Chillwave Double IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Chillwave Double IPAChillwave Double IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: CaptCleveland on 02-17-2013

Formerly known as Alchemy Hour Double IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chillwave Double IPA Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 440 | Hads: 2,999
4.8/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into tulip glass.

Look - Slightly hazed copper/amber color with a small amount of head. Possibly has lost a little luster due to this bottle being past the best by date of June 7th.

Smell - Citrus and more citrus along with some piney and grapefruit smell

Taste - Citrusy with a nice hop flavor and not overly bitter. Very smooth which could get you into trouble with the 9.4% ABV.

Feel - Moderate carbonation and very smooth

Overall - One of my favorite DIPA's and another solid brew by the Great Lakes crew! Wish I could get this year round! (570 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

It was really tough for me not to give this beer all 5s. Pours a dark copper color w/ a beautiful off-white 3 finger head. The nose is citrus, citrus and more citrus. Wonderful smelling. The taste up front is sweet/citrusy with a piney dank finish. The 9.4% ABV is well hidden (which can get you in trouble). Very easy drinking DIPA. An A beer all the way! (356 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

Reviewed 4-10-15. Best By 5-7-15. Threshold glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep copper with 1 finger foamy off-white head. Dissipates quickly. Some suspended particulate matter, but mostly clear. FEw bubbles, little carbonation, excellent lacing.

Aroma: Intensely fruity. Light, tropical, citrusy. Sweet. Mango. Peaches. Apricot.

Taste: Sweet arrival, fruity, tart, sweet; bitter mid-palate; very bitter finish. Lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Hefty, but not heavy. Little carb (less than the last bottle).

Overall: Surprised by how seemingly light and easy-drinking this is for a DIPA. Had 2 other bottles of this, and this one is far less carbonated than the other two. I am just not able to drink these "big" beers anymore. 7.5% is where I call it quits. That said, this is delicious. When in the mood for Hoppy Goodness, this is great. I think I let this one get too warm. (891 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Bright golden hue with medium to small head, somewhat hazy

S-A readily apparent citrus hop aroma, orange, grapefruit, citrus.

T-A wonderfully balanced yet powerful citrus character and you get earthy and piney flavors. Provides a clean finish.

M-Moderate carbonation and malt presence.

O-A Double IPA that smooth and doesn't produce a pucker. It ranks as one of my favorite IPAs. (389 characters)

This is the beer that has ruined all other beer for me. I know I'll never find a beer better than this. The beer upon which all others will be judged. Citrusy, tropical fruit to start with nice hop finish. (205 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: rich, dark orange hue with a dash of haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is a finger of creamy light-tan foam; quite attractive indeed.

Smell: richly aromatic with floral, piney, herby, earthy hops atop a rather sweet malt base. Quite enticing.

Taste: sweet and rich with earthy, floral and ever so slightly fruity hops. Bitterness is somewhat low for the style but it's smooth and enjoyable. Good stuff!

Mouthfeel: medium body with a rich carbonation and a great creaminess, especially for the style.

Overall: not bad at all. I'm not always a DIPA guy, but this is quite a tasty treat. (654 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a golden honey amber with pillowy white head. Nose is a sweet hop profile, zesty, with notes of tropical fruit and citrus. Taste is a nice hop front with plenty of citrusy and juicy elements, touch of honey, and nice caramel malt backbone to balance out flavors. A sweeter finish than expected with mild bitterness. Medium body with crisp finish. This is an excellent double IPA that I would seek out again. (413 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a single 12oz bottle in a mixed six pack. I always try to get this beer whenever I see it as usually it's the first Great Lakes beer to run out from what I've noticed, and for a good reason: This is a SOLID double IPA.

Poured a beautiful, clear, copper/orange type color with 1 finger width head.

Picked up loads of grapefruit and citrus on the nose right away as I have before with this beer, but something was different this time as it wasn't as pungent as before.

The taste is almost just as you would expect after smelling this beer. I'm not blown away by the bitterness as I love IPA's, but it allows me to notice the nice malt characters that follow a forward hop bomb. Each sip wanted me coming back for more sweet, grapefruity goodness. You can tell it's not a session IPA for sure, but the 9.4% ABV is pleasantly masked.

Towards the end is where I saw the beer lacking as opposed to other times I have had this. The carbonation was virtually gone. Had to finish off about 5 ounces of flat beer. I know this was a fluke, and I'm glad I only bought one bottle of this. Must not have been fresh or just not handled properly. Didn't bother to look at the date I was just glad to see one on the shelf! Can't wait to get my hands on a fresh one next time! (1,276 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look- fairly dark orange-brown
Smell- the high-point of this beer for me. Melon and hops.
Taste- unfortunately not as solid as the nose in my opinion. impressive for 9.4% alcohol but the 80 IBU is a bit much for me. I get melon and citrus sweetness but the hop bitterness reigned supreme.
Feel- medium. fairly carbonated

Overall, a pretty good beer I'm not sure I'd seek out again. I'm admittedly not an IPA guy, so if I'm gunna drink one, I prefer the hops to be a little more subtle. This one's both hop-forward and has a predominantly hoppy aftertaste. (559 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW. That's the best five words I can come up with. Delicious! Balanced with malty flavor and good hop character. A highly professional brew. These guys obviously know what they're doing. I hope they're at the Beer Fest in Boston this weekend! (265 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

- spiegelau ipa glass.

A: Autumn orange, good clarity, mixture of micro-macro effervesce with a medium tension. Light beige capping, average retention, bready texture topping lapsing to a skim covering. Small eye lash lacing.

S: Fresh grapefruit juice/orange juice of good level. Hints of dry, sweet grains, fresh pine finishing with a semi-dry citrus hopping. Average length of duration.

T: Flavor had a high level of lemon-citrus bittering, flowery orange and toasty grain sweetness. Wet, lip quenching citrus upfront , some dry pine and warming hop bitterness on the finish.

M: Malty depth, smooth texture, small carbonation factor, chewy, toasty, bready. Spicy, dry warmth of hops afterglow.

O: Spicy warmth, toasty malt, very good flavor that is smooth, hoppy, feeling every bit its 9.4% abv. Six pack worthy, good drink-ability, gentle fade off the tongue of spicy citrus begs for more with an overall outstanding quality. six pack worthy, repeat factor. (970 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a beautiful deep amber with a small head that lingers for minimal lacing. Smells and flavors of tropical fruits, citrus and hint of pine. Malt is well balanced and there is a noticeable bite from the alcohol. Overall a very good DIPA. (240 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into DFH IPA glass.
Enjoy by date of 5/3/15, but that's only 6 days ago, so I'm sure the taste is still fine.

Appearance - 4.5/5
Bright orange, moderately clear. A good amount of carbonation can be seen rising up the beer. Several fingers of off-white head. This looks like a good brew and I am excited to try it. A good layer of head stays around for the entirety of the brew.

Smell - 3.75/5
Strong pine hops, with resinous aspects and a little earthy spiciness as well.

Taste - 4/5
Sweet delicious malts with nice pine, citrus, and resin aspects. Not that bitter, rather it's very smooth.

Mouthfeel - 4.25/5
Medium full body. More smooth than crisp. A medium-light amount of slightly higher than medium-light intensity carbonation.

Overall - 4.25/5
This was a great brew, and I would expect nothing less from Great Lakes. I'm glad to see they are expanding their lineup with more quality brews like this one. This is a pretty darn good IPA and I would definitely recommend it. And I very likely will pick up a 6-pack for myself some time soon. (1,057 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Orange cloudy color with nice fluffy head and very sticky lace.. A/T bready, toasty, alcohol sweetness, pineapple, orange, slight tartness, slight alcohol warmth.. Smooth slick body.. Good, a lot more sweetness then expected. (225 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Beautiful brilliant copper amber under a 2” cream colored foam collar that hugs the side of the glass.
S: Melon, biscuit, tropical fruit, citrus.
T: Big fruit flavors seasoned with light caramel, melon, tropical fruit, leading to an assertive bitter finish.
F: Very creamy texture with a medium body and carbonation. The alcohol is soft and not harsh.
O: A big fruity DIPA with a good balance between hop, malt and alcohol flavors. (440 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Pours a slightly cloudy orange. Not copper, not amber, orange. This beer looks like pumpkin juice. Barely any head whatsoever. Not much carbonation. Nice aroma - I get mango, pineapple, citrus, orange, grapefruit, and a blend of other sweet fruity notes. I'm not detecting any pine of hops on the nose. It smells like fruit punch. Light/medium weight, nice and creamy mouthfeel. Sweet fruit up front with notes of mango, grapefruit, and pineapple. Just about on par with the smell. Sweet and juicy all the way through with some malt on the back end. Still lingering sweetness on the aftertaste.

This beer is good, but kinda overrated, in my opinion. It's very fruit forward, to the point where it almost tastes like my daughter's fruit drinks. Way too sweet, not much hop presence at all. What's there is good enough, but I feel like it's missing a critical part of what I love about IIPAs. (921 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a pale amber with little to no head. Aroma isn't crushing me, but reminds me of fresh tropical fruit. Big grapefruit notes. Flavor is more vegital than I expected. It's clean, but so clearly different than any IPA I have tried recently. Some tangerine maybe, but once again, vegita to a degree. Hints of caramel malts. Not a huge amount of bitterness. Has the making of an American BW, but refuses to go there. At time I flat out love it and at time I flat out hate it. This is one of the single most interesting beers I have tried.

Overall, this is certainly a seek and find beer. Maybe the hardest beer I've had to rate (637 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance - orange body with off white head

Smell - mango, pineapple, orange, honey

Taste - mango, nectarine, pineapple, honey

mouthfeel - medium bodied, medium carbonation, citrus sweetness upfront, bitterness in the back end

Overall - very good IPA (255 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a deep Orange. Strong dank hop aroma. A mix of pine and citrus. Well balanced with a full malt body with some lingering sweetness. Finishes dry and bitter. Glad I found this randomly in the cooler section. It's about four months old, can't wait to try this fresh next year. (280 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A truly unique dipa....honey malts add an awesome sweet caramel taste countered by a good hop bitterness and noticeable mosaic hop grapefruit taste... man I wish this was more readily available...definitely drink these bad boys fresh (233 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2015-04-18
12oz bottle poured into a snifter. "Enjoy by" date is 06/08/15.

Pours clear copper amber with a medium, sustained head and a fair amount of very fine carbonation. Aroma is strong. Citrus and pine.Alcohol.

Taste is bitter -- pine, a little citrus, very bitter. A slight tartness maybe like grapefruit. As you become accustomed to the bitterness, a slight caramelly sweetness comes out, which is nice.

Mouthfeel is smooth, sticky, thick. Overall, pretty good beer. (476 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served at 37F in a gold rimmed goblet.

Top tier DIPA here.

The best DIPA that I can find in a retail store on a regular basis. Stone Enjoy By seems to be a little more hoppy and refined, but this is right there with it. Victory Dirtwolf is pretty close too, but Chillwave is my favorite at the moment.

Chillwave is not your usual DIPA either. It has much more of a pilsner malt backbone with a very earthy and piney hop resin that meshes well with this omnipresent malt character.

It doesn't taste anything like a 9.7 % abv ale. You really have to be careful because you can't taste much alcohol with this one. These go down very easily.

Color is the typical copper dark orange that most DIPA's carry.

Nose is malty, vegetal and piney.

Lacing and head is small, but give it jiggle and it carbonates quickly to your desired foam level.

Taste, as I mentioned before is very unique and absolutely delicious. Malty, bready, hoppy, piney and earthy all balanced in a perfect taste package. (997 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Quick review. Tried & tried to like this DIPA but it's just not gonna happen. The nose is great, tons of grapefruit & citrus to spare. The issue I have is with the lingering & potent malt-sweet quality that just dominates the palate, moreso than any other DIPA that I've tried. I mean, objectively it is a well crafted & dense take on the style, just not for me. (366 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my tulip glasses, this beer pours a mainly clear, light to medium amber/copper color with some steady streams of bubbles continuously rising to the beer's surface along with a nice, frothy looking head that is about 2/3 to 3/4 inch thick when first poured before settling to a solid 1/3 to 1/4 of an inch thick about 5 minutes are first being poured. Excellent lacing too. Aromas of molasses, caramel malt sweetness followed by a sappy, resinous piney smell with hints of mango, pineapple, grapefruit, apricot and also a slight smoky spiced note. Has a molasses, caramel malt sweetness upfront flavorwise that gives way to a resinous hint of honey and piney and citrusy hop notes with fruity hints of mango, pineapple, and apricot. The taste rounds out with a slightly smoky spice note that really lingers. An excellent and complex flavor profile. Has a crisp, somewhat frothy and slightly creamy, slightly oily and resinous, medium bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Drinkability is superb! I can't believe it took me this long to sit down and really enjoy this beer to this degree. Another damn fine beer here from Great Lakes!

Eric (1,207 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%

Lovely clear Amber color with a white head. Smells mildly citrusy. Good mouthfeel with a medium-heavy body. Taste is bitter, just the right amount of malty. Wish the taste was more floral or citrusy. (199 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Chillwave Double IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.