Steam Whistle Pilsner - Steam Whistle Brewing

Steam Whistle PilsnerSteam Whistle Pilsner

Steam Whistle Brewing visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

We believe that world-class results require focus and dedication, so we developed a distinctive recipe for our single brand based on Europe's renowned brewing standards yet is brewed fresh locally at our independent, Canadian Brewery.

We use traditional brewing techniques and only four natural ingredients including spring water, malted barley, hops and yeast - all GMO-free. There is a fifth ingredient in every refreshing bottle, and that is the passion of our dedicated Brewmaster and staff.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2002)

Dalia, Oct 07, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

kabritz, Aug 01, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

Wordslinger, May 04, 2012
1.73/5  rDev -49.7%

I do not understand the fascination with this beer. Locals in Toronto all point to it as an exemplary craft beer. I find it barely drinkable. I think I heard a story that the owner of the brewery is a local celebrity. I also think he came from one of the major breweries.

If I didn't really want a beer on my Porter flight back to Chicago, I would never touched the stuff in the first place. thinking that it might have been in a bad mood that day, I ordered one up to give it a second chance. I was right in the first place. This is NOT a good representation of a growing craft beer scene in Ontario. It's a shame that government controlled monopolies get in the way of opportunities for consumers to try new beer. This is also a poor example of a Pilsner. You are just as good drinking an AB-InBev product like labatt blue.

smell:grassy
feel: leaves an unpleasant after taste
taste: no real hop taste and very light malt

thank goodness the Porter light isn't very long.

box299, Oct 24, 2013

Not acceptable...Sorry but I did not care for this brew as it left me wanting...no hops in evidence here and the sweet malty taste carried through into the after taste...the packaging was probobly its strong point and that reminded me of a circus clown of low character..

Shiloh, Feb 03, 2003

RyGlas, Dec 25, 2012

If you like DMS, grab a bottle of this for its buttery taste.

DaftCaskBC, Sep 19, 2014
2.08/5  rDev -39.5%

Pale straw yellow colour with brilliant clarity and a thin white head that showed some lacing. The aroma was packed full of DMS, vegetal sweetness and sulfury hops. Veggie sweetness carried into the flavour. Bitterness was much harsher than it should have been, given the moderate hopping level. Light body, high carbonation. Not an impressive offering, at least to my palate.

DrJay, Nov 22, 2005
2.08/5  rDev -39.5%

Well, I'm not sure what to say about this beer. I was introduced to this beer by a friend who brought it to our 20th anniversary hockey pool (He's not invited back btw).

There was very little aroma in my opinion and very little flavour. The colour was a very weak translucent yellow. What little aroma there was slightly grassy. The mouthfeel was slightly watery, but with enough carbonation to save it. The taste was very weak in my opinion for a beer labelled as a pilsener.

Working a short distance from the brewery itself (the old roundhouse at Toronto's Union Station houses the brewery today) and having watched it being built I was excited to try this beer. Needless to say the lack of aroma and flavour were very disappointing.

cyrenaica, Jun 30, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -35.2%

12 oz. bottle that reminds me of some old school soda pop bottles I've seen. Served chilled in a glass.

Appearance: Pale straw color topped by a smallish white head that quickly dissipates to a film. No lacing is left.

Smell: Grassy hop aromas with some mild graininess. Not an overly strong nose, to say the least.

Taste: Light cereal malt with a clashingly vegetal hop finish, almost sulfury.

Mouthfeel: Very light in body, too light, if you ask me.

Drinkability: Pilsener does not equal watery, light, and fizzy. Clashing tastes and no body make for a bad beer experience.

ManekiNeko, Jan 04, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

The-Jolly-Imbiber, Aug 20, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -32.3%

I seem to recall when this beer was first made available that there was a lot of hoopla. The brewery publicized that they only made one beer but they made it well and a fair number of folks have told me the same thing. Having said that, I've never particularly cared for it although I'll try to be objective given my decision to finally review it.

Pours a clear yellow with a short-lived white head. A few bubble streams on one side of the glass, we soon are left with a ring and not much else. Lace is scarce to non-existent although in fairness a quick swirl regenerated some head throughout.

Smell is malty, soda biscuit, wet grass and marsh, a typical pilsener lager aroma in some respects but just not very pleasant. Taste is sharp and dramatic, loaded with malt it seems to me - but lacking in flavour. Hop character missing in action, not enough to make it interesting or round it out. Mouthfeel dry and thin, lacks hoppy presence, malty aftertaste. Body is lacking even considering the style. Refreshment value compromised by a heavy corn finish, taste is a bit heavy but not in a good way.

Altogether, this is simply not to my tastes; with apologies, I doubt I would recommend this beer to anyone.

ThatWineGuy, Sep 30, 2009
Photo of
2.35/5  rDev -31.7%

Aroma - Very pale yellow with a nice little head that quickly dissipates.
Aroma - Bready malt aromas with a touch of hops. Not much going on here, really.
Flavour - Bready, sweet, only the slightest note of hops, not enough bitterness to balance it out. Mediocre at best.
I have enjoyed this on tap in the past, so either it is not as good in the can or my palate has improved.

, Apr 19, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured little to no head in part because I noticed "debris" in the liquid. Poured remaining beer into a seperate glass. Looked like yeast that had settled to the bottom, although I was surprised to find this in a commercial beer. Had a "home brew" feel to it.

Color was golden orange. Much darker than I would expect from a pilsner, and definitely outside of style range. Didn't have the "clear" appearance you expect from a pilsner either.

Aroma was strong malt and no hop presence. A little aggressive aroma from the malt, more than expected. Some fruitiness as well.

Taste was strong malt and cloyingly sweet. No hop bitterness to back up the sweetness.

Mouthfeel was medium. Not enough carbonation for a pilsner or "spritz." The malt flavor weighed heavy on the tongue but cleared off after a few seconds. Very dry as well which was surprising with the malt flavor.

Overall I would guess this is a bottle conditioned California common (steam) style pilsner. It came off more as an extract home brew than a commercial pilsner. If I'm wrong, perhaps I got a somehow-contaminated bottle. Overall disappointing, but a drinkable beer if you don't assume it's a pilsner before drinking it.

andrwjedi, Jul 07, 2012

traumaqueen, Apr 03, 2012

daverdave, Feb 09, 2012

jmdrpi, Dec 02, 2011

MasterOfArgos39, Jul 03, 2014

ponypartyposse, Dec 18, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

An odd beer, to say the least. I had this beer on tap at Shopsys in Toronto. The smoked meat sandwitch was killer and I washed it down with this beer. This beer had a standard golden appearance but the aroma was of fritos (corn chips). That's right!, this beer smelled and tasted like freaking corn chips. Now, I am assuming that this is because this beer was brewed with corn and rice. I had no sense of hop flavors or malt flavors at all...just corn chips.
The mouthfeel was average, as was the drinkability, but I would take a molson export over this!
Cheers!
-F

francisweizen, Apr 29, 2003

AugustusRex, Nov 21, 2013

KStark, May 13, 2014

Andy_Luft, Oct 25, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The pour a clear and gold color with the head frothy in texture and the color white, size is average with the lace a thin covering upon the glass. Nose is malt and sweet, crisp and fresh, front sweet with a fair malt profile, the top skimpy in feel. Finish has a decent hop presence and the acidity stinging, quite dry aftertaste, drinkable but not much else to be said unfortunately.

Gusler, Oct 23, 2002
2.58/5  rDev -25%

500ml can. Pours a clear gold with a fizzy white head that disappears quickly. Smells like a homebrew that was contaminated with cleaning agents--what seem to be chlorophenols dominate pils malt with a very light grassy hop aroma. A turn off. Thankfully, the taste isn't effected; all light, sweet malt with a very faint floral hop presence. Light bodied with medium carbonation. Aside from the slightly offensive smell, this isn't too bad, just uninspired and characterless.

philipquarles, May 29, 2009