Steam Whistle Pilsner - Steam Whistle Brewing

Steam Whistle Brewing visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2002

We believe that world-class results require focus and dedication, so we developed a distinctive recipe for our single brand based on Europe's renowned brewing standards yet is brewed fresh locally at our independent, Canadian Brewery.

We use traditional brewing techniques and only four natural ingredients including spring water, malted barley, hops and yeast - all GMO-free. There is a fifth ingredient in every refreshing bottle, and that is the passion of our dedicated Brewmaster and staff.

4.77/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

An absolutely fantastic Canadian beer! This is my absolutely favorite beer and I would recommend it to anyone looking to try. The color is pale, the carbonation is refreshing, the smell is intriguing and the taste is phenomenal. I've got all of my buddies drinking it now and anyone who tries it seems to say the same thing: it's an all around awesome beer.

4.75/5  rDev +38.1%

4.75/5  rDev +38.1%

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.47/5  rDev +29.9%

My parents picked up a nifty 12 pack of this, in the form of a suitcase, while they were up at Fenway north. Sweet green retro bottle. Bonus points for superb packaging in both the suitcase (I kept it and use it to bring homebrew places) and bottle.

Clear gold with a thin head. Thin skim of retention floats in the shape of a question mark. A beer for self inquisition?

Honey, floral aroma with some Wonderbread in back. Smells like springtime in the morning.

Crisp and refreshing with mild earthy/herbal hop in back to balance the springtime fresh sweet malt.

Perhaps it's the fact that this beer triggers sensory images of springtime hikes and lakeside trail runs but I love this beer. The packaging doesn't hurt either. I'm a sucker for a pretty bottle.

4.29/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

By far the best Canadian brewed Pilsner I've tried.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

I really love this brew both in bottle and on tap--so long as it's fresh. I do not get the adjunct after taste commented on below--just barley malt. A very pleasant German style pils--go figure--from a Czech brewmaster!
Very drinkable. Nice noble hop use--well balanced and crisp.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Had at Bierbistro in Toronto. Wasn't expecting this from a Ontario beer (most everything on-tap was malty) but passes as a very good current Pilsener. Light on the hops (I prefer a 40-50 IBU in Pilsners) with very good taste structure. Finishes well. Recommended for Pils fans.

4.24/5  rDev +23.3%

4.22/5  rDev +22.7%

Poured from a green glass bottle.

Brilliant gold in color with lots of carbonation and a thinnish head that dissipates in size but persists in presence. The aroma is light and airy, with a marked hint of dough. Similarly, the flavor is a near-perfect balance between sweet breadiness and a strong, Noble hop finish.

Other, secondary flavors include wet paper, biscuits, and pepper. The length and evolving complexity of flavors are remarkable, as every sip reveals a full array of new flavor combinations and a consistent, bitter-dry finish that makes you demand more. An excellent beer to pair with light seafood (scallops, shrimp, mussels, octopus) and even spicier foods.

This is easily one of the best Canadian micros I have had, and a fine example of a German pils.

4.19/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Is it the best Pilsner around? Probably not. Is it the best in Canada when compared to the macros? Absolutely!! Pale straw color, crisp refreshing mouthfeel, dry, slightly bready aftertaste, but still refreshing nonetheless. It's the beer that got me into micros. It's one of my go to beers always in my fridge ,from where I expand and experiment with other micros.

4.18/5  rDev +21.5%

I had this numerous time in Toronto, and at the brewery. I found this to be the best pilsner outside of the Czech Republic.

It's a clean smooth brew, that has only 4 basic ingredients and no preservatives which leaves it smooth and crisp and you could drink these all night and not be hung over the next day. I would compare this to Budvar and probably rank it right after it. This is a great beer!

Steam Whistle Pilsner from Steam Whistle Brewing