21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 822 | Hads: 2,294

This is definitely a perfect beer. I've heard of 21st Amendment since I live in San Francisco but I didn't try it until I was at my friend's house in Sacramento last week. It's smooth and the taste is just wonderful. Although it is light for an IPA but after one beer I definitely felt it kicking in.

4.92/5  rDev +28.8%

This beer was shipped to me courtesy of Shaun O'Sullivan - Co-Founder/Brewmaster of The 21st Amendment.

This beer pours a beautiful light amber in color with a great 3+ finger rocky head. The very slightest of haze.

Grapefruity, citrus and mild pine in the nose.

Mildly sweet, malty followed by and wonderful bitterness that is quite pleasant, not harsh. Very nice pronounced hop flavor.

Well carbonated, medium in body.

This is a perfect example of a west coast IPA. Very nice! RAT PAD!!!

4.92/5  rDev +28.8%

Very nice hop aroma of course. I get that strong Simcoe hop smell with some pink lemonade grapefruit smell backed by herbal earthiness and some citrus smells. Yeah this has a huge smell they use a lot of hops in this one. The taste is very rich and smooth up front with a caramel chewy malt ending with the really dry, herbal, mouth puckering bitterness. The pink lemonade grapefruit taste comes out the most and its amazing.

I also get the citrus burst combining with that pink lemonade grapefruit flavor as well. Its amazing that these tastes can be in here all because of hops. The dry bitterness is pill like but extremely enjoyable if you like a good strong IPA. I'm impressed by the malt of this beer as well dominating the first part of the sip until the citrus hop burst comes and ends with the puckering bitterness.

Two beers that I've had that are similar to this are Weyerbacher Infusion because of that pink lemonade very bitter taste and Samuel Adams Latitude 48 with the variety of hops and the Simcoe and Athanum hop on the smell and taste are pretty reminiscent. Get this beer. Best IPA I've had in a can.

4.92/5  rDev +28.8%

Craft beer in a can, beautiful head, aroma immediate once opened. Wonderful citrus flavored without to much hops, finishes awesome with a great bitterness. Craft beer in a can, old school back in fashion? You can find this beer in several states now, all this from a micro-brew pub from San Francisco! Can't wait to see what's next from 21st Amendment Brewery and Pub.

4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

Woody does the CAN-CAN ...

In pouring it from the can into a glass, I got a cascading action not terribly unlike what Guinness prides itself on. Once it settled out, I ended up with two fingers of thick, marshmallow Fluf-like head with great retention. The color was an orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose smelled like the floor of a pine forest! For me, this was Nirvana. Love dem hops! The mouthfeel was medium, which is right for the style, but not exceptional. Great hoppy bitterness in the mouth, up front, but not overpowering. The finish left my mouth feeling lip-smacking bone-dry. I wish that it were more widely available, since the portability of the cans, coupled with the great taste of the beer makes it a strong choice for a picnic or other outdoors activities where glass is frowned upon.

4.82/5  rDev +26.2%

12oz can purchased as a 6-pack from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" light beige head over the cloudy amber brew. Pillowy head lasts nicely, with sticky lacing. Aroma is all about the hops, both juicy citrus and pungeant pine. Taste starts sweet, tinges a bit citrus in the middle, closes dry and piney. Flavors come together superbly. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth, and drinkability is excellent. Another great canned beer, and great beer in general.

4.82/5  rDev +26.2%

Thanks to Gibby32 for this sample bottle. This beer pours a hazy orange color with amber hues. The head is a solid inch in height, and recedes very slowly into nice thick lacing. The aroma is herbal with pine resin, grapefruit rine, and a soft but noticable malt presence. I really like the herbal notes as it seems rare to find an IPA these days that isn't all grapefruit and pine. The taste is a little fruitier than the aroma, but there are still solis floral and herbal tones, and an even larger malt backbone. The bitterness is firm, but not as brash as I would expedct from a beer with 70 IBUs. I really like it nonetheless. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation that lends itself to the suddelties of the beer. The texture is velvety. Overall, this is one of the best IPAs I've had the pleasure of drinking.

4.82/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Not too hoppy. Nice carbonation. Good ABV!! Gets me where I need to be without filling me up too much. Love this beer! I recommend it to go with food.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

Had it from Grapevine Travelers in Medford MA. Nice head very hoppy. Paired with Spicy Indian food. This aromatic golden IPA starts with a sucker punch of six different hops to the nose, quickly balanced by a solid malt backbone. Our top selling beer at the pub, this IPA starts big and finishes clean leaving you wanting more

4.74/5  rDev +24.1%

App: Very clear-gold. With about a finger of 255, 255, 255 white head and nice fluid lacing.

Smell: Very, very citusy, with predominantly grapefruit nodes coming through. Very strong hop characteristics.

Taste: Initially grapefruit, just like the taste, but it is very well balanced with a hoppy aftertaste.

MF: Very nice, I personally prefer this one straight outta the can, kick back and enjoy friends, this ones a keeper.

OA: Like I said, kick back and enjoy friends, this ones a keeper.

4.73/5  rDev +23.8%

The only complaint I have is it that the title of the beer itself is somewhat tacky. That aside this is an excellent IPA. Nice citrus taste with plenty of hops. Can hold it's own against any other IPA imo. The only beer I've tried them so far but look forward to trying their other brews.

4.7/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best beer from a can!
Nice light hazy Gold color, with foamy white head. Very well hopped but your taste buds will still be intact after drinking it. Has enough of a malt back bone to give it good body but it doesn't overtake the hoppy goodness. Pine and grapefruit hop taste.
One of my favorite things about it is an intriguing sweetness to it. All and all great session beer for hop heads!

4.7/5  rDev +23%

THIS is a damn fine IPA. Hailing from the west coast, I'm surprised to find this a rather mellow, nearly British-style IPA.

Nice big crystalline head that slowly fizzled away leaving gritty sparkling lacing in its wake. Light amber color, a touch rusty.

You don't really detect the alcohol, but, wow, does it creep up (maybe I need to eat...). Anyway, the aroma is straight off the Isle. Not aggressively hoppy. A sophisticated hop character. Mellow, earthy, and inviting. Hoppier - compared to a British IPA, but not by much. Wonderfully well-balanced against a bold malt character. Am I in love? Or just drunk (no, I'm not drunk). This is the perfect classic IPA.

This was a pleasant contrast to "blah" chick beer the Watermelon Wheat is trying to be. Well done 2-1.

4.67/5  rDev +22.3%

Sampled at the 21st Amendment in SF.

I was expecting a good IPA and what I got was a great IPA. Gosh, I love it when that happens!

First of all, this was one of the freshest beers I have ever had. According to the bartender, this batch was just brewed and some of it is currently being canned.

Pours a transparent golden color with visibly rising carbonation, thick creamy white head and ridiculous lacing.

This beer does not screw around - it is beginning, middle, and end, all about the hops.

Smell is predominantly citric. No malt whatsoever detectable.

This thing smacks your tastebuds around. Yeah, there's some hints of malt in there, but there's also what tastes like entire chunks of grapefruit and pine cones.

Remarkably drinkable at 7.2%ABV. Delicious.

4.65/5  rDev +21.7%

Very hoppy with a beautiful after taste of orange and spice. Love this beer and I am not a can guy. It tastes better from a cold glass but I had a can in the boat and it was fine. The quality of this beer is above and beyond average for sure. my wife works for a beer dist and brought a case home for $2.00 and I am a happy camper

4.63/5  rDev +21.2%

A. This has a nice, almost completely opaque, caramel color. It has a big foamy white head that leaves a ton of lacing.

S. Mild sweet caramel scent with some hoppiness.

T. This has a beautifully balanced hoppiness to it, and a mild caramel taste...very true to its scent. It has a bit of a rye taste to it. A nice sourness in the back.

M. Carbonated. Very refreshing, but bubbly.

O. This is just magnificently balanced. It isn't overly done and too hoppy. While not completely floral, it has a very tasty sweetness that isn't dominant.

4.6/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received in a trade from Richbeer. Thanks Rich, always a pleasure. Reviewed from notes

There was no Pst! sound when I popped the top on this one but it did pour a nice blond color with an inch of head and left some good lacing. Wow! Smell of pineapple, grapefruit and citrus, with plenty of malt to back it up. Nice earthy IPA. Hard to believe this comes from a can, time to change some can bigotry perceptions. Powerful hop malt profile, hop candy. Hate to say it, almost too much malt. Creamy, resiny hops coat this inside of the mouth, with a lingering finish and pleasant aftertaste. Superbly drinkable. Having one on a plus 90 degree day was just what the doctor ordered.

4.57/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

21st Amendment is a great brewery/company and Brew Free or Die is probably my favorite of their offerings. It is a great mix of hoppiness and maltiness. The citrusy taste that you get at the end leaves you coming back for more. Great IPA. Highly Recommend.

4.56/5  rDev +19.4%

This beer came my way as part of Secret Santa 06. Fartingdog you are the man for sending this beer my way! This beer was served in the handy Haufbrau stein that Fartingdog sent my way.

Appearance: This beer pours a very delicious looking golden amber coloration. The head of the beer is a creamy biege coloration. The head has perfect retention and leaves thick lacing on the glass.

Smell: The beer has a sweet grapefruit juicyness that joins well with pine cone hops.

Taste: The beer delivers a very smooth sweet grapefruit juice and zest combo with excellent pine oily hops. Dam good stuff!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is velvety smooth. The body is just shy of medium and lightly carbonated. The pleasant oilyness of the hops last a long while. This beer is super easy to drink. At 7% this beer is dangerously drinkable. This may be the finest IPA I have drank this year.

Thanks! Fartingdog for sending this very tasty and pleasing beer my way. I must have more!

4.54/5  rDev +18.8%

A huge thanks to woodychandler. My first review from my first trade.

Can (packaged as Brew Free! or Die IPA) poured into a nonic pint.

A- Awesome can art. Lincoln coming out of the Mt. Rushmore about to give a left hook (or is it a jab, hard to tell). A normal pour left a 2-finger, off-white head that sustains at about 1/2-finger for the duration. The body was a clean, golden color just short of copper. Medium-heavy carbonation. Great stick left on the glass. Just a touch clean.

S- Oh so hoppy! They were fresh, floral, and earthy. There's an underlying, sweet malty profile that comes across as a little sugary (not a bad thing). Sweetened cereal, perhaps?

T- That's good. Bold flavors. Good mix of sweet malts and a solid hop punch (though not as hoppy as the aroma would suggest). I get some distinct tropical fruit. Pineapple? Mango? Underlying cereal/grainy malts. Multiple hop characteristics come off as herbal/medicinal, earhty/tobacco, and some citrus. There's a lingering sweetness the more I drink.

M- Hops are biting, but not abrasive. Medium body. Medium carbonation. Sweetness plays a tug-of-war with the drying hops. Does it want to linger or finish bone dry? Ends up in between.

O- This is a darn good IPA. If available in my market, it would be a "go-to." Everything is bold, but works together so nothing is overdone. I could easily put back a couple of these in a sitting.

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Nice color, good head from a canned beer with a nice lace that follows down the glass. Piney is a good word -- at 70ibus it's not a small bitter taste but it also seems like a single up rather than a blend. I agree with earlier comments re: a summer ipa. Good with fish especially as it is lemony (but not buttery the way Belgian ipas can be). I would guess this is even better on tap. As it is, solid.

Updated: I originally gave this an A- but I kept thinking about it again and again. Sure enough, I have to raise my rating. This is excellent and my enjoyment has grown with each one.

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%

12oz can into nonic.

Hazy golden hue with a one finger barely off-white head that slowly settles to a thin cap. The head is nice and pillowy.

Lots of soft citrusy notes, with a little bit of a berry aroma. Very floral. The malts add a bit of sweetness in the background.

Biscuity malts add a very basic table for some complex hops. Citrus, mint, and a little bit of sweet fruit (plum, strawberry). Full bodied.

This is a somewhat short review, but I'm having trouble describing how well the hops are combined. The IPAs have a very sweet quality to balance the bitterness they add. I really enjoyed every beer in this six pack. I'll for sure be returning to this one sometime soon. This is certainly a beer to rival the other canned beer: Dale's Pale Ale with its more tart profile. Recommended.

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%

I've been drinking lots of IPAs this spring and summer, and this is one of my favorites. It pours just like you'd expect from an American IPA. Golden red/orange color and nice hoppy, citrus smell.

I like the balance of this beer. It is a little bitter initially and then seems to get sweeter as you swallow it. I find that very refreshing. A nice jolt of flavor that goes down smoothly. I would put this beer right up next to Bell's two hearted ale.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

A can of IPA!?!? Great golden color and lace. Citrus grapefruit nose. Nice IPA taste with a pine, grapefruit front end, slightly malty on the back and finishes with a little bitterness. Terrific balance to this "can" of beer. I would drink it again in a heartbeat.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from 12oz can into snifter. Beer pours a translucent hazy golden color with a lingering 2 finger white head.

Smell is a nice mix of piney and citrus hops.

Taste follows the nose perfectly. Earthy and piney hops dominate, slight hint of citrus creeps in. Very balanced though, not too dry on the finish. This glass might be empty soon!

Good mouthfeel, hoppy but fairly clean finish.

Overall, success. I recommend this, and most of 21st Amendment's beers.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery