Chillwave Double IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Chillwave Double IPAChillwave Double IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: CaptCleveland on 02-17-2013

Formerly known as Alchemy Hour Double IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chillwave Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,963 | Reviews: 499
4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- poured from a sealed growler I got a week ago into a imperial tulip glass I have. transparent amber color with a nice frothy white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S- spicy citrus hops. some slight alcohol detected.

T- definitely the citrusy spicy notes from the hops. get some sweetness from the malt. bitterness is there but not overpowering anything. the citrus taste to me like heavy oranges, light grapefruit, and also a slight tropical fruit detected. not really getting any alcohol from the abv. also detect some very slight esters from the yeast.

M- a lighter heavy bodied beer or maybe a medium/ heavy bodied if you want. carbonation is good from being sealed for a week and kept cold.

DRINKABILITY- glad I got a growler of this!

Overall- I've had this in four packs and even before the name change but like all beer (to me) it's better from the tap. I remember the hops being not so pungent from the bottle. I will say I do appreciate a imperial ipa or even a standard ipa that isn't blasted with bitterness that it mutes the hop flavor.

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Proof that beer ratings don't always sway the palate, I went into this one super excited only to leave disappointed. While not a bad beer by any stretch, it isn't a 95 in TheIPAHunter's® book. Picked up two 4-packs prior to my fantasy baseball draft and left 6 of them in Pennsylvania to be shared by others who may enjoy the flavor profile more than me. You get hints of Mosaic hops in the nose and the taste, but the malt addition is a bit too much for my taste. I believe this was done to drown out the ABV and, while it works, it's to the detriment of the wonderful citrus notes that Mosaic hops can provide. Glad to have tried, but won't be seeking this one again in the near future.

3.02/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Wanted to love this based on reviews but just don't get it. Pours syrupy, dark golden and looks great. Leaves one hell of a lacing but has a strange aroma. taste was overly bitter on the mid palate and finished with an indescribable off taste, maybe oxidation? Ended up pouring this one out.

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

In a tulip the beer was a nice amber color with a small white head.
Lots of citrus in the aroma, some sweetness in the background.
Grapefruit and orange taste. Some tropical fruit. Still pretty sweet and sugary.
Not a hop bomb.
Nice beer.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

At the moment, hoppy beers abound in the cellar.
Had 1st Pliny the Elder last week, Nugget Nectar is stocked, and I just found the last remaining Hopslam in this region. All great beers.

This is a great DIPA, and I agree with Jason's Alstrom's review wholeheartedly

Great beer. not Pliny, but certainly a superb rendering of the style. Luscious tropical fruits, beautiful hops, nice malt presence. recommended

3.23/5  rDev -24.7%

This is a pain the butt. I should have to write reviews if I dont feel like I want to. I believe that we are all responsible adults on this site and the drop downs are more than enough and if we want to write a review we can

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is just a really good DIPA.

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

In my opinion, this is similar to Great Lakes Commodore Perry and Lake Erie Monster. They really didn't come up with anything new just tweaked their current brews. Becuase of this, I am disappointed with this beer from Great Lakes. Overall, it probably is better than the rating I gave it, but they can do so much better.

The big kicker was that the malt backbone covers up the alcohol AND hop taste. Yes, it is awesome that this is 9.4%, but I don't mind a little alcohol taste and I want to have those hops upfront and personal with a double IPA. Too much malt.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

One of the best DIPA's out there

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Best by 6/2/15

Pours honey golden/copper. Little to no head and disappears except for faint ring around the glass.

Smell is very citrus with grapefruit, orange, and lemon.

Taste follows with a lot of citrus juice, mostly grapefruit. Sugary sweetness mixed in but doesn't balance out the dominant tropical happiness. A touch of bitterness and tang. Citrus backs off some and more bitterness becomes prevalent

Medium body and medium carbonation. Long finish and bitterness hangs around a little bit.

A really juicy hop forward DIPA with tons of citrus. Not a whole lot of malt balance but it does carry some sweetness to keep it from getting out of hand. The citrus does hit hard up front but backs off a bit. Something I'll defintely pick up again.

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Perfect blend of sweet malt and piney/citrusy hop favors. Great DIPA.

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a clear glass tulip. Best by 06/05/15 on side of label. Purchased at Market Street Wineshop (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Clear orange-amber with 1-finger, mildly frothy light beige head with average retention and copious lacing at the top of the glass.

S: Major hop complexity in the nose with pine, tropical fruit like mango and passionfruit, pink grapefruit and orange citrus, light pine, and floral melon aromas. Malt is a little bit of very light caramel but much is overwhelmed by hops. No yeast or alcohol in the aroma.

T: The flavor is very good, not quite as complex as the aroma, but delicious combination of hefty 2-row pale malt with very light grainy edge and low L crystal malt with a layered hop bomb presence. Hops flavor is dominated by grapefruit and pine with floral melon and light berry flavors and dank edge in the background. No yeast character. Alcohol provides a bitter edge to the flavor, and the overall bitterness is medium. A very wide palate of flavors and one I would like to match up side by side with Victory Dirt Wolf of Stone Enjoy By for comparing intensity.

M: Nice dry finish with light-medium body and medium-high carbonation.

O: Chillwave DIPA from GLBC is an amazing DIPA with a top-tier aroma and unique, new-school hop presence with berry-melon accent on a more traditional citrus-pine base with stellar feel -- an exceptional DIPA with IIPA ABV. Wonderful brew!

4.86/5  rDev +13.3%

incredible. first time trying a great lakes beer. one of the best dipa's ive ever had

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My 2nd beer from Ohio after Juju. This Chillwave is best before 5/03/2015 which tells me this is over 2-3 months old if I'm not mistaken as today is 3/28.

Tropical fruit, sticky dank Pineapple & Mango. Honey maybe? Holy schitt if this were two weeks old in the bottle and malt a bit less present, this may just have got near a perfect 5.

Carbonation is spot on and no booze to speak of for the 9.4% ABV. Fantastic beer.

I'd love to re-review this one uber fresh. So far, this Californian is more impressed with Ohio than Vermont.

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A fine mix of sugar, clover and malt from what I perceived. Very tasty, the mouth feel can be mistaken as slightly syrupy although it seems that there is a subtle note of orange and orange peel.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic beer. Amazing nose, very drinkable for the high abv

3.79/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Very sweet DIPA. Almost syrupy. I see the very high reviews for this and wonder if I got an off batch, but I'm not in love. I get very little hop presence. Nothing offensive, but not a beer I would get again.

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%

Sorry guys but I could tell right away this was a malty dipa.. Def not my sweet spot.

4.31/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A great Double IPA. A lot of mango and citrus qualities. Glad I bought the last 4 pack. Want this on tap.

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The good reviews for this one are right on. Nothing new that i could say.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

12 oz bottle poured in a can glass. Citrus aroma, and the Mosaic hops are good. Very smooth for a double IPA. Incredible well balanced, but still hop forward. Outstanding beer that you can keep on drinking.

Being in GA it is only when I travel that I can get my hands on Great Lakes brews. I find their products to be consistent with style and always clean front and back. I stumbled on Chillwave in a craft shop in NC. I have not been able to acquire Heady Topper or Pseudo Sue, but I can't imagine anything better than this CW stuff. Bronze color, floral and citric aroma with a malty wildflower honey background, and a taste that follows perfectly. CLEAN crisp and absolutely delicious. The best 2xipa I have found to date. I am going to have to find a recipe clone for this. Highly recommend!

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best IPA they they brew.

4.46/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Clear copper color with a one-finger head that faded to a thin film, but left some nice lacing. Smell was big tropical and citrus fruit, with some slight piney aromas. The taste was of pineapple, mango and grapefruit, with a nice sweet malt backbone. Very complex, but all the flavors were distinct, yet well blended. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, with a nice crisp finish. Overall, this is one outstanding beer. Well done, Great Lakes!

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

BOD 3/5/15. Almost clear pour that is medium amber with a moderate ruby cast. Normal head volume, outstanding retention and World Class lacing.

Nice, but moderately intense, nose of tropical hops (mango, passion fruit) with a touch of spicy pepper over a slight caramel.

Light medium body with a smooth texture. Above normal carbonation with a nice effervescence in the middle and a strong burst in the finish.

The flavor profile is world class. It is reasonably intense, rather complex and very well balanced. The 9.4% alcohol is evident only in the finish. It begins with a burst of sweet fruit that separates into mango, passion fruit and orange. The middle effervesces into a mild orange rind bitterness over a fading caramel base sweetness with a touch of spicy pepper. The finish is a lingering subtle rind bitterness with alcohol notes.

Chillwave Double IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.