Great Lakes The Wright Pils - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes The Wright PilsGreat Lakes The Wright Pils

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-16-2009)

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

2.8/5  rDev -25.5%

This was a beer I had been wanting to try all year but it's only available at the brewery and this is the first time we've been able to go up there since Christmas.

Had on tap at the brewpub bar.

Poured a very light golden straw, very highly carbonated. Crystal clear clarity, medium head and low retention.

Smelled of rice and grains, with some of the bitter skunkiness associated with most pilsners.

The taste was surprising to me. I was expecting it to taste like most other pilsners but this one has some weird stuff going on. I immediately tasted wild rice, and after my second sips I began to detect a strong aftertaste - corn. It dawned on me and once I could place the flavor that's practically all I noticed, lots and lots of corn.

Mouthfeel is bright and well carbonated, excellent for the style.

Drinkability was low. Sure the light character of the beer and low abv make it an easy drinker, but, the flavor wound up being way too off-putting. My wife who ordered it didn't want to finish it and we had the bar tender exchange it for an Edmund Fitzgerald. Sorry Wright Pils, but you didn't make the cut.

2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

Great Lakes spin on a Czech Pils. Light in color and flavor. Smell is a bit light, but the floral hops do come out a bit. The taste has hints of Great Lakes malt backbone, but not that much. Honestly, its just very light in every way. Flashes of floral hops do show up in the taste, but its nothing all that fancy. Not my favorite GL seasonal.

2.93/5  rDev -22.1%

A- gold with 1/4 inch white head.No lacing

S-Grains

T-Grains

M-medium bodied

O- Overall I was not impressed and I was truly excited to try this one too. There is a graininess to all the GL lagers that is odd to me. I'll stick to Victory for my lagers or the Germans. Sad because I love Great Lakes for most other things.

2.96/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass, the beer was urine sample yellow. Normally, colors this bright are reserved for kids' drinks. A generous white head was a sign of powerful carbonation, which was definitely evident in the mouthfeel. A grassy aroma was present, as expected for a pilsner. In the initial taste, one gets grass, sour hay, and a mildly tart grain taste. The mild sourness continues into the aftertaste, which moves in quickly because of the carbonation. I normally skip pilsners, and now I remember why. This is a pilsner, so it is Great Lakes' attempt at a beer for non-craft drinkers. For craft beer drinkers, it tastes a little more like a high end macro-brew.

Great Lakes The Wright Pils from Great Lakes Brewing Co.