21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
BARFLYB

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Single can poured into a DFH curved pint glass. Never seen this in my area before.

A- 21st Amendment pours out a hazy golden color with some with some light orange as well. A nice three fingers of semi-tight white head rose up, then faded to an inch, then to a faint skim, minimal lacing.

S- A hoppy nose with a equal amount of malt build to balance it out. Some citrus and some bread from the malt. I seem to be getting a perfume type scent which is odd. Some minor tropical fruits hardly make a dent.

T- This actually was better when was cold, warming up things went downhill. This is a good attempt at a ipa with some hops and some pale malts. Light on citrus, light on fruit. Perhaps this a old can, I cant tell cause there is no date.

M- I enjoyed this better cold, the malts really came up in a big way with warming almost drowning out the hops completely. Medium bodied with light carb and a minimal aftertaste.

D- I was surprised this was 7.2%, I was thinking it would be in the five area. Either way I would enjoy this better if there was a bit more ummpph to it, glad I got a single.

07-22-2009 03:57:50 | More by BARFLYB
monkeylovebeer

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

San Francisco's 21st Amendment Brewery is probably best known for jumping out in front of the microbrew-in-a-can trend. I was bound for the annual family stay at Lake Tahoe where I knew I was going to need some good beer, so a couple six-packs of a portable, beach-friendly IPA were just what the doctor ordered.

As tasty as it was straight out of the cooler as the thermometer flirted with 100 degrees, it was once I got back to the cabin and found myself a pint glass that this tasty, well-balanced brew was given a proper chance to shine. The Brew Free! or Die IPA pours a light-golden hue with a prodigious cotton-colored head with some serious lacing. Its looks alone invited interest from the macro-beer drinkers at the cabin.

I don't wish to demean this beer in anyway when I say that this would be a good introductory IPA for those wishing to start developing a palate for them. It throws an inviting sweet citrus nose with subtle sourdough undertones. Not at all like the piney hop bombs that I usually drink; of course, those have the added bonus of keeping less resin-wrecked taste buds out of my stash.

All in all, very quaffable, with a velvet-smooth mouthfeel that reveals the underlying hops. Its drinkability and portability assures that I'll be taking this beer along on all my summer water-related excursions.

07-21-2009 06:00:55 | More by monkeylovebeer
Brad007

Vermont

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a cloudy blonde color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Nice color.

Aroma is full of floral, citrusy hops with a hint of biscuit malt in the nose.

Taste is full of citrusy hop bitterness with a good dose of biscuit malt in the middle. Seems very well-done.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering citrusy hops and biscuit malt flavors. Very easygoing and goes down well.

Very nice IPA that is highly drinkable. It comes from a can and so far, it's the best IPA I've had from a can, though I haven't tried too many canned craft beers. Worth a try!

07-19-2009 18:39:40 | More by Brad007
SUjunkie

Rhode Island

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz can.

Clear gold w/ a large dense white head. The head quickly drops to a ring around the glass and leaves lots of spotty lace on the way down the glass.

Smell is awesome. Grapefruit and pine. Lightly sweet orange and tangerine.

Taste is good. Hint of alcohol. Grapefruit, orange and tangerine.

Mouthfeel is good. Low carbonation.

Drinkability is great. Tasty, well balanced, and quite enjoyable. I will be buying sixers of this very often.

07-19-2009 00:58:05 | More by SUjunkie
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

3.55/5  rDev -8%

Can into Sam Adams lager glass.

Pours light copper, with a half-finger off-white head that settles quickly into a thin soapy layer. Nice lacing as the cap recedes.

Nose is nice - big wallops of sweet citrus and tropical fruits. Tangerines, mangoes, grapefruit are all well represented. There's a light tart note in there as well. The overall aroma itself isn't huge, but it's a nice nose with lots of gorgeous fruit. As it warms, though, it gets grassier with some cat pee sneaking in, and not in a good way.

Taste is a bit less impressive. A bit astringent up front, with a snappy light bitterness surrounded by an almost tangy hop not that's leafy while at the same time carrying lots of grapefruit rind. Kind of odd. Some light caramel sits underneath, lightly.

Mouthfeel is a bit dry, moderate carbonation and mdedium body. Rather unremarkable.

Drinkability isn't bad. But it's not that good either - there's nothing pulling me to take another sip each time. It's kind of a sloppily put together IPA.

07-17-2009 20:44:00 | More by JohnQVegas
alleykatking

Indiana

Got in a trade with mjl21...thanks again Mike!

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow color. 1 1/2 finger off white head that dies down rather quickly. Leaves good sticky lacing that clings to the sides of the glass. Nice looking beer.

S- Nice citrus hop tones (grapefruit and some orange) upfront in the nose. The middle of this seems almost wheaty...like pizza dough yeast. Pick up some grassy notes as well toward the end of the nose. Different smelling than most west coast IPA's.

T- This is a very well balanced IPA. The upfront of citrus and light piney hops balance perfectly with a semi-sweet caramel wheaty malt. Middle of the beer is malty with lighter hops but the ending is a nice crisp hop finish. Nothing too over the top with the hop finish but just good.

M- Nice clean lighter mouthfeel. The carbonation is almost on the edge of too much for me but fine for the style nevertheless. Nice balance leaves both a sweet malt and semi-bitter hops on the tounge. A little bit of a metalic wheaty aftertaste.

D- This is a clean and crisp easy drinker. I could drink these all the time if they were for sale in Indiana. Very much enjoyed this beer.

07-16-2009 04:18:07 | More by alleykatking
IBUnit63

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Reviewed on the throne in the reading room - 12 oz. into a Duvel tulip. This beer is officially in The Can...

Awesome 2-finger butter-eggshell head. Honey/butterscotch with a little chill haze. Ample carbonation and retention.

Nose is very light - citrus is in there on the hop profile but malt is quite mild...almost wheat-ish. Good but maybe more dainty than most in the style. First comparison: Rogue Yellow Snow IPA.

Again, very light...matching the aroma. Quenching indeed but malt may be a little too light and electric (again, the wheat comparison) for style...although it is enjoyable.

Maybe out of style but it's still quite clean, electric and refreshing. Finish is tight but still enjoyable. Hops give off a rind pucker at the back of the palate.

I do like the freshness and the light-hearted nature of this, but overall it's tightly wound and a little out of style. Still, it's a good summertime snack.

07-15-2009 11:59:50 | More by IBUnit63
GJ40

4.13/5  rDev +7%

Sampled from a 12oz can in a standard pint glass.

A - A nice golden color with a moderate sized head and very good lacing. A great start.

S - A burst of floral and fruity hops that continues to greet you with every sip.

T - On my first taste, I got a lot of hop flavor and a nice citrusy bite. But then it got much more balanced with the floral and citrusy hop flavors backed by some toasted malt. It still leans toward the hops but they don't dominate the experience. Every now and then some yeast flavor comes through as well. I really enjoyed the way the flavors worked together.

M - On the thinner side but that's almost offset by a slight creaminess. Moderate carbonation with very fine bubbles.

D - A very flavorful yet very refreshing beer. I certainly plan to have more of this one.

07-15-2009 09:46:13 | More by GJ40
almightyme3

A - pours hazy yelow with decent carbonation. Good head retention - about 2 finger head and then dissipates to about 1cm and stays for a while.

S - smell of hops a little citrus, a good american hops smell.

T - Tastes bitter aromatic hops, a little bit of saison funk in there, just a tad. Alcohol is very well hidden. A little clove and banana as well. Overall nice and easy.

M - very light and unlike most(and very good) IPAs - Sierra Nevada, Dogfish. Not as intense as those, but very well-crafted.

D - could have 3-4 in a setting, good summer beer.
I would recommend this, its not as thick and syrupy as some other IPAs, lighter and a bit funkier, different and nice.

07-14-2009 20:02:17 | More by almightyme3
BitterPachyderm

Indiana

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

i got this from DrDogbeer in the White Whale of Generosity BIF, thanks Tom! I'm always looking for more can!

12 oz. can poured into my new Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass (thanks again Tom!), couldn't find any freshness date whatsoever...

four fingers of pillowy white head, gorgeous stickage, cloudy urine colored body...thankful for the head, which helps it's score tremendously.

hop forward with a sweet yet metallic tone, some citrus, but domintated by a grainy profile-i've smelled better

sweet hop presence, but not overly strong...slight citrus undertones, but once again, a strong graininess is dominating all fronts. bland and not bitter...i've had better...

sticky and flat

despite it's blandness, it is very drinkable

it's neither good nor bad...not something i will go out of my way to aquire again...

07-13-2009 07:00:02 | More by BitterPachyderm
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

Orange color with some haziness - topped with a white, solid head it looks pretty great. Aromas are hardcore West Coast hops: lots of citrics, tropical fruit, herbs, and pine resin. Also very nice.

The flavor is influenced by the sweet and toasted malt pretty evenly with the hops; neither takes a huge step forward. Good balance, but a leaning a shade towards pale ale.

Decent body, good carbonation takes any edge left on the hops right off the tongue. Nice to drink, a pleasant overall experience, not quite up there with the reputation. But a very nice canned beer for those times when that's important...

07-12-2009 23:25:02 | More by BretSikkink
brokenleadedcask

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%

Received in a trade from Richbeer. Thanks Rich, always a pleasure. Reviewed from notes

There was no Pst! sound when I popped the top on this one but it did pour a nice blond color with an inch of head and left some good lacing. Wow! Smell of pineapple, grapefruit and citrus, with plenty of malt to back it up. Nice earthy IPA. Hard to believe this comes from a can, time to change some can bigotry perceptions. Powerful hop malt profile, hop candy. Hate to say it, almost too much malt. Creamy, resiny hops coat this inside of the mouth, with a lingering finish and pleasant aftertaste. Superbly drinkable. Having one on a plus 90 degree day was just what the doctor ordered.

07-12-2009 15:45:20 | More by brokenleadedcask
SPRichard

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

orange/gold body with a 2 finger white head...settles to a decent cap with superb retention....patchy lacing shows up after each sip

if i was blindfolded i could tell this was a west coast IPA...very much hops and an intense citrus/grassy scent....malt base is very well hidden....kinda pick up some caramel in there also

very balanced flavor...bitterness is very low but the hop flavor is still very much present...the citrus/grass from the scent show up in each sip along but very subtly...because of that the malt gets to stand out quite highlighting the hint of caramel on top of the clean base

light/medium body....very low carbonation, almost too low....finishes dry leaving you wanting another sip

very balanced beer in all aspects....goes down a lot quicker then a west coast IPA should....with a 7.2% this one could sneak up on you after 6 pack

i only picked up a single of this before wanting to commit to a 6 pack....i think the next time i'm out looking for beer i'll be picking up this one

07-08-2009 00:48:10 | More by SPRichard
AlexCuse

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

Been waiting to see this one in PA for quite a while, and the can I ended up with actually came from Virginia!

It doesn't look or smell all that special (I like a lot of hop aroma in my IPA's and a bit darker color) but when I tasted it I instantly put all that behind me. The hops are very subdued, not in-your-face like I've come to expect from some of the west coast IPA's (and the better east coast ones). I like this a lot, it makes for a more balanced brew and makes for a cleaner mouthfeel. After drinking this, I thought I'd finally found the sessionable IPA that I have been searching for for so long. Until I read the can and saw that it was 7%. I will have to be careful.

07-04-2009 02:07:23 | More by AlexCuse
ryrust5301

Louisiana

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%

Appearance - Golden sun color with an orange hue to it. Head is a tight ring of bubbles with a supple froth left on top. Lacing is the best part of the look for this one, there's no way they could have improved it. I can't seem to put my finger on it, but there's just something that keeps it from a perfect rating.

Smell - Exceptionally sweet in the nose. Maybe a little bit too over the top for my tastes, as it seems to be drenched in honey. Citrus notes do seem to wrap around the hop bitterness eventually as I get further into this one.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Not much hop bitterness here at all. Maybe that explains why the smell score was so off. Just a very gentle smattering of hops, and not much citrus flavor to speak of. Honey was drizzled in a bit, but that doesn't help much. Just doesn't really seem to be any flavor at all. Feel is light and doesn't grab at the tongue or pop in the mouth whatsoever.

Drinkability - Recently picked this up as an extra in a trade. Wasn't really what I was hoping for, as it really is a let down of an ipa. Haven't tried any of their other stuff, but this one leaves a black mark on their record.

07-02-2009 02:45:34 | More by ryrust5301
ShrLSU

Louisiana

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

This one pours a cloudy golden orange color. It has thin white halo and slight lacing on the edges. The nose is a slight bit of citrus hops and some sweet malt. The taste is a decent balance of hop and sweet malt. Pretty well balanced and there is another taste there that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe the can has something to do with it? Mouthfeel is nice, its pretty refreshing to drink not too difficult. Overall not to bad, but nothing I would seek out.

07-02-2009 02:41:17 | More by ShrLSU
aerozeppl

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Slightly hazy golden color with about a finger of white head with a nice amount of lacing. A little lighter than I like to see my IPAs.

S: Very nice west coast dominant IPA. A nice blast of citrus with orange leading the way for me. Not much else but that is the point isn't it.

T: A boringly solid IPA and that is a compliment. Nothing really sticks out but it does have a nice hop bite without any lingering bitterness. Again the citrus is there and is enjoyable.

M: Very nice balance of light while still having a touch of that wonderful syrupy feel I demand in my IPAs.

D: A really solid IPA. We are going tubing this weekend and I wish we could get a 12 pack of this to bring with us on the river. Can't have Ten Fidy all the time!

06-30-2009 21:34:21 | More by aerozeppl
LarryV

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours a cloudy yellow with minimal lacing. Aroma is citrusy hops, not much else. Taste is citrusy, grapefruit hoppiness. It's probably just me, but despite the fact I really like hoppy beers, I don't like the hoppiness of this beer at all. I think it's the type of hops that they used, but I find it a chore to drink this beer. One sixer is plenty, I have no plans to ever drink this beer again.

06-28-2009 04:19:25 | More by LarryV
twelvsies

Maine

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

21st Amendment is relatively new to the MA beer scene. A welcome addition for sure. Heard mixed reviews of this one but I'm really glad I picked it up because it's a damn fine tasty beverage. I see why some people would let themselves be let down by this - it's not a straight up west coast IPA. Much more subtle, which I happen to dig. Don't get me wrong, I love me some wrenchingly bitter hop bombs from the left coast, but it's nicely refreshing to see a well rounded drinkable beer for once coming from California. Popped the top and poured into an imperial pint, the massive head clears the top of the glass like a snowy peak. Nice. Super retention and lacing all the way down. Nose is a touch fruity with hops but there's quite a bit more going on. Lots of subtle goodness. Plenty of Noble-ish dusty earthy hop flavors and nice herbal notes. Substantial pale malt backbone. Smooth full mouthfeel. Dry and musty finish. Wow, really impressed with this beer. Well rounded, full of flavor, yet subtle and tasty all at the same time.

06-28-2009 03:31:03 | More by twelvsies
oriolesfan4

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

Got this at a store up in MA, don't believe its available in CT... $8.99 for the 6 pack of cans.

Really cool design and story on the can, props to their marketing scheme. Pours a semi see thru yellow with a nice head and good amount of lacing down the glass. Nice hoppy aroma to it. Taste is much sweeter than the average IPA, more on the light bodied side but there's just the sweetness to it that I found a little different. Not really good or bad, but different for sure. Tastes pretty balanced, but I would have preferred a bit more of a body and a better mouthfeel. Great IPA for the price and even cooler that it's in a can... give it a whirl.

06-27-2009 23:12:06 | More by oriolesfan4
erikm25

Washington

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours a copper tinted orange. A pillowing and rocky white foamed head with impressive retention. Lacing lines the glass like a sticky white curtain. Slight amber and tangerine hues and a relatively crisp body.

S: Aromas of subtle citrus and juicy watermelon. Sugary floral with pineapple undertones. Fresh but without being too overwhelming. Honey and peach zest with a toffee haze.

T: Grapefruit and citrus hops with a subtle toasted malt backbone. A fresh sweetened floral and minty clean taste. Buttery and grassy. Caramel comes through a little more as this one warms up. Only a slight bittering finish. Pretty strong at just over 7%.

M: Medium body with light carbonation.

D: This is smooth and drinkable. Antoher quality canned IPA. Glad to see this hitting the shelves in Washington and I look forward to giving other offerings from this brewery a whirl. Picked this up on the day I received the new Goatwhore album. I cant't get enough of West Coast IPA's.

06-27-2009 05:39:46 | More by erikm25
GPHarris

Alabama

had this at the brewpub after a giants-rangers baseball game.

not as hoppy as i would have thought but a good ipa nonetheless. looked really good with some hints of citrus.

they don't do flights (which i can't believe) but i also had 1/2 pints of rustico (dark brown ale), tasty (ipa) and primus (belgian pale ale) before the game.

rustico was excellent though it doesn't have a profile so i can't review it on BA.

06-26-2009 20:49:39 | More by GPHarris
strengthdoc

Connecticut

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%

Just picked up a six of this in Springfield Mass today. The box says San Francisco, but the cans list Cold Spring, MN as the brewer and canner. The aroma is mild with a flowery pine component. The color is hazy golden. The taste is fairly sweet and fruity at the beginning, you really don't get much hop flavor until the end and I would call it more of an apricot flavor. This IPA is quite unique, but complex.

06-26-2009 02:06:36 | More by strengthdoc
DiabolikDUB

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from Can into Snifter glass.

Pours a clear bright bronzed golden with a huge creamy slightly off-white head that lasts for some time before creating a heavy ring around the glass. . The nose is filled with fresh citrus and pine hops that almost smell sticky. The flavor is sweet citrus hops upfront and a little watery to a finish of toffee and a nice hop bitterness that is sweet. Its medium bodied and just a touch thin although it makes or easy drinking. I am happy to start seeing more and more offerings in cans. This is an easy drinking IPA.

06-26-2009 02:03:15 | More by DiabolikDUB
u2carew

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A) Hazy copper color. Pours with a nice frothy, big bubble head, then settles to lacing of the same.
S) WOW! Floral hop aroma, with peach, apricot, orange and some caramel.
T) Pronounced tangerine. Earthy. Malt sweetness in the form of caramel but just a touch. Some notes of cinnamon.
M) Smooth. Creamy. Medium bodied. Slight grittiness.
D) Pour me another and another and another...

06-25-2009 23:17:30 | More by u2carew