21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -6%

12oz can poured into a tulip glass.

Slight haze in the upper part of the body, still rather clear for an IPA by most standards. White fluffy bubbles of near white are receding quickly and leaving behind an impressive amount of stick on the inside of the glass. The color is near yellow when held to the light, only the slightest bit of orange. The smell is quite typical for an IPA and rather underwhelming for Boasting "West Coast" on the can. Citric sweetness, orange and pine. The aromas are pleasant and humble. The first sip is mostly hop bitterness followed by caramel and toffee, but not sweet. The color would make one believe that malt would not be so strong but the caramel dominates the finish. If I would of had this from the can only I would have imagined an SRM much darker. The hops are lined in nicely and there is a fair amount of bitterness but is not sharp or dominant. I would love to have these in a cooler on a picnic, hiking or camping. I imagine putting a few of these away would be easy in the company of good friends.

3.59/5  rDev -7%

21st Amendment just started distributing to OH, as this is the first time I've seen their cans in the state. Picked up a sixer for around $8.99, now having the first few on my deck. The can states "an india pale ale with a solid malt backbone & hoppy flavor", and the cardboard holder states some things about 6 hops and an authentic west coast IPA. OK...

This beer looks really good, clear golden color with just a little haze, huge pillowy foam that laces in big dry clumps. The aroma doesn't live up to the billing though, and it makes me wonder how old these cans are, the ones they sent to OH for the first wave. There's an odd sourness in there, not sure where that comes from. I can smell a light citrus in there too but it seems obscured by the malts and sour note. Maybe if this were fresher the grapefruit would shine more, hard to tell with no date codes.

The taste is better though, although this reminds me more of an English IPA than an American one. I get the feeling that this recipe existed before the recent surge of "west coast IPA's" for a few reasons. Among these are the fact that I've seen the brewpub in SF many times in the past (never stopped though) and the fact that they can call this a west coast IPA when in fact it's nothing like its younger brothers. The hops are nice but not strong enough in aroma or flavor, the malt plays a stronger role than I like but at least it doesn't add any caramel notes, and the sourness is throwing everything off a little. This is making me think of an English IPA / American Pale Ale hybrid, not a bad thing but not what's advertised.

The body is light and this goes down easily, not a bad beer but I would like to see date codes. I'll probably try to get some fresh on tap someday, but it will be a struggle as I usually opt for much better stuff when I go to San Francisco.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz. can tried 17 May 2010.

Poured in a Twisted Pine shaker pint. Strong aroma of hops as soon as the top is popped. Big yellow/white head. Lightly carbonated. Clear golden orange color. Sweet buttery toffee and citrus hoppiness in the aroma. Taste is similar, toffee butteriness and juicy hops. Finish is bittersweet. Lingering bitter aftertaste. Medium body and ethanol.

A liked this a bit better than me, I don't really care for butter in my IPAs.

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%

THIS is a damn fine IPA. Hailing from the west coast, I'm surprised to find this a rather mellow, nearly British-style IPA.

Nice big crystalline head that slowly fizzled away leaving gritty sparkling lacing in its wake. Light amber color, a touch rusty.

You don't really detect the alcohol, but, wow, does it creep up (maybe I need to eat...). Anyway, the aroma is straight off the Isle. Not aggressively hoppy. A sophisticated hop character. Mellow, earthy, and inviting. Hoppier - compared to a British IPA, but not by much. Wonderfully well-balanced against a bold malt character. Am I in love? Or just drunk (no, I'm not drunk). This is the perfect classic IPA.

This was a pleasant contrast to "blah" chick beer the Watermelon Wheat is trying to be. Well done 2-1.

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a cloudy yellowish-orange with thick white head. Leaves a nice ring of head as it dissipates with tons of lacing. I don't know how to improve on the appearance. I'm not a fan of this beer, however. It has this almost buttery, metallic smell/taste to it. There are the hops too, but I find it being overpowered by the off tastes. There is some bready malts in there too. If I am on vacation somewhere where this beer is sold again, I may try it again to see if I like it more.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

A can into my trusty pint glass.

Looks great - nice golden orange with a huge head and great lace. Just a little cloudy, otherwise, a perfect looking beer.

Smell is a huge citrus aroma - mango and tangerine abound. Grapefruit and pine as well.

Taste is off. There's horrible finish to this beer, doesn't agree with me at all. Yes, I know about the new generation of canned beers. I'm not saying this is metallic like a Coors from 1970. It's just off - the yeast, hops, and malt don't work. Too much biscuity medicinal residual biterness is adding up to just bad flavor. No thanks on this one ever again.

Mouthfeel was nice though, creamy carb and light viscosity.

Drinkability suffered tremendously due to the flavors just not being my thing. This was a very fresh can (just appeared in our market) but it's juts not my thing. Weird, I like most beers - this one is just unbearable for me.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Single can purchased from specialty beer store in South Euclid, OH. Thin head, straw/yellow color. Citrus/orange aroma; really need to get the nose in there to detect much of the hops.
Acid on the tongue with fairly nice and smooth hops give way to a bitter aftertaste. Nice medium body with abundant hop resins.
I tried this brew both in the can and SA glass and find that the can liner does improve the aroma but at the expense of the overall taste. However, if one were to head out to fish, or to the beach, bringing a couple of these cans would certainly be an improvement over the standard mass produced fair.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

A- A very beautiful honey golden color with an explosive off white head that leaves a lace with each sip.

S- Hint of citrus, very hoppy aroma that stings the nostrils just a bit.

T- Not as good as I expected, but not horrible, I think if it came in a bottle it would be a much better beer, its definitely got the classic IPA bitterness, with a splash of citrus.

MF- Just above good, sets on the taste buds well, and leaves a good after taste, not to heavy and not to light.

D- I could drink this beer all the time, especially being a fan of IPA's, so hats off to the 21st Amendment brewery, hope the rest of the styles you offer is as good if not better then this beer.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Perfect Pint glass. The pour yielded a large (3 finger), fluffy white head that quickly dissipated but left tons of lace in its wake. The body is a golden honey color with orange and amber hues.

The nose is weaker than I expected...some hops are present, you can also pick up something sweet...honey maybe...whatever it is, it is candy-like.

The flavoring is similar to the nose...in intensity also. Starts off with that odd, sweet flavor. The middle finds a grassy character that slowly fades into an oily, resin hop finish.

The mouth feel is lighter, oily and well carbonated.

This is a drinkable beer, but not one I necessary want to drink. Nothing jumps out at me and makes me want that next sip...meh.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

I picked up a six pack of brew free or die @ the liquor outlet and wine cellar in Boonton NJ. Was excited to get it and for a reasonable price.

Pouring from the can into a Pint Glass there was considerable white head about two fingers deep. I detected a slight smell of hops though not above average. A good drink and my mouth was assaulted with pine and the ever awesome "cat piss" flavor on the sides and back of my mouth. The mouth feel was a little thin but worked for the beer which ended dry and refreshing which is a must for a good IPA. A very drinkable IPA, that is very west coast.

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a decent light copper color, with some decent initial head, but no real lacing. Very light scent, mostly malt sweet with a little watermelon in the nose. Decent taste, a nice slight watermelon/citrus hop flavor with a bit of malt sweetness; not a lot of malt backbone to it, not a huge flavor profile. Goes down fairly smooth.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

A - Pours a reasonably clear golden with two fingers of head that died slowly leaving a lacing down the glass.

S - Very well balanced in the nose with floral hops a sweet bit from the malt.

T - The taste is skewed to malt, but there are plenty of hops throughout the flavor profile. A very well balanced/well made IPA.

M/D - Mouthfeel is slightly creamy and smooth with a rich silkyness. This is exceedingly drinkable and could easily become a regular beer for me.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a very slightly hazy golden with about two inches of head. The head leaves thick lacing around the top of the glass. The aroma is nondescript. There is definitely a hop presence, but it is very understated compared to some other IPA's. The taste is much hoppier than I would have thought based on the aroma. The hops seem to have more of a citrusy character than anything. The can mentions a malt backbone to the beer which I don't really taste much of, but all in all its an excellent IPA. The fact that its one of th efew IPA's available in cans in my area means that at the very least I'll keep a couple of cans handy at all times.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Wizzle includeed this one as an extra! Thanks.
Poured from can into pint glass.

A- deep golden almost an orange. Nice white head with clinging lace

S- sweet and pine with some malt?

T- sweet fruit then a punch of grapefruit and floral hops. Alcohol sneaks in and really blends well with the existing flavors.

M- medium bodied That really coats the mouth nicely slight carbonation.

D- one of the most drinkable ipas I've had. The only obstacle I can detect is the numbing of the tongue

I can't wait to get some more of this brew. Really great beer received from a great trader

3.66/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Radiant amber color with a two-inch white crown.

Oily pine-sap hop resins are rich in the nose. On the other hand, it makes me think of a dirty diaper a little. (I don't have kids.)

The taste really flips over to the malty side after the nose is pretty hop-forward. There is some pine and tangerine in there.

Not new or revolutionary. Just a really drinkable everyday IPA.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Clear gold bodied with a few staggering bubbles feeding a frothy sandy white head. Retention fades, but lacing stays strong.
Oxidized copper and caramel aroma, spiked with a basket of tropical fruit. Papaya, mango, grapefruit, and pineapple.
The malt rolls into the mouth and lays down. Vague sugary breadiness, with a touch of toast and caramel. For this to work, the hops need to be explosive. Here there merely loud. Tons of sour fruit. Lime and lemon and orange and grapefruit rinds. Rusty metal and hay.
The body is medium, with a subtle carbonation that gives it levity exceeding its list strength. It drinks like a well hopped Pale Ale. And that's its greatest asset.
In the end, I wanted both the malt and the hops to exceed what they produced, but for different reasons. The malt seems threadbare, and the hops, while loud, don't ring clearly or brightly or varied enough to make it stand out.

Pour - peachy or tangerine to orange in color with some nice auburn highlights when held to the light. Clean and clear with a thin wispy head.

Aroma - lots of lemon and orange peel, actually this reminds me a bit of Froot Loops. It has a certain sugary citrus aroma that brings me back to Saturday morning cartoons and my brother and I watching Smurfs and/or Snorks. I digress. Some sweet malt is apparent as well but that sharp hop profile is quite distinct.

Taste - one sip and I'd say this beer is full-flavored and then some. Sweetness coats the tongue but then the hops set in a big way. Lots of pine and citrus but its not over the top. After the barrage of hops the maltiness takes over and leaves you with a sweet yet tongue numbing feeling in your mouth. The hop profile in this IPA is rather unique and its definitely a lot more complex than other American IPAs. Check out the "hop bill" at the bottom. They use six different hops in this brew!

Overall - hey, I like it a lot! Its a very solid IPA and has a flavor that reminds me of Berkshire Brewing Company's Lost Sailor IPA. Lots and lots of flavors both of the malt and hop variety. Also, at 7% this is an IPA that packs a punch!

Would I buy more of it? - possibly, although there are a lot of great canned IPAs nowadays.

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Thanks to Mr. Middendorf for the brew.

A - SRM ranging between 7 and 8 with a 1.5 inch off-white head. There seems to be a bunch of sediment as well.

S - Medium level of citrus and leafy hop aroma with a slight leafiness.

T - Citrusy with a heavy leafy presence. There are some unusual accents of bread and nut here that, in my opinion, do nothing to help this brew.

M - Watery with a slightly coarse ending.

~ The "head" seems to be fantastic but as far as my overall opinion goes, I don't think I'd recommend this to a friend.

3.64/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a straw gold color with about 2 inches of white head. Big bubble size, fades rapidly to a thin film on the surface of the beer. Little lacing. Smell is very good, with big fruity hops, a bit of sweet malt, some solvent-y notes, some pine. It's refreshing.

Taste falls way flat. What happened to the hops? There's a slight bitter finish to it, but I'm not getting a whole lot of flavor from the hops at all. Maybe I've over-conditioned my lupulin threshold, but damn, this is one restrained IPA! I can't tell when it was canned, from the code I'm guessing this guy is about 2 months old. The malt is bready, though also subdued. I'm just not getting a whole bunch of flavor here. Nothing stands out as bad, but nothing is wow-ing me.

Decent mouthfeel, coating, medium bodied. Not as much carbonation as the head would suggest. Decent drink as an easy-drinking pale ale, just not a tremendous IPA. I'd take it out for a day at the beach or with friends that don't drink much craft, though.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

*Special thanks go out to my drinking Coach for providing me with the will to review again. You are an inspiration....my glorious, anti-AA sponsor.*

Presentation: 12 oz can into a Sam Adams Boston Lager Pint Glass.

A- Slightly hazy gold. Pours with 2+ fingers of creamy off white head, which fades very slowly to a cap, leaving tons of lacing. Excellent retention.

S- A nice cascade of citrus, herbal, piney hoppiness, with some minor hints of sweet, malty notes.

T- A fairly bold pine/herbal bitterness, and a wee bit soapy in the finish. Very subdued malt presence.

M- Moderate to slightly high carbonation give this a hint of crispness. Medium full feel.

D- Good. Solid overall brew. Interesting flavor profile, and a nice easy drinker.

Future outlook: Brought this one back from Seattle...don't think it's available here as of now...so won't be having again soon.

3.04/5  rDev -21.2%

A- golden amber with slight chill haze and a frothy off white head. plenty of spit bubble lace is left behind as the foam slowly recedes to a thin cap.

S- nicely balanced nose with equal amounts to citrus hoppiness and caramel marshmallow malty sweetness. hop bill of amarillo columbus cascade and simcoe makes for a floral tropical aroma that would be my archetype for an ideal ipa. this one is a sublime fusion of pineapple, madrarin orange, and pink grapefruit with some minor woodsy and pine notes.

T- fruity enough on the tongue as well. more resinous and somewhat solvent in flavor, although not bad, also has a puckering sourness to the ample bitterness. grapefruit peel and pineapple dominate the fruit side but quickly give way to the more resinous flavors. malt sweetness is nearly non-existant and what comes out is bready, grainy, and savory. finishes with a zesty bitterness and lingering hop flavor.

MF- a bit astringent with tight aggressive carbonation. somewhat drying as well. on the light side for an ipa but still hovering around medium bodied.

D- decent, not terrible, but what was a greatly balanced aroma turned out to be a so-so flavor as far as my ipa tastes go. warrior bittering hops could be the culprit, as could be my mind full of fancy ideals. either way, a bit heftier and a touch sweeter to balance the hops would help this one immensely.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on draft at Sweeney's Seafood Restaurant outside of Dayton. Served in a pint glass with a big bowl of spicy jambalaya.

A: Clear golden color, thin head that produces lots of lacing.

S: I pick up tropical fruit flavors in the aroma.

T: Not picking up a lot of hoppy bitterness, but the fruit tastes again are more tropical in nature instead of citrusy. Taste like a fruit salad with pineapple, mangos and papaya.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation with a creamy like mouthfeel.

D: Very smooth and drinkable -- goes down easily. Went well with my spicy jambalaya with sausage, shrimp and chicken. Tropical notes added a nice element, but I didn't get a lot of bitter hoppiness that I would expect from an IPA.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Not a topiIPA but tasty, well balanced, and very drinkable. Poured from the can into a pint glass. Very clear amber color, big fluffy head with good retention and thick spotty lacing. Good smell, not overwhelming, of citrus hops.

Taste iis citrus hops up front, and a little caramel malt to balance. Nothing overwhelming but good tasting.

Goes down very easy, rich enough mouthfeel, crisp and balanced.

I could drink a few of these on a hot day.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

yellowish gold color with an off-white head that settled to a skim. Some chill haze...Coit Liquor's coolers are definitely colder than mine. I bet the next one poured will be clear.

Smells like sticking your nose in a cup of fresh hops. I guess there is a little malt in there. not much though.

Nice. Malt is much more present in my mouth than my nose. nicely balances out the hops. Some lingering orange/citrus notes.

support.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Light orange with a yellow hue, and a thin, white head that fades a little, becoming patchy.
Smell is grassy hops with some subdued malts. Some fruity tones, including pineapple, watermelon, orange, and lemon.
Taste is piney hops, with some bready malts. A bitter rush from the hops follows. Citrus notes, including lemon and orange peel. Hops carry to the finish, along with a little bit of malts.
Mouthfeel is crisp and biting, with a medium level of carbonation. Fairly light body.
Drinkability is good. Alcohol well-concealed.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery