Herold Bohemian Black Lager - Pivovar Herold Březnice A.s.

Herold Bohemian Black LagerHerold Bohemian Black Lager

Pivovar Herold Březnice A.s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Schwarzbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-01-2001

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

My first Schwarzbier so I went into it not knowing exactly what to expect. The pour was nice with some "cascading" action going on in the bubbles, creating a nice creamy, smooth, tan head which lasted forever. It was a lovely, almost black, ruby color which you could only make out at the edges. The aroma was malty, chocolates, and some caramel and a hint of roasted malt right before the beer hit my tongue. With the way it looks and smells you expect to find a heavy full-bodied beer like a stout, but this isn't a stout. The taste begins where the aroma left off with the roasted malt flavors, with hints of chocolate and caramel. The beer has a very nice, crisp and clean flavor to it reassuring you that it is indeed, a lager. Near the end, the roasted, coffee bitterness leaves you wanting more. This combined with its clean, roasted flavors, and it's medium-low body make it a very refreshing and easy drinking beer. (932 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -62.7%

Tasted as part of a Weatherspoons beer festival.
Pours a lovely looking black colour, the head did not last.

This was a pretty awful beer. I was expecting so much more but perhaps the keg had problems I don't know. It was flat and warm without the flavours and aromas that should a room temperature beer should have.
Some chocolate hints I suppose but to be honest I could barely finish half my pint of this one.
I've seen some reviews here that say this was a very nice beer so perhaps it was storage or transport problems but I hated it. (547 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

That was a surprise. My first ever review on here for what was a completely randon pick from my local Tesco. Drank a few of these style beers when in Prague and it reminded a little of the bottles of Guiness you got years ago before the draught one caught on. Quite a bitter, dry finish which makes you keep sipping or is it gulping. It gets better the more you try it. Only £ 1.40 for a 500ml bottle.... Get in there. (419 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

I was fortunate enough to find this beer at a local gourmet supermarket called Harry's, just down the street from me. A dark brown-to-blackish hue when poured, this lager offers a generous head at first, settling quickly. I must have sat there for a minute just smelling the beer. Nothing quite like Saaz hops to get the mouth watering. The sweet, dark malts come through, with a bitter aftertaste that's enjoyable.

If I were to single out a beer I would buy perpetually, this would be it. Unfortunately, finding enough to buy perpetually is the more difficult task. I haven't found another place that carries it here, and Harry's carries it in small quantities. (665 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Herold Bohemian Black Lager from Pivovar Herold Březnice A.s.