It has a heavy mouthfeel and prickly carbonation. This is quite different than I was expecting in a good way. I would deffinately get a sixer of this to share with friends. (341 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It pours an amber color, almost orange with hints of copper. The head is off-white and about an inch and a half, falls quickly to a top coating and small ring. There is a decent amount of lacing.

The smell is well rounded. There are scents of apple, caramel, pineapple, and puff pastry. You can say it smells like a caramel-apple danish.

The flavors are light but good. Pretty much follows suite with the nose. Apple, caramel, and pastry. The pastry notes are much more evident on the palate and tongue.

Very pleasant mouth-feel. Light to medium body with a nice dose of carbonation. Slick and pleasant.

This is one leaves you begging for more. Very refreshing, nice flavor, easy on the wallet, no bite, and easy to find. Dam near perfect.

I cant believe this is my first time trying this beer. The cop on the label must have scared me. (841 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nice sunset orange/red color with an off-white froathy head. The smell is sweet, flowery, and clean. The taste is wonderfully complex. The malts are big, lending a great toasted flavor. The hops are used sparingly, just enough to balance the malt and still make their presence known. A hint of caramel and citrous fruit gives extra complexity. A noticeable spiciness is also present. This light and refreshing brew disappears quickly, I should have bought an extra 6 pack. (480 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

If I had to choose a favorite session beer, a beer that I could finish off multiple bottles of, this would be it. Far and away the best Irish red I've tasted. To the masses, this is like an intense Killian's. To the longtime BA's, it might be similar to a weakened Scotch ale. I really like this one.

It's color is a nice amber red. The head is sturdy and lasting with good lacing. The flaovr seems a bit tipped towards sweetness and malts, but that's a good characteristic in my book.

I've been on a quest to try as many different brews as possible and in so doing I only buy one or two bottles of each kind. Conway's Irish ale is a brew I'll be buying in sixpack formation, for sure! (691 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have liked this beer for sometime. I started homebrewing about a year ago. I tried to brew my first Red Ale as close to this as possible. Dark reddish hue, not a very aromatic beer. It doesn't smell bad, just doesn't smell much at all. I found it to be very filling. A sweet & heavy taste. I have always liked Red Ales as my favorite style & flavor. Living in Cleveland makes it a disappointment that this brew is only seasonal. I would drink this all year if I could.
CHEERS
CM~2013 (485 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a wonderful looking tawny ruby brown, soft ropes of carbonation do their best to hold up this well worn looking head which subsides rather quickly into a soapy lace.

The aroma is a true accomplishment in brewing, a wonderful aroma coming from any beer and simply heaven for the style. Initially the aroma is slightly citrusy with notes of grapefruit being the easiest to distinguish then moves/melts into a remarkable malty essence. I knew I've smelled this before and I've finally put my finger on it, this beer smells like a piece of fresh toasted bread spread with a thin layer strawberry preserves, not even Southern Tier could top this with their next creation. I could smell this every day, all day, they should pipe this aroma into anywhere such things can be piped to.

Soft carbonation makes me contemplate the flavor of this beer. Not as quite straightforward as the aroma but close. There is a slightly sweet hop fruitiness in this beer that is easily balanced with remarkably fresh cereal grains. I could go on about this beer but then I wouldn't be drinking it any longer. It has pretty much everything I like in a beer, hops that are not overly done, malts that are not overly sweet, a nice dryness that makes me yearn for another sip and a mouthfeel that reminds me more of a cask ale than a bottle of soda. Go out and get this stuff while it's fresh. (1,373 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I first tasted Conways several years ago I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Since then, every winter these become available and quickly disappear from Northeast Ohio retailers' shelves.

It's a special brew, with a smooth, drinkable character. I hope to drink these until I go to my grave. The color and clarity are second to none.

I think I should go out tomorrow and try to find some more before they are gone. (423 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: beautiful copper color. Slight head, maybe about a half, to three-quarters of an inch. Little to no lacing. A lot of activity in the way of carbonation.

Smell: malty smell. It's nice. Not bold, not underwhelming--seems to have the right balance.

Taste: malt character up front, smooth finish with a residual hop flavor that creeps up to the back of the palate. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: very well rounded and smooth. It's pleasant to hold in one's mouth. It seems to have a sort of wholeness. I find it extremely enjoyable.

Drinkability: it's at this point in the day where I love to kick back, sip a beer and think. This beer is great for that. It's not boisterous or bombastic--it has a particular laid back quality where you just want to casually sip it with a good meal. (792 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Yum! They really need to start making this one year round!

Pours a clear and deep orange red with a thin white head. Lots of lacing throughout the entire pint. Nose is spicy a well balanced, a biscuity character is the dominant scent. Taste is quite gorgeous, extremely well balanced and smooth, with a fair spicy character, biscuit, slightly herbal, and a mild but tasty hop profile, overall quite malty, in the best of ways, quite beautiful! Mouthfeel is quite full and almost a bit creamy. Drinkability is quite good, very fresh tasting and smooth, very easy drinking. Perfect for St. Paddy's!

I deeply like this one, it was worth the lengths I had to go through to hunt some down. Finally found a six-pack at Big Ten in A2, MI.

Forget that dyed green crap on the 17th, get some of this instead, if you're lucky enough to find it! It's like the gold at the end of the rainbow, and those wee Irish bastards aren't giving up the goods very easily.

Slàinte! (971 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance: perfect amber color with little head and slight lacing.

Smell: malty and grainy.

Taste: malt throughout with a smooth finish a touch of hops.

Mouthfeel: light on the tounge.

Drinkability: Easy drinker no problem having more than one at a sitting. (264 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

egggsellennnntt! very nice beer from GLB. pours a nice reddish amba. bood carbonation and lace. nice hop flava that marries well with a sweet fruit. a nice balance.

very drinkable, specially on a cool winters day by the fire.

i admit that i am a lover of Great Lakes Brewing. this one is no exception. not as heavy as some irish ales but a much better example of one than Killians.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet (420 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is easily the best beer I have had in this style and one of the few that I would drink outside of March if it were available. Nice clean lager with a taste of caramel, toasted malt, and a bit of woodsy hops at the end. Super malty, super sessionable, great beer. (269 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

This is a seasonal from Great Lakes. I hear they only make one batch every year. The beer pours a hazy dark orange/red color. The head is creamy and lingers for quite some time. Lots of lacing clings to the pint glass as you drink. The nose has some fruit and spice. The taste is quite mild with a mellow taste almost like tea. The malts are sweet and the hops are subdued. Although the alcohol is a little higher than some, it would make for a nice session beer. This is a keeper! (481 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a clear bright red color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into a small cap of lacing. The aroma is of tea leaves, toast, caramel and toffee. The taste is slightly maltier than the aroma, but still quite balanced. There are some very nice strong tea notes that blend well with the toffee, and caramel of the malt. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this beer is really, really good, and spot on for the style. I will certainly be drinking a lot of this while its around. (559 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

The day after St.Patrick's Day...

This brew pours out a clear, reddish brown with a little off-white head. Some lingers throughout. My initial impression of the aroma is that's it's mostly malt - caramel, and a little hops. Nothing really particular in the nose. The taste is also creamy and sweet, but really well-balanced at the end. I notice a grassy, sort of mossy flavor, too, slightly minty in the aftertaste. So far this one is hitting all the right notes for me. It's very pleasant in the mouth, too, perfectly carbonated and just the right consistency. On top of that, it's just sliding down, too, so I'm really happy with this one. (644 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a coppery color, very clear, good head which dissipated fairly quickly, trace lacing.

Smell: Sweet malty smell, maybe a bit grainy.

Taste: Beautiful balance of sweetness and bitterness, neither particularly dominates. Almost has a root beer-like taste up front.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, full bodied beer. Pleasantly warming.

Drinkability: Another hit from GLBC. This is a very nice offering, not too overwhelming, I could see myself drinking a few of these tonight. Way to go, Great Lakes. (512 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz bottle
Served in Great Lakes conical pint

A - It is burnt orange in color. The pour produced a generous light tan head.

S - The aroma is sweet toffee and caramel malt.

T - The taste is slightly burnt toffee and caramel and finishes with soft floral hops.

M - Medium

O - This is probably my second favorite GL beer behind Edmund Fitzgerald. I really enjoy this beer. (377 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

A - Pours a clear copper amber with a 1 finger creamy off white head.

S - Toasted malt and biscuit with a bit of spice from the hops.

T - Quite malty with a good dose of biscuit and a little bit of a raw grainy taste. The spice from the hops compliment this one well.

M - Nice full and creamy mouthfeel.

D - A very tasty beer. This will become a regular spring drinker for me. (388 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: red-bronze, with a quickly receding cream colored head that thinly coats the beer

Smell: toasted malts, grainy, some caramel sweetness, and floral hops, biscuity

Taste: rich toasted malts, very robust malt character, noticeable hop twang for a great balance, biscuity earthiness, and a little honey-like sweetness

Mouthfeel: medium body, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: highly drinkable, great session ale (432 characters)

Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.