Great Lakes Black Ice - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Black Ice
No picture uploaded.

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: adamette on 01-20-2010)
Brownsfan13

throwback

11-14-2011 17:51:13 | More by throwback
brew3crew

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Had on tap in a pint glass at the brewhouse.

A- dark black in color with moca head
S- hops and malt hit the nose upfront
T-tastes like it smells. hops upfront and the malt follows
M-medium bodied and smooth
D-had before my tour. Went down so fast i had another

01-28-2011 02:49:32 | More by brew3crew
TurdFurgison

3.75/5  rDev -12%

I had this on tap at the brewpub in January 2011. The serving notes state "A dark ale with malty notes and bold hops presence", IBU 55.

Not sure what to expect from that description, maybe a dark IPA or a hoppy stout.

It's dark amber-copper colored, clear, with a thin off-white foam. On smelling this doesn't smell like a dark IPA, instead it's got a lot of fruity esters. A touch of smoke and some fresh hops behind that.

It tastes bitter, much more bitter than implied by the aroma. Strong citrus character, very little malt.

The body is average for an IPA, somewhere north of water. Overall OK, but way too bitter in an unappealing way, I couldn't drink more than one.

01-25-2011 03:11:48 | More by TurdFurgison
jampics2

On tap @ GLBC. Served in a pint glass. This is not a Belgian Dark Ale - it's Great Lakes Black IPA, as confirmed by the servers and bartenders.

What a wonderful head on this beer! The one finger fluffy white head looks like tapioca pudding atop the black body, some brown and even ruby edges, particularly at the bottom. This has to get a perfect score, and the bartender who poured it needs a raise!

The smell is primarily comprised of roasted malt and hops, giving some chocolate touches and some citrus. There are some pine hops and just a hint of grapefruit and perhaps orange, but the hops aren't slamming. I also get a hint of green olives, which is a bit off. But overall, the smells I get are pleasant enough, but this just doesn't jump out of the glass.

The hops hit first in the taste, followed by chocolate roastiness and a medium bitter end. The hops give impressions of orange, grapefruit and pine. The malt base is very pleasant and never even crosses into porter territory. I wanted this to be more of a hopped up Ed Fitzgerald before I had it, now I'm glad it isn't. It leans much more towards the IPA side of the fence, particularly when it warms and the bitterness takes hold. Very little booze in this one, well crafted but a hair short of the best black IPA's in the world.

The mouthfeel on this beer is typical of Great Lakes IPA's in the pub, and that's just great with me. It's more of an English feel, where the carbonation is subdued but the body is creamy and medium in the spectrum. Very, very nice for this beer. Add that the drinkability is better than average, and I'm sold. That being said, this falls a tad short of the greatest in the world but is a nice Midwest version of the Cascadian. Something I'm glad to have tried.

01-12-2011 23:57:47 | More by jampics2
nrbw23

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

A- Pours a black color with a nice brown head. Head leaves some nice lacing around the glass.

S- I'd say there is quite a bit going on here...starts off almost like a normal IPA with a bunch of hops hitting you in the face and then comes in some roasted malts.

T- Follows the nose nicely. Quite a bit of hops coming out in the forefront and followed up by some nice roasted matls. I'd say this one is more like a black IPA.

M- Fuller side of medium in body and low in the carbonation.

D- I was lucky enough to try this one twice at their pub and it grew quickly on me. Its a a solid brew with a lot going on and its easy to drink. I'd grab this one up again if it comes around.

edit: A fellow BA fiveo2270 just filled my growler with this one again...I'd almost say its more of a black ipa or as he said a mixture of Ed Fitz and Commadore Perry, which I also think is right on.

03-11-2010 06:32:10 | More by nrbw23
bamadog

Kentucky

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

I don't know if I've ever rushed to The Party Source to get a growler before as their prices are typically a little more than I care to pay, but this offering definitely grabbed my attention and I made sure to get there for it (and at $10 for 1/2 grower, I can live with the cost). Poured from the growler to a tulip and the review is from notes taken on 3/4/10.

Appearance: Pour is a dark brown/near black and is nearly opaque with the exception of some deep ruby and mahagony highlights; starts with a short one centimeter light tan head that fades quickly to a creamy ring and thin film on the surface; loose spotty lacing is left behind on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Interesting... Fairly hop forward and they are bitter and citric; deep dark sweet fruit presence (like red grapes or possibly currants?); slight roasty malt presence as well. Quite a bit going on there.

Taste: Quite nice and very well-balanced and blended flavors of the hoppy bitterness, the sweet dark fruit/berry and the burnt coffee roastiness -- really matches the nose, nearly to a "T"; the hop bitterness lingers nicely and owns the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is mild; body is moderately thick and leaves a thick coating, particularly on the roof of the mouth; pretty nice overall and about what I would expect.

Drinkability: I really like the flavors a lot and the balance and blend is great; it does sit a little heavy though and at 7%, it would probably start to creep up on me pretty quick. Always happy to get something new from GLBC, but I'm not quite sure that the style it's listed under here is correct as it really doesn't strike me as a Belgian, but probably falls more under the catch-all American Strong... just my $.02.

03-04-2010 22:22:55 | More by bamadog
Great Lakes Black Ice from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.