21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a twelve ounce can into a standard pint glass
Golden amber in color, with a moderate head of foam
Aroma-Nice, citrussy hops
Taste-Intro of bitter, medicinal hops, a bit metallic, then a bit of too-sweet maltiness that kind of unbalances the flavor.
I'm all for craft beer in the convenience of a can, but this offering seemed a bit too unbalanced and malty for a proper IPA. Still, for portability and price, not too bad.

hosehead83, Jun 21, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

A- Clear amber and gold hues, with white wispy head. Laces to the side after a few minutes. Little head retention.

S- Is slight aromatic with grassy hops, and other floral scents. Slightly medicinal.

T- Not as hoppy as I would like to see in an American IPA. Somewhat watery int he mouth as well. Hops are floral, with small sweet malt in the middle.

M- Hangs in the palate a bit watery, with slight metallic nature, possibly from the serving inn a can. Not bad tough.

D- Drinks pretty well, not a hop wallop, so goes down pretty smooth.

Probably the highest ABV for a beer in a can, that I've ever had. Not too bad.

Freshie, Jun 21, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Can to pint glass.

Pours a nice pale gold color, nice head that sticks around for a little bit, not forever, but leaves behind a beautiful lacing that I can tell will be there forever if I let it.

Smells like a normal AIPA, piney hops mostly with some background grapefruit. Not hugely aromatic, doesn't really jump from the glass. As it warms a bit, the pine turns to tropical fruits and the nose gets stronger. Served cold the smell is a 3.5 rating, a touch warmer brings it to a 4.

Taste is a mix of fruit and pine, with a hint of alcohol in the finish. It's nice, not puckeringly bitter, but bitterness is there just before the finish, then vanishes and your ready for the next sip. Hop flavor is great, more tropical fruits than your typical grapefruit/pine. Good but nothing hugely different about this IPA from any other.

Standard IPA mouthfeel, medium and slightly chewey.

Drinkability, in my opinion, is perfect. Not too bitter, but bitter enough. 7.0% ABV, which is still pretty big don't forget, and only the slightest trace of alcohol.

Overall, wonderful IPA by 21A. Drinkability of it might make it my new "go to" for the style. But this style is saturated with good beers and this one doesn't really blow the rest away. That said, I'd be prefectly happy if I showed up at a bar/party/beer store looking for an IPA and this was my only choice.

jculler82, Jun 19, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -24.1%

Picked this up in a mix-a-six from a very nice store I just visited in Virginia Beach, Grape and Gourmet.

Appearance- Pours a golden amber with a solid two fingers of creamy white head that has very good retention and leaves quite a bit of lacing as I drink.

Smell- I have to say, much weaker than I was expecting. I get a bit of grapefruit rind on the nose, followed thereafter by a lot of sweeter, bready smelling malts. Not nearly as much of a hop presence as I was expecting.

Taste- As the nose indicated, there really wasn't as much in the hop department here as I was expecting. Starts off with some mild grapefruit and pine resin flavors but that quickly gives way to a fair amount of sweet caramel maltiness. Finishes rather slick and sweet.

Mouthfeel/Drinkablity- Mouthfeel with solid and adequately carbonated. The beer went down easy enough but left me wanting a fair amount more in the flavor department.

Overall, rather disappointed. I thought it was quite weak in the hops department. Maybe it was on the older side? I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt despite the fact that it was in a can and will revisit in the future.

boatshoes, Jun 17, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a light copper to orange color with a half inch of off-white head. This leaves a nice lacing along the glass.

Loads of American hops in the nose. Plenty of citrus and pine mute everything else.

Quite hoppy with a bold bready note. Sharp finish with pine lingering. The hops certainly add bite. C-hops do the trick with a good malt backbone that adds complexity. Layers of hops just build on this beer. Each sip reveals more spice, citrus and pine.

Delicious IPA. A little on the maltier side but delicious none the less.

stewart124, Jun 17, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

I like the homage to the end of prohibition. May we all hope equally senseless prohibitions of our own time meet with the same fate.

Slight haze of a golden bodied brew, small white head, fairly sticky lace. Sweet malt nose with a well-balanced splash of floral hops. Taste revolves mostly around a mixture of hops, some bitters and florals. Sweet malt front, candy sugars. Some spice from the alcohol. Thin to medium mouthed. Nice IPA

Tballz420, Jun 16, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

A - An aggressive pour yields a two finger vanilla head that reduces to about a half finger and sticks around; excellent retention for an IPA. Color is a hazy golden yellow. Very little visible carbonation.

S - Citrus and pine resin hop up front, light hints of strawberry, some bready aroma

T&M - Medium bodied and a little "sticky" on the pallet, not quite as hoppy as the nose would make you think, and yet there seems to be an abundance of hop oils on my tongue. Citrus in the nose seems lost on the tongue...mostly pine. Very light yeasty background. Maybe my tongue is off tonight, but I also get a hint of diacetyl, which I do not like in an IPA.

D - For the most part very easy to drink, but I find the hop "stickiness" slightly off putting.

Notes - There are a lot of fantastic IPA's out there, and if it's a canned one I'm after, I'm likely to go with a 113 from Slyfox instead.

ZeroSignal, Jun 14, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

A deep golden-amber hue, this brew forms a nice, thick white cap dense enough to stick around for awhile and leave moderate lacing in my glass.
The aroma is a hop lover's delight, a complex mix of herbal and floral hops underneath a stronger citrus hops and resin mix with an apparent sweet, bready malt to balance.
The flavor follows suit, with the dominant force a mix of citrus and pine nicely balanced but a lightly sweet and bready malt presence with an herbal, juicy hops in the finish.
This one's got enough carbonation to keep it lovely without overdoing it in a nice, firm medium body that's plenty smooth and goes down very nicely.
This is a pure, raw, completely sessionable IPA I'd love to try again. My first from 21st Amendment and I'm not disappointed.

Brenden, Jun 14, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured a chilled 12 oz can into a pint glass.

A - A hazy golden yellow with a few particles floating around the glass. Poured a nice white head that dissipated rather quickly. Even though the head dissipated quickly it provided good, tight lacing. Slightly visible carbonation.

S - Nice citrus smell with a hint of pear.

T - Nice initial bitterness with a citrus/pear like flavor. Bitterness is not overpowering and is balanced with some of the fruitier flavors. Flavors do stick around for awhile.

M - Just enough carbonation to tickle the tongue without a bite. Lighter body. Crisp and clean finish.

D - This is a very drinkable IPA. Has a nice crisp finish with a lighter body which leaves you wanting another. Great lawnmower beer for the IPA fan.

BeardFacePhD, Jun 14, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

As already stated, this beer is new to Ohio. Poured out of a 12 oz. can into my mug. This beer pours a slightly hazy, light copper color. Nice fluffy white head when poured, eventually settles to a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass after the beer sits for awhile. Decent lacing. Has a decent aroma of citrus and hops are present and much else. I like the flavor as the piney citrus. grapefruit hop flavor comes through nicely. There is also a sort of odd sourness that is noticeable. Not an unpleasant sourness, just unexpected, it is something I would expect in a Lambic and not an IPA. Rounded out with nice hints of caramel malty sweetness. Nice balance of hops and malts, though the hops come off being the stronger of the two, as the should for a beer of this style. And that sourness adds an interesting dynamic. Has a good, crisp, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation and a clean finish. Overall a pretty good beer here, very tasty on this humid Friday night here in Cleveland. I would happily drink this again.

Eric

neenerzig, Jun 12, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -6%

12oz can poured into a tulip glass.

Slight haze in the upper part of the body, still rather clear for an IPA by most standards. White fluffy bubbles of near white are receding quickly and leaving behind an impressive amount of stick on the inside of the glass. The color is near yellow when held to the light, only the slightest bit of orange. The smell is quite typical for an IPA and rather underwhelming for Boasting "West Coast" on the can. Citric sweetness, orange and pine. The aromas are pleasant and humble. The first sip is mostly hop bitterness followed by caramel and toffee, but not sweet. The color would make one believe that malt would not be so strong but the caramel dominates the finish. If I would of had this from the can only I would have imagined an SRM much darker. The hops are lined in nicely and there is a fair amount of bitterness but is not sharp or dominant. I would love to have these in a cooler on a picnic, hiking or camping. I imagine putting a few of these away would be easy in the company of good friends.

llllDrGONZOllll, Jun 09, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

21st Amendment just started distributing to OH, as this is the first time I've seen their cans in the state. Picked up a sixer for around $8.99, now having the first few on my deck. The can states "an india pale ale with a solid malt backbone & hoppy flavor", and the cardboard holder states some things about 6 hops and an authentic west coast IPA. OK...

This beer looks really good, clear golden color with just a little haze, huge pillowy foam that laces in big dry clumps. The aroma doesn't live up to the billing though, and it makes me wonder how old these cans are, the ones they sent to OH for the first wave. There's an odd sourness in there, not sure where that comes from. I can smell a light citrus in there too but it seems obscured by the malts and sour note. Maybe if this were fresher the grapefruit would shine more, hard to tell with no date codes.

The taste is better though, although this reminds me more of an English IPA than an American one. I get the feeling that this recipe existed before the recent surge of "west coast IPA's" for a few reasons. Among these are the fact that I've seen the brewpub in SF many times in the past (never stopped though) and the fact that they can call this a west coast IPA when in fact it's nothing like its younger brothers. The hops are nice but not strong enough in aroma or flavor, the malt plays a stronger role than I like but at least it doesn't add any caramel notes, and the sourness is throwing everything off a little. This is making me think of an English IPA / American Pale Ale hybrid, not a bad thing but not what's advertised.

The body is light and this goes down easily, not a bad beer but I would like to see date codes. I'll probably try to get some fresh on tap someday, but it will be a struggle as I usually opt for much better stuff when I go to San Francisco.

TurdFurgison, Jun 07, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz. can tried 17 May 2010.

Poured in a Twisted Pine shaker pint. Strong aroma of hops as soon as the top is popped. Big yellow/white head. Lightly carbonated. Clear golden orange color. Sweet buttery toffee and citrus hoppiness in the aroma. Taste is similar, toffee butteriness and juicy hops. Finish is bittersweet. Lingering bitter aftertaste. Medium body and ethanol.

A liked this a bit better than me, I don't really care for butter in my IPAs.

htomsirveaux, Jun 06, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

THIS is a damn fine IPA. Hailing from the west coast, I'm surprised to find this a rather mellow, nearly British-style IPA.

Nice big crystalline head that slowly fizzled away leaving gritty sparkling lacing in its wake. Light amber color, a touch rusty.

You don't really detect the alcohol, but, wow, does it creep up (maybe I need to eat...). Anyway, the aroma is straight off the Isle. Not aggressively hoppy. A sophisticated hop character. Mellow, earthy, and inviting. Hoppier - compared to a British IPA, but not by much. Wonderfully well-balanced against a bold malt character. Am I in love? Or just drunk (no, I'm not drunk). This is the perfect classic IPA.

This was a pleasant contrast to "blah" chick beer the Watermelon Wheat is trying to be. Well done 2-1.

Bouleboubier, Jun 05, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -28%

Pours a cloudy yellowish-orange with thick white head. Leaves a nice ring of head as it dissipates with tons of lacing. I don't know how to improve on the appearance. I'm not a fan of this beer, however. It has this almost buttery, metallic smell/taste to it. There are the hops too, but I find it being overpowered by the off tastes. There is some bready malts in there too. If I am on vacation somewhere where this beer is sold again, I may try it again to see if I like it more.

kwjd, May 27, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -21%

A can into my trusty pint glass.

Looks great - nice golden orange with a huge head and great lace. Just a little cloudy, otherwise, a perfect looking beer.

Smell is a huge citrus aroma - mango and tangerine abound. Grapefruit and pine as well.

Taste is off. There's horrible finish to this beer, doesn't agree with me at all. Yes, I know about the new generation of canned beers. I'm not saying this is metallic like a Coors from 1970. It's just off - the yeast, hops, and malt don't work. Too much biscuity medicinal residual biterness is adding up to just bad flavor. No thanks on this one ever again.

Mouthfeel was nice though, creamy carb and light viscosity.

Drinkability suffered tremendously due to the flavors just not being my thing. This was a very fresh can (just appeared in our market) but it's juts not my thing. Weird, I like most beers - this one is just unbearable for me.

jampics2, May 24, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Single can purchased from specialty beer store in South Euclid, OH. Thin head, straw/yellow color. Citrus/orange aroma; really need to get the nose in there to detect much of the hops.
Acid on the tongue with fairly nice and smooth hops give way to a bitter aftertaste. Nice medium body with abundant hop resins.
I tried this brew both in the can and SA glass and find that the can liner does improve the aroma but at the expense of the overall taste. However, if one were to head out to fish, or to the beach, bringing a couple of these cans would certainly be an improvement over the standard mass produced fair.

CaptCleveland, May 23, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

A- A very beautiful honey golden color with an explosive off white head that leaves a lace with each sip.

S- Hint of citrus, very hoppy aroma that stings the nostrils just a bit.

T- Not as good as I expected, but not horrible, I think if it came in a bottle it would be a much better beer, its definitely got the classic IPA bitterness, with a splash of citrus.

MF- Just above good, sets on the taste buds well, and leaves a good after taste, not to heavy and not to light.

D- I could drink this beer all the time, especially being a fan of IPA's, so hats off to the 21st Amendment brewery, hope the rest of the styles you offer is as good if not better then this beer.

Kaiser777, May 23, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Perfect Pint glass. The pour yielded a large (3 finger), fluffy white head that quickly dissipated but left tons of lace in its wake. The body is a golden honey color with orange and amber hues.

The nose is weaker than I expected...some hops are present, you can also pick up something sweet...honey maybe...whatever it is, it is candy-like.

The flavoring is similar to the nose...in intensity also. Starts off with that odd, sweet flavor. The middle finds a grassy character that slowly fades into an oily, resin hop finish.

The mouth feel is lighter, oily and well carbonated.

This is a drinkable beer, but not one I necessary want to drink. Nothing jumps out at me and makes me want that next sip...meh.

mgbickel, May 23, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

I picked up a six pack of brew free or die @ the liquor outlet and wine cellar in Boonton NJ. Was excited to get it and for a reasonable price.

Pouring from the can into a Pint Glass there was considerable white head about two fingers deep. I detected a slight smell of hops though not above average. A good drink and my mouth was assaulted with pine and the ever awesome "cat piss" flavor on the sides and back of my mouth. The mouth feel was a little thin but worked for the beer which ended dry and refreshing which is a must for a good IPA. A very drinkable IPA, that is very west coast.

jorg2619, May 23, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a decent light copper color, with some decent initial head, but no real lacing. Very light scent, mostly malt sweet with a little watermelon in the nose. Decent taste, a nice slight watermelon/citrus hop flavor with a bit of malt sweetness; not a lot of malt backbone to it, not a huge flavor profile. Goes down fairly smooth.

JamesS, May 22, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Pours a reasonably clear golden with two fingers of head that died slowly leaving a lacing down the glass.

S - Very well balanced in the nose with floral hops a sweet bit from the malt.

T - The taste is skewed to malt, but there are plenty of hops throughout the flavor profile. A very well balanced/well made IPA.

M/D - Mouthfeel is slightly creamy and smooth with a rich silkyness. This is exceedingly drinkable and could easily become a regular beer for me.

mwa423, May 21, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a very slightly hazy golden with about two inches of head. The head leaves thick lacing around the top of the glass. The aroma is nondescript. There is definitely a hop presence, but it is very understated compared to some other IPA's. The taste is much hoppier than I would have thought based on the aroma. The hops seem to have more of a citrusy character than anything. The can mentions a malt backbone to the beer which I don't really taste much of, but all in all its an excellent IPA. The fact that its one of th efew IPA's available in cans in my area means that at the very least I'll keep a couple of cans handy at all times.

degerbah, May 21, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Wizzle includeed this one as an extra! Thanks.
Poured from can into pint glass.

A- deep golden almost an orange. Nice white head with clinging lace

S- sweet and pine with some malt?

T- sweet fruit then a punch of grapefruit and floral hops. Alcohol sneaks in and really blends well with the existing flavors.

M- medium bodied That really coats the mouth nicely slight carbonation.

D- one of the most drinkable ipas I've had. The only obstacle I can detect is the numbing of the tongue

I can't wait to get some more of this brew. Really great beer received from a great trader

Kelly88, May 21, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Radiant amber color with a two-inch white crown.

Oily pine-sap hop resins are rich in the nose. On the other hand, it makes me think of a dirty diaper a little. (I don't have kids.)

The taste really flips over to the malty side after the nose is pretty hop-forward. There is some pine and tangerine in there.

Not new or revolutionary. Just a really drinkable everyday IPA.

brownbeer, May 20, 2010