Great Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked PorterGreat Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: MikeCactusGordon on 05-20-2013)
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Very tasting porter. Not as smoky as I would have liked.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

2.15/5  rDev -45%

Thanks to fiver29 for this bottle, which has been hanging around in my cellar for quite some time in a (I've not found) vain attempt to calm the smoke taste enough for my campfire hating wife. 22 oz. bottle that I (tried to) split with my wife.

Poured expertly by my youngest daughter, the pour is black like butte; I'm waiting for someone to make a clear porter (anyone remember Pepsi Clear?). Nose is heavy on the chocolate & smoke with an eau de toilette of sweet malts. Hershey Campfire.

Class of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter is indeed a 'bacon beer', as my wife would say. Smoke remains overwhelming even after a year in the bottle, like sticking your face into a smoker that's smoking smoke. Chocolate that's prominent in the nose retreats to virtual irrelevance, sitting right next to the malts. Light cream & an echo of bitterness barely show. Thick. Half of a bomber is going to be too much.

All smoke, all the time, there no subtlety, no complexity, nothing but a faceful of musty smoke. On the positive side, you could wave this beer around & frighten away mosquitoes for a good ten feet around. Too great breweries: one drain pour. Not good.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass, just past its best by date of 4/29/14
A: Very dark brown with a one-finger head
S: Smoky, chocolate, grilled meats
T: Again smoke up front, definitely reminds me of smoked pork/turkey, along with some cocoa. The finish takes a somewhat burnt turn
M: Medium-bodied but an astringent finish
O: This has a lot going for it and it's definitely unique compared to anything else I've had from these two breweries. Worth a try though a bit pricey... that being said I think a higher hop profile with the hops' associated flavors and bitterness would add quite a bit to what's there as is

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

With all due respect, not good. Someone else mentioned something about being brewed with old rubber. That is spot on. Smells like a ball of rubber bands. I admit, my expectations were high given that these 2 breweries make some of the best porters in existence, but this is a big miss in my opinion. It does taste better than it smells (thank God) but nothing that would make me buy it again. In fact, I would probably turn it down for free. I am being objective when I say that it is a stretch to rate this as "OK", which is shocking. Looks like I am being harder on it than everyone else maybe? Just baffled. Maybe I had a bad bottle...

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Great Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co.