Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Conway's Irish AleGreat Lakes Conway's Irish Ale

good

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Irish Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: chilidog on 07-28-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale Alström Bros
Photo of

You rated this beer. Consider writing a review.

06-03-2012 19:23:32 | More by

Ontario (Canada)

1.53/5  rDev -59.7%

Bottle into tulip
Best before 3/31/2012

A- Clear copper/red pour with a finger width white head. Lacing is decent.

S- Definitely getting citrus and a slightly sweet malt but the smell that hits me like a ton of bricks is what my brain thinks is cabbage. It's something slightly rank and off putting. It's a strange, sickly sour aroma.

T- Biscuity, slightly sweet, there is a bittering hop flavor and that awful cabbage/ sour vegetable taste. Taste is part smell, when I hold my breath and take a sip it's a 3. When I catch a whiff it's a 1.

M- Nice carbonation, Light bodied.

O- My goodness, I really like Great lakes. I do hope this is a bad bottle or my taste buds are shot (just had a vanilla coffee porter) this beer is almost vomit inducing...

03-08-2012 00:45:02 | More by korguy123
MattyDrinks

1.75/5  rDev -53.9%

04-07-2013 05:01:15 | More by MattyDrinks
xk6m6m5x

03-12-2014 02:36:29 | More by xk6m6m5x
Buggabeer

2.15/5  rDev -43.4%

A Very average nothing special. Pours to a light red color with a nice 2 finger head. Laces nicely around the glass

S Very bread like to me with a hint of hops and yeast. I also pick up a slight spice aroma

T This isn't very good : ( The more I drink it the less I like it. Very metalic finish to the beer. In my opinion not a good thing. I have it rated at a 2 but I wouldn't be affraid to go lower. I'm in a nice mood tonight.

M Well carbinated but it leaves a foul coating on my mouth.

O I will never drink another one of these! I'm almost ready to proclaim this thing as awful. Great Lakes is a hit or miss for me and this is clearly a miss. I would say the Cleveland Browns are better than this beer.

03-23-2011 22:21:49 | More by Buggabeer
JunkYardJake

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle to pint glass.
First thing I noticed about this beer is the unique herbal smell as I poured it into the glass. I cannot fully place the smell but it's similar to some sort of vegetable or some less than fresh fruit. Either way, it's not something I want my beer to smell like. The same flavor is in the palate but is milder and at least there is a good malt base with toasted and caramel flavors to make it drinkable. As for appearance, the orange color is less than spectacular and the large amount of unexpained floaties is downright unappealing. Not one I'll drink again.

03-19-2011 13:01:21 | More by JunkYardJake
Shaggy9356

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

Nice copper appearance, white head with little lacing.

Smell of grains, maltose, bready sweetness.

Taste is definitely malt forward, some tea, cabbage and very grainy, way too sweet. Hops add a bit to the bitterness but are barely present. This is reminds me way to much of the way wort smells during the boil. All you home brewers out here will definitely pick this up. Fine for a boil but not for a completed beer.
Too much unfermented sugar.

Unfortunately, this in not one I'm going to finish. Just doesn't fit the style for me and not a pleasant beer overall. Disappointed as I've enjoyed most of GLB other offerings.

04-24-2011 05:36:50 | More by Shaggy9356
wac9

2.35/5  rDev -38.2%

it took me 8 years fo find this beer it has a great beer smell , and it pour nice in a glass its not red maybe dark orange goes down smooth but it taste like im swallowing a flower big disappoint here for all of you who likes good for you but i cant wait for there other wonderful beers

03-18-2013 00:19:14 | More by wac9
fx20736

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, served cool.

light amber forms 2 finger beige head, little lacing.

aroma is surprisingly hoppy, of the Noble variety.

mouthfeel is ok.

taste of spicy hops and GL's signature toasted malt that has a slight taste of chocolate.

Notes: there is something about Great Lakes' ales; Burning River, Nosferatu and now Conway. They all have a cocoa aftertaste. Conway is hoppier than any Irish Ale I have ever had. I don't like anything about this beer. The color is insipid, the aroma not to the style, the taste out of sync.

03-09-2012 22:06:25 | More by fx20736

liftop

12-27-2011 22:47:30 | More by liftop
adamette

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%

On tap last night at Winking Lizard into a clear pint glass. Review from notes taken while enjoying the beer.

A Great Irish Ale presence with 1 cm head and a nice light brown tranlucent body.

S Almost no smell whatsoever. I have to fight to get some barley maybe. I am not impressed with the smell which is really difficult to detect.

T Thin, some barley, malt but really kind of forgettable. This really reminded me of a lager with a bit more barley. It is not a complete departure from its style but I remain not very impressed at all.

M Moderate with minimal malt, barley. Thin physicially, somewhat watery. Appropriate to the style but not much more here.

D Fair since it is just kind of forgettable. Style suggests that it should be even higher drinkability wise.

Notes: Not Great Lakes best offering and maybe one of their weakest.

02-04-2009 01:47:32 | More by adamette
Telix

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: As is typical for Great Lakes, it's an attractive brew. It's clearly filtered and is a lovely orange-gold color, with good levels of carbonation. There wasn't much head on my pour, and there was no lacing evident as I drank.

S: Very mild, extremely so. I have absolutely NO idea how anyone reviewing this beer would give this high marks on smell. This was a very fresh bottle and it still had almost no aroma. There was some slight malt sweetness with no hop bitterness. I had to stick my nose into the glass and swirl many times just to get anything at all.

T: It's pretty boring, really... some mild maltiness with a bit of buttery biscuit/cracker going on, with a very mild honey sweetness of caramel malts. The bitterness is very "european" and refined, with very mild classic hop notes - nothing great to me. The finish is surprisingly long, with bitterness that lingers in a mildly distasteful manner. There is a mild lemon note on the palate, but it's decidedly NOT an American ale citrus flavor. It's an integrated beer that just isn't very flavorful, really.

M: Pretty standard ale thickness. Great Lakes usually nails mouthfeel pretty well. The flavor is pretty thin but the beer itself is fairly substantial. It's a bit "zippy" on the tongue, but it's ok.

D: It's not very tasty or intense, it's almost too mild to care about - it certainly won't wear you out but it's not offensive. I'd want something more flavorful to session, but if you dig extremely mild european ales you might want this. I'm not very impressed with this, really, it's a rare miss by my hometown brewery.

01-08-2010 03:49:06 | More by Telix

nineworldseries

06-02-2013 23:26:54 | More by nineworldseries
schusterbauer

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

a bit light in hue for being a red ale -- looks like an APA. 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass, head rises to the top of the glass, and eventually disappears, never to be seen again. smells, well, like an APA. hops first, and then some sweetness from malts. taste is, again, hops first, giving way to what has the potential to be an enjoyable, toasty malt profile. there's also an odd red licorice flavor that manifests itself every few sips. a lot of mismatched flavor here, which is a shame, because despite that fact, it's apparent that good ingredients are present.

when i think of an irish red ale, i think of a beer that has a lot of bread and malt flavors, with a bit of sweetness -- good food beer. this is not good food beer. disappointing.

actually, this beer makes me want to write an essay on the unfortunate topic of inordinate hop levels seeming to be the american signature on attempts to interpret non-american styles. this, too, shall pass....(hopefully)

02-07-2007 14:42:49 | More by schusterbauer
BMoney575

2.95/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled on 3-8-07
Best before 4-27-07

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a good head that leaves light lacing.

Smell is very light and fruity, with a sweet almost strawberry hop aroma.

Taste is a little disappointing. A vegetable earthiness at first masks almost every other flavor, and maintains in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is decent, very carbonated, thin, and mildly refreshing.

Drinkability suffers as a result of the taste being sub-par.

Overall, not a very enjoyable beer for me. I usually like red ales, so I think it's this particular one that has this overpoweringly earthy dirt flavor.

03-09-2007 01:39:05 | More by BMoney575
TheBrewo

2.98/5  rDev -21.6%

This brew was served from the tap at MacGregor’s Grill and Tap Room in Canandaigua, NY. It arrived in a flared pilsner glass. This beer glowed a solid reddish gold, holding a one finger tan head of creamy bubbles. This showed moderate retention with spotty sheets of lacing here and there. No sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared moderate. The aroma was strong with white and red grapes, which showed with a juicy sweetness and light tartness. The malts were paler in aroma, with clean steel. Finally, baker’s yeast rounded out the back and softened things up. Our first impression was in regards to the huge grapey flavoring. As we sipped, red grape and bright strawberry sugars hit first. These mixed with softer pale malts, but really dominated the palate. The middle moved forward with more chalky, grainy malts, and gritty pepper at the peak. Here the balance was better, with the sweetness cut significantly. We were pulled to the finish on a wave of even more toasty, deeper malts, and a tonic water sourness, but that grape was persistently in the background. The aftertaste breathed of copper, grassy hops, and light peppery booze. The body was light to medium, and the carbonation was high and prickly. There was a light coating around the mouth with a brief astringency before all traces of the beer were gone. The mouth was cooled with decent slurp, but cream and froth were poor. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank nicely.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was how fresh and easy drinking it was. The fruitiness was overbearing at first, and was still quite strange by the end, but the balanced through the middle saved it. It was nice for the style, but seemed to be lacking just a bit in every category.

04-25-2012 14:16:35 | More by TheBrewo
Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.