Chillwave Double IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Chillwave Double IPAChillwave Double IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: CaptCleveland on 02-17-2013

Formerly known as Alchemy Hour Double IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chillwave Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,965 | Reviews: 499
4.04/5  rDev -5.8%

Reviewed 4-10-15. Best By 5-7-15. Threshold glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep copper with 1 finger foamy off-white head. Dissipates quickly. Some suspended particulate matter, but mostly clear. FEw bubbles, little carbonation, excellent lacing.

Aroma: Intensely fruity. Light, tropical, citrusy. Sweet. Mango. Peaches. Apricot.

Taste: Sweet arrival, fruity, tart, sweet; bitter mid-palate; very bitter finish. Lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Hefty, but not heavy. Little carb (less than the last bottle).

Overall: Surprised by how seemingly light and easy-drinking this is for a DIPA. Had 2 other bottles of this, and this one is far less carbonated than the other two. I am just not able to drink these "big" beers anymore. 7.5% is where I call it quits. That said, this is delicious. When in the mood for Hoppy Goodness, this is great. I think I let this one get too warm.

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Bright golden hue with medium to small head, somewhat hazy

S-A readily apparent citrus hop aroma, orange, grapefruit, citrus.

T-A wonderfully balanced yet powerful citrus character and you get earthy and piney flavors. Provides a clean finish.

M-Moderate carbonation and malt presence.

O-A Double IPA that smooth and doesn't produce a pucker. It ranks as one of my favorite IPAs.

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

Knock you on your ass, like anything but a chill wave.
That being said delicious on all counts.

This is the beer that has ruined all other beer for me. I know I'll never find a beer better than this. The beer upon which all others will be judged. Citrusy, tropical fruit to start with nice hop finish.

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My favorite beer from Great Lakes, wish I could find Chilwave around the philly area more often. Does anyone know if this is a seasonal release?

4.04/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: rich, dark orange hue with a dash of haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is a finger of creamy light-tan foam; quite attractive indeed.

Smell: richly aromatic with floral, piney, herby, earthy hops atop a rather sweet malt base. Quite enticing.

Taste: sweet and rich with earthy, floral and ever so slightly fruity hops. Bitterness is somewhat low for the style but it's smooth and enjoyable. Good stuff!

Mouthfeel: medium body with a rich carbonation and a great creaminess, especially for the style.

Overall: not bad at all. I'm not always a DIPA guy, but this is quite a tasty treat.

4.07/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a golden honey amber with pillowy white head. Nose is a sweet hop profile, zesty, with notes of tropical fruit and citrus. Taste is a nice hop front with plenty of citrusy and juicy elements, touch of honey, and nice caramel malt backbone to balance out flavors. A sweeter finish than expected with mild bitterness. Medium body with crisp finish. This is an excellent double IPA that I would seek out again.

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

nice and sweet love the taste got a buzz on real quick

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a single 12oz bottle in a mixed six pack. I always try to get this beer whenever I see it as usually it's the first Great Lakes beer to run out from what I've noticed, and for a good reason: This is a SOLID double IPA.

Poured a beautiful, clear, copper/orange type color with 1 finger width head.

Picked up loads of grapefruit and citrus on the nose right away as I have before with this beer, but something was different this time as it wasn't as pungent as before.

The taste is almost just as you would expect after smelling this beer. I'm not blown away by the bitterness as I love IPA's, but it allows me to notice the nice malt characters that follow a forward hop bomb. Each sip wanted me coming back for more sweet, grapefruity goodness. You can tell it's not a session IPA for sure, but the 9.4% ABV is pleasantly masked.

Towards the end is where I saw the beer lacking as opposed to other times I have had this. The carbonation was virtually gone. Had to finish off about 5 ounces of flat beer. I know this was a fluke, and I'm glad I only bought one bottle of this. Must not have been fresh or just not handled properly. Didn't bother to look at the date I was just glad to see one on the shelf! Can't wait to get my hands on a fresh one next time!

3.99/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look- fairly dark orange-brown
Smell- the high-point of this beer for me. Melon and hops.
Taste- unfortunately not as solid as the nose in my opinion. impressive for 9.4% alcohol but the 80 IBU is a bit much for me. I get melon and citrus sweetness but the hop bitterness reigned supreme.
Feel- medium. fairly carbonated

Overall, a pretty good beer I'm not sure I'd seek out again. I'm admittedly not an IPA guy, so if I'm gunna drink one, I prefer the hops to be a little more subtle. This one's both hop-forward and has a predominantly hoppy aftertaste.

4.94/5  rDev +15.2%

I would seek this one

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers from Great Lakes

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW. That's the best five words I can come up with. Delicious! Balanced with malty flavor and good hop character. A highly professional brew. These guys obviously know what they're doing. I hope they're at the Beer Fest in Boston this weekend!

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Honey and floral. Excellent bitter. Incredible.

2.8/5  rDev -34.7%

Lingering malt taste that I do not like.

4.26/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer. It was fresh citrussy and strong.

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my personal favorite IPAs. Smooth with a nice finish... enjoy out a snifter instead of the bottle -- very important (at least to me).

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

- spiegelau ipa glass.

A: Autumn orange, good clarity, mixture of micro-macro effervesce with a medium tension. Light beige capping, average retention, bready texture topping lapsing to a skim covering. Small eye lash lacing.

S: Fresh grapefruit juice/orange juice of good level. Hints of dry, sweet grains, fresh pine finishing with a semi-dry citrus hopping. Average length of duration.

T: Flavor had a high level of lemon-citrus bittering, flowery orange and toasty grain sweetness. Wet, lip quenching citrus upfront , some dry pine and warming hop bitterness on the finish.

M: Malty depth, smooth texture, small carbonation factor, chewy, toasty, bready. Spicy, dry warmth of hops afterglow.

O: Spicy warmth, toasty malt, very good flavor that is smooth, hoppy, feeling every bit its 9.4% abv. Six pack worthy, good drink-ability, gentle fade off the tongue of spicy citrus begs for more with an overall outstanding quality. six pack worthy, repeat factor.

2.92/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Way too much grapefruit flavor for me.

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, less talked about than deserved. I'd give it a review but it's technically 2 weeks past its best by date so maybe next year I can get another.

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a beautiful deep amber with a small head that lingers for minimal lacing. Smells and flavors of tropical fruits, citrus and hint of pine. Malt is well balanced and there is a noticeable bite from the alcohol. Overall a very good DIPA.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Floral and citrus. Leaves you wanting more... I could drink this all night.

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into DFH IPA glass.
Enjoy by date of 5/3/15, but that's only 6 days ago, so I'm sure the taste is still fine.

Appearance - 4.5/5
Bright orange, moderately clear. A good amount of carbonation can be seen rising up the beer. Several fingers of off-white head. This looks like a good brew and I am excited to try it. A good layer of head stays around for the entirety of the brew.

Smell - 3.75/5
Strong pine hops, with resinous aspects and a little earthy spiciness as well.

Taste - 4/5
Sweet delicious malts with nice pine, citrus, and resin aspects. Not that bitter, rather it's very smooth.

Mouthfeel - 4.25/5
Medium full body. More smooth than crisp. A medium-light amount of slightly higher than medium-light intensity carbonation.

Overall - 4.25/5
This was a great brew, and I would expect nothing less from Great Lakes. I'm glad to see they are expanding their lineup with more quality brews like this one. This is a pretty darn good IPA and I would definitely recommend it. And I very likely will pick up a 6-pack for myself some time soon.

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Orange cloudy color with nice fluffy head and very sticky lace.. A/T bready, toasty, alcohol sweetness, pineapple, orange, slight tartness, slight alcohol warmth.. Smooth slick body.. Good, a lot more sweetness then expected.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Beautiful brilliant copper amber under a 2” cream colored foam collar that hugs the side of the glass.
S: Melon, biscuit, tropical fruit, citrus.
T: Big fruit flavors seasoned with light caramel, melon, tropical fruit, leading to an assertive bitter finish.
F: Very creamy texture with a medium body and carbonation. The alcohol is soft and not harsh.
O: A big fruity DIPA with a good balance between hop, malt and alcohol flavors.

Chillwave Double IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.