21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Amber body. Huge gushing white head leaves a ton of lacing.

S: Citrus hops, a bit of caramel.

T: Distractingly soapy. Puckering grapefruit-like bitterness in the finish. Malt isn't doing much. Aftertaste is almost cheeselike.

M: Medium to heavy, not sticky like other IPAs.

D: I like hops as much as the next guy, and this is something I've been looking forward to trying for a while. I think I got a bad batch, though. I'd like to try this again under more auspicious circumstances.

BarrelO, Dec 16, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a specialty pint glass...eh....hard to describe

A- This has the color one would expect of this style. A nice deep gold. There was very little head to speak of, but of course I did pour it very slowly.

S- For a solid IPA, one wishes for much more of a glorious hop aroma. Here it is present,but not nearly to the point that I hope for. Understand though, that I am not an IPA nut like many are, so if I plan to drink one, it had better be BIG!

T: I like the malt flavor here. A bit bolder than your average IPA. Also some good bitterness, but not a ton of citrus or anytihng to deduct from it. Clearly a Westcoast IPA. (Nothing wrong with that; I just think they both have traits to the region)

M- Lacking in some ways. I mean you don't want it to be too much on the tongue, but a bit thin for my taste. Carbonated well though. That is one thing this brewery always nails!

D- I gotta go low here. 21st makes some amazing beer, but not so much on this one. There are just SO MANY great IPA's out there, this one just doesn't stack up quiet as high. That said...I'm going to go pour another. HAHA!

JK4Stout, Dec 13, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Huge, rocky head the color of peach that lingers for some time. A little on the light side for an IPA.

Smell: Very fruity, lots of grapefruit. I can barely smell the hops, or the malt. Smells like a can of grapefruit juice.

Taste: Tastes like a can of grapefruit juice too. Where are the hops, where is the "malt backbone" as quoted on the can.

Mouthfeel: Feels a little on the light side, very light with lots of carbonation. Would like to feel more of a silky smooth and heavy feeling.

Drinkability: I just returned from Total Wine with my pick any six of random IPA's that I had not tried yet. I was very happy to finally find an IPA that came in a can. I do a lot of boating in the summer and glass and boats don't mix. That being said, I had high hopes for this beer, but it comes up a little short on my search for a canned IPA. It is very light and fruity, which will be appreciated in the summer months. Will I buy again? Oh yes! Very drinkable, just a little light for a "post Oktoberfest" and now winter palate.

Serving type: can

Hatchman, Dec 11, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

This San Francisco canned brew opens with a pop followed by a heaving froth poured into the glass. There is a slow settling that leaves a sticky trail of splotchy lacing. The color is a moderate shade of copper; the body is somewhat translucent and void of carbonation bubbles.

There is an initial nose of orange and pine needle; the palate perceives a mild sensation of wet grass followed by a subtly sweet balance of hop and malt. Brew Free or Die seems to be more about pleasant aromas lingering on the nose than the palate - despite being brewed with six hops. However, it does make for an acceptable quaff to compliment a cheese platter.

jjboesen, Dec 06, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -11.1%

smell is sour floral hops.

not much head - nice hazy orangish hue.

massively bitter IPA. I'm kinda digging the boundries they're pushing here, and the abv is nicely conceiled. I like this. Not my fave IPA by any means, but just getting the ABV at this smoothness, and in a can no less, makes this kind of nostalgic.

taste is all lemon and super bitter floral hoppiness. Wheatgrass and green onion pepperyness. THis definately wouldn't be for everyone, but I dig it.

decent overall, but with west coast ipa from terminal brewery just minutes away, and for less money(2$ pints at certain times), why bother again. I'm going to take this opportunity to plug West COast IPA at terminal in chatt, tn. one more time - because it's just flat out exceptional compared to something like this. I'd like to have this on tap to see if it does anything for the frizzy mouthfeel of this - which I'm not cray about, but I guess it can be expected in a can.

Lemon, alcohol, and it's good. THis gets pts for originality for it's taste and for it's presentation, but that doesn't mean it's great.

witster18, Dec 04, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A: A slightly cloudy sandish gold color with a superior head.
S: Nice strong floral bitter hop aroma with some slight sweetness from the malt.
T: Bitter first sip that is followed by a mango like citrus flavor that really melds well with the bitterness. Finishes very sweet and bready from the malt. Very well balanced group of flavors.
D/M: Crisp and well carbonated. not too strong. Great IPA but doesnt overpower and ruin your palate.

pzrhsau, Dec 02, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

So glad when this beer finally came to my neck of the woods. Bought the first 6pk i found. Came in a unique box.

Poured a yellow-orange color with plenty of sudsy type bright white head that left plenty of lacing along the side of the glass, and slowly died down with each sip. Smell was piney hops that left a slim citrus. Not too overpowring but much better than your avg ipa. Taste was delicious, but the mouthfeel was a little watery i thought. But I kept drinking it and enjoyed every sip.

genog, Dec 02, 2010

Quite a weird IPA. Didn't really see the color since I didn't have glassware and drank it from the can, but I will agree with everyone on the color and head. Smells of nice piney hops and a great amount of sweet malt. Taste was hop forward at first with a bitter finish, then halfway through the can it tasted more grapefruit and citrus hops, then a bitter finish. Was a pretty strong IPA from a can and it seemed more bitter than my typical offering of "Dales pale ale"

This may be my new summer IPA except the bitterness is kind of overbearing, so maybe a few. A very good IPA with good balance but not my favorite.

DrDemento456, Nov 29, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Poured from the can into a Sam Smith's nonic-style pint glass. Body is slightly hazed, golden-honey in color with a 2-finger ecru-colored head. Good head retention, fading to loads of lace.

S: First impression: pineapple juice. The word "juicy" keeps popping into my head. Touch of apricot is present too.

T: Juice again - pineapple juice, some tropical fruit and apricots again. Sweet rather than bitter. Overall impression is that it's juice-like. Lingering pineapple and grapefruit juice.

S: Low carbonation, body is lighter side of medium.

D: OK. More like a juice than a beer, to be honest. Interesting, but not what I'm looking for in an American IPA.

Kendo, Nov 28, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass.

I picked up a sixer of this beer, and although it doesn't seem right to pour a can of beer into a glass, I did for one - this review. The rest I'm guzzling straight from the can.. I may even shot-gun one or two. Pours a hazed light gold color, A patchy head soon turns into a thin coat that sticks around the glass. Smell is a good balance of biscuity malts and herbal hops. The taste is rather bitter, a surprising amount of good old green hops with some lemony twang at the end. Balanced more in the way of hops, but the malt supports as well as advertised. Finishes dry and pithy, and sweet. A few of these drink just fine.

sixerofelixir, Nov 26, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +1%

A: Beer pours a clear type of orange color, leaves some lacing around the glass from bit of white head.

S: smell is citrusy with some light hops and malts

T: Taste is oranges and lemons, somewhat like smell

M: very soothing beer, easy to drink

D:For an ipa that comes to the can I definitely enjoy it. Very calm relaxing type of brew, will drink again for sure

Serving type: can

thedoubler55, Nov 22, 2010
1.98/5  rDev -48.7%

Clear golden amber in color. Piney grapefruit hop aromas, but rather angular and out of balance. This was an extraordinarily bitter IPA, with faint pine and grapefruit flavors overwhelmed by an unpleasant taste of yellow onions. I thought the first can in the six pack may have been spoiled, but the taste was consistent through the six pack. Medium to light body, with light carbonation.

malloyca, Nov 20, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Brew Free or Die Can.

A - Nice big head is chunky but does drop fairly fast. Exceptionally clear body is a nice golden-amber.

S - Sweet nose up front back up by some piney hops, smells a bit faint though.

T - Citrus sweetness up front, tangerine come to mind. Ends with more west coast pine and tropical fruit flavors. Well balanced and a nice interpretaion of the style. Not too huge, a drinkable IPA.

M/D - Sticky body contrasts a bit to the citrus and thin mouthfeel. Overall very drinkable considering the ABV, flavor is also not over the top.

magnj, Nov 20, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour a nice light, clear amber color. With a large white head which takes a long time to dissipate.

Some nice citrus aromas. As it warmed I started to get piny smells.

The beer initially is flavorful, but on continued sips felt really thin. Lots of citrus and piney hop flavors. Very little carbonation in solution, so this didn't help the mouth feel. Don't know if it just wasn't cold enough or something else is going on. Others have commented on detecting a slight malty, biscuity flavor. I don't get this, but I might just be losing it in all the hop flavors.

Overall a drinkable IPA, though could perhaps use a little more malt body as I feel it is a bit dry (not commonly a problem with IPAs!)

Could certainly put back a few of these, which is dangerous at 7%.

thekoz, Nov 19, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +1%

12 oz can courtesy of dashirey, thanks Dain! Pours a brazen gold color with a fluffy off-white head. Mild haze and shows some very good lacing.

Nose is pretty bright, citric and piney hops. Malts are pretty biscuity and a bit toasty. Not bad, but has a touch of onion-y hops that I did not like in heavier doses with Gubna.

Taste is very lightly toasted malts with a lively, zesty tangerine hoppiness. Has the onion aspect, but it is pretty light...Summit hops, right? I like the light malt presence and higher carbonation. A little bit of fruit comes out, not sure if it is yeast oriented or from the hops. Pretty tasty beverage, has a good range of flavoring to bittering hops.

twiggamortis420, Nov 19, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +1%

Just picked up a six pack of this. I'm loving the packaging, by the way. I haven't had a can of craft beer since I was a newbsauce (well, more of a newbsauce than I am right now) when I had a few of Maui Brewing Co's offerings. My other 21st Amendment brew was on tap. Well, lets get this open and see how good this CAN be...

(Sorry, had to do the obligatory can joke as part of this review)

12 oz can poured into a pint glass.

Look: ok, so this is either dramatically overcarbed or this case got jostled somewhere along the way because the beer starts billowing out as soon as its open and I have to give it an aggressive pour to make sure I don't lose any beer. As such, it leaves a huge amount of head that right now is starting to diminish. The head is pillowy and egg shell white. Its leaving a huge amount of lacing behind in big sheets. There's a thin layer retaining well floating on top of the beer and it doesn't seem like its going away any time soon. Even now, when I'm at the halfway point there's still a thin layer of foam at the top and there are still huge patches of lace. One of the more lacier (can you do a superlative of lace? Well, I just did) beers I've had.

The beer itself is clear and light amber. There's some carbonation visible but not as much as I'd expect given my experience opening the can. It looks like some sediment is floating towards the bottom but this looks incidental and not intended. Still, a good looking beer. I'm not gonna knock the appearance score because of the overcarbonation unless the other five cans have the same problem.

Smell: a lot of piney, resinous hops hit the nose hard. There are also some citrus hops smelling like grapefruit and there's a little fruitiness in there too. I'm trying to find the malt but I just can't do it. There's no mistaking this is a West Coast IPA from the smell. Hopefully the taste follows suit...

Taste: my thought is that its very interesting on the first sip. Time to take another and to look for some specific flavors. Its a little sweet in the front, a little fruity as well. Its definitely sweeter than the nose would've led me to believe it'd be. Very malty. The hops come into play in the finish in a huge way. Floral, herbal hop bitterness hits the mouth pretty powerfully. Very delicious.

Feel: its a bit thin in body. I'm surprised seeing the other reviews where people are listing this beer as medium bodied. There's not that much carbonation so it isn't all that crisp. Its very smooth though. Its very bitter in the finish and my mouth tastes this a little bit more bitter than some beers with higher IBUs, like Ruination IPA (for reference). There's no alcohol bite though and this beer hides the 7% very well. Nonetheless, the thin body kind of hurts this score.

Drink: for a 7% bitter as hell IPA, I think this is pretty drinkable. I've even let it warm up a little bit and the alcohol is still hidden so its certainly a highly drinkable brew.

Overall, I'm happy with this one. I'm glad that beer can be good in a can after all. I'm wondering why more craft brewers do not release beer in cans. After all, this beer was only $8 for a six pack whereas a six pack of bottles in my area can run around $12. Being able to sell good beer for cheaper can only be a good thing. Do yourself a favor and pick this one up. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Nov 10, 2010

A: burnt orange/amber
S. grapefruitish aroma / strong malt nose
T: very good malt flavor, strong but not over kill on the hops. Great Balance.
M: mouth feel is good and silky.
D: great drinkability - had this with friends who aren't such IPA lovers and they loved this one. It is a good entry IPA. I would stock this at home all the time.

jchow79, Nov 10, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +7%

A: great color, marmalade orange, great lacing, nice velvety head
S: grapefruit, mild with good, solid malt backbone - biscuity, juicy
T: great balance between malt and hops - juicy malt, good hops, well-balanced for an American IPA
M: very good
D: very good, especially since well-balanced IPA

wisrarebeer, Nov 09, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

A slightly hazy, light yellowish-amber color with a solid fuzzy white head and great lacing. The aroma gives of definitive citrus hop bite, lemony with a slight malt blend that brings a sulfur vinegar idea. Interesting and something to get the taste buds going a bit but perhaps a little odd. The flavor follows suit with vinegary lemon hops. This strikes me as being unbalanced with grassy-citrus hops that essentially boils down to a sweet tart malt in a medium bodied brew with a somewhat lighter feel. It's pretty drinkable but a bit too sharp for me to overindulge if I have a choice. I also pick up some can flavor here so overall I'm disappointed though it seems to have some good quality characteristics.

Durge, Nov 09, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

wow>>>everything but the taste is exceptional
this beer is light copper in color>>>with a rich frothy head.
citrus, citrus, citrus, a bouquet of citrus hops
this beer ain't got 70 ibu's>>>if it does they hide it very well, lots of citrus in the taste.
very creamy mouthfeel>>>not much lacing kinda slides down the glass.
very drinkable could easily drink a few of these in a row.

nickthegun12, Nov 07, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a clear, light orange color...lazy bubbles rise up to an eggshell white head that falls to a ring that leaves webs of lacing.

I smell oranges, lemons, and grapefruits all candied. There is a bit of an overripe fruit funk and hint of saltine crackers too.

I taste the candied oranges and lemons...with just a slight hint of pepper...the overripe fruit funk is present as well.

Lighter body, but warm...it sticks to my tongue nicely.

Pretty dam good beer! My choice for those campgrounds that don't allow bottles!

sitarist, Nov 04, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

A ginormous thanks to BJ for this quality brew amongst a huge box of goodies!

Served from a can into a Gulden Draak tulip at 45°F.

Poured a dusky clementine orange, pumpkin pie hues and a giant, billowing, frothy head that left ample lacing in the tulip. Retain as a large clumped island of foam and continued to leave trails of lace in its wake. Delicious honey and lightly caramelized grain with a strangely sweet sort of citrus, almost reminiscent of a wit but crossed with a tripel. Nevertheless, a nice orange/citrus aroma prevails with a light touch of grassiness too. Quite balanced, the hops present with an onset of grapefruit, followed by earthy and grassy notes. Sweetish honey throughout. Caramel hint in the finish. Nicely dry. Can't even tell there's more than 5% abv, although it is 7%. A clever IPA if I may say so. Stamp of approval. Thanks again BJ!

DmanGTR, Oct 23, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Forms a big 1 1/2 inches plus of fluffy white head. Dark gold in color. Clear.

S: Grains and pale malt.

T: On the lighter side. Sweeter pale malt and some citrus hops. Almost a bit sour.

M: Lighter side of medium with appropriate carbonation. Clean.

D: Lighter IPA. Easy drinking.

Florida9, Oct 20, 2010

The beer pours a golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the citrus and grapefruit with not too much else. The flavor is bitter grapefruit and oranges, along with some peaches. The fruit is very juicy and is a little bit tart. Very nicely done. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Oct 18, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured into a Bell's Oberon 2010 pint glass.

A: HOLY GOD. I didn't pour very vigorous out of the can, and it resulted in a 4 finger eggshell head topping a golden yellow, almost copperish color beer, and the head stayed around and left lacing all over the glass. Settled into a nice 1/8" cap and leaves sticky lace after every drink. This one is off to a fantastic start.

S: This is nice. A little bit of a caramel sweetness to the malt, fresh bread, and dry yeast. And hops. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, hops. A little pine, but mostly citrus rind and grapefruit. Also a little bit of an alcohol booziness, but it stays hidden pretty well by the hops.

T: Really nice. Grapefruit, caramel, pine, orange, fresh bread, crackers, a little spiciness, grapefruit. Did I mention grapefruit? This one is an absolute monster IPA. Every flavor you could possibly ever want out of an IPA, and then some.

M: A little thin for the flavors that are present, decent carbonation, and finishes very abruptly. Meh, this lets the flavor down a little.

D: Very drinkable. I will be picking up a 6 pack or more of this the next time I head up to Beverage Source. This is one of the best standard IPA's I've had. Matter of fact, I'd put this right there with Two Hearted any day of the week. Absolutely fantastic.

This is a PHENOMENAL IPA. If you see it, try it. No joke, this one in a can is better than 90% in bottles, if not more. Great job from 21st Amendment.

Keffa, Oct 17, 2010