21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Can from BevMo

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of citrus hops with some malt getting through

T - Follows the nose with the citrus hops upfront then some malt seaking in the finish

M - This beer has a medium body with higher carbonation to it

D - I am really liking this IPA with a good balanced taste this is very easy to drink and the fact that its in a can makes it possible to enjoy in the outdoors worth finding to try sometime

2.79/5  rDev -27.7%

Canned 11/20/10 if my math is right, reviewed 2/27/11.

Pours a hazy but see-through-able golden, makes some head and leaves lacing.

Once the can is opened, it smells like decent grassy hops. But once poured in the glass, I can't smell anything but some faint apple-like fruit flavors.

Taste is full of fruitiness, but not in a dank, hoppy way. Reminds me a lot of cider and apple juice. Nothing here is awful, but this isn't very great, and it doesn't taste much like an IPA. Malt lends some sweetness, but I don't get much else.

Goes down easy enough and doesn't taste awful. I had to grab a sixer of this because it just debuted in my area, but I won't be getting this again. Maybe it's good when fresher, but the hop flavor here is off and lacking.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

From notes:

Received as an extra in a past trade with ipa247. Thanks again Jeff!

Pours a light, slightly hazy golden yellowish orange color with a frothy two finger pillowy white head that has very good retention, only slowly fadin into a thin lasting ring. Sporadic chunks of lacing left behind.

Earthy hop aroma that is resinous and floral. Oily wiu hints online needle and subtle fruit notes. I'm also picking up some grassy straw notes and some pale malt.

Medium bodied with a blast of earthy bitter hops up fontthat linger throughout into a sweet yet dry finish. The hops are really fresh and give off an earthy piney flavor but there is also some faint citrus character. Thisnis quickly countered by a decent malt backbone which is a touch stronger than I prefer but doesn't take awayfrom the hops too much. Hints of biscuit and toast as well as a slightly earthy grass/straw flavor that was suggested in the nose. The bitterness from the hops are the dominant flavor but it's still well balanced and decetly quaffable.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Bought and consumed on 2/23/11
Served from a Can into a Pilsener glass.

Appearance: Poured from a can into a pilsener glass. A nice, light to almost moderate amber color with very little head. The head that is produced does stick around for a decent amount of time but eventually fades away to nothing but a slight rim. Very nice lacing. Angelic almost.

Smell: Very, very fruity. The hops smacks you right in the face and that is almost all I get from the smell. Very little malt and no alcohol at all.

Taste: For being 7.0% I get no alcohol what so ever in this beer. The slightest sweetness of malt glazes your tongue at first sip and prepares it for the 70 IBU blast of hops you are about to receive. I absolutely love it.

Mouthfeel: Not full, not watery, in between. That is about all I can say for it. Carbonation is spot on. I have no complaints.

Drinkability: I got a six pack for 8.25. I will definitely finish the whole thing tonight...and that is on top of the other beers I have been consuming this evening.

I definitely recommend this beer to anyone who is a fan of everything that isnt Coors, Miller, or Budweiser. If you love really hoppy beers, this is for you! Try it out!

Brew Free! or Die Tryin'!

4.13/5  rDev +7%

From a can into a pint glass

Appearance: golden yellow/ straw color with a 1+ finger head that will not go away, has great lacing

Smell: citrusy with what i think my be cascade hops

taste: at the begining it has an orange taste that is followed quickly by some hops. After that the sweet malts come through and a bitterness stays on the back of your tongue for awhile

mouthfeel: not dry but overly sweet either, it is about what you would expect out of an IPA

Drinkability: I could drink many of these in a row and love them all the same

good ipa thats in a can.
really straight forward west coaster pours off opaque golden orange with a one finger head - citrus/pine hop nose,
nice balanced taste with a clean, grapefruit finish. yeah thats pretty much it - and its in a can! giggity giigity goo

2.32/5  rDev -39.9%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Out of the can she pours a simple gold on to a golden orange clear body. There is some strange haze just below the head of this beer that looks like a yeast cloud of some sort. Head is a solid three to four fingers which has much staying power, and has a somewhat soap quality. Minimal carbonation coming from the bottom. Some minimal stickyness on the lacing.

Bouquet is really closed. Seriously I am getting next to nothing off this, where is the smell on this beer??? Isn't this suppose to have SOMETHING on it??? Completely closed. Only after a taste and swallow reexamining the bouquet there is maybe some weak hop on the nose but really hard to notice.

Taste is a very wet and mild hop bitter. Missing bread and grain character which I really like with no sense of density at all. Where is the citrus fruit, pine, resin, bread, malt... ANYTHING .... Very faint bread chew on the swallow but incredibly weak. Simple aromatic bitter hop but really a dud.

Wow this was not fun, even at 7 ABV this feels incredibly weak, muted, and watery. I don't think I'll ever have this again.

2.56/5  rDev -33.7%

A -A strawish colour but not quite as pale, maybe a hint of aamber in there, the head was gone in three minutes and the lack of lacing was a little surprising.

S - Grapefruit and hops. That's it.

T - The hops are there but not particularly strong, the grapfruit flavour is mild and I felt that there was no depth or balance to this crude brew.

M - Thin, thin, thin. How is that even possible with 7%?

D - Slips down easy because it's so thin and doesn't offer the big flavours that should be expected from a beer with a high ABV like this one. Drinkable in the same way that a Bud Light is, although obviously it's far better than that, even though it's not a good example of a west coast IPA.

2.19/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours dark golden with 1+ finger fluffy white head. No carbonation rising. Lots of floaters suspended in the beer....somewhat dubious looking.

Aroma of grapefruit, malt. Some other background aromas that I can't quite place.

Taste is grapefruit, floral, light malts. There's a citrus gone bad taste to this beer. Not good.

Mouthfeel is medium light, cleansing and somewhat sticky.

Overall, not drinkable. So many good IPA's out there that this one is not worth the effort.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a light orange/yellow with a nice white head out of the can. Solid lacing and retention. Citrus aroma for the most part. Grapefruit, lemon and orange zest and a hint of grapes as well. Sweet ruby grapefruit flavor up front. Nice mellow citrus hops (lemon, orange) as this one is only 70 IBU's. Get a hint of grape juice as well. Good malt backbone, sweet bread and caramel and a hint of pine at the finish. Creamy mouthfeel. Added points for the awesome drinkability out of the can.

2.24/5  rDev -42%

Wow, I'll bet I got a bum can. I had previously tried this brewery's watermelon brew and found it to be quite good. This tastes like it has been sitting is a bad place for too long.

I doubt that the funkiness is the retailer's fault - they are a pretty busy place. It has a sour taste that I don't think it is supposed to have. I will give it a second chance, some day, just not too soon.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer four in my "twelve new IPAs" adventure, this is the first brew I've ever had from 21st Amendment. This was added to my twelve on whim, without know much about it (I liked the looks of the can), so I'm going at this with no preconceived notions (outside of the info on the can itself).

A - Slight hazy orange, and a little paler than many IPAs I've encountered. Finger-thick white head gives way to thin and sticky lacing.

S - Sweetish orange zest mixed with earthy hops makes for a very pleasing scent. The nose is the best part of this beer.

T - The hops in the smell don't come through as strongly in the taste. There's a decent amount of orange, followed by slightly hops and rounded off with mildly-caramelly sweet malts. The finish leaves some lingering bitterness in the back of the throat

M - On the thin side with prickly carbonation.

D - That's to the rather passive flavor profile, and thinnish mouthfeel, this beer goes down easily. The 7% ABV could certainly sneak up on the unaware, as this doesn't drink like big beer.

I'm happy to have tried Brew Free or Die IPA, but it's not something I'd go out of my to obtain again. However, if 21st Amendment were distributed in my area, and the price was right, I could see this being a semi-regular pick up.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a bright yellow/golden color with one finger of off white fluffy head and high carbonation evident. Head lasts for two to three minutes and leaves some lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of grapefruit, citrus hops, apricots, bready malts, like musty earthy notes.

t - Tastes of bitter citrus hops, lemon, grapefruit, light pine hops, honey, and light bready malts. Some bitterness up front but not a crazy amount. Pretty nice taste.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Little bit thick for an IPA, but good.

d - A pretty nice IPA. Had a good mouthfeel and some nice citrus hops in the taste. Would certainly have again.

2.86/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured into a snifter on 2/3/11

Golden-tangerine in color with some noticeable cloudiness. Pours one finger of fluffy white foam that thins slowly. Decent retention & a pretty good amount of lace.

The hop aroma is mostly a dense, over-ripe citric assembly: hints of grapefruit rind, lemon zest & orange pith & a slight notion of tangerine. Overtones of pine. Balance is edging toward maltiness: sugar cookie, caramel & bread. A little doughy as it warms up.

The hop bill tastes similarly lackluster compared to the aroma. Dense citric exhibiting pithy, peely notes seem dull; lacking a vibrant flavor. A modest piney kick moves in mid-swallow to help out. Toasted bread rounds it out. Interestingly, the malt is far more in check here than the nose.

Medium bodied with a resiny, coating feel underscored by a mild grittiness. Carbonation is a little north of average but not too distracting (the flavors take care of that). Astringent finish.

Somewhat disheveled overall, drinkability suffers. I suppose it could work in a pinch.

Pours out burnt orange with an inch of egg colored head. The lacing doesn't last, but it starts out nice.
The smell is grapefruit heavy with some bread and molassass.
The taste follows the smell, its a little on the sweet side, but certainly not a bad IPA. It has a moderate to light body, a little to fizzy on the carbonation, with a decently dry finish.
Not the best but a good starter into the style for sure.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Review is from notes

A: Apricot, cloudy head sticks around a while

S: Apricot hops, malt

T: Sweet bitter, a little sour as well

M: Medium carbonation - might be a little high here

D: Probably would go for another one of these. Was a good IPA. Not sure it's in my top tier though.

2.74/5  rDev -29%

A - Big foamy head, clear and straw colored beverage. Feels like I've seen that somewhere before...

S -Mostly bitter with a grassy hop presence that finishes in the nose as a citrusy creature

T - This one begins sour, like lemon sour for example with a slightly metallic thing going on.

M - A little oily and medium carbonated.

Not the most impressive thing I've had. I've seen/tasted worse, but this one isn't the best IPA I've had.

4.13/5  rDev +7%

My first micro from a can and I'm not sure that I like this idea of canned micro's.

Pours from the can a deeper golden straw color and is lightly carbonated under a rather thick dense foamy head. I wonder if they foaminess isn't a result of the can tab that hangs down.
Nice lacing in any event.

Pleasing hop aroma of citrus and a pronounced aroma of pineapple. A solid malt aroma is picked up well.

Taste is of solid sweet caramel malts with a hop character that is quite vague. Bitter yes but flavor wise I would say they fall in the earthy catagory. At finish there is a bready yeastiness. A dry tasting beer with a bitter aftertaste and a medium body.

A solid beer but in my opinion needs some work in the hop flavor. Beer is better when there is a good hop flavor like citrus or florals then just used for the bittering aspect.

At least, that's what i think.

Pours a hazy bright orange with a nice fluffy sticky white head. Aroma is very piney, sappy, sticky resinous dank hops, with lots of citrus oil and grapefruit- modest malt backbone. Flavor is orange zest, pine resin and tar, white pine sap, mint and lots of fresh citrus fruits- decent malt backbone- lightly sweet, and a resinous bitter finish.

3.66/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Pours a clear orange color with a frothy one finger head. Quickly reduces to a small layer of foam on top. Nice lacing.

S: Citrusy with some light hops. Slight metallic odor from the can as well.

T: On the sweeter side. There is a slight hop bite at first, some citrus and then it sweetens with the malts.

M/D: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Overall its solid, as I drink more the metallic odor intensifies and is off putting. The taste is good and it goes down easy.

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

My review of the beer in a can:

I thought this was an imperial India Pale Ale. At 7% alcohol by volume this is close. I've had this once before but not when I've been in a real critical role. This is actually a very good strongish IPA. The only thing is that the aroma is not as good as I expected. Color is very good gold but a little cloudy. Flavor is excellent. Mouthfeel is also excellent and drinkability is outstanding. I bought a sixpack of this and am glad to have five more.

---

I also enjoy this on draft and agree that it teeters somewhat between a single and double IPA. Very great hop aroma on the draft version. Not sure what I was talking about in my review above. I think the aroma stands out with this beer and the flavor is classic IPA.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

Grabbed a 6 pack in Minnesota... Served in a pint glass...

Upon cracking the can, I'm excited-- the aroma is big. Very big. Nice hop notes waft up as I pour.

The beer is light orangey copper. The 2 finger head is thick and foamy... Retention is average. The lacing is comprised of giant chunks. Not bad looking.

The smell has a lot more malts than I initially thought-- but the hops are still pretty big too! Lots of tangerine, orange, grapefruit, and pine. The taste has a deep rich malt, lots of caramel sweetness. The hops are the same as I expected-- oranges, grapefruit and tangerines. The pine comes in on the finish-- but where is the bitterness?

The body is well-carbonated, but very full none-the-less.

Overall, the beer is decent. It is tasty enough to enjoy, although I feel it would really be a better beer if the malt bill was lighter. It would let the hops shine brighter. As it stands, the beer is good, but I think it could be really great if the malts and hops weren't fighting each other quite as much...

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy, deep golden color with a big meringue-like head of about two fingers.

Aromas of citrusy hops, lemon, grapefruit, lemon zest, and a little chalkiness.

First sip is of lemon zest, orange marmalade. A honey sweetness. Finish is rather short, but bitter.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, chewy malt, not quite puckering bitterness.

Very drinkable American IPA. Nothing too aggressive or over the top. Actually, quite easy to drink, without much worry of palate fatigue.

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer is amber and hazy with a big nice off white head of small and medium bubbles. Lacing on the glass with low carbonation.

Beer is mildly hoppy in the nose, pine I suppose but it's pretty low key for an IPA.

Beer is medium in bodied and pretty earthy on the palate, It's not bad at all, the hop profile is different, not what I expected. It has a late sweetness and only mildly bitter. The overall beer is a little disappointing. I don't know how old this can is but I'd have it again if it were on tap.

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

White fluffy head and a cloudy yellow body. The head has disapated from it's fluff to a more relaxed film.

Sweet smell of pine, honey, malt and citrus hops. This smells like it's going to have the bitterness I'm looking for!

Bitterness, bitterness, bitterness. Good, good, good. Lemon peel, honey, pine and some malt. I like this a lot. Well balanced with the bitterness. No sign of a booze taste which is good.

Smooth, carbonation is low and easy going down. Light body. Slight hint of mouth dryness.

I like this, so drink ability is good. Easy drinker and the ABV is right where it should be at a seven percent.

I'm torn... The taste is a little above good but not close enough to almost perfection to give it a 4.5. I'm going to have to give it a four. But this is a worthy IPA for sure.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery