Chillwave Double IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Chillwave Double IPAChillwave Double IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: CaptCleveland on 02-17-2013

Formerly known as Alchemy Hour Double IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chillwave Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,964 | Reviews: 499

Grapefruit after taste, best iipa I've ever had

Amazing smell.. one of the best. Great mouthfeel. The taste is an explosions of orange and grapefruit, how I like them. There is a sweetness there, but it's not over the top. It's hoppy as you'd expect a DIPA to be, but not over the top and astringent like some. Honest, this is the bets DIPA in Ohio. Somet think Bodhi is amazing.. it's good.. but THIS is hands down the best DIPA for this state. I do miss the Alchemy Hour name though!

Being in GA it is only when I travel that I can get my hands on Great Lakes brews. I find their products to be consistent with style and always clean front and back. I stumbled on Chillwave in a craft shop in NC. I have not been able to acquire Heady Topper or Pseudo Sue, but I can't imagine anything better than this CW stuff. Bronze color, floral and citric aroma with a malty wildflower honey background, and a taste that follows perfectly. CLEAN crisp and absolutely delicious. The best 2xipa I have found to date. I am going to have to find a recipe clone for this. Highly recommend!

Best beer I've ever had

2015: still by far my favorite IIPA.
Absolutely perfect nose of Mosaic happiness and just a hint of honey like sweetness. Luscious grapefruit and orange bomb that somehow defines and defies the idea of a "balanced" IPA. Amazing when fresh yet still impressive when unintentionally aged. Perfect beer in my book. 5+

This is the beer that has ruined all other beer for me. I know I'll never find a beer better than this. The beer upon which all others will be judged. Citrusy, tropical fruit to start with nice hop finish.

My favorite DIPA I've had so far. Well balanced, medium mouthfeel, I love my ABV's and they're well hidden. Beautiful clear amber color, Mosaic & honey well present, and that's my personal preference as they complement each other very well. Knocked Hopslam off #1 for me. Just sayin.

4.99/5  rDev +16.3%

The Alchemy Hour from Great Lakes is hands-down the best DIPA I had so far ... this is an awesome, fruit-filled DIPA that hides its 9.4% ABV ... the combination of mosaic, cascade, and nugget hops is amazingly well blended with the sweetness of the malt

4.99/5  rDev +16.3%

A: great color. Clear with slight lacing.
S: deep citrus on the nose. Orange blossoms
T: tart hops. Slight bitter finish.
F: perfect carbonation. As Lawrence Welk used to say " tiny bubbles"

4.96/5  rDev +15.6%

5/3/15 best buy date wow this is a great DIPA L: dark amber with huge 4 finger cream colored head S: light citrus and floral with a little mango and papaya smells
T: same as smell with a slight hop finish F:Creamy O: to bad they don't have this all the timeYUMM

4.96/5  rDev +15.6%

One of the best double IPA's I have ever tasted. Incredibly balanced, nice hop vs. fruit hit, great drinkability. Not nearly as bitter as you would expect for 9+ ABV (will sneak up on you quickly if having more than one). Terrific IPA!!

4.94/5  rDev +15.2%

I would seek this one

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

OMG. This is my new favorite.

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

I look forward to this stuff every year!

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Another fantastic Great Lakes beer

4.91/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland, Ohio has a beer that can compete with the big dogs. There are a few others that are great beers, but the Alchemy Hour is one of the best double IPA's I'd had.

Great color and the nose is a bouquet of fresh flowering hops. You would think it's super bitter for being a double IPA but it's not. There is smooth finish and you can't tel that there is nearly 10% ABV.

A true winner. Thanks Great Lakes

4.88/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is the best Double IPA i have had so far. The taste is phenomenal and goes down smoothly, very easy to drink

4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottle: Beautiful label! I learned that you can actually surf on Lake Erie on occasion!

A: A deep orange hue with a nice off white head that lingers.

S: Delicious sweet smelling nectar.

T: It is delightfully tasteful with favors of honey and citrus and orange and has a little grapefruit finish. One can barely notice the alcohol.

M: Very smooth...nicely carbonated!

O: Fucking fantastic! This is one of the best DIPAs on the market! Great Lakes had outdone themselves. This is my favorite DIPA and will drink this all season!

4.86/5  rDev +13.3%

incredible. first time trying a great lakes beer. one of the best dipa's ive ever had

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great citrusy taste and a good alcohol buzz. Good stuff, my top 5

served 4/25, best by 5/11
Better than hopslam and Nugget Nectar.
Very berry like and fruity hops ala Mosaic, Simcoe, Citra. Slight alcohol detected in flavor.
Distinctly different hop profile than Pliny, much more fruity and probably the best example of a ""new wave" IPA i have had, with the cutting edge fruity hops, while Pliny stands as the classic and best crafted western IPA. Most comparable DIPA I have had was Enjoy By 4/20/14

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle poured into DFH/SN IPA glass.

A: Luscious golden coloration, creamy off white head. Significant carbonation constantly bubbling to the surface.

S: Well that's interesting. Orange peel, passionfruit, hints of banana, lemondrops. Triple sec with hints of alcohol. The smell is tropical and sweet.

T: Wow. Again, orange, tropical fruits, honey. Sweet. Barely any hop bitterness on the finish.

M: Light, carbonated, refreshing. This is 9.8%??

Overall: If you look at my profile, and my previous reviews, you will see I love big stouts, barleywines, and the like. I like sweeter beers with high ABV. I've had Heady, Pliny, Sucks, Hopslam, and I've always maintained my preference for maltier, less hoppy beers. Maybe that's why I like this so much. This is the best IPA I've ever had. I will buy much more of this and drink it all summer.

4.83/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Simply awesome beer, top 3 DIPA hands down! If you see this beer buy it!

4.83/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle bought from Whole Foods in Cleveland, OH. Served in tulip glass.

Appearance: Great looking double IPA with good head retention, very nice lacing, deep orange color, mostly clear with a bit of cloudiness.

Smell: Pungent mango, guava and peach aromas. Exceptionally rich smells here.

Taste: Red licorice and sweetness on front that covers up the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Not cloying, very nice on the back end with a little bit of stickiness. Very pleasant, sweet and rich double IPA.

Overall: Well executed double IPA with lofty tropical aromas. A pleasure to drink.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint

A. Pours amber in color, mostly transparent with 1 finger of white foamy head that lasts about a minute then subsides as a film over the surface leaving a spider leg lacing around the glass.

S. Some nice tropical fruits mixed with sweet malts. Grapefruit, mango, biscuit cookie, caramel, strawberry, banana. Smells very inviting for me.

T. Wow. This is superb. All the flavors on the nose agree here. But now I get a little bitterness. Some grassy aftertaste. But the flavors are so balanced. This tropical fruit with the sweet malts and bitterness all blend together so well. I always heard this is good. But this is top 3 if not #1 DIPA for me. Just awesome.

M. The body is perfect for the style I think. 4 on a 1-10 scale. Medium with a slight light/silkyness to it. The carbonation is spot on too. Slaps the tongue when it hits the mouth and continues to spike for a second after the swallow. Finishes pretty clean and makes you want more.

O. There is not much I could say bad about this beer. I was expecting it to be good but not this good. 1 of the best DIPA's i've ever had hands down. I WILL be going back for more.

Chillwave Double IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.