21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden straw, slightly hazy. Soapy off-white head that sticks around once it's diminished to about half a finger. Good not great lacing.

S: Unique, floral hop aroma thats full of sweetgrass and wildflowers (lavender?) - almost detergent-y. Soft peach, and the grain is there as well. Intriguing but not my favorite...my brain is literally thinking 'soap' while I smell it.

T: This IPA has the most distinct peach-hop character of any beer I've had. There is a mild hop bitterness, some malt backbone, a floral/grassy component...grapefruit rind as well. The slight lingering bitterness is grapefruit.

MF: Not impressed by this either, this beer doesn't do anything to make to me think its not a light MF. It's a little drying. I think this beer would benefit from a little more carbonation, to move the flavors around and prick the tongue.

O: Not my favorite IPA. While it is well crafted, there are others I prefer.

Scotchboy, Mar 20, 2011

I poured this one from a 12 oz. can into a 12 oz. glass. The generous head sticks out of the top of the glass but does dissipate rather quickly. There is some moderate lacing on the side of the glass. The beer presents a few large bubbles. The color is orange with a slight haziness. It looks very much like real honey. Can I spread this beer on my toast? But wait. This IPA already has a heavy bread character. I am reminded of the fresh Country white bread that my grandmother used to make. The beer has slight buttery qualities. There is also a flavor of marmalade and oat. This IPA is really well balanced. The malts stand out with exemplary character and are backed by a good dash of both spicy and citric hops. This is a very unusual beverage that is much easier to drink than your average pine bush flavored IPA. I really enjoy this full bodied beer which dissolves slowly in my mouth and finished with a slightly delicious caramel and orange aftertaste. It taste like breakfast in my mouth. An excellent beer which may be appreciate by some IPA drinkers who are afraid of hops. My only criticism would be that the malts overpower the hop aromas (perhaps there isn't much there). A good solid beer.

BerkeleyBeerMan, Mar 19, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Big white fluffy 3 finger head, insane lacing that sticks and doesn't let go, orange/golden/copper.

S - Light hops, fruity, soft banana scent.

T - Delicious! Mango, pineapple, slightly bitter hops, "Smarties" candy flavor in the middle, and ends with soft/muddled warrior hop flavor.

M - Perfect carbonation, nice and smooth

D - Sessionable even though its 7% abv, refreshing, delicious!

Rickythejeweler, Mar 13, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

12oz can. Pours a slightly hazy amber color with an inch of frothy head. Lots of lacing. Smells citrusy and floral. Great hop aroma. Some tropical fruit. Flavor has more of that tropical fruit and citrus taste. Getting a good amount of pineapple and maybe mango. Good amount of hop flavor and bitterness. Pretty fruity IPA. Overall this is a pretty solid IPA and nicely drinkable.

PicoPapa, Mar 11, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a cloudy golden color with a white head of decent size that leaves a little lacing. Smells of citrus hops, also a little bit of earthy hops, no malt on the smell. The taste starts strongly with citrus hops, then transitions to a bit of sweet malt as it moves back the tongue, finishes with lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is a lighter than expected, not great for a winter IPA, but this would be very refreshing in the summer. Overall, it's a good beer, lack of body holds it back from winter enjoyment a bit, I'll probably buy a 6 pack of this in the summer.

gkunkle, Mar 11, 2011

A friend of mine turned me on to Back In Black so, I figured I'd give this one a try.

A-It pours a cloudy orangey-yellow with about a thumb width head that stays around for a while. I like the way this beer looks. Very pleasing to the eye.

S-A smell of cream hits the nose with first sniff. Deep almost smokey smell. Grassy notes come through after a deep sniff.

T-A combo of hops and malt. Very bitter almost sour taste to the brew. Citrus flavors come out in the after taste.

M-Very liquidy. Nothing too exciting.

D-Due to the overwhelming sourness of the brew I'm finding it very hard to drink.

I gotta say after trying Back In Black, which I found to be a pretty stellar brew, I'm a little disappointed in this one.

danmcg62, Mar 10, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden color, maybe a little on the lighter color side for an ipa. Nice white head that disipates slowly leaving a little lacing on the glass.

Aroma: This is where Im not sure I got the freshest of the fresh. I dont really get any of the hop aroma I expect to get from an ipa. I definately can smell a nice malt backbone.

Taste: The aroma did not lead me astray. Where are the hops? I must have a can that isnt very fresh. 7% abv is hidden well here in the malts though. The malts are tasty, just wish I was getting kicked in the face with a little more hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: A little on the sweet side for an ipa, this may be perfect if there was some hop balance, again, maybe the cans I have are just too old...

drinkability: Its not a drain pour. Im not running back to the fridge for another can though.

chriswilkes33, Mar 10, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

The beer poured a hazy orange with a nice white head that faded quickly.

Aroma is a nice, a little lighter than expected, but mostly citrus hop with some malted barley.

The taste is maltier than expected, with a nice dose of the citrus hop and a hint of floral hops.

The beer had a medium feel to it. It was smooth and easy to drink. I expected more of a dry and bitter aftertaste than I got. Overall, a good beer and one that I would pick up again.

PhillyStyle, Mar 09, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear, slightly hazy golden color with a big white head. Head slowly pillows itself away. Smells for citrus hops, maybe a touch of soap and/ or metallic flavors. Has a moderate bitterness in the taste, with big citrus (orange rind, lemon) that ultimately doesn't work. There seems to be major off flavors, soapiness, but there is also a metallic flavor, and even bandaid. Actually, drain pour for me and my hop loving buddy. The mouthfeel is medium high carbonation and the appropriate body. Ugh. It tastes gross, so, sorry...

seeswo, Mar 06, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

21st Amendment IPA
12 oz can
Jet ink on the bottom of the can - 0144 0638
Served in an Ommegang Witte glass

Pours a hazy orange color with a decent head on top. Some frothy trails of sticky lace cling to the glassware.

Citrus whiffs in the nose with some sweet notes. I also get some old stale notes.

Caramel malt backbone with major citrus fruit. Flavors of grapefruit and lime. The finish is almost tangy and tart. Biting hop presence on the finish, but I'm getting some 'off' flavors. I'm starting to wonder if this beer is not the freshest sample. I paid $10 for this 6 pack, so I'll make it work. I'll have to try this beer again.

Hibernator, Mar 06, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to woodychandler for the CAN!

Pours a pale orange/yellow, with a bit of haze and a bright white head of about a finger that laces nicely.

Aroma is nice and woodsy with some citrus touches and a bit of sweetness.

Nice bitter up front, predominantly citrus hops, grapefruit and orange, with some light malt sweetness and breadiness.

Feel is slightly creamy, sits light, and isn't too crisp. Carbonation is good.

Drinkability is good. Solid IPA, what's not to like?

EgadBananas, Mar 03, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Let's just get this out of the way--I tend to like my IPA's dry and bitter. This one's got plenty of malt, nice and caramelly, but there's a great bitterness. Too many IPA's rely solely on heavy hop flavor additions, and trust me, they're here, but don't have enough bite. It's got bite, plus it's pretty, with amazing clarity and lacing. Nice orange rind notes coming from the hops, with some caramelly malt. A good drinking IPA that stands out in such an overflooded style.

Andrewtherooster, Mar 02, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Can from BevMo

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of citrus hops with some malt getting through

T - Follows the nose with the citrus hops upfront then some malt seaking in the finish

M - This beer has a medium body with higher carbonation to it

D - I am really liking this IPA with a good balanced taste this is very easy to drink and the fact that its in a can makes it possible to enjoy in the outdoors worth finding to try sometime

armock, Feb 28, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -28%

Canned 11/20/10 if my math is right, reviewed 2/27/11.

Pours a hazy but see-through-able golden, makes some head and leaves lacing.

Once the can is opened, it smells like decent grassy hops. But once poured in the glass, I can't smell anything but some faint apple-like fruit flavors.

Taste is full of fruitiness, but not in a dank, hoppy way. Reminds me a lot of cider and apple juice. Nothing here is awful, but this isn't very great, and it doesn't taste much like an IPA. Malt lends some sweetness, but I don't get much else.

Goes down easy enough and doesn't taste awful. I had to grab a sixer of this because it just debuted in my area, but I won't be getting this again. Maybe it's good when fresher, but the hop flavor here is off and lacking.

musicforairports, Feb 28, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

From notes:

Received as an extra in a past trade with ipa247. Thanks again Jeff!

Pours a light, slightly hazy golden yellowish orange color with a frothy two finger pillowy white head that has very good retention, only slowly fadin into a thin lasting ring. Sporadic chunks of lacing left behind.

Earthy hop aroma that is resinous and floral. Oily wiu hints online needle and subtle fruit notes. I'm also picking up some grassy straw notes and some pale malt.

Medium bodied with a blast of earthy bitter hops up fontthat linger throughout into a sweet yet dry finish. The hops are really fresh and give off an earthy piney flavor but there is also some faint citrus character. Thisnis quickly countered by a decent malt backbone which is a touch stronger than I prefer but doesn't take awayfrom the hops too much. Hints of biscuit and toast as well as a slightly earthy grass/straw flavor that was suggested in the nose. The bitterness from the hops are the dominant flavor but it's still well balanced and decetly quaffable.

corby112, Feb 25, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Bought and consumed on 2/23/11
Served from a Can into a Pilsener glass.

Appearance: Poured from a can into a pilsener glass. A nice, light to almost moderate amber color with very little head. The head that is produced does stick around for a decent amount of time but eventually fades away to nothing but a slight rim. Very nice lacing. Angelic almost.

Smell: Very, very fruity. The hops smacks you right in the face and that is almost all I get from the smell. Very little malt and no alcohol at all.

Taste: For being 7.0% I get no alcohol what so ever in this beer. The slightest sweetness of malt glazes your tongue at first sip and prepares it for the 70 IBU blast of hops you are about to receive. I absolutely love it.

Mouthfeel: Not full, not watery, in between. That is about all I can say for it. Carbonation is spot on. I have no complaints.

Drinkability: I got a six pack for 8.25. I will definitely finish the whole thing tonight...and that is on top of the other beers I have been consuming this evening.

I definitely recommend this beer to anyone who is a fan of everything that isnt Coors, Miller, or Budweiser. If you love really hoppy beers, this is for you! Try it out!

Brew Free! or Die Tryin'!

PapillonJohn, Feb 23, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +7%

From a can into a pint glass

Appearance: golden yellow/ straw color with a 1+ finger head that will not go away, has great lacing

Smell: citrusy with what i think my be cascade hops

taste: at the begining it has an orange taste that is followed quickly by some hops. After that the sweet malts come through and a bitterness stays on the back of your tongue for awhile

mouthfeel: not dry but overly sweet either, it is about what you would expect out of an IPA

Drinkability: I could drink many of these in a row and love them all the same

imwalle, Feb 20, 2011

good ipa thats in a can.
really straight forward west coaster pours off opaque golden orange with a one finger head - citrus/pine hop nose,
nice balanced taste with a clean, grapefruit finish. yeah thats pretty much it - and its in a can! giggity giigity goo

benclimbs, Feb 18, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -39.6%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Out of the can she pours a simple gold on to a golden orange clear body. There is some strange haze just below the head of this beer that looks like a yeast cloud of some sort. Head is a solid three to four fingers which has much staying power, and has a somewhat soap quality. Minimal carbonation coming from the bottom. Some minimal stickyness on the lacing.

Bouquet is really closed. Seriously I am getting next to nothing off this, where is the smell on this beer??? Isn't this suppose to have SOMETHING on it??? Completely closed. Only after a taste and swallow reexamining the bouquet there is maybe some weak hop on the nose but really hard to notice.

Taste is a very wet and mild hop bitter. Missing bread and grain character which I really like with no sense of density at all. Where is the citrus fruit, pine, resin, bread, malt... ANYTHING .... Very faint bread chew on the swallow but incredibly weak. Simple aromatic bitter hop but really a dud.

Wow this was not fun, even at 7 ABV this feels incredibly weak, muted, and watery. I don't think I'll ever have this again.

smakawhat, Feb 18, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -34.5%

A -A strawish colour but not quite as pale, maybe a hint of aamber in there, the head was gone in three minutes and the lack of lacing was a little surprising.

S - Grapefruit and hops. That's it.

T - The hops are there but not particularly strong, the grapfruit flavour is mild and I felt that there was no depth or balance to this crude brew.

M - Thin, thin, thin. How is that even possible with 7%?

D - Slips down easy because it's so thin and doesn't offer the big flavours that should be expected from a beer with a high ABV like this one. Drinkable in the same way that a Bud Light is, although obviously it's far better than that, even though it's not a good example of a west coast IPA.

hophopandaway, Feb 17, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -46.1%

Pours dark golden with 1+ finger fluffy white head. No carbonation rising. Lots of floaters suspended in the beer....somewhat dubious looking.

Aroma of grapefruit, malt. Some other background aromas that I can't quite place.

Taste is grapefruit, floral, light malts. There's a citrus gone bad taste to this beer. Not good.

Mouthfeel is medium light, cleansing and somewhat sticky.

Overall, not drinkable. So many good IPA's out there that this one is not worth the effort.

atigerlife, Feb 16, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a light orange/yellow with a nice white head out of the can. Solid lacing and retention. Citrus aroma for the most part. Grapefruit, lemon and orange zest and a hint of grapes as well. Sweet ruby grapefruit flavor up front. Nice mellow citrus hops (lemon, orange) as this one is only 70 IBU's. Get a hint of grape juice as well. Good malt backbone, sweet bread and caramel and a hint of pine at the finish. Creamy mouthfeel. Added points for the awesome drinkability out of the can.

uustal, Feb 16, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -43%

Wow, I'll bet I got a bum can. I had previously tried this brewery's watermelon brew and found it to be quite good. This tastes like it has been sitting is a bad place for too long.

I doubt that the funkiness is the retailer's fault - they are a pretty busy place. It has a sour taste that I don't think it is supposed to have. I will give it a second chance, some day, just not too soon.

schoolboy, Feb 12, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer four in my "twelve new IPAs" adventure, this is the first brew I've ever had from 21st Amendment. This was added to my twelve on whim, without know much about it (I liked the looks of the can), so I'm going at this with no preconceived notions (outside of the info on the can itself).

A - Slight hazy orange, and a little paler than many IPAs I've encountered. Finger-thick white head gives way to thin and sticky lacing.

S - Sweetish orange zest mixed with earthy hops makes for a very pleasing scent. The nose is the best part of this beer.

T - The hops in the smell don't come through as strongly in the taste. There's a decent amount of orange, followed by slightly hops and rounded off with mildly-caramelly sweet malts. The finish leaves some lingering bitterness in the back of the throat

M - On the thin side with prickly carbonation.

D - That's to the rather passive flavor profile, and thinnish mouthfeel, this beer goes down easily. The 7% ABV could certainly sneak up on the unaware, as this doesn't drink like big beer.

I'm happy to have tried Brew Free or Die IPA, but it's not something I'd go out of my to obtain again. However, if 21st Amendment were distributed in my area, and the price was right, I could see this being a semi-regular pick up.

eternaljester81, Feb 11, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a bright yellow/golden color with one finger of off white fluffy head and high carbonation evident. Head lasts for two to three minutes and leaves some lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of grapefruit, citrus hops, apricots, bready malts, like musty earthy notes.

t - Tastes of bitter citrus hops, lemon, grapefruit, light pine hops, honey, and light bready malts. Some bitterness up front but not a crazy amount. Pretty nice taste.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Little bit thick for an IPA, but good.

d - A pretty nice IPA. Had a good mouthfeel and some nice citrus hops in the taste. Would certainly have again.

mdfb79, Feb 09, 2011