21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a decent light copper color, with some decent initial head, but no real lacing. Very light scent, mostly malt sweet with a little watermelon in the nose. Decent taste, a nice slight watermelon/citrus hop flavor with a bit of malt sweetness; not a lot of malt backbone to it, not a huge flavor profile. Goes down fairly smooth.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

A - Pours a reasonably clear golden with two fingers of head that died slowly leaving a lacing down the glass.

S - Very well balanced in the nose with floral hops a sweet bit from the malt.

T - The taste is skewed to malt, but there are plenty of hops throughout the flavor profile. A very well balanced/well made IPA.

M/D - Mouthfeel is slightly creamy and smooth with a rich silkyness. This is exceedingly drinkable and could easily become a regular beer for me.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a very slightly hazy golden with about two inches of head. The head leaves thick lacing around the top of the glass. The aroma is nondescript. There is definitely a hop presence, but it is very understated compared to some other IPA's. The taste is much hoppier than I would have thought based on the aroma. The hops seem to have more of a citrusy character than anything. The can mentions a malt backbone to the beer which I don't really taste much of, but all in all its an excellent IPA. The fact that its one of th efew IPA's available in cans in my area means that at the very least I'll keep a couple of cans handy at all times.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Wizzle includeed this one as an extra! Thanks.
Poured from can into pint glass.

A- deep golden almost an orange. Nice white head with clinging lace

S- sweet and pine with some malt?

T- sweet fruit then a punch of grapefruit and floral hops. Alcohol sneaks in and really blends well with the existing flavors.

M- medium bodied That really coats the mouth nicely slight carbonation.

D- one of the most drinkable ipas I've had. The only obstacle I can detect is the numbing of the tongue

I can't wait to get some more of this brew. Really great beer received from a great trader

3.66/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Radiant amber color with a two-inch white crown.

Oily pine-sap hop resins are rich in the nose. On the other hand, it makes me think of a dirty diaper a little. (I don't have kids.)

The taste really flips over to the malty side after the nose is pretty hop-forward. There is some pine and tangerine in there.

Not new or revolutionary. Just a really drinkable everyday IPA.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Clear gold bodied with a few staggering bubbles feeding a frothy sandy white head. Retention fades, but lacing stays strong.
Oxidized copper and caramel aroma, spiked with a basket of tropical fruit. Papaya, mango, grapefruit, and pineapple.
The malt rolls into the mouth and lays down. Vague sugary breadiness, with a touch of toast and caramel. For this to work, the hops need to be explosive. Here there merely loud. Tons of sour fruit. Lime and lemon and orange and grapefruit rinds. Rusty metal and hay.
The body is medium, with a subtle carbonation that gives it levity exceeding its list strength. It drinks like a well hopped Pale Ale. And that's its greatest asset.
In the end, I wanted both the malt and the hops to exceed what they produced, but for different reasons. The malt seems threadbare, and the hops, while loud, don't ring clearly or brightly or varied enough to make it stand out.

Pour - peachy or tangerine to orange in color with some nice auburn highlights when held to the light. Clean and clear with a thin wispy head.

Aroma - lots of lemon and orange peel, actually this reminds me a bit of Froot Loops. It has a certain sugary citrus aroma that brings me back to Saturday morning cartoons and my brother and I watching Smurfs and/or Snorks. I digress. Some sweet malt is apparent as well but that sharp hop profile is quite distinct.

Taste - one sip and I'd say this beer is full-flavored and then some. Sweetness coats the tongue but then the hops set in a big way. Lots of pine and citrus but its not over the top. After the barrage of hops the maltiness takes over and leaves you with a sweet yet tongue numbing feeling in your mouth. The hop profile in this IPA is rather unique and its definitely a lot more complex than other American IPAs. Check out the "hop bill" at the bottom. They use six different hops in this brew!

Overall - hey, I like it a lot! Its a very solid IPA and has a flavor that reminds me of Berkshire Brewing Company's Lost Sailor IPA. Lots and lots of flavors both of the malt and hop variety. Also, at 7% this is an IPA that packs a punch!

Would I buy more of it? - possibly, although there are a lot of great canned IPAs nowadays.

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Thanks to Mr. Middendorf for the brew.

A - SRM ranging between 7 and 8 with a 1.5 inch off-white head. There seems to be a bunch of sediment as well.

S - Medium level of citrus and leafy hop aroma with a slight leafiness.

T - Citrusy with a heavy leafy presence. There are some unusual accents of bread and nut here that, in my opinion, do nothing to help this brew.

M - Watery with a slightly coarse ending.

~ The "head" seems to be fantastic but as far as my overall opinion goes, I don't think I'd recommend this to a friend.

3.64/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a straw gold color with about 2 inches of white head. Big bubble size, fades rapidly to a thin film on the surface of the beer. Little lacing. Smell is very good, with big fruity hops, a bit of sweet malt, some solvent-y notes, some pine. It's refreshing.

Taste falls way flat. What happened to the hops? There's a slight bitter finish to it, but I'm not getting a whole lot of flavor from the hops at all. Maybe I've over-conditioned my lupulin threshold, but damn, this is one restrained IPA! I can't tell when it was canned, from the code I'm guessing this guy is about 2 months old. The malt is bready, though also subdued. I'm just not getting a whole bunch of flavor here. Nothing stands out as bad, but nothing is wow-ing me.

Decent mouthfeel, coating, medium bodied. Not as much carbonation as the head would suggest. Decent drink as an easy-drinking pale ale, just not a tremendous IPA. I'd take it out for a day at the beach or with friends that don't drink much craft, though.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

*Special thanks go out to my drinking Coach for providing me with the will to review again. You are an inspiration....my glorious, anti-AA sponsor.*

Presentation: 12 oz can into a Sam Adams Boston Lager Pint Glass.

A- Slightly hazy gold. Pours with 2+ fingers of creamy off white head, which fades very slowly to a cap, leaving tons of lacing. Excellent retention.

S- A nice cascade of citrus, herbal, piney hoppiness, with some minor hints of sweet, malty notes.

T- A fairly bold pine/herbal bitterness, and a wee bit soapy in the finish. Very subdued malt presence.

M- Moderate to slightly high carbonation give this a hint of crispness. Medium full feel.

D- Good. Solid overall brew. Interesting flavor profile, and a nice easy drinker.

Future outlook: Brought this one back from Seattle...don't think it's available here as of now...so won't be having again soon.

3.04/5  rDev -21.2%

A- golden amber with slight chill haze and a frothy off white head. plenty of spit bubble lace is left behind as the foam slowly recedes to a thin cap.

S- nicely balanced nose with equal amounts to citrus hoppiness and caramel marshmallow malty sweetness. hop bill of amarillo columbus cascade and simcoe makes for a floral tropical aroma that would be my archetype for an ideal ipa. this one is a sublime fusion of pineapple, madrarin orange, and pink grapefruit with some minor woodsy and pine notes.

T- fruity enough on the tongue as well. more resinous and somewhat solvent in flavor, although not bad, also has a puckering sourness to the ample bitterness. grapefruit peel and pineapple dominate the fruit side but quickly give way to the more resinous flavors. malt sweetness is nearly non-existant and what comes out is bready, grainy, and savory. finishes with a zesty bitterness and lingering hop flavor.

MF- a bit astringent with tight aggressive carbonation. somewhat drying as well. on the light side for an ipa but still hovering around medium bodied.

D- decent, not terrible, but what was a greatly balanced aroma turned out to be a so-so flavor as far as my ipa tastes go. warrior bittering hops could be the culprit, as could be my mind full of fancy ideals. either way, a bit heftier and a touch sweeter to balance the hops would help this one immensely.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on draft at Sweeney's Seafood Restaurant outside of Dayton. Served in a pint glass with a big bowl of spicy jambalaya.

A: Clear golden color, thin head that produces lots of lacing.

S: I pick up tropical fruit flavors in the aroma.

T: Not picking up a lot of hoppy bitterness, but the fruit tastes again are more tropical in nature instead of citrusy. Taste like a fruit salad with pineapple, mangos and papaya.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation with a creamy like mouthfeel.

D: Very smooth and drinkable -- goes down easily. Went well with my spicy jambalaya with sausage, shrimp and chicken. Tropical notes added a nice element, but I didn't get a lot of bitter hoppiness that I would expect from an IPA.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Not a topiIPA but tasty, well balanced, and very drinkable. Poured from the can into a pint glass. Very clear amber color, big fluffy head with good retention and thick spotty lacing. Good smell, not overwhelming, of citrus hops.

Taste iis citrus hops up front, and a little caramel malt to balance. Nothing overwhelming but good tasting.

Goes down very easy, rich enough mouthfeel, crisp and balanced.

I could drink a few of these on a hot day.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

yellowish gold color with an off-white head that settled to a skim. Some chill haze...Coit Liquor's coolers are definitely colder than mine. I bet the next one poured will be clear.

Smells like sticking your nose in a cup of fresh hops. I guess there is a little malt in there. not much though.

Nice. Malt is much more present in my mouth than my nose. nicely balances out the hops. Some lingering orange/citrus notes.

support.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Light orange with a yellow hue, and a thin, white head that fades a little, becoming patchy.
Smell is grassy hops with some subdued malts. Some fruity tones, including pineapple, watermelon, orange, and lemon.
Taste is piney hops, with some bready malts. A bitter rush from the hops follows. Citrus notes, including lemon and orange peel. Hops carry to the finish, along with a little bit of malts.
Mouthfeel is crisp and biting, with a medium level of carbonation. Fairly light body.
Drinkability is good. Alcohol well-concealed.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz can, served in a standard pint glass

A - pours a thin layer of loose bubbly just slightly off white foam. the beer is somewhat hazy, a bright golden color sitting still in the glass.

S - very sweet, hops come off as candied pineapple, orange sugar candy, and mango. assertive light caramel malt underneath for balance.

T - sharp grapefruit ad orange peel, bitter and very grassy...almost as if the hops are on their way down.

M- very light body, carbonation is a tad hot and prickly, a bit distracting. finishes with some lingering piney bitterness.

D - thought it was MUCH better off the tap, dont think this can is old, just a bit watery and overcarbonated, one dimensional.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

A little background: While I've been a beer aficionado for over 30 years, my experience with true craft brewing is nowhere near that of most reviewers here. My "go to" brew for at least a decade has been Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and I still thoroughly enjoy SNPA. Recently I've been happily downing numerous cans of Dale's Pale after spying it at my local store. And I've been experimenting with a number of more assertive, hop-oriented styles, including Double and Imperial IPAs.

I found this particular IPA quite tasty. Beautiful golden color, nice citrus notes, plenty of hops (but not overbearing), and eminently drinkable. Look forward to doing a head-to-head with this and Dale's.

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First off, this was my first time drinking craft beer from a can. Poured a pale golden color into standard pint glass. Very nice head and w/ sticky lacing. Ok, if you blindfolded me, I might think this was Labatt Blue. This beer did not remind me of an IPA at all. It even has a tinny metallic taste which I'm assuming is from the can. Hops were not present. A bit watery, truly reminds me of BMC, but I'll give it more credit than that.

At 7% the beer does it's job. I'll give it credit for being different in the IPA category but there is no way this beer comes close to touching all of our favorite American IPAs. If anything this could be a Pale Ale. I unfortunately can't recommend this one to a hophead. This could be a great "gateway" beer though.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a nice, rich gold with a huge white head that laces great. Mild smell of grassy, wheaty hops and a bit of malt behind it.
Tastes mostly of hops, lots of grass, hay, and a bit of citrus behind it. The malts are there, just muted a bit. Not an overly sweet beer, slight caramel notes blend well with the hops. Lingering hop bite as well. Decent rich mouthfeel with a nice level of carbonation. Very easy to drink after a lawn mowing session.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Can, thanks to mntlover, pours a mostly clear golden amber body with a lavish offwhite head that rises to three fingers. Good retention and abundant patchy lace.

Aroma is a bit subdued, but features grapefruit and grassy hops, a hint of tropical fruit, and toasty caramel malt.

Mouthfeel has a medium body and carbonation and a nice creamy texture.

Very tasty. Pink grapefruit with a hint of apricot adds a mild tropical sweetness to the firm caramel malt backbone. Grassy hops balance nicely but the bitterness is very understated. Finishes clean and even.

Very tasty and highly drinkable. I would call it an American Pale Ale instead of an IPA, but why quibble?

A- Pours golden orange color with a thick and creamy head. Head quickly goes away, forming a thin layer of bubbles, and leaves some nice ringed lacing.

S- Smells pretty solid and just like I expected. A nice smell of tropical fruits hits me, a bit of pine and some bread like malts to balance things out.

T- Follows the nose pretty well. Starts off pretty bitter, nice citrus hops and also piney. A nice malt back bone in here too. Pretty solid brew for sure.

M- Medium in body and carbonation seemed right on too.

D- So far only had this one once. I found this one pretty easy to drink and would hit this one up again.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Gotta love craft beer in a can. Saw this little brown wrapped sixer in one of my favorite stores and couldn't resist. The weather is hot...time for a nice IPA.

A-Slightly veiled bright golden orange amber with a puffy creamy head that laces very nicely.

S-Citrus and pine hops here as well as a strong caramel malt backbone detected. Does not smell like 70 IBUS, but pleasing nonetheless.

T-The citrus hops detected in the nose are present in the initial taste, but are drop kicked to the background by an unusual amount of malts. This tastes almost like a Belgian IPA, but seems a little too malty for the style. Don't get me wrong...a solid brew in its own right, but not necessarily the thing to get your hop fix on.

M-Medium mouthfeel and well balanced overall.

D-This is pretty drinkable and a little offbeat, but not exactly what I am looking for in an IPA. For the same price I can grab a pack of Racer 5, or if I want cans, some Dales. Interesting though, and may revisit some time again in the future.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Reviewing this one as I sip on it....

Poured form the can into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. Pour generates a pretty sizeable foamy head. The aroma is just OK - which is kind of how I feel about this beer in general. Picked them up in a trade at DLD and its' good, but IMO can't touch some of the more readily available IPA that I can get my hands on much more easily (such as Bells Two Hearted...).

Flavor has a nice bitterness to it, but overall I'm not all that impressed.

Its OK, but I probably wouldn't buy this again if I had the chance... do love canned craft beer though! Let's keep this trend going!

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Great fluffy beige and amber appearance with some of the best lacing I've ever seen from a canned beer.

Smell and taste is much fruitier than I would have expected, doubt its the can. A little Belgian feel to it, in a good way.

Mouthfeel, very straight forward other than the feel of the Belgian yeast, very easy to drink for the style and alcohol level. Gets extra drinkability points for being able to sneak it into football/baseball games.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Still not use to drinking craft beer from a can.
This beer definately tasted better in a glass than in the can. Pours a nice golden orange with a big puffy head. Aroma is light citrus, grapefruit, a little hops. Taste is ok. Its an average IPA flavor hop forward with some grapefruit to balance it. Its an easy drinker,and goes down well. I suppose if you had to drink from a can, this is a good choice. But at 10.50 a sixer, there are a lot of better IPA's out there for a lot cheaper.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery