Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Conway's Irish AleGreat Lakes Conway's Irish Ale

good

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Irish Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: chilidog on 07-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale Alström Bros
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Jun 03, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

Zachtheporter, Mar 02, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -59.6%

Bottle into tulip
Best before 3/31/2012

A- Clear copper/red pour with a finger width white head. Lacing is decent.

S- Definitely getting citrus and a slightly sweet malt but the smell that hits me like a ton of bricks is what my brain thinks is cabbage. It's something slightly rank and off putting. It's a strange, sickly sour aroma.

T- Biscuity, slightly sweet, there is a bittering hop flavor and that awful cabbage/ sour vegetable taste. Taste is part smell, when I hold my breath and take a sip it's a 3. When I catch a whiff it's a 1.

M- Nice carbonation, Light bodied.

O- My goodness, I really like Great lakes. I do hope this is a bad bottle or my taste buds are shot (just had a vanilla coffee porter) this beer is almost vomit inducing...

korguy123, Mar 08, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

MattyDrinks, Apr 07, 2013

xk6m6m5x, Mar 12, 2014

newbeeraday, Nov 16, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

A Very average nothing special. Pours to a light red color with a nice 2 finger head. Laces nicely around the glass

S Very bread like to me with a hint of hops and yeast. I also pick up a slight spice aroma

T This isn't very good : ( The more I drink it the less I like it. Very metalic finish to the beer. In my opinion not a good thing. I have it rated at a 2 but I wouldn't be affraid to go lower. I'm in a nice mood tonight.

M Well carbinated but it leaves a foul coating on my mouth.

O I will never drink another one of these! I'm almost ready to proclaim this thing as awful. Great Lakes is a hit or miss for me and this is clearly a miss. I would say the Cleveland Browns are better than this beer.

Buggabeer, Mar 23, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

Big_Dave, Aug 11, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle to pint glass.
First thing I noticed about this beer is the unique herbal smell as I poured it into the glass. I cannot fully place the smell but it's similar to some sort of vegetable or some less than fresh fruit. Either way, it's not something I want my beer to smell like. The same flavor is in the palate but is milder and at least there is a good malt base with toasted and caramel flavors to make it drinkable. As for appearance, the orange color is less than spectacular and the large amount of unexpained floaties is downright unappealing. Not one I'll drink again.

JunkYardJake, Mar 19, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -39.3%

Nice copper appearance, white head with little lacing.

Smell of grains, maltose, bready sweetness.

Taste is definitely malt forward, some tea, cabbage and very grainy, way too sweet. Hops add a bit to the bitterness but are barely present. This is reminds me way to much of the way wort smells during the boil. All you home brewers out here will definitely pick this up. Fine for a boil but not for a completed beer.
Too much unfermented sugar.

Unfortunately, this in not one I'm going to finish. Just doesn't fit the style for me and not a pleasant beer overall. Disappointed as I've enjoyed most of GLB other offerings.

Shaggy9356, Apr 24, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -38%

it took me 8 years fo find this beer it has a great beer smell , and it pour nice in a glass its not red maybe dark orange goes down smooth but it taste like im swallowing a flower big disappoint here for all of you who likes good for you but i cant wait for there other wonderful beers

wac9, Mar 18, 2013
2.45/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, served cool.

light amber forms 2 finger beige head, little lacing.

aroma is surprisingly hoppy, of the Noble variety.

mouthfeel is ok.

taste of spicy hops and GL's signature toasted malt that has a slight taste of chocolate.

Notes: there is something about Great Lakes' ales; Burning River, Nosferatu and now Conway. They all have a cocoa aftertaste. Conway is hoppier than any Irish Ale I have ever had. I don't like anything about this beer. The color is insipid, the aroma not to the style, the taste out of sync.

fx20736, Mar 09, 2012

Jerid, Aug 26, 2012

Headgoober, Feb 09, 2014

mark-herrmann, Feb 27, 2013

liftop, Dec 27, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -32.7%

On tap last night at Winking Lizard into a clear pint glass. Review from notes taken while enjoying the beer.

A Great Irish Ale presence with 1 cm head and a nice light brown tranlucent body.

S Almost no smell whatsoever. I have to fight to get some barley maybe. I am not impressed with the smell which is really difficult to detect.

T Thin, some barley, malt but really kind of forgettable. This really reminded me of a lager with a bit more barley. It is not a complete departure from its style but I remain not very impressed at all.

M Moderate with minimal malt, barley. Thin physicially, somewhat watery. Appropriate to the style but not much more here.

D Fair since it is just kind of forgettable. Style suggests that it should be even higher drinkability wise.

Notes: Not Great Lakes best offering and maybe one of their weakest.

adamette, Feb 04, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -28%

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: As is typical for Great Lakes, it's an attractive brew. It's clearly filtered and is a lovely orange-gold color, with good levels of carbonation. There wasn't much head on my pour, and there was no lacing evident as I drank.

S: Very mild, extremely so. I have absolutely NO idea how anyone reviewing this beer would give this high marks on smell. This was a very fresh bottle and it still had almost no aroma. There was some slight malt sweetness with no hop bitterness. I had to stick my nose into the glass and swirl many times just to get anything at all.

T: It's pretty boring, really... some mild maltiness with a bit of buttery biscuit/cracker going on, with a very mild honey sweetness of caramel malts. The bitterness is very "european" and refined, with very mild classic hop notes - nothing great to me. The finish is surprisingly long, with bitterness that lingers in a mildly distasteful manner. There is a mild lemon note on the palate, but it's decidedly NOT an American ale citrus flavor. It's an integrated beer that just isn't very flavorful, really.

M: Pretty standard ale thickness. Great Lakes usually nails mouthfeel pretty well. The flavor is pretty thin but the beer itself is fairly substantial. It's a bit "zippy" on the tongue, but it's ok.

D: It's not very tasty or intense, it's almost too mild to care about - it certainly won't wear you out but it's not offensive. I'd want something more flavorful to session, but if you dig extremely mild european ales you might want this. I'm not very impressed with this, really, it's a rare miss by my hometown brewery.

Telix, Jan 08, 2010

Nfrey, Jan 29, 2012

vader06, Jul 13, 2014

Dray, Jun 24, 2012

BryanK, Aug 10, 2012

smulford68, Jun 19, 2012

nineworldseries, Jun 03, 2013

demonspeed, Sep 26, 2014
Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.