2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Steam Whistle Pilsner - Steam Whistle Brewing

Steam Whistle PilsnerSteam Whistle Pilsner

Steam Whistle Brewing visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

We believe that world-class results require focus and dedication, so we developed a distinctive recipe for our single brand based on Europe's renowned brewing standards yet is brewed fresh locally at our independent, Canadian Brewery.

We use traditional brewing techniques and only four natural ingredients including spring water, malted barley, hops and yeast - all GMO-free. There is a fifth ingredient in every refreshing bottle, and that is the passion of our dedicated Brewmaster and staff.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2002)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 262 | Reviews: 123 | Show All Ratings:
box299

1.73/5  rDev -49.7%

I do not understand the fascination with this beer. Locals in Toronto all point to it as an exemplary craft beer. I find it barely drinkable. I think I heard a story that the owner of the brewery is a local celebrity. I also think he came from one of the major breweries.

If I didn't really want a beer on my Porter flight back to Chicago, I would never touched the stuff in the first place. thinking that it might have been in a bad mood that day, I ordered one up to give it a second chance. I was right in the first place. This is NOT a good representation of a growing craft beer scene in Ontario. It's a shame that government controlled monopolies get in the way of opportunities for consumers to try new beer. This is also a poor example of a Pilsner. You are just as good drinking an AB-InBev product like labatt blue.

smell:grassy
feel: leaves an unpleasant after taste
taste: no real hop taste and very light malt

thank goodness the Porter light isn't very long.

10-24-2013 18:25:30 | More by box299
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

Not acceptable...Sorry but I did not care for this brew as it left me wanting...no hops in evidence here and the sweet malty taste carried through into the after taste...the packaging was probobly its strong point and that reminded me of a circus clown of low character..

02-03-2003 18:58:58 | More by Shiloh
DrJay

2.08/5  rDev -39.5%

Pale straw yellow colour with brilliant clarity and a thin white head that showed some lacing. The aroma was packed full of DMS, vegetal sweetness and sulfury hops. Veggie sweetness carried into the flavour. Bitterness was much harsher than it should have been, given the moderate hopping level. Light body, high carbonation. Not an impressive offering, at least to my palate.

11-22-2005 02:05:18 | More by DrJay
cyrenaica

2.08/5  rDev -39.5%

Well, I'm not sure what to say about this beer. I was introduced to this beer by a friend who brought it to our 20th anniversary hockey pool (He's not invited back btw).

There was very little aroma in my opinion and very little flavour. The colour was a very weak translucent yellow. What little aroma there was slightly grassy. The mouthfeel was slightly watery, but with enough carbonation to save it. The taste was very weak in my opinion for a beer labelled as a pilsener.

Working a short distance from the brewery itself (the old roundhouse at Toronto's Union Station houses the brewery today) and having watched it being built I was excited to try this beer. Needless to say the lack of aroma and flavour were very disappointing.

06-30-2007 03:40:44 | More by cyrenaica
ManekiNeko

2.23/5  rDev -35.2%

12 oz. bottle that reminds me of some old school soda pop bottles I've seen. Served chilled in a glass.

Appearance: Pale straw color topped by a smallish white head that quickly dissipates to a film. No lacing is left.

Smell: Grassy hop aromas with some mild graininess. Not an overly strong nose, to say the least.

Taste: Light cereal malt with a clashingly vegetal hop finish, almost sulfury.

Mouthfeel: Very light in body, too light, if you ask me.

Drinkability: Pilsener does not equal watery, light, and fizzy. Clashing tastes and no body make for a bad beer experience.

01-04-2004 20:00:30 | More by ManekiNeko
ThatWineGuy

2.33/5  rDev -32.3%

I seem to recall when this beer was first made available that there was a lot of hoopla. The brewery publicized that they only made one beer but they made it well and a fair number of folks have told me the same thing. Having said that, I've never particularly cared for it although I'll try to be objective given my decision to finally review it.

Pours a clear yellow with a short-lived white head. A few bubble streams on one side of the glass, we soon are left with a ring and not much else. Lace is scarce to non-existent although in fairness a quick swirl regenerated some head throughout.

Smell is malty, soda biscuit, wet grass and marsh, a typical pilsener lager aroma in some respects but just not very pleasant. Taste is sharp and dramatic, loaded with malt it seems to me - but lacking in flavour. Hop character missing in action, not enough to make it interesting or round it out. Mouthfeel dry and thin, lacks hoppy presence, malty aftertaste. Body is lacking even considering the style. Refreshment value compromised by a heavy corn finish, taste is a bit heavy but not in a good way.

Altogether, this is simply not to my tastes; with apologies, I doubt I would recommend this beer to anyone.

09-30-2009 02:53:41 | More by ThatWineGuy
Photo of

2.35/5  rDev -31.7%

Aroma - Very pale yellow with a nice little head that quickly dissipates.
Aroma - Bready malt aromas with a touch of hops. Not much going on here, really.
Flavour - Bready, sweet, only the slightest note of hops, not enough bitterness to balance it out. Mediocre at best.
I have enjoyed this on tap in the past, so either it is not as good in the can or my palate has improved.

04-19-2011 11:25:53 | More by
andrwjedi

District of Columbia

2.48/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured little to no head in part because I noticed "debris" in the liquid. Poured remaining beer into a seperate glass. Looked like yeast that had settled to the bottom, although I was surprised to find this in a commercial beer. Had a "home brew" feel to it.

Color was golden orange. Much darker than I would expect from a pilsner, and definitely outside of style range. Didn't have the "clear" appearance you expect from a pilsner either.

Aroma was strong malt and no hop presence. A little aggressive aroma from the malt, more than expected. Some fruitiness as well.

Taste was strong malt and cloyingly sweet. No hop bitterness to back up the sweetness.

Mouthfeel was medium. Not enough carbonation for a pilsner or "spritz." The malt flavor weighed heavy on the tongue but cleared off after a few seconds. Very dry as well which was surprising with the malt flavor.

Overall I would guess this is a bottle conditioned California common (steam) style pilsner. It came off more as an extract home brew than a commercial pilsner. If I'm wrong, perhaps I got a somehow-contaminated bottle. Overall disappointing, but a drinkable beer if you don't assume it's a pilsner before drinking it.

07-06-2012 23:36:50 | More by andrwjedi
francisweizen

Arizona

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

An odd beer, to say the least. I had this beer on tap at Shopsys in Toronto. The smoked meat sandwitch was killer and I washed it down with this beer. This beer had a standard golden appearance but the aroma was of fritos (corn chips). That's right!, this beer smelled and tasted like freaking corn chips. Now, I am assuming that this is because this beer was brewed with corn and rice. I had no sense of hop flavors or malt flavors at all...just corn chips.
The mouthfeel was average, as was the drinkability, but I would take a molson export over this!
Cheers!
-F

04-29-2003 14:26:43 | More by francisweizen
Gusler

Arizona

2.53/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The pour a clear and gold color with the head frothy in texture and the color white, size is average with the lace a thin covering upon the glass. Nose is malt and sweet, crisp and fresh, front sweet with a fair malt profile, the top skimpy in feel. Finish has a decent hop presence and the acidity stinging, quite dry aftertaste, drinkable but not much else to be said unfortunately.

10-23-2002 17:30:18 | More by Gusler
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.58/5  rDev -25%

500ml can. Pours a clear gold with a fizzy white head that disappears quickly. Smells like a homebrew that was contaminated with cleaning agents--what seem to be chlorophenols dominate pils malt with a very light grassy hop aroma. A turn off. Thankfully, the taste isn't effected; all light, sweet malt with a very faint floral hop presence. Light bodied with medium carbonation. Aside from the slightly offensive smell, this isn't too bad, just uninspired and characterless.

05-29-2009 01:52:35 | More by philipquarles
atr2605

2.58/5  rDev -25%

A-pours yellow with a white head with good retention
S-sweet malt and corn, no hop presence
T-Has a strange vegetable metallic element to it. Not pleasant.
M-light bodied
O-looks and feel is right but the strange flavor throws off its crispness. Very possible it got like struck due to the green bottle

04-09-2013 01:07:41 | More by atr2605
SaunaKing

2.85/5  rDev -17.2%

Picked up a 6pack of 331ml bottles of this after hearing the insessant commercials on the radio the past few weeks. Being a big fan of euro pilsners I thought I would give this a try as they made a big thing about being a pilsner on the radio spots.
Very cool packaging - both the box and the old skool green bottles.
The beer poured a pale straw colour, but not totally clear - there was a hint of cloudiness.
The smell was a little strong, and the aroma was of granny smith apples, not what i was expecting
Upon first taste the beer was a little sharp, but i dont mean the crispness associated with a good pilsner.
Overall though this would make a good session beer, good summer beer but at $11.95 for a 6pack its waaay overpriced. For the same price I can get 6 500ml cans of Bitburger, Konig and other euro pilsners at the LCBO.

07-31-2004 01:10:36 | More by SaunaKing
timtwoface

British Columbia (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

I'm not really a fan of this style of beer. Maybe the green bottles subconsciously throw me off because it reminds me in many ways of Rolling Rock (another beer I'm not really a fan of) or maybe just the weaker, plainer taste just resonates with me as boring.

Is it BAD? No, just not my style - I can only see myself going for a beer like this on a hot day if I need something refreshing. In that regard it's OK - it's just not really for me.

12-04-2011 18:28:53 | More by timtwoface
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Tap: Clear yellow beer with small head with below average retention. Aroma is quite sweet with more or less malt. Taste was quite enjoyable with some refreshing sweetness. Lacking a bit of character and body to make this truly good but better then some other lager that I had the misfortune of drinking over the years.

10-25-2004 13:54:45 | More by Phyl21ca
yesyouam

Steam Whistle is a transparent light golden lager with an ample white head. The aroma is muted and of bread and fruity and wooden hops. It is light bodied, smooth and crisp. The carbonation is a bit soft. The taste is primarily grainy and cereal. It tastes very fresh and very simple. It has a tiny hop presence at the end of the flavor, which really tightens the finish. This is what Heineken wants to be like. My dad always brings some of this home when he goes to see the Yanks play the Jays.
(rated Jun 13, 2007)

12-20-2008 05:39:39 | More by yesyouam
Mellonius

Brazil

On tap at Pub Italia, Ottawa. Poured in a shaker glass.

Dark straw color, almost orange. Little head formation, it disappeared very quickly.

Smell is somewhat grassy, citrusy and wheaty.

Very light on the palate, refreshing and drinkable. Not very characteristic as a German Pilsner, though. Lacks the bitterness and the richer hop complexity of the genre.

A nice beer for a warm afternoon, especially if you're eating spicy food. Not special, though. I would not try it again in a world full of new things to sample.

07-10-2012 00:31:55 | More by Mellonius
Stocean1

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

A - poured a one finger head from a nitro can - pale yellow - head did not last long - little lacing

S - light malt - some floral notes - bready

T - light malt up front - stale biscuit - a little bitterness - nothing too complicated

M - light bodied - dry - a little tart - decent carbonation

O - a very average beer that I used to enjoy much more - to be fair I am not a huge pilsener fan

Serving type: nitro-can

06-27-2011 03:35:07 | More by Stocean1
Sammy

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Ok beer in a retro green bottle. Enjoyed best at their brewery where there is often hoopla. Sweet floral taste with dry astringent aftertaste. Would have enough rather than a national Canadian brand but rank is weak compared to other microbrewery peers.

12-09-2003 17:12:16 | More by Sammy
MTNboy

Germany

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

I know that a lot of people are going to hate me for this but I don't understand why so many people are in love with this beer.

Appearance: The best part of this beer is the way it looks. It has a nice bright yellow body with a beautiful thick white head and lace.

Smell: very grassy and somewhat earthy.

Taste: Average mass produced lager. I thought it had grassy taste to it.

Mouthfeel: I would say on the lighter end of a medium bodied beer. Lot of carbonation.

Drinkability: A good once and a while beer.

09-26-2008 06:06:29 | More by MTNboy
jneiswender

3.1/5  rDev -9.9%

Had this beer at the brewery in Toronto. I've had it both in the bottle of the line and in the tasting room. Nice white head and gold clear body. Smells nice and grassy. Light but not lacking in flavor. Nice and drinkable. Good beer. I have to say I would have this again.

12-22-2011 14:47:41 | More by jneiswender
midweb23

3.13/5  rDev -9%

Had this on draft at the brewery after doing a tour.

A - A golden yellow color with a thick, fluffy, 2 finger head.

S - Slight smell of malt and hops. Nothing stands out.

T - An initial taste of grain followed by a nice hops aftertaste. The hops are much more noticeable than I anticipated for this style.

M - Very crisp and smooth.

D - The beer is very smooth, and goes down easy, especially when cold.

08-20-2008 12:27:29 | More by midweb23
slitherySOB

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Hmm, a below average pilsner, but alright too try once. Attractive green bottle with history on the back. Dangerous in that green can cause skunk, but the beers were fine. Poured into the mug with a whooosh of carbonation, causing a fast rising head that dissipated even faster. Smell of barley and pine were apparent in this brew. Taste was crisp and sweet with malt, but lacked the necessary hop balance. Mouthfeel was crisp at first, but after a few sips became annoyingly sticky. Drinkable, but not something I would want to consume alot of at once.

03-12-2003 09:54:25 | More by slitherySOB
MattyV

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Crystal clear deep yellow, short-lived soapy white head. Aroma is slightly grassy and earthy, but is mostly dominated by sweet grains and corn. A light caramel sweetness is detectable throughout, along with a weak bready/biscuity malt backbone and metallic undertone. Little to no hop flavour or bitterness, just a touch of grassy flavour on the back end and a splash of bitterness on the tongue in the aftertaste. Lots of sweet corn flavours begin to come out more as it warms. Modest body with plenty of sharp, somewhat harsh carbonation. I've had this on occasion but never had the opportunity to review it. Not great, but well-distributed and perhaps slightly above the usual macro offerings.

07-03-2011 04:22:47 | More by MattyV
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

Steam Whistle seems to be totally going for that post-retro style of marketing kitsch and nostalgia, and the historic location of the brewery doesn't hurt either. I kind of like the silkscreened green bottles, but on the whole the actual beer itself is average.

It's a very clear pale straw colour, poured with a wafer thin head that quickly dissipated. The nose is of sweet grainy malt, and nothing else. Flavour is very unassuming, not much going on, a bit of an astringent kick at the end, perhaps a reminiscent phantom of the clearly missing hops in the formula.

However this stuff is pretty drinkable, I'll give it that. Yet I drank most of the case after chilling it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, and then directly out of the bottle. Great for barbequing. The glass pour exposes where it falls short.

06-15-2003 08:19:31 | More by IronDjinn