Great Lakes Silver & Gold IPL - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Silver & Gold IPLGreat Lakes Silver & Gold IPL

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 06-18-2013

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Silver & Gold IPL Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.19/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I've only had a few IPL offerings and this one is really more of an IPA. No lager finish and way heavy on the alcohol IMO.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

The Great Bottle Purge of 2014 is pushing along nicely. Shelf space is beginning to appear in my reefer, the floor is well sorted, the stovetop has the on-deck beers and my tolerance is astounding. I have no idea where I got this, but I am ready to drink it!

From the bottle: "How do you choose between brewing a commemorative lager and a commemorative ale to celebrate 25 years of exceptional beer?"; "You don't. Our Silver & Gold IPL is brewed with Dortmunder Gold Lager yeast and loads of hops, the best of both worlds for the best fans in the world."; "25 Years 1988-3013"; "Our silver anniversary isn't about gold medals. It's about 25 years of passion and heart. Silver & Gold IPL represents our past and present, from original brewmaster Thaine Johnson's Dortmunder Gold recipe and engineer Charlie Price's vision for our Brewhouse to our ever-growing family of beers. Silver & Gold IPL is for our neighbors who've shared pints and stories, for the fans who've challenged us to be exceptional from day one, and for us - a bottled reminder of how far we've come. Brewed with a complex blend of American hops and a mixture of specialty malts, Silver & Gold IPL is bold yet well-balanced, dry yet refreshing. With respect for tradition and a nod to the future, we toast to the next 25 years."

I did not see any settling, but I still poured sort of gently, getting a finger of tawny head with good retention in the process. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. The Unholy Trio of Midas, Mammon and Croesus did not suddenly show up. Instead, they were already here, just based on the beer's name! They are such punks. Nose had a scent of tropical fruits, especially coconut and papaya. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was nothing like the nose, sadly. It was much more bitter, more towards citrus rind and some grass. Not bad, but not what I was expecting. Finish was dry, with some fusel alcohol heat.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Great Lakes Silver & Gold IPL from Great Lakes Brewing Co.