Great Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked PorterGreat Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: MikeCactusGordon on 05-20-2013)

2.15/5  rDev -45%

Thanks to fiver29 for this bottle, which has been hanging around in my cellar for quite some time in a (I've not found) vain attempt to calm the smoke taste enough for my campfire hating wife. 22 oz. bottle that I (tried to) split with my wife.

Poured expertly by my youngest daughter, the pour is black like butte; I'm waiting for someone to make a clear porter (anyone remember Pepsi Clear?). Nose is heavy on the chocolate & smoke with an eau de toilette of sweet malts. Hershey Campfire.

Class of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter is indeed a 'bacon beer', as my wife would say. Smoke remains overwhelming even after a year in the bottle, like sticking your face into a smoker that's smoking smoke. Chocolate that's prominent in the nose retreats to virtual irrelevance, sitting right next to the malts. Light cream & an echo of bitterness barely show. Thick. Half of a bomber is going to be too much.

All smoke, all the time, there no subtlety, no complexity, nothing but a faceful of musty smoke. On the positive side, you could wave this beer around & frighten away mosquitoes for a good ten feet around. Too great breweries: one drain pour. Not good.

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

With all due respect, not good. Someone else mentioned something about being brewed with old rubber. That is spot on. Smells like a ball of rubber bands. I admit, my expectations were high given that these 2 breweries make some of the best porters in existence, but this is a big miss in my opinion. It does taste better than it smells (thank God) but nothing that would make me buy it again. In fact, I would probably turn it down for free. I am being objective when I say that it is a stretch to rate this as "OK", which is shocking. Looks like I am being harder on it than everyone else maybe? Just baffled. Maybe I had a bad bottle...

2.98/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: a deep brown/ black. opaque and a thin tan head that leaves a side lacing

Smell: smoked maple bacon. not much works its way around that

Taste: some notes of roasted malts and chocolate but i am mostly getting bacon in liquid form. not very drinkable to me

Mouthfeel: leaves a smoky taste behind. other wise of good body

Overall: loved black butte and edmund fitzgerald but this bordered on the wrong side of undrinkable for me. smoked beers just aren't me i guess

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.36/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Poured brown-amber with ribbons of amber showing through – not opaque. Tan head quickly settled and dissipated. Very bubbly with loads of sediment floating.
Aroma: Campfire and leather.
Taste: more smoke, more leather. Balanced and bitter finish.
Mouthfeel: Slick and heavy.
Overall: While many brewers would appreciate nuance and complexity, I feel it would be the half full pitcher at the end of the pizza party.

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

Great Lakes Smoked Porter

Look 8/10
Smell 17/20
Taste 29/40
Feel 8/10
Drinkability 15/20

Overall 77/100

Wasn't a big fan of this... While it had a perfect amount of smoke taste, there's was an unusual 'band aid smell' type taste' like old rubber was used to brew it. Drinkable and all... However, I may keep a bottle unopened just cause I would almost rather have the keepsake than the sub par taste~

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Great Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co.