Steam Whistle Pilsner - Steam Whistle Brewing

Steam Whistle Brewing visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2002

We believe that world-class results require focus and dedication, so we developed a distinctive recipe for our single brand based on Europe's renowned brewing standards yet is brewed fresh locally at our independent, Canadian Brewery.

We use traditional brewing techniques and only four natural ingredients including spring water, malted barley, hops and yeast - all GMO-free. There is a fifth ingredient in every refreshing bottle, and that is the passion of our dedicated Brewmaster and staff.
4.77/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

An absolutely fantastic Canadian beer! This is my absolutely favorite beer and I would recommend it to anyone looking to try. The color is pale, the carbonation is refreshing, the smell is intriguing and the taste is phenomenal. I've got all of my buddies drinking it now and anyone who tries it seems to say the same thing: it's an all around awesome beer.

4.47/5  rDev +31.1%

My parents picked up a nifty 12 pack of this, in the form of a suitcase, while they were up at Fenway north. Sweet green retro bottle. Bonus points for superb packaging in both the suitcase (I kept it and use it to bring homebrew places) and bottle.

Clear gold with a thin head. Thin skim of retention floats in the shape of a question mark. A beer for self inquisition?

Honey, floral aroma with some Wonderbread in back. Smells like springtime in the morning.

Crisp and refreshing with mild earthy/herbal hop in back to balance the springtime fresh sweet malt.

Perhaps it's the fact that this beer triggers sensory images of springtime hikes and lakeside trail runs but I love this beer. The packaging doesn't hurt either. I'm a sucker for a pretty bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

I really love this brew both in bottle and on tap--so long as it's fresh. I do not get the adjunct after taste commented on below--just barley malt. A very pleasant German style pils--go figure--from a Czech brewmaster!
Very drinkable. Nice noble hop use--well balanced and crisp.

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

Had at Bierbistro in Toronto. Wasn't expecting this from a Ontario beer (most everything on-tap was malty) but passes as a very good current Pilsener. Light on the hops (I prefer a 40-50 IBU in Pilsners) with very good taste structure. Finishes well. Recommended for Pils fans.

4.22/5  rDev +23.8%

Poured from a green glass bottle.

Brilliant gold in color with lots of carbonation and a thinnish head that dissipates in size but persists in presence. The aroma is light and airy, with a marked hint of dough. Similarly, the flavor is a near-perfect balance between sweet breadiness and a strong, Noble hop finish.

Other, secondary flavors include wet paper, biscuits, and pepper. The length and evolving complexity of flavors are remarkable, as every sip reveals a full array of new flavor combinations and a consistent, bitter-dry finish that makes you demand more. An excellent beer to pair with light seafood (scallops, shrimp, mussels, octopus) and even spicier foods.

This is easily one of the best Canadian micros I have had, and a fine example of a German pils.

4.19/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Is it the best Pilsner around? Probably not. Is it the best in Canada when compared to the macros? Absolutely!! Pale straw color, crisp refreshing mouthfeel, dry, slightly bready aftertaste, but still refreshing nonetheless. It's the beer that got me into micros. It's one of my go to beers always in my fridge ,from where I expand and experiment with other micros.

4.18/5  rDev +22.6%

I had this numerous time in Toronto, and at the brewery. I found this to be the best pilsner outside of the Czech Republic.

It's a clean smooth brew, that has only 4 basic ingredients and no preservatives which leaves it smooth and crisp and you could drink these all night and not be hung over the next day. I would compare this to Budvar and probably rank it right after it. This is a great beer!

4.15/5  rDev +21.7%

Shared a 355ML can of this w/ my good friend Tony @ the Schlafly Tap Room in St. Louis, MO. Poured from the Bright Green (7-Up looking can) w/ a Whistle and outline of a brewery at the bottom into a 12oz Snifter Glass. Has PKGD MAR 22 2012 on the side of the can.

Aroma- Slight corn on the front and then sweet, typical German Pils aroma. Very clean and easy.

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger head that dies almost right away. Has a clean, golden body with great clarity. Leaves good lacing behind.

Flavor- Very malty, crisp, and once again has some corn that comes around. Light-medium bitterness. Sweetness all the way through.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Creamy, Smooth, and bites with sweetness on the palate.

Overall Impression- Beware! This is a HIGHLY drinkable brew and would be dangerous on a floating trip! Would love to see this guy (and possibly 11 others of it) in the near future. Highly recommend for its style and am a huge fan.

4.13/5  rDev +21.1%

Not only on-tap, but on-tap at the brewery in generous glasses as part of their tour. It was handed to me with a big, foamy, bone-white head. The color was a bright lemon-yellow and the Saaz hops were evident on the nose. The mouthfeel was medium, with a great,dry hoppiness on the tongue. The finish lingered with hops and left me licking my lips for more. I had some in a bottle later, but this was just fantastic!

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

Aside form the biasing factors of the brewery's cool location (in an old locomotive repair warehouse in downtown Toronto near the CN tower and Sky dome) and the functioning steam whistle that they let you blow at the end of the brewery tour, this beer is quite good. While it is a bit sweet for a pilaster, possibly explained by its extra long barley mash, it is hopped enough to give good balance. Seam Whistle Pilsner has a lovely golden color and a nice sweetish smell, piney notes are followed by a citrus laced finish.

4.05/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Slightly hazy yellow. Head is copious, but drops quickly to a thin sheet with some patchy lacing.

S - Fresh floral and grassy aromas. Some slight maltiness an a touch of metallic skunk.

T - Slightly tart and grainy up front. Citrus notes are also prominent - orange, grapefruit and some lime. Finishing bitterness is grapefruit. Aftertaste mellows quickly into a lasting faint grapefruityness.

M - Medium bodied with a slight slickness.

D - Quite nice. Refreshing, with good hop flavour.

steam whistle BA review

I will not hesitate to say this is an incredible beer. It really is an amazing example of balance in a craft beer. It's got a cracker/bready/biscuity taste that I've fell in love with since the beginning of my beer drinking days. It also has a bitter edge with a fresh hop taste that is grassy, and slightly lemony.

A - Good carbonation and lacing that sticks fairly well to the bottle and glass.

S - Very grassy. Slight alcohol seems to perforate through the nose. This is not so much reflected in the taste.

T - Grassy, lemony, peppery but not before you taste the cracker/bready-ness at the forefront. Beautiful balance.

M - Very carbonated but not so much that the notes can't shine through. It's comfortably bubbly, I guess.

Overall: Must try and must have.

This is very much a summer beer for me. Love the carbonation factor, the clean crisp finish, and the mild hops in the aroma and taste. A simple beer, with a nice mouth feel. Airy and light . Although I really like it in the bottle, I do not care for it in the can, or on tap as much.

3.99/5  rDev +17%

One of my favourite Canadian beers. Nice straw yellow colour with a decent head that lasts.

I love the aroma of steam whistle, grassy, citrusy and smells a lot like hay and is very appealing to me.

Once again a nice grassy taste with notes of hay and perfect balance of hops and malt that stays around in the aftertaste. Well balanced mouthfeel that goes down smooth and is very drinkable.

I tried this on tap and it is even better, even more of a grassy/hay taste, lots more flavour than the bottle.

3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

poured into an official steamwhistle glass from a fresh keg. deep straw gold and thick head. some previous "test pours" to flush the lines still had thick whipping cream heads after 20+ minutes of sitting at the back of the bar.

scent has some DMS, sulfury, but primarily malty, with noble hop notes. green straw and hay.

flavor is north american 2-row, probably Canadian. Extremely bready -- rich juicy malt balanced by green fresh leafy hops. like fresh grassy dew.

mouthfeel is very full with a malt tail that morphs strangely from malt to corn(?) before dissipating to a malty oblivion.

drinkable? I couldn't get enough of this on my trip. I wish somebody brewed a beer like this in Portland...

3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

I'd really like to say that this is about the best lager I've had from Canada, to start. It's very mild in flavour, with modest hoppiness and a crisp grainy flavour. This is my absolute go to lager and I strongly recommend trying it.

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pale straw colour with almost no head and what is there fades to nothing in no time.

Bready barley smell, lot of corn in there as well, hint of citrus but not strong.

Crisp flavour, somewhat bitter right from the start and through the finish, the bready flavour is evident in the taste as well.

Light body but a fairly strong carbonate feel in my mouth, finishes dry.

3.96/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From Canada, ive bought a huge spectrum of beers, and surprisingly in Canada, if you buy cheap you taste cheap. Canada is really overated for beers, but steamwhistle along with beau's gives me some hope. Steamwhistle has not much a smell, but the taste is somewhat decent hoppy,floral like, with a nice smooth grassy taste throughout, you get a lot of nice mouthfeel. I don't get the whole notion of it having a watery taste, its not overly rich which is perfecttt on a summer day when you know youre having multiple beers. I gotta say personally, this stuff puts heineken, to shame , it felt so watery after experiencing the steamwhistle. Way to be guys, i needed a good weekend beer i could drink in numbers, this fits the ticket perfectly, plus its non-gmo, so I like they;re taking pride in the brewing process from seed to glass.

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

A- I gave this a fairly hard pour into a mug and was slightly disappointed by the apparent lack of foamy head, of which, settles quickly into a very patchy layer. The coloring is a very slightly hazy golden and the bubbles are noticeable. There is some moderate lacing on the side of my mug. A fairly average looking brew.

S- An overall generally mild smelling beer. What aromas there are include a dominant dried bread/yeast aroma, followed by a sweet malt smell. There are faint smells of grain and floral aromas mixed in there as well. Hop presence is minor. The aroma, I find, gets better as the brew warms up a bit.

T- This is a nicely balanced beer, with those sweet malts on the front of the palate, followed by some neutral grains and finally on the finish, the floral, leafy hops come through. There is a biscuit like flavor that looms on the palate in between drinks.

M- I feel that this has a solid medium body. It is deliciously smooth, as the carbonation is almost foamy on the palate, rather than with the typical zing. Again, very smooth.

D- I think this is a very enjoyable beer. It has a nice flavor, is easy drinking due to its' smoothness and would make a perfect session beer. The alcohol is well hidden and I could see myself having a few pints of this beer at any time of the year. Well done!

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: Drinking out of a bottle I'm not quite sure. However, this type of beer is the only one I can justify drinking out of the bottle. Great looking bottle though! Green, tall 341mL.

Smell: Very German smelling-dry, grassy hops and a nice bready aroma.

Taste: Floral hops, almost grapey in flavour. It starts out with the hops and ends out with the nice biscuity, dry malt.

Mouthfeel: Dry and crisp. Carbonation is spot on for the style-not too prickly but nicely balanced. Nice hop bitterness.

Drinkability: Off the charts. The only limiting factor is perhaps the bitterness. Otherwise, this is a great session beer-Low ABV, clean flavour.

Overall: I was always a little sceptical of this beer, being a relatively mass-produced micro pilsener in Canada. But I'm beyond impressed. This is a great beer that keeps you interested but doesn't kill your taste buds.

3.94/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Light, straw colour. Exactly what I want from a Pils. Thin, bubbly head, dissipates quickly leaving soapy top.

S - Fresh, crisp & clean, ever so slightly grassy.

T - Slightly citrus, fresh and cleansing. Touch of bitterness to the finish to provide crispness. Very little lingering aftertaste. A little one-dimensional for flavour, but I think that's the point.

M - Light feel, although touch of creaminess. I really like the carbonation - feels just right for Pilsner.

O - Crisp, clean and light tasting Pilsner. I drink this all year round, sometimes one or two, sometimes a good many more.

3.92/5  rDev +15%

I was offered this in a can as a free drink on an internal flight. Ryanair, take note.

Firstly, it had surprisingly good carbonation, even at whatever height in ft. we were in the air, which gave a good head and and lacing that sticks fairly well to the glass (yes, a real glass in an airplane).

The aroma was very grassy with a similar grassy, lemony or peppery taste balanced by a biscuity backbone. A very nice tasty beer with a bitter base and nice hop flavour.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

Great looking bottle..a social deviant could drive around town drinking this and people would think you're drinking soda pop.

Having said that, average looking beer with an off white head that fades quickly, but leaves a decent amount of lacing around the glass.

Slight floral hop smell but not much else.

Taste..Impressive. Very nice balance between the malts and the hops here. Certainly lacks the bite of a Euro pils..but still a pleasant blend here. Very, very easy to drink...I could find myself drinking a boat load of this without realising it. That is how easy this beer is going down. A keeper folks!

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer has been referred to (a bit dismissively, I think) as a good "bridge beer" for uninitiated macro drinkers and I would agree — though I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

It poured out of the bottle a rich golden colour with a frothy, two-finger head that left nice lacing on my mug. The aroma was mostly bitter hops with some malt — and a bit of a soapy smell that I've always detected in Steam Whistle, and never really liked.

The taste, I found, is well-balanced. It starts out with a lot of hoppy bitterness, but you can taste some malt on the back end and it finishes clean.

I've also had Steam Whistle on tap, and find it's better that way.

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

I remember having this at the brewery a while back in the days when I thought a typical "Green Bottle Import" was good beer, and really didn't care much for it. But now after a few years and some experience I decided to sample a couple of these at a BBQ yesterday, and was quite satisfied.

This poured into a styrofoam cup (Yeah, i know. It's all I could get there..) nicely with a very thick creamy head that stuck around for the while time, quite nice. Smell was a bit hoppy but a tad skunky as well. The prominence of the hops in this brew were evident in the flavor, Bitter but not excessive. This was quite easy going down and was a very good BBQ beer, After all these years I learned to appreciate this one a bit more, and see it for what it is afterall, a pretty decent locally produced pilsener style beer.

Steam Whistle Pilsner from Steam Whistle Brewing