21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
cenci1m

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

01-02-2013 03:29:43 | More by cloudydoug
RowJimmy

1.89/5  rDev -51%

I find this beer pretty bad. Way, way too sweet. I barely sense any hops at all. Rated at 70 IBUs but seems like 1 or 2 IBU is more accurate rating. Its too bad becuase I've been to 21st Amendment many times and like their beers for the most part. This beer may test better on tap, but I don't recall.

01-14-2013 00:24:12 | More by RowJimmy
mugs1789

Maryland

1.93/5  rDev -50%

Thick and sweet and chewy, and not in a good way. Overloaded with hops to the point that it loses all subtlety. No particular type of hop was evident. This beer was a mess. I was hoping for a more balanced beer. This wasn't it.

DIPA lovers may enjoy this but I didn't.

10-02-2011 21:25:43 | More by mugs1789
malloyca

District of Columbia

1.98/5  rDev -48.7%

Clear golden amber in color. Piney grapefruit hop aromas, but rather angular and out of balance. This was an extraordinarily bitter IPA, with faint pine and grapefruit flavors overwhelmed by an unpleasant taste of yellow onions. I thought the first can in the six pack may have been spoiled, but the taste was consistent through the six pack. Medium to light body, with light carbonation.

11-20-2010 20:13:14 | More by malloyca

12-28-2011 19:25:03 | More by thatdirtymick
atigerlife

Hawaii

2.08/5  rDev -46.1%

Pours dark golden with 1+ finger fluffy white head. No carbonation rising. Lots of floaters suspended in the beer....somewhat dubious looking.

Aroma of grapefruit, malt. Some other background aromas that I can't quite place.

Taste is grapefruit, floral, light malts. There's a citrus gone bad taste to this beer. Not good.

Mouthfeel is medium light, cleansing and somewhat sticky.

Overall, not drinkable. So many good IPA's out there that this one is not worth the effort.

02-16-2011 17:48:25 | More by atigerlife
brdc

Wisconsin

2.15/5  rDev -44.3%

Can, poured into a mug. Thanks stoutsnipas for this one.

Golden color, large white head, average retention, no lacing.
Aroma is grassy and citric hops, some biscuits underlying.
Mouthfeel is very watery, and the flavor, which is mostly citrusy hops, feels watered down too, for some reason. I already though this was a bit weak, but now reviewing, I found out this is 7% ABV, which makes it even weaker.
This one is a miss.

04-10-2010 14:31:58 | More by brdc
Dukeofearl

2.2/5  rDev -43%

I bought a 6 pack of cans when this recently arrived at the local BevMo, and with eager anticipation, I tried the first. After all, the pub in SF is one of the best, right? So I have heard at least (not having been able to attend in person). But alas, I really have a hard time finding anything good to say about this IPA. I just don't get it. Harsh, medicinal aftertaste, no balance in the flavor profile itself. Chewy mouthfeel (I literally am making chewing motions after I have swallowed). I'm sorry, I have really tried to like this one. I really like West Coast IPAs. But I drank the first one to the end, even though I didn't like it. Tried number 2 and barely made it through. Gave numbers 3 and 4 away to other beer lovers to see if it was me. Now on number 5, I finally am willing to sit down and say something. But first I need to pour the rest of it out. What shall I do with the last one? I just don't like this beer. Maybe it is me.

06-10-2009 01:36:39 | More by Dukeofearl
schoolboy

2.2/5  rDev -43%

Wow, I'll bet I got a bum can. I had previously tried this brewery's watermelon brew and found it to be quite good. This tastes like it has been sitting is a bad place for too long.

I doubt that the funkiness is the retailer's fault - they are a pretty busy place. It has a sour taste that I don't think it is supposed to have. I will give it a second chance, some day, just not too soon.

02-12-2011 22:24:41 | More by schoolboy
kingcrowing

Vermont

2.23/5  rDev -42.2%

12oz can poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a hazy and very light amber/yellow - quite light for an IPA, head is generous and white but then quickly fades to nil with some light lacing. Nose is all resinous pine hop notes, it's sweet and malty - a bit harsh.

Sheesh, this thing is really harsh - it's very bitter but it's not very hoppy or floral at all, it's really quite unplesant. Mouthfeel is sharp and crisp, fairly light. It just is not very drinkable because it's so harsh and rough. Not sure how this is rated so high. Not very impressed with this brewery.

10-08-2010 23:08:03 | More by kingcrowing
seeswo

2.23/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours a clear, slightly hazy golden color with a big white head. Head slowly pillows itself away. Smells for citrus hops, maybe a touch of soap and/ or metallic flavors. Has a moderate bitterness in the taste, with big citrus (orange rind, lemon) that ultimately doesn't work. There seems to be major off flavors, soapiness, but there is also a metallic flavor, and even bandaid. Actually, drain pour for me and my hop loving buddy. The mouthfeel is medium high carbonation and the appropriate body. Ugh. It tastes gross, so, sorry...

03-06-2011 04:43:55 | More by seeswo
LarryV

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours a cloudy yellow with minimal lacing. Aroma is citrusy hops, not much else. Taste is citrusy, grapefruit hoppiness. It's probably just me, but despite the fact I really like hoppy beers, I don't like the hoppiness of this beer at all. I think it's the type of hops that they used, but I find it a chore to drink this beer. One sixer is plenty, I have no plans to ever drink this beer again.

06-28-2009 04:19:25 | More by LarryV
Fluke828

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

12 oz can poured into Murphy's Imperial Tulip-esque pint glass.
Date of bottom of can reads "0357 0739"

A-> A very pale amber/gold color, hmmmm way to light for the style IMO but whatever, here we go...Big frothy almost 4-finger head that takes a while to subside.

S-> Seems a bit off. Almost smells wheat/weizen like at first. Some very faint citrus hops in the back. Not off to good start. Just smells stale and sticky...like the floor of a beer warehouse that is wearing countless layers of spilled warm beer and kind of stinks.

T-> First two sips and I almost drain poured it. After calming down and really trying to examine it, it wasn't as terrible as I thought. Had to grab some pepper jack cheese out of the fridge to appreciate what this beer was bringing. Finally got some of the hop bite with the aid of the pepper jack and finally got some of the faint citrus I got in the nose. Still tasted a bit stale and beginning to wonder if this is an older can.

M-> Here is where this beer actually did fairly well in my eyes....good amount of bitter carbonation and overall feel. Didn't leave much of a coating but again I had already had a small slice of p-jack to try to get this thing going.

O-> A disappointment. I figured since it was a can that maybe just maybe it would still be good. Even though I had a feeling that the first four numbers on the bottom were a Julian date that meant it was bottled in the last few days of 2010. Still, it should be somewhat decent but no dice. I will not be seeking this one out again.

04-21-2011 00:41:25 | More by Fluke828
smakawhat

Maryland

2.33/5  rDev -39.6%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Out of the can she pours a simple gold on to a golden orange clear body. There is some strange haze just below the head of this beer that looks like a yeast cloud of some sort. Head is a solid three to four fingers which has much staying power, and has a somewhat soap quality. Minimal carbonation coming from the bottom. Some minimal stickyness on the lacing.

Bouquet is really closed. Seriously I am getting next to nothing off this, where is the smell on this beer??? Isn't this suppose to have SOMETHING on it??? Completely closed. Only after a taste and swallow reexamining the bouquet there is maybe some weak hop on the nose but really hard to notice.

Taste is a very wet and mild hop bitter. Missing bread and grain character which I really like with no sense of density at all. Where is the citrus fruit, pine, resin, bread, malt... ANYTHING .... Very faint bread chew on the swallow but incredibly weak. Simple aromatic bitter hop but really a dud.

Wow this was not fun, even at 7 ABV this feels incredibly weak, muted, and watery. I don't think I'll ever have this again.

02-18-2011 03:28:22 | More by smakawhat
EspressoGuy

British Columbia (Canada)

2.33/5  rDev -39.6%

coding 11214A280

A: deep honey gold; rich thick head
S: not fresh, carboardy, can't detect any hops; stale maltiness
T: boring, there's flavour there but nothing fresh or interesting. The malt and hops seem to be muted and fight each other leaving a flat, boring taste. Some bitterness but not a fresh crispness.
M: nice rich, smooth
O: a rich full tatsting beer but overall disappointing. More like a plain ale -- not even a pale ale-- than an IPA.

03-17-2012 22:14:38 | More by EspressoGuy
DoubleJ

2.45/5  rDev -36.5%

On-tap at Cannery Row Brewing, on to the beer:

The color is a cross between orange and yellow. The body is clean, the head on top retaining fine, and good splashes of lace clinging to the glass. The aroma is strange, bringing to mind the aroma of cider. There's some resiny stuff detected, but to my nose, it smells more like a cider with hops than an IPA.

Much sweeter than I though. Malt forward at first, though to be fair, the hops don't provide much details at this point. That cidery aroma I detected has made itself present in the beer's taste. There's also notes of white grapes. The second half of the taste is where the hops make some kind of a push. At this point, the hop levels can be described as moderate, and they provide a little bitterness and resin. It's medium bodied, with gentle carbonation.

This is either the case of a poor IPA or an unlucky sample. I'm hoping it's the latter.

11-12-2012 19:09:25 | More by DoubleJ