21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,242 | Reviews: 819
1.91/5  rDev -50.5%

I find this beer pretty bad. Way, way too sweet. I barely sense any hops at all. Rated at 70 IBUs but seems like 1 or 2 IBU is more accurate rating. Its too bad becuase I've been to 21st Amendment many times and like their beers for the most part. This beer may test better on tap, but I don't recall.

Thick and sweet and chewy, and not in a good way. Overloaded with hops to the point that it loses all subtlety. No particular type of hop was evident. This beer was a mess. I was hoping for a more balanced beer. This wasn't it.

DIPA lovers may enjoy this but I didn't.

2.04/5  rDev -47.2%

Clear golden amber in color. Piney grapefruit hop aromas, but rather angular and out of balance. This was an extraordinarily bitter IPA, with faint pine and grapefruit flavors overwhelmed by an unpleasant taste of yellow onions. I thought the first can in the six pack may have been spoiled, but the taste was consistent through the six pack. Medium to light body, with light carbonation.

2.19/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours dark golden with 1+ finger fluffy white head. No carbonation rising. Lots of floaters suspended in the beer....somewhat dubious looking.

Aroma of grapefruit, malt. Some other background aromas that I can't quite place.

Taste is grapefruit, floral, light malts. There's a citrus gone bad taste to this beer. Not good.

Mouthfeel is medium light, cleansing and somewhat sticky.

Overall, not drinkable. So many good IPA's out there that this one is not worth the effort.

2.19/5  rDev -43.3%

Can, poured into a mug. Thanks stoutsnipas for this one.

Golden color, large white head, average retention, no lacing.
Aroma is grassy and citric hops, some biscuits underlying.
Mouthfeel is very watery, and the flavor, which is mostly citrusy hops, feels watered down too, for some reason. I already though this was a bit weak, but now reviewing, I found out this is 7% ABV, which makes it even weaker.
This one is a miss.

2.24/5  rDev -42%

Wow, I'll bet I got a bum can. I had previously tried this brewery's watermelon brew and found it to be quite good. This tastes like it has been sitting is a bad place for too long.

I doubt that the funkiness is the retailer's fault - they are a pretty busy place. It has a sour taste that I don't think it is supposed to have. I will give it a second chance, some day, just not too soon.

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

12oz can poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a hazy and very light amber/yellow - quite light for an IPA, head is generous and white but then quickly fades to nil with some light lacing. Nose is all resinous pine hop notes, it's sweet and malty - a bit harsh.

Sheesh, this thing is really harsh - it's very bitter but it's not very hoppy or floral at all, it's really quite unplesant. Mouthfeel is sharp and crisp, fairly light. It just is not very drinkable because it's so harsh and rough. Not sure how this is rated so high. Not very impressed with this brewery.

2.26/5  rDev -41.5%

I bought a 6 pack of cans when this recently arrived at the local BevMo, and with eager anticipation, I tried the first. After all, the pub in SF is one of the best, right? So I have heard at least (not having been able to attend in person). But alas, I really have a hard time finding anything good to say about this IPA. I just don't get it. Harsh, medicinal aftertaste, no balance in the flavor profile itself. Chewy mouthfeel (I literally am making chewing motions after I have swallowed). I'm sorry, I have really tried to like this one. I really like West Coast IPAs. But I drank the first one to the end, even though I didn't like it. Tried number 2 and barely made it through. Gave numbers 3 and 4 away to other beer lovers to see if it was me. Now on number 5, I finally am willing to sit down and say something. But first I need to pour the rest of it out. What shall I do with the last one? I just don't like this beer. Maybe it is me.

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

12 oz can poured into Murphy's Imperial Tulip-esque pint glass.
Date of bottom of can reads "0357 0739"

A-> A very pale amber/gold color, hmmmm way to light for the style IMO but whatever, here we go...Big frothy almost 4-finger head that takes a while to subside.

S-> Seems a bit off. Almost smells wheat/weizen like at first. Some very faint citrus hops in the back. Not off to good start. Just smells stale and sticky...like the floor of a beer warehouse that is wearing countless layers of spilled warm beer and kind of stinks.

T-> First two sips and I almost drain poured it. After calming down and really trying to examine it, it wasn't as terrible as I thought. Had to grab some pepper jack cheese out of the fridge to appreciate what this beer was bringing. Finally got some of the hop bite with the aid of the pepper jack and finally got some of the faint citrus I got in the nose. Still tasted a bit stale and beginning to wonder if this is an older can.

M-> Here is where this beer actually did fairly well in my eyes....good amount of bitter carbonation and overall feel. Didn't leave much of a coating but again I had already had a small slice of p-jack to try to get this thing going.

O-> A disappointment. I figured since it was a can that maybe just maybe it would still be good. Even though I had a feeling that the first four numbers on the bottom were a Julian date that meant it was bottled in the last few days of 2010. Still, it should be somewhat decent but no dice. I will not be seeking this one out again.

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours a cloudy yellow with minimal lacing. Aroma is citrusy hops, not much else. Taste is citrusy, grapefruit hoppiness. It's probably just me, but despite the fact I really like hoppy beers, I don't like the hoppiness of this beer at all. I think it's the type of hops that they used, but I find it a chore to drink this beer. One sixer is plenty, I have no plans to ever drink this beer again.

2.32/5  rDev -39.9%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Out of the can she pours a simple gold on to a golden orange clear body. There is some strange haze just below the head of this beer that looks like a yeast cloud of some sort. Head is a solid three to four fingers which has much staying power, and has a somewhat soap quality. Minimal carbonation coming from the bottom. Some minimal stickyness on the lacing.

Bouquet is really closed. Seriously I am getting next to nothing off this, where is the smell on this beer??? Isn't this suppose to have SOMETHING on it??? Completely closed. Only after a taste and swallow reexamining the bouquet there is maybe some weak hop on the nose but really hard to notice.

Taste is a very wet and mild hop bitter. Missing bread and grain character which I really like with no sense of density at all. Where is the citrus fruit, pine, resin, bread, malt... ANYTHING .... Very faint bread chew on the swallow but incredibly weak. Simple aromatic bitter hop but really a dud.

Wow this was not fun, even at 7 ABV this feels incredibly weak, muted, and watery. I don't think I'll ever have this again.

2.33/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear, slightly hazy golden color with a big white head. Head slowly pillows itself away. Smells for citrus hops, maybe a touch of soap and/ or metallic flavors. Has a moderate bitterness in the taste, with big citrus (orange rind, lemon) that ultimately doesn't work. There seems to be major off flavors, soapiness, but there is also a metallic flavor, and even bandaid. Actually, drain pour for me and my hop loving buddy. The mouthfeel is medium high carbonation and the appropriate body. Ugh. It tastes gross, so, sorry...

2.35/5  rDev -39.1%

coding 11214A280

A: deep honey gold; rich thick head
S: not fresh, carboardy, can't detect any hops; stale maltiness
T: boring, there's flavour there but nothing fresh or interesting. The malt and hops seem to be muted and fight each other leaving a flat, boring taste. Some bitterness but not a fresh crispness.
M: nice rich, smooth
O: a rich full tatsting beer but overall disappointing. More like a plain ale -- not even a pale ale-- than an IPA.

2.44/5  rDev -36.8%

On-tap at Cannery Row Brewing, on to the beer:

The color is a cross between orange and yellow. The body is clean, the head on top retaining fine, and good splashes of lace clinging to the glass. The aroma is strange, bringing to mind the aroma of cider. There's some resiny stuff detected, but to my nose, it smells more like a cider with hops than an IPA.

Much sweeter than I though. Malt forward at first, though to be fair, the hops don't provide much details at this point. That cidery aroma I detected has made itself present in the beer's taste. There's also notes of white grapes. The second half of the taste is where the hops make some kind of a push. At this point, the hop levels can be described as moderate, and they provide a little bitterness and resin. It's medium bodied, with gentle carbonation.

This is either the case of a poor IPA or an unlucky sample. I'm hoping it's the latter.

2.54/5  rDev -34.2%

From baycat, canned april 4 2011

A - Orange/yellow amber body, decent dark white head. Not bad.

S - the age shows here. Only a hint of lemony zest, some yeast spice. It could be a bad belgian IPA but instead, it seems like a bad American IPA.

T - Light toffee malt, bit of diacetyl. No hops really...Could be a blonde ale.

M - Smooth, Decent body. A respectable mouthfeel.

O (D) - I'm sure this beer is better when it's fresh, but 7 weeks out under unknown storage conditions, it's not very good.

2.56/5  rDev -33.7%

A -A strawish colour but not quite as pale, maybe a hint of aamber in there, the head was gone in three minutes and the lack of lacing was a little surprising.

S - Grapefruit and hops. That's it.

T - The hops are there but not particularly strong, the grapfruit flavour is mild and I felt that there was no depth or balance to this crude brew.

M - Thin, thin, thin. How is that even possible with 7%?

D - Slips down easy because it's so thin and doesn't offer the big flavours that should be expected from a beer with a high ABV like this one. Drinkable in the same way that a Bud Light is, although obviously it's far better than that, even though it's not a good example of a west coast IPA.

2.57/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Can: Poured a bright golden color ale with a large thick foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of soapy hops with light citrus undertone is a bit weird and not what I was expecting. Taste is also a weird mix between some soapy hops with light citrus undertones and a sweet malt base. Body is about average with good carbonation. I really didn't like the hops profile in this one and the malt base is too sweet for my taste.

2.6/5  rDev -32.6%

Got a can from stageseven. Poured 12 oz can into pint glass.

A- Pours very hazy dark orange. Large fluffy white head. Some good retention with lots of lace left on the glass.

S- Nose has a lot of sugary sweet smell here. Malt aroma overtakes any hop scents trying to come through.

T- Not what I was expecting from an IPA. Very malt heavy with little hop flavor. Get a bit of hops right at the start, but quickly turns into sweet malt flavors. Maybe a taste of honey mixed in as well. Would love to have more hops to balance out the beer.

M- Medium body on the lighter side. Moderate carbonation. Sweet mouth feel.

D- First IPA I can remember with almost no hop flavors. Being a fan of big hop flavor this wasn't my favorite. Thanks though for the brew Adam.

2.61/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

From a 12 oz. can into a pint glass, this brew pours clear and golden, almost a deep straw in color. A half inch of white head settles quickly to a surface ring, throwing off bits of lacing here and there.

Buttery rancid orange on the nose, a curious blend of hops and malts. Not really to my liking. Hop presence is there but you really have to work for it, and then it's quickly quenched by the malt structure. As the beer settles more hops are apparent, as is the fact that they have a semi-composted sense about them at times, otherwise earthy and peaty.

Flavor is a bit reaching. Offers a bitter and slightly drying finish and a slightly cloying flavor, and is a bit unbalanced as the bitterness easily outweighs any hop presence, particularly given the apparent sweetness. Average feel and a so-so drinkability given the balance, of sorts.

Overall I'm unimpressed as I become more firmly entrenched in the 'San Diego Style' IPA vs. the nectar like IPA's of the Northwest/NorCal.

2.65/5  rDev -31.3%

12 oz. can with some batch code. The label declares that the brewery is in San Francisco, but the fine print on the side says that it is made and canned in Cold Springs, MN. Interesting. It pours a clouded orange due to a botched decanting, and is topped with a thin white cap. Smells of orange, grapefruit and perhaps some pine. Pale malts, orange, aspirin, fruits and a medium bitterness on the palate. The fruity hops, penetrating sweetness and yeasty flavor remind me of a fruit beer. Tingly, fullish and a bit dry, not light and crisp like an IPA requires. This might be good with food or as a dessert, but it is too filling and way too sweet for an IPA. Not for me.

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The pale yellow color with a good 2 finger foam head. The smell was fairly faint with not much hop aroma. It smells sweet like an esb. The taste was similar to the esb as well it didn't taste like an IPA to me. In the mouth it was sweet with a minimal hop bitterness. Overall I probably won't be buying this one anytime soon.

2.71/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured this 12 oz. can into a Sam Adams glass. No date but coded on the bottom. The body was clear and rich golden in color. There was a tall off white head.

Smell was candy-like. Citrus. Sweet floral aroma. A bit of sour apple. Not a typical IPA aroma profile.

Taste was also unique. I love bitter IPAs but this one was not that satisfying. It was citrusy with solid malty grains but there was some unappealing flavor I cannot describe. Almost a soap-like bitterness. Brassy. Apricots. However, something less than yummy lingers with this one.

Mouthfeel had some slickness. Less carbonation than expected. Medium bodied.

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

picked up a single can it poured a hazy light orange color with little head and some slight lacing.the smell was slight everything.. minimal citrus, hops malts.. the taste was the same it was bland and average could barely taste the hops where is the citrus and grassy tastes and malts? ..its not well balanced and not that flavorful..is something lost on this being brewed in cold springs,mn and not san francisco? i did not like this IPA and will not buy or recommend it.... to many other ipas out there to purchase and enjoy then to drink such an average one..had such high hopes for this one with all the buzz!!!??

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

12oz can, poured into a pint

Pours a light golden color with a tint of orange through the middle. Some mild lacing and a one finger paper white cap.

Cheesy hops on the nose (improperly stored?) with some lightly toasted white bread and some citrus.

Some piney hops rush to the front and say hello before pale malt enters the equation. The finish is lightly, and I mean lightly bitter. This reminds me of a heartier well-hopped pilsner. Not what I am looking for in an IPA.

Light to medium body, little syrupy/chewy. Mild bitterness at best.

This just didn't deliver for me. Lightly hopped, sturdy malt and little to no bitterness.

2.74/5  rDev -29%

A - Big foamy head, clear and straw colored beverage. Feels like I've seen that somewhere before...

S -Mostly bitter with a grassy hop presence that finishes in the nose as a citrusy creature

T - This one begins sour, like lemon sour for example with a slightly metallic thing going on.

M - A little oily and medium carbonated.

Not the most impressive thing I've had. I've seen/tasted worse, but this one isn't the best IPA I've had.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery