Great Lakes Holy Moses - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Holy MosesGreat Lakes Holy Moses

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: PhantomVodoo on 04-06-2003

2.1/5  rDev -45%

First, let me say I am a GLBC fan and of witbier, but not ofHoly Moses. My nose sent off warning signals when I took a whiff, but it looked good in a pilsner glass. There was not one distinctive taste that jumped out at me, but the overall spiciness was too much. It felt smooth in my mouth and throat, but the aftertaste was not refreshing. I would never drink this again.

2.35/5  rDev -38.5%

I don't know what happened here. So far this is the only Great Lakes brew that I tried and didn't love. I'm sorry but it just wasn't good...at all. Citric acid taste. Sour lemony flavors. There are tons a flowery notes to go along with it. I didn't enjoy this one and could barely finish it.

2.38/5  rDev -37.7%

This beer pours a cloudy, bright, almost neon yellow color with a small head and a little lacing on the glass. The aroma was full of citrus with hints of yeast. The taste was very strong and quite spicy. The wheat portion came through strongly, but it was overpowered by the spiciness. I really didn't enjoy this beer much and had a little trouble finishing it.

2.4/5  rDev -37.2%

Got this from a bottle from a GL Sampler pack with a best by date of 3/26/08 into a crystal weizen glass

A - A dark golden color, which is rather hazy. I don't know if this unfiltered or not but there is some thick haziness sitting around in the liquid and looks like strings of something is just sitting there below the head. A decent amount of carbonation is dripping up the sides and the Head is big, puffy and leaves a ton of lacing.

S - smell is mostly citrus along the lines of a slight orange and lemon and also a hint of coriander. Also a slight hint of banana sweetness and also has the characteristic wheaty smell that is seen in the style.

T - hmm, first I have to note that I find this kinda watery in body and even taste. Taste has a slight bananay aspect to it and also a bit of oragne and yeast. However, the overall impression is that there is not too much taste at all but instead just get water. Do get a bit of a nice aftertaste which is a light spice and might have more taste than the beer itself.

MF - as noted above, find this to be rather watery and not too much carbonation at all. I am used to witbiers having a ton of carbonation that attacks your mouth and adds something special to the beer. Have to say that here the body actually ruins the taste and makes this a worse beer.

D - it is drinkable in the same way that Bud is drinkable. It is smooth and not really there. I would definitely not look for this one again and have to say that overall this is so far my least favorite of all of the GL beers that I have had. Usually this brewery makes me want more and more but here they leave me not wanting another one at all.

2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance- hazy gold.

Smell- bitter sharp.

Taste- fruity and very bright. Has an awfully big bight that doesn't let up.

Mouthfeel- thick and round.

Drinkability- hard to drink. Much to bright and bitter. The combination between this and the thickness of the brew makes it a task to get to the bottom.

A good full flavored brew. Defiantly a sipper not a quencher.

2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance: Straw yellow color, with a white and foamy one finger thick head. It has a fairly good amount of retention as well. The lacing is quite thick as well

Smell: Has a light spice smell, also hints of citrus maybe orange. Has a great hoppy smell too

Taste: A very sweet wheat flavor that has hints of citrus as well. The taste is very similar to aroma in this case

Mouthfeel: Has a very frothy feel, with medium carbonation. Has a very nice crisp feel to it as well

Overall: Not much here to this beer, has a good feel and color but other than that it leaves a lot to be desired

2.56/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was a boring and surprisingly mediocre beer from Great Lakes. It smelled and tasted like overripe fruit and had no standout qualities what-so-ever. As a beer it’s not too bad but as a Wit one of the worst examples that I have tasted. I’m going to stay away from it and hope that Great Lakes will stop making it. They’re one of my favorite breweries and it saddens me to know that they make a beer this average.

2.57/5  rDev -32.7%

A - Frothy white with one full inch of ripe head. The body is golden orange with a bit of haze and full of carbonation.

S - Soapy and grainy aroma.

T - Bitter hop flavor into a smooth apricot taste. The finish is a bit pungent in an uncomfortable way.

M - Starts watery and moves to a coarse texture on the outside of my tongue. The finish adds an abrasive feel to the roof of my mouth.

~ As far as a wheat beers go this is a unique in it having a srong bitter flavor. This is not a classic wheat brew. It's not bad but it's not for me.

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First impression when pouring this beer is "thin" compared to other summer wheat beers. Smell has some interesting floral aromas, but again faint and not attention grabbing.

Taste was interesting in some ways, but again "thin" and with a grainy mouthfeel. Very lacking when compared to one of my favorites, Oberon from Bell's Brewing in Kalamazoo, MI. I had 3 bottles from the 6 pack and gave the others away. Usually I love Great Lakes Brewing offerings (Edmund Fitzgerald, Elliot Ness) but this one left me unimpressed.

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

Enjoy by Sep 6, 2005.

Cloudy lemon yellow. Thin ivory white head. Lace is adequate. Dull smell of stale malts and over-ripe lemon. Dull taste as well. Can't find the spices. Just some stale malt tones and slight lemon tones. Nothing bright about this one. I just had the Lake Louie Farmhouse Wit and this is on the total opposite of the spectrum when it comes to wits. Louie being the absolute best and this being one of the worst I've had. My first disappointment from Great Lakes in a long run of very solid brews...

Thanks for this sample Cokes. (But moreso, thanx tenfold for the Louie Growler...)

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a clean yellow with a white head. In the nose, it was floral and Czech hop presence. In the taste, sweet and a bit yeasty, and presence of a standard wheat beer. It is a bit dry in the mouth, yet smooth and easy to drink. A decent summer beer, however I still am not that partial to wheat beers in general.

2.82/5  rDev -26.2%

A - Pale, cloudy gold in color. Poured with 1 fingers worth of head, and leaves a thin ring of foam.

S - Orange peel, and some other baking type spices. Some wheat also.

T - First I get some nice sweetness, and then some of the orange peel and spices. There is a little bit of vegetable flavor on the tail end, but not much.

M - Thin, but not watery. Very little carbonation. Leaves my mouth very wet, slightly metallic, but not in a off flavor kind of way.

D - On the whole, not bad. I would drink this under the right circumstances, but it would not be a go to beer.

2.84/5  rDev -25.7%

A: [3.50] Pale yellow in color. The beer has a 1 1/2 finger head when poured into the nonic glass. The head is bright white and dense. It does not leave lacing on the glass. The bottle lists the best by date of 7/31/15 and the ABV at 5.4%.

S: [2.00] Bright blast of Belgian yeast. My least favorite scent in the beer world.

T: [3.00] The taste is milder than the nose. There is some light caramel under the Belgian yeast and wheat flavor. I also get an orange flavor at the end.

M: [3.50] The mouth feel is nice. It has mild carbonation and medium body.

O: [3.00] I think Great Lakes got what they wanted here. Unfortunately I really do not like a Belgian yeast scent. It totally dominates the nose. I feel bad rating it poorly since I am sure it is well executed - but the rating is for me, not for you.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

A: A slightly hazy straw color with hints of peach. An adequate half-inch white head that quickly dissipates to a thin lacing.

S: A tart aroma of a spice I can't quite peg (possibly the chamomile noted on the bottle, because it's definitely not coriander) mixed with yeast.

T: Taste of hops (yes, hops), coriander and yeast bite greet the palate. Much more bitter up front than I would have anticipated from a Witbier. No real malt flavor as it quickly proceeds to a dry finish, with the bitterness of hops--along with bitter orange peel--and the mix of spices lingering on the tongue.

M: Very effervescent... almost too bubbly, feeling very foamy in the mouth.

D: Like any Belgian Wit, this is definitely a session beer.

Overall: I'll admit it's been a while since I've had a Belgian Wit, so perhaps my palate's a bit off. However, the BJCP guidelines seem to confirm my general thoughts: that this beer is too bitter and lacks the sweet citrus notes generally associated with Witbier. I fear that an American Witbier--a neutered, more Pils-like version of a Witbier--is developing just as the boring American Hefeweizen developed here in the States. Holy Moses is a good beer on its own, but it lacks the uniqueness that generally leads me to choose a Wit over a pale lager.

2.91/5  rDev -23.8%

A: a pale dusty yellow. Plenty of bubble action swirling about. Fizzy bleach white cap with some retention, a slow melting process. Moderate lacing

S: nose is a mix of yeast some barley/grains and a lightly sweet earthiness. Nothing much to brag about

T: seems true to the nose. Pretty mild overall with a doughy bread character at the front. Slight earthy bitterness with some peppery wheat notes, if any type of spice does exist I am awaiting its arrival. Finishes clean with a trifling wet cardboard finish

M: light, crisp, and mildly refreshing

O: I pass. One of the lesser favorites from Great Lakes

2.91/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I expect a lot from this brewery, which makes some great beers, but this white ale didn't stand up to some others I've had, namely Clown Shoes Clementine and Otter Creek Fresh Slice. I'd rather not have another, but, unfortunately, this came in a variety pack impulse buy.

2.92/5  rDev -23.6%

MY Beeradvocate.com buddy mpingjr brought this up for the weekend for me to try.

Appearance: It poured a pale straw-golden color, with a nice white sized head that forms and leaves a thick trail of lacing on the rim.

Scent: Wafting citrus type aroma reminded me of ...lemon and orange peels, and to many fresh spices herein to list lol.

Taste: Sweet with some tangy tasting citrus flavours, and abundant spices that blended realy well together.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth

Drinkability: Was way better than I expected. Will drink it again soon hopefully.

2.96/5  rDev -22.5%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a cloudy yellowish color with a fizzy white head. Aroma is citrusy, maybe grapefruit, spices, and maybe a hint of grain. Flavor is sweet initially, with a slight bitter finish. Light on the palate and very drinkable. Not a bad beer.

2.96/5  rDev -22.5%

A - The first bit of the bottle poured a light gold similar to a macro lager. Once I finished the bottle off with the yeast it turned to a slightly cloudy golden color. Head is a finger and a half and left a decent lacing.

S - Lighter on smell than I would hope, but what is there is full of yeast, banana, and and some other light fruit cocktail aroma.

T - When the beer first hits the tongue it's a perfect wit. However, that only lasts a second until it slides down the throat and a fake wheat and fruit extract flavor hits and the wheat essentially disappears from the beer.

M/D - Mouthfeel is just plain weak. It slides down the throat as aggressively as a Sierra Mist with as much aftertaste as well. This is a reasonably drinkable beer, however for the price, Hoegaarden and many other better witbiers are available.

2.97/5  rDev -22.3%

12oz bottle pours into a Duvel Tulip

A- light, hazy straw colored body, with about a finger of lingering head

S- lots of coriander, orange citrus, and heavy yeast

T- completely missed this in the aroma, but just an overload of chamomile followed by corriander, yeast, and finally..,,nope, just more chamomile

M- nothing too out of the ordinary, Medium body, Slght dry, sticky finish

O- Just not impressed. Too much chamomile. This felt more like an experimental, than a Wit

2.99/5  rDev -21.7%

I picked up a bottle of Great Lakes Holy Moses a couple days ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. It's another warm night in Michigan so I am going to crack another Great Lakes brew to try and quench my thirst, so let's see how it goes. It had a best drink by date of October 17, 2011. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a wiezen glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it looks good and it is well drawn. It poured a nice pale golden straw yellow color with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed the rest of the time and it left some spotty lacing. This is a good looking Witbier that looks even better in a wiezen glass.

S- The first thing I pick up is the wheat and the pale malts, they give this beer a nice bready aroma that combines nicely with that typical spicy yeast that smells mainly of cloves. I also pick up some orange and lemon zest that gives it a nice citrus aroma along with a medium amount of bananas.

T- The aroma gives you an idea of what your getting into but the taste is much heavier on the spice then I thought it would be given the aroma. It pretty much starts out with a light breadyness from the malts and then it is pretty much all about the spices from there. I get some clove and nutmeg from the spices along with a spice that was pretty dominant that I couldn't put my finger on but after reading some other reviews I am pretty sure what I am picking up is chamomile, I can't remember ever trying this spice so it was hard for me to figure out what it was. The citrus aspect that was in the aroma is barley present in the flavor and I only pick up a small amount of orange and lemon zest. The finish has a slight amount of earthy hops and an equally light amount of bitterness that was just right for this beer.

M- Crisp, on the lighter side of medium bodied and just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall I thought this was an average Witbier. It was ok but not great and I feel like that is because of the heavy amount of spices in the beer, a little spice can go a long way and it seems like there was just to many spices in this beer, it wasn't as bad as Harpoons Winter Warmer but most of the flavors in the beer got drowned out by the spices. I liked the look, mouthfeel and drinkability the most about this beer. I liked the large amount of spices in this beer the least. I don't think I would buy this beer again, there are many other widely available Witbier's that have better balance. If you are a die hard Witbier fan and like your beers heavily spiced then you might want to give this a try but I wouldn't put that much effort into it. I can't say this beer is as solid as the rest of their lineup and it could use some tweaking, so far this has been my least favorite brew from them. As far as Witbiers go I wouldn't turn it down if I was offered one but I feel like Blue Moons Grand Cru was better and more balanced making that still my favorite Witbier to date.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours hazy, but but bright lemon yellow. Head is moderate and dissipates quickly.

Smell is grainy lemon with generous spices - corriander, pepper, and chamomile.

Taste is similiar to the nose. Very lemony and strong spices. Sweet malt is very understated.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied.

Overall, I found thid brew to be one dimentional. A would have preferred something more full flavored and a little more complexity. There are better Witbier's out there.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Uhh ... I wonder if anyone here has ever had chamomile tea? Because if you have, it's what you can expect in this beer beyond the typical characteristics of the style. The beer is interesting, but way, way too much like chamomile tea, like someone dropped a teabag into a run-of-the-mill witbier. Otherwise, this beer is pretty good, but I couldn't get past the (over)interpretiveness. Needs more of a citrus kick, less bitterness.

3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a hazy, pale yellow color with a medium white head.

Smells yeasty with grassy sweet malts.

Taste is quite grassy, slightly lemony, with interesting spices. It's a bit thick and feels quite yeasty and bready.

Not extremely drinkable only due to thickness. It's a little sweet, but added to a thick, heavy bread feel, it's a slow drinker.

An interesting "wheat beer" without being the usual super sweet, super orange ladened beer. Lots of complexities that should keep certain fans happy.

3.09/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours white gold with slight amounts of sediment. Vigorous carbonation kept a steady head for the duration of the drink. Slight lacing as well.

The aroma is led entirely by spices on a foundation of wheat sweetness.

The taste is light and flavorful at the same time. The beginning is full of wheat and a hint of biscuit malt. The spices are light in the beginning, but show through in the aftertaste and stack up after a bit of drinking.

The body is medium full with slightly over-aggressive carbonation which enhances the fullness a bit.

Overall, it was a leaning to the side of spiciness which is not really my cup of tea. I thought it was good and refreshing, but I don't expect to pick it up again.

Great Lakes Holy Moses from Great Lakes Brewing Co.