Larine Grand 95 - Darguner Brauerei GmbH

No picture uploaded.

Darguner Brauerei GmbH visit their website
Germany

Euro Strong Lager |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Derranged on 07-27-2011)
Reviews by Derranged:
2.68/5  rDev +2.3%

I've added this beer personally. I realize that Belgium makes a cheap beer with the exact same name. I don't know if this brewery has a contract with the Belgian one, I could not find this information.

I bought this from a supermarket. 22oz bottle for $1.95. 10.0abv. Freshness date is until "11-8-11". Poured into a standard pint glass.

A- Pours a dark golden color with a medium sized fluffy white head which doesn't disappear immediately. No retention on the glass.

S- Very sweet. You definitely pick up some high fructose corn syrup in there. Smelled a little like grape soda or a Four Lokos for those who have tried it.

T- Too sweet, like a flat grape soda and cheap lager. Corn syrup, sweet malts, and a touch of cooked-sweet corn is detected. Once again.. Almost like a four lokos-Euro strong lager hybrid of sorts. Slight booze flavor and very faint fusel alcohol burn towards the end. Other than that, the alcohol is pretty well hidden. Ghetto America meets German street drunks.

M- Flat, thick and syrupy.

O- Accomplishes what it sets out to do: Provides a quick cheap drunk. This is definitely some ghetto beer. I must say, that this beer was not horrible to me. Whenever I'm looking for a fast buzz I'll drink it. In fact, I might just go back to that place and stock up on it. I guess it's because despite the fact that I appreciate good beer, I still like to get drunk, and the sweetness makes it somewhat drinkable. I grew up on cheap beer, and it kind of brings me back.

That said, this might be one of the worst German beers I've ever had. For a country that once had a "Purity Law", this is a huge step down. I wouldn't think they'd resort to making crazy juice. Oh well. I'm not complaining.

Derranged, Jul 27, 2011
2.95/5  rDev +12.6%

I had to review this beer under this listing instead of the other; this is a brown bomber and the label claims production by Darguner Brauerei GmbH in Dargun, Germany.

It's a medium gold in color that's clear aside from a light chill haze. A bit of white head does its best but fades quickly without leaving much behind. Activity is constant and does bring some up every now and then.
The nose is primarily fusel alcohol, but it's not lacking the Belgian yeast dark fruits and bubble gum. A bit of nuttiness is there with something lightly vegetal.
The same components come together in the flavor; this one is a hot, boozy beer that lacks the complexity of the style. Maybe Euro Strong Lager is right (as a catch-all), or maybe it is an effort at a BSPA, but ultimately it has the high ABV of the style and the Belgian yeast but not much of what makes it beautiful.
The mouthfeel is a bit light and as hot as the flavor. The alcohol seems to thin it like a spirit. The crispness melds into some smoothness, but the boozy heat kicks ass when it's swirled around.
This is more like a Belgian malt liquor than anything.

Brenden, Oct 10, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Golden brew with a thin white head.

S - Pungent whiff of alcohol and loads of thick grainy aromas. Smells like raw fermentation.

T - Super-malty and grainy. Not really bad...just not very good either.

M - Robust and relatively heavy. Big time alcohol burn.

Reminds me of a slightly higher quality version of malt liquor. Not too bad with pizza.

pmcadamis, Nov 01, 2012

CEDAMA, Nov 24, 2011

GaryFields, Jan 31, 2013
Larine Grand 95 from Darguner Brauerei GmbH
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.