Follow our progress ...

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by BlackHaddock on 03-20-2012

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
3.98/5  rDev n/a

Mommsen-Eck (Haus der 100 Biere) has been a watering hole of mine since before the Berlin Wall came down back in 1989: every trip back to the city sees me re-visit the place for food and beers. BA however has changed what I drink in here, I’m always looking for something on the menu I’ve not had before instead of having something I know, hence the 500ml bottle of Black Jack was ordered during one of my evenings in here during Jan 2012.

Black Jack is in fact a dark brown colour with ruby red tinge to it, the body being clear without haze or mistiness to the eye. The collapsing beige head gave it a great initial look; it also produced some impressive lacing as the beer level sank.

Sweet malty molasses hit the nose, too strong for anything else to have a showing.

The taste was also sweet molasses, caramel and toffee being the flavours I found, with a dark chocolate bitterness arriving towards the end of each sip. The texture was oily more than rich or creamy, the alcohol content didn’t appear to have any influence on the body depth or taste, would have liked to feel at least a hint of it when drinking such a good looking and smelling brew.

Black Jack from Meininger Privatbrauerei GmbH
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.