21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
LeftyEtc

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured out of the can, yes, can...I know, i wasn't expecting much only because most beers we see in cans are the mass produced crapy skunk flavored water with foam on top but this is a good beer. I have also had Dales Pale Ale and that was also a nice surprise. A bright orange body and thin white head leave almost no lacing on your glass. The aroma is the first thing that made me smile about this beer it is certainly hoppy with an orange peel hint. First served very cold the hop list with this beer must be rather full. As the beer warmed a slight alcohol burn can be noticed and a sweet balance to the hops is evident. Still hoppy all the way through. With average carbonation and smooth finish this beer is refreshing and very drinkable. Don't be turned off by the can, try it.

03-30-2011 16:08:04 | More by LeftyEtc
surprenant1138

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a can into a pint glass, creating a good inch of thick, foamy, white head that dissolves very slowly. Faint lacing. Nice golden color in appearance. Aroma is very citrusy, light on the hops, and very bitter smelling. Taste is bread-like and yeasty, with some hops. Mouthfeel is a of a light bodied type. The citrus, mostly lemony taste is there. Slightyly spicy. This is an alright IPA.

03-28-2011 23:56:37 | More by surprenant1138
kevinv

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from the signature can into my New Belgium globe. No dating noted on the can. Received as an extra from JRod1969; thanks man.

A - Pours a hazy golden/orange color with a billowing 2 finger slightly off-white head. Pretty good retention. A fair amount of lacing remains on the glass. Lively carbonation is seen bubbling from the bottom of the glass.

S - Very floral aroma. Great hop bill used here. Scents of pine, grapefruits, pineapple, very tropical. There's also a sugary sweetness in the nose.

T - The sugary sweetness in the smell is much more prevalent in the taste. Light honey notes. I'm a bit disappointed that I don't get much of the hop goodness that I noticed in the smell. The malty backbone comes through more than any hop flavors. Not sure if this is an older can or how it's supposed to taste. There's a lack of bitterness here.

M - Light/medium mouthfeel with a moderate carbonation. Well balanced, but a little lighter than I'd like to feel. The finish leaves an oily/resiny feel coating the mouth.

D/O - The malt seems to overpower the hops, which is unfortunate, but it's not a bad IPA overall.

03-26-2011 22:16:41 | More by kevinv
salvo

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours murky straw towards orange wth an inch of foam. The head does not last, but it streaks my Sam Adams beer glass all teh way to the bottom.

Smell is a bit sour; grassy and floral hops are assertive, but there's an odd medicinal/hospital smell over it all. Sweet malts balance the nose late.

Taste starts strong with grassy and floral hops, wide sweet malts, and then the odd sourness asserts itself. The finish is long and sour, and really has be wondering what's going on: is it this particular can?

Mouthfeel is nice and rich, medium bodied.

Overall, however, I am disappointed having been really looking forward to another well-regarded canned IPA.

03-26-2011 21:52:51 | More by salvo
nsmartell

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz can to a standard pint glass. (From my notes on 05-26-10.)

Appearance: Pours orange/yellow with a fluffy white that does not last.

Smell: Tasty grassy hops.

Taste: Similar to the aroma with the grassy hops, but with orange thrown in there.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and sticky.

Drinkability: Good, would definitely recommend. I enjoyed the rest of the 6-pack.

03-26-2011 11:59:52 | More by nsmartell
betsona

Idaho

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to seeswo for this 12oz can: poured into a pint glass.

A- Hazy golden straw. Moderate pour produced a finger and half of fluffy white head; dissipates quickly into a thin lacing. Lacing on the glass.

S- Sweet sugars that meld well with an interesting wild floral hop. Not sure what wild flower, but reminds me of spring. Also picking up trace amounts of industrial smells. It is unique for sure.

T- It is sweet from the very beginning. Has a hoppy bitterness towards the end. Reminds me of eating a peach and grapefruit combined. Sweetness on first bite mellowed out by bitter tartness. Truly something I have not had to date.

M- Medium body with right amount of carbonation. Interesting linger of bitter mixed tartness; like leaving a peach in your mouth for a long period.

O- It is unique to say the least. It is slightly higher on abv, but no alcohol tastes combined with its unique flavor leave me wanting another. At the same time, I am not completely sold on the taste; a little on the sweet side.

03-24-2011 19:38:09 | More by betsona
Fish113d

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured chilled into a Sam Adams "special beer glass", it pours an amber color with a 1 finger-thick slightly tan head that clings to the sides of the glass nicely. Some SLIGHT haze, but decent clarity.

Fairly sweet sugar cane on the nose right away along with some piney hops following it up. Also some slight citrus peel on the nose as well. Decent.

Sipping reveals a bit more sweetness than expected. Sweet grapefruit flavors come first followed by a quick blast of fresh pine hops and then the citrus flavor comes back. The finish is fairly mild w/ a touch of grains or biscuits. Very nice.

Very nice body...medium body with a decent amount of carbonation up front with a slight bit of the alcohol hitting on the finish. Nothing major and fairly average.

Overall, this is a very nice session brew. I drank a 6-pack the other night, and it was quite enjoyable. Cheers!

03-24-2011 00:40:46 | More by Fish113d
Mosley1212

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from the can (with what may be the greatest logo ever--the presidents add a lot to the experience) into my DFH Snifter.

A--Dark orange with a sticky white head that had period lacing throughout the beer.

S--Grapefruit and other citrus on a musty hop background. Not the greatest smell for the IPA, hopefully the taste doesn't follow the nose.

T--It doesn't. I do not taste the must at all. It has a nice grapefruit taste up front, but the back of the sip is all hops. This beer is nice and fresh and has a great IPA flavor.

M--The tongue is abused by the hops, but that's not an unpleasant thing with this beer. There is a slight watery taste and a mild carbonation, but nothing to complain about.

O--As my first 21st Amendment brew, it makes me really anxious to try others by them. I really like this IPA. It is not my favorite, but I would have no problem drinking this one whenever I am out.

03-24-2011 00:36:18 | More by Mosley1212
NWer

Washington

Brew Free or Die poured into a 21st Amendment chalice.
Nice golden clear appearance, somewhat effervescent. One inch head nice retention.
Smell mild fruity slight citrus. Taste a little bolder but not much. Balanced with fruit and hop flavors leave a very pleasant mouth feel. Nice easy drinker but not up there with the best. A second tier IPA.

03-22-2011 21:25:39 | More by NWer
patoakes7

3.85/5  rDev 0%

A- Pours a golden orange in color, with a nice white head of about a half an inch. Pretty clear slightly cloudy with a suddle lacing left on the glass.

S- Smells of citrusy hops but not that distinct. Slight malt background.

T- Has a nice and balanced hop bite throughout. Slightly floral with a bitter end. Missing the grapefruit I like in a traditional west coast IPA.

M-It has nice smooth carbonation for an IPA. Leaves a sweet dry feeling in the mouth.

O- Sessionable beer hands down. Not my favorite IPA but I really give props to the company and how they represent themselves. I drink their beer, cans are cool!

03-22-2011 04:03:02 | More by patoakes7
mdr4669

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

App: Very clear-gold. With about a finger of 255, 255, 255 white head and nice fluid lacing.

Smell: Very, very citusy, with predominantly grapefruit nodes coming through. Very strong hop characteristics.

Taste: Initially grapefruit, just like the taste, but it is very well balanced with a hoppy aftertaste.

MF: Very nice, I personally prefer this one straight outta the can, kick back and enjoy friends, this ones a keeper.

OA: Like I said, kick back and enjoy friends, this ones a keeper.

03-21-2011 16:50:14 | More by mdr4669
Scotchboy

Idaho

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden straw, slightly hazy. Soapy off-white head that sticks around once it's diminished to about half a finger. Good not great lacing.

S: Unique, floral hop aroma thats full of sweetgrass and wildflowers (lavender?) - almost detergent-y. Soft peach, and the grain is there as well. Intriguing but not my favorite...my brain is literally thinking 'soap' while I smell it.

T: This IPA has the most distinct peach-hop character of any beer I've had. There is a mild hop bitterness, some malt backbone, a floral/grassy component...grapefruit rind as well. The slight lingering bitterness is grapefruit.

MF: Not impressed by this either, this beer doesn't do anything to make to me think its not a light MF. It's a little drying. I think this beer would benefit from a little more carbonation, to move the flavors around and prick the tongue.

O: Not my favorite IPA. While it is well crafted, there are others I prefer.

03-20-2011 03:22:10 | More by Scotchboy
BerkeleyBeerMan

I poured this one from a 12 oz. can into a 12 oz. glass. The generous head sticks out of the top of the glass but does dissipate rather quickly. There is some moderate lacing on the side of the glass. The beer presents a few large bubbles. The color is orange with a slight haziness. It looks very much like real honey. Can I spread this beer on my toast? But wait. This IPA already has a heavy bread character. I am reminded of the fresh Country white bread that my grandmother used to make. The beer has slight buttery qualities. There is also a flavor of marmalade and oat. This IPA is really well balanced. The malts stand out with exemplary character and are backed by a good dash of both spicy and citric hops. This is a very unusual beverage that is much easier to drink than your average pine bush flavored IPA. I really enjoy this full bodied beer which dissolves slowly in my mouth and finished with a slightly delicious caramel and orange aftertaste. It taste like breakfast in my mouth. An excellent beer which may be appreciate by some IPA drinkers who are afraid of hops. My only criticism would be that the malts overpower the hop aromas (perhaps there isn't much there). A good solid beer.

03-19-2011 08:01:05 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
Rickythejeweler

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

A - Big white fluffy 3 finger head, insane lacing that sticks and doesn't let go, orange/golden/copper.

S - Light hops, fruity, soft banana scent.

T - Delicious! Mango, pineapple, slightly bitter hops, "Smarties" candy flavor in the middle, and ends with soft/muddled warrior hop flavor.

M - Perfect carbonation, nice and smooth

D - Sessionable even though its 7% abv, refreshing, delicious!

03-13-2011 01:43:19 | More by Rickythejeweler
PicoPapa

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

12oz can. Pours a slightly hazy amber color with an inch of frothy head. Lots of lacing. Smells citrusy and floral. Great hop aroma. Some tropical fruit. Flavor has more of that tropical fruit and citrus taste. Getting a good amount of pineapple and maybe mango. Good amount of hop flavor and bitterness. Pretty fruity IPA. Overall this is a pretty solid IPA and nicely drinkable.

03-11-2011 05:23:58 | More by PicoPapa
gkunkle

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a cloudy golden color with a white head of decent size that leaves a little lacing. Smells of citrus hops, also a little bit of earthy hops, no malt on the smell. The taste starts strongly with citrus hops, then transitions to a bit of sweet malt as it moves back the tongue, finishes with lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is a lighter than expected, not great for a winter IPA, but this would be very refreshing in the summer. Overall, it's a good beer, lack of body holds it back from winter enjoyment a bit, I'll probably buy a 6 pack of this in the summer.

03-11-2011 00:06:27 | More by gkunkle
danmcg62

A friend of mine turned me on to Back In Black so, I figured I'd give this one a try.

A-It pours a cloudy orangey-yellow with about a thumb width head that stays around for a while. I like the way this beer looks. Very pleasing to the eye.

S-A smell of cream hits the nose with first sniff. Deep almost smokey smell. Grassy notes come through after a deep sniff.

T-A combo of hops and malt. Very bitter almost sour taste to the brew. Citrus flavors come out in the after taste.

M-Very liquidy. Nothing too exciting.

D-Due to the overwhelming sourness of the brew I'm finding it very hard to drink.

I gotta say after trying Back In Black, which I found to be a pretty stellar brew, I'm a little disappointed in this one.

03-10-2011 01:43:18 | More by danmcg62
chriswilkes33

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden color, maybe a little on the lighter color side for an ipa. Nice white head that disipates slowly leaving a little lacing on the glass.

Aroma: This is where Im not sure I got the freshest of the fresh. I dont really get any of the hop aroma I expect to get from an ipa. I definately can smell a nice malt backbone.

Taste: The aroma did not lead me astray. Where are the hops? I must have a can that isnt very fresh. 7% abv is hidden well here in the malts though. The malts are tasty, just wish I was getting kicked in the face with a little more hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: A little on the sweet side for an ipa, this may be perfect if there was some hop balance, again, maybe the cans I have are just too old...

drinkability: Its not a drain pour. Im not running back to the fridge for another can though.

03-10-2011 00:36:29 | More by chriswilkes33
PhillyStyle

Georgia

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer poured a hazy orange with a nice white head that faded quickly.

Aroma is a nice, a little lighter than expected, but mostly citrus hop with some malted barley.

The taste is maltier than expected, with a nice dose of the citrus hop and a hint of floral hops.

The beer had a medium feel to it. It was smooth and easy to drink. I expected more of a dry and bitter aftertaste than I got. Overall, a good beer and one that I would pick up again.

03-09-2011 18:03:47 | More by PhillyStyle
seeswo

2.23/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear, slightly hazy golden color with a big white head. Head slowly pillows itself away. Smells for citrus hops, maybe a touch of soap and/ or metallic flavors. Has a moderate bitterness in the taste, with big citrus (orange rind, lemon) that ultimately doesn't work. There seems to be major off flavors, soapiness, but there is also a metallic flavor, and even bandaid. Actually, drain pour for me and my hop loving buddy. The mouthfeel is medium high carbonation and the appropriate body. Ugh. It tastes gross, so, sorry...

03-06-2011 04:43:55 | More by seeswo
Hibernator

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

21st Amendment IPA
12 oz can
Jet ink on the bottom of the can - 0144 0638
Served in an Ommegang Witte glass

Pours a hazy orange color with a decent head on top. Some frothy trails of sticky lace cling to the glassware.

Citrus whiffs in the nose with some sweet notes. I also get some old stale notes.

Caramel malt backbone with major citrus fruit. Flavors of grapefruit and lime. The finish is almost tangy and tart. Biting hop presence on the finish, but I'm getting some 'off' flavors. I'm starting to wonder if this beer is not the freshest sample. I paid $10 for this 6 pack, so I'll make it work. I'll have to try this beer again.

03-06-2011 02:19:57 | More by Hibernator
EgadBananas

Louisiana

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to woodychandler for the CAN!

Pours a pale orange/yellow, with a bit of haze and a bright white head of about a finger that laces nicely.

Aroma is nice and woodsy with some citrus touches and a bit of sweetness.

Nice bitter up front, predominantly citrus hops, grapefruit and orange, with some light malt sweetness and breadiness.

Feel is slightly creamy, sits light, and isn't too crisp. Carbonation is good.

Drinkability is good. Solid IPA, what's not to like?

03-03-2011 01:29:31 | More by EgadBananas
Andrewtherooster

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Let's just get this out of the way--I tend to like my IPA's dry and bitter. This one's got plenty of malt, nice and caramelly, but there's a great bitterness. Too many IPA's rely solely on heavy hop flavor additions, and trust me, they're here, but don't have enough bite. It's got bite, plus it's pretty, with amazing clarity and lacing. Nice orange rind notes coming from the hops, with some caramelly malt. A good drinking IPA that stands out in such an overflooded style.

03-02-2011 00:57:22 | More by Andrewtherooster
armock

Can from BevMo

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of citrus hops with some malt getting through

T - Follows the nose with the citrus hops upfront then some malt seaking in the finish

M - This beer has a medium body with higher carbonation to it

D - I am really liking this IPA with a good balanced taste this is very easy to drink and the fact that its in a can makes it possible to enjoy in the outdoors worth finding to try sometime

02-28-2011 23:29:47 | More by armock
musicforairports

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

Canned 11/20/10 if my math is right, reviewed 2/27/11.

Pours a hazy but see-through-able golden, makes some head and leaves lacing.

Once the can is opened, it smells like decent grassy hops. But once poured in the glass, I can't smell anything but some faint apple-like fruit flavors.

Taste is full of fruitiness, but not in a dank, hoppy way. Reminds me a lot of cider and apple juice. Nothing here is awful, but this isn't very great, and it doesn't taste much like an IPA. Malt lends some sweetness, but I don't get much else.

Goes down easy enough and doesn't taste awful. I had to grab a sixer of this because it just debuted in my area, but I won't be getting this again. Maybe it's good when fresher, but the hop flavor here is off and lacking.

02-28-2011 04:59:33 | More by musicforairports