21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -6%

A-pours a slightly hazy light orange color. The head is off white, fluffy, and slightly bubbly. The retention is awesome and a lot of lace is left on my glass

S-the nose is very nice and brings a lot of tropical fruit hoppiness. Tons of grapefruit hit you and keep on punching. An underlying oily pine and a touch of malt backbone finish off the nose

T-it starts off with grapefruit and oily pine notes, the malt backbone is present but light. It is slightly toasty, earthy, hints of herbal hops and grass clippings at the back. A big hop bitterness lingers on the throat.

M-the body is medium to light and it is crisp. It's a little ruff and brings a fair amount of carbonation that burns a little at the back of the throat. It is syrupy all while being thin, strange.

D-solid ipa bringing a fair amount of hops and a big bittering presence at the finish. Defininitely a drinkable beer as it tastes and feels pretty light.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours from the can a hazy gold with a big white head with excellent staying power. Aromas are classic IPA: lots of zesty citrus and resin, with a good amount of sweet caramel notes as well. Flavor are well balanced; lime zest lingers on the finish. Am drinking it with very herby soup and spicy salami, and find it that its flavors are able to hold up and shine through even a highly flavorful meal. Top notch stuff.

2.63/5  rDev -31.9%

12 oz. can with some batch code. The label declares that the brewery is in San Francisco, but the fine print on the side says that it is made and canned in Cold Springs, MN. Interesting. It pours a clouded orange due to a botched decanting, and is topped with a thin white cap. Smells of orange, grapefruit and perhaps some pine. Pale malts, orange, aspirin, fruits and a medium bitterness on the palate. The fruity hops, penetrating sweetness and yeasty flavor remind me of a fruit beer. Tingly, fullish and a bit dry, not light and crisp like an IPA requires. This might be good with food or as a dessert, but it is too filling and way too sweet for an IPA. Not for me.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

A= pours a nice golden orange color... I saw a little sediment come from the can after I poured it which lead to some haze in the beer. A nice rocky white head stands about a half finger high and sticks around throughout the drink with some decent lacing.

S= Really fruity I guess would be a good way to describe it. Nice grapefruit notes in it. A little citrusy zest to it.

T= This beer is a little more of a let down in the taste area than the smell. The taste is still very nice and hoppy but the hops seem to be a little dirtyier if that makes sense. Not as clean an some of the world class IPAs. Still good. I would rather drink this than a lot of IPAs but not as great as the smell led on with the juicy clean hops.

M= Pretty dry suprisingly. A nice bitter lasting finish.

D= Pretty good. I like canned IPAs. This beer is definitally tasty but when you live in the land of Furious you just can't justify buying some of this. A great alternative though.

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank one of these last night after a hefty and hoppy Surly and didn't care for it... I wanted to give it a fresh start and a second try today.

A: Poured from a 12oz can into a standard pint glass. Pours honey and amber blonde with a thick and creamy head. The head dissipates fairly quick but leaves a nice cloud-like puff at the top of the glass. Lacing isn't anything special but has decent cling. Held up to the light, the brew radiates a little more golden with carbonation evident.

S: My first impression from the smell is of fresh vegetables and a slightly unpleasant ketchup-like vinegar smell. I get some pleasant undertones of floral hops and crystal malts as well though.

T: For the style, there's too much malt character at first sip. I get bittering hops but not much hop flavor as if the brewmaster decided not to do anything at the 30 and 15. In my opinion, this tastes more like a macro-brew than a craft IPA. The flavor never rounds out and an IPA lover is left smacking their lips with the taste of malt liquor in the their mouth.

MF: Heavy mouth feel for the style. Compared to the crisp smell of this brew, the mouthfeel hits me like a mouth full of nickels.

D: At 7% it's probably just a tad too high to be considered sessionable. For me, 7% makes a great session beer, (I'm 6'7" and 330 pounds though..) but I wouldn't even want to drink more than one of these at a time.

Sorry, 21st Amendment, the law did nothing for you.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

BREW FREE! OR DIE IPA is a name you would most likely expect from New Hampshire where their official state moto is "Live Free or Die". But this beer is brewed right in beatnik land.

I love that on 21st Amendment Brewery's website they tell me what malts, hops and yeast they use. Some I could guess, cascade hops are clear, some I could not. Thanks for the Beerducation 21st Amendment Brewery!

As you can probably see in the image, this is a beautiful IPA. A nice golden colour and a solid fluffy head that slowly dissipated and left beautiful lacing. When you crack the can open you are blown away by the hop aroma that escapes the can. I wondered, "how did all of the aroma fit in such a little unassuming can?" There is also a slight breadyness in the aroma, much more pronounced in the flavour though.

One sip and I'm a fan. It is not as perfect as the Green Flash West Coast IPA I drank last night though. This IPA is a bit harsher and not as complex. This is a good, big beer. The flavour is very grassy and reminds me of a dew filled morning in the Pacific North West. Hint of grapefruit, especially in the aftertaste.

Overall: enjoyable but not the best IPA Ive had

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Pours a copper rust color with a decent head that dissipates fairly quickly. Nice looking head though. Fairly cloudy with nice medium sized bubbles.

S: Nice citrus and floral hop aroma. Pretty sweet smelling. Possibly a little tart smell as well.

T: The first impression I get is that tart flavor I was smelling. I get the bitter towards the end. I like that this isn't like a lot of typical IPAs I've tried. the bitterness is not overpowering, instead the malt carries the sweetness of this brew to the end and gently hands it off to the bitter finish. Its a well crafted flavor.

M: I like the malty sweet flavor that takes over and fills the mouth. It lingers for awhile before the bitterness kicks in. I'm a little surprised to read that it is 7% ABV because, though that isn't TOO high, its up there for an IPA and I don't get any booziness from it at all. Towards the end I'm getting a feeling in my mouth like I just ate a sour apple. It has coated my mouth in a way I'm not thrilled about.

D: Although the bitterness is held at bay really well, I think that the sweet and tart flavors are a bit much by the end. I could have one or maybe two of these before wanting to move on. Overall quite tasty though, I would definitely drink this again.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

poured from can into duvel tulip

A: pours hazy orange-yellow, with a finger of off white head.
S: amazing grapefruit and a hint of lemon citrus. a light roast malt is hiding in the back row.
T: bitter grapefruit with a light sprinkle of sugar over it, only not acidic. not overly bitter hops, malt gives a good sweet background.
M: smooth lightly coating, with medium to light carbonation
D: very drinkable, wish it wasnt just a single.

4.13/5  rDev +7%

Poured from 12oz can into a clear glass snifter. No freshness date. Purchased as 6-pack at Market Street Wineshop (Charlottesville, VA) for $8.96.

A: Orange-amber with whopper 2-finger orange-beige head leaving huge lace formations.

S: Big citrus and pine hops presence with respectable caramel, biscuit malt backing

T: A really enjoyable beer that is hops-centric but with great maltiness too. The maltiness lends a biscuit quality which is a bit too heavy in this brew and downsizes the large citric, pine hoppiness. The aftertaste is citrus and long.

M: The feel is good for the style with medium body and low carbonation. Coating quality is there and give this brew smoothness despite the near-astringent citric hoppiness.

D: A sessionable but flavorful IPA with good feel and nice West Coast hoppiness with solid malting. Great beer.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

21st Amendment IPA

Appearance: A deep bronze in color with a sticky, creamy head that provides alot of lacing on the glass.

Smell: A very fruity nose that boasts hints of tropical fruit, citrus and strawberry. Bready malt is also apparent in the aroma.

Taste: Well balanced flavors. Roasted malt and some bitter hops. Malt is nutty and really compliments the citrus rind quality of the hops. I get some fruit too bordering on strawberry and mango, as odd as it seems the yeast/malt interaction is profound.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This one goes down oh so smooth and is medium to full bodied for an IPA. I could easily make a night of drinking this beer, it is quite excellent.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Look: Light copper color, thick head that hung out with uber-good lacing!

Smell: Huge citrus hop aroma, light malt

Taste: Up Front: Very malty, orange. Finish: Less malt, slight graininess, lemon

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low carbonation, a little cloying at the end

Drinkability: Smooth and mellow

Overall Impression: I like the beer, but I felt it was a bit unbalanced; leaning too much to the malty side, and that also led to the cloying finish. Still it was quite tasty, and I think Newbeez might enjoy this one a lot

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Don't know why but love good beer in a can.

Pours a a nice orange color, clear with a big rocky two and half finger cream colored head that falls all so slow and laces well.

Aroma is nice mmm hops pine jumps right out front backed by floral and citrus notes, while hoppy not overly so. Malty is noted in nose as well dry biscuit variety.

Taste is well more malty then the aromas chewy biscuits up front and thru out really, says on can got a good malt backbone and it does. Where are my 70 IBU's seems little under hopped for the amount of malt present but might be crazy hop lover in me bitching. Over all flavor is good hops seem more citrus in flavor with touch of floral lingering pine shows up in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium nice level of carbonation for me.

Drinkability maybe being little critical still a decent beer and in a can to boot, worth a try on those days you want a maltier IPA.

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

A - Pours a nice fairly vibrant orange. Fair amount of carbonation with pretty massive bubbles. Huge frothy head(pouring from a can is a lot more difficult) that's already sticking. Leaves some minor lacing.

S - Some pine and leafy hop aromas upfront. There's just a slight dankness, but it's so light that it's difficult to tell if I even caught it. Some light bready notes in the background. Everything is fairly subdued, though, and really lacks any oomph.

T - I'm not sure how fresh of a can this is, but considering 21st Amendment only recently came into the market, I'm going to assume it's fresh. Off the bat there's just a ton, and in my opinion way too much, toasted, bready malt. I love it in some lager styles, but I just don't think it fits as well here. Leafy, vegetative hops are there, but they seem to be on equal footing with the malt, if that. Definitely doesn't seem like 70 IBUs, but I guess that's from the substantial malt backbone.

MF - Decent carbonation and fairly full bodied. Slightly sticky on the finish.

D - Pretty good. It has a nice flavor profile and is atleast a bit different. Overall, it's good, but just lacking quite a bit as an IPA.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a tulip pint: 2 fingers of lumpy, sudsy head over light-gold-yellow body, clear. Lots of bubbles lining the glass, once in a while one escapes & makes a fast break.

Smell is like hop pellets: piney, resiny, citric, dank, just a little catty, just a little like tobacco. Great hop smell. Catching just a little malty sugar.

Sweeter than I would've guessed, like an Arnold Palmer with some more sugar dropped in it. Some hop bitterness, but nothing like I would've expected from the smell. I like the taste that way, though I miss the dryness I'd like to have. Tea-like.

Mouthfeel is not nearly as active as I'd expect, either. Smooth, but just kind of lays there. Easy drinking, but has almost no "bite" or "snap" in the finish. I'm surprised I'm typing this, but I actually miss the abrasive qualities I've grown accustomed to in an IPA.

All in all an easy-drinking IPA with a pretty remarkable aroma. Kind of torn about the smooth quaffability -- on one hand I resent IPAs that are more challenging, but I guess I've come to respect it as well. This is definitely good, but different. Would not peg this as West Coast at all.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Pours a nice, golden orange color with a fluffy two fingers of head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Citrus and hops--predominantly grapefruit and lemon peel. A bit spicy. There's also some bready malt notes, but they're below the surface of this brew.

Taste: Quite hoppy, particularly in the aftertaste, which is deliciously bitter. There's sugary notes here--particularly banana and caramel, which mix in nicely. A very distinctive brew. Bitter citrus blends throughout. A bit of malts, but the hops definitely dominate.

Mouthfeel: Good, a very strong and long-lasting hop aftertaste. I have no complaints (?!) about carbonation here--it's nicely done, but doesn't jump out at me as something spectacular, either.

Drinkability: I would have thought from drinking this that the ABV was more like a 9% than a 7%. It's not BAD drinkability but it's not wonderful, either. The taste keeps me coming back, and it's a solid brew.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a can into a a stemmed glass.

The color is a really cloudy orange with three big fingers of foamy white head that are leaving a bit of lacing on the glass.

The smell is up front hoppy with some grapefruit and a bit of a tart lemon flavor. There is a serious punch of orange that comes and stays in the middle of the aroma.

The taste is has a good orange peel at first, once the orange goes down there is a tart lemon flavor that hits on the back end. Hop bitterness is all over this beer with a little of what might be Columbus hops and it really pleasing for a hop head.

The feel is well laid back and and does not feel like things are too hard on the pallet. There is a bit of an aftertaste that does linger but does quickly dissipate off the tongue. A really good IPA.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden orange with a slight haze and three fingers of dense, pillowy ivory head. Appetizing.

Smell: a slightly grainy malt, plus a fair helping of hops of a funky and spicy character.

Taste: again, a slightly grainy malt with big hops. The hops here are also a bit floral on top of the funkiness, though this may just be an effect of the sweetness of the malt helping out that characteristic. It's not bad, but the flavors are not well-integrated; the graininess just does nothing to help these hops.

Mouthfeel: medium body with little carbonation. It works, but doesn't really do it for me.

Drinkability: this beer is alright, but it could be more drinkable if the ABV were toned down a bit and if a smoother malt flavor were present.

4.4/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

it's been awhile, but a unfortunately good opportunities to review are few and far between. bought and drank Feb 2010 in Cambridge, MA.

pours a hazy, barely translucent orangey-brown golden -perhaps auburn.. reminds me of a fall day. slightly off-white head is substantial, but various size bubbles, looks not too dense, and dies quickly to leave quite nice lace.

spicy hop is on the nose, a bit of sweetness and some citrus. mostly powered well by what i would describe as a sweet green leafy hop smell.

good balance overall - heavy toward the hop end, of course, but in a great way. good sweetness (maybe a touch of pineapple?) balanced with strong green hop flavor in the middle and strong but not harsh bitter end. bitterness lingers substantially, but isn't uncomfortable. overall a bit too much fruity-sweetness for me, but that's being quite picky.. very good overall.

I generally have an issue with the mouth feel of beers, and I'd have to say this one is quite good. nicely carbonated, not too thick or thin,

I keep coming back, that's what counts! hides 7% very well, just enough lingering flavor to draw you back, but not too much.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Typical IPA color, maybe a shade or two darker. Big 'ol thick white head that leaves a lot of sticky lace. Just the slightest bit unfiltered and lots of upward cascading carbonation.

S - Pretty much all hops but they smell VERY fresh and very much fruity...apple, pear, and pineapple come to mind.

T- Again, lots of good hops here but a little less on the citrus flavors...they go a little more towards the grassy/earthy taste but they finish as they smell. The light malt flavor is present at the end.

M/D - Pretty light body but surprisingly smooth considering all the bubbles in the glass. Not a dry finish at all and it has a fantastic aftertaste. Super easy to drink and it comes in a can so it adds to the coolness factor.

4.93/5  rDev +27.7%

Craft beer in a can, beautiful head, aroma immediate once opened. Wonderful citrus flavored without to much hops, finishes awesome with a great bitterness. Craft beer in a can, old school back in fashion? You can find this beer in several states now, all this from a micro-brew pub from San Francisco! Can't wait to see what's next from 21st Amendment Brewery and Pub.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

After being against cans initially I've grown to like them. Same beer just a different container that's cost effective (in theory) for both parties.

A: Poured into a pint glass the most admirable quality is the nice foamy head, doesn't appear to have as much carbonation as the head would indicate. A really pale clear caramel colored body. Lacing is not optional, in full force here.

S: Sweet on the nose with not a lot of depth, but the citrus notes. If there is one fruit I'm pulling out of this one it is tangerine. The malt in this one is bready.

T: I found this one a bit underwhelming. It starts out real crisp with some cracker like grain. Midway through it's pretty sweet, tangerine and pretty tropical. The finish is the biggest weakness of this beer. The bitterness is really dialed down, not that it has to be big, but no hophead will have a giant crush on this beer. The ABV is big and alcohol is masked with all the sweetness going on.

M: This isn't very lush. It's medium bodied at best, but doesn't do the best job of lingering around or casually sliding down the tongue.

D: One hell of a nose, these seem reasonably priced but in a large market. Everyone wants the next best IPA.

Poured from can into Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a copperish color with about 1 finger of head which maintained quite nicely throughout the drink.

Smell: Citrus and floral hops with subtle pine notes.

Taste: Grapefruit bitterness, not over the top bitter, but balanced with the malt. Slightly resiney.

Mouthfeel: Light, clean and refreshing.

Drinkability: My first beer from 21st Amendment and I'm very impressed with this. Very tasty beer that won't kill your palate, but still give you a hop kick.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Yellow, with a hoppy head. Wasn't paying much attention as I was busy with other things.

S- Good smell, hoppy and sweet. Nice brews.

T- I was getting a good hop taste and bitter/sweet hoppyness. I was also getting a good honey taste as well. Nice over all taste, clean and refreshing.

M- Good mouthfeel, feels like an IPA for sure.

D- Easy to drink. So easy I drank one out of the can. Take that glass man!

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

After suffering through their other offering let's hope this one is better.
Fresh hop aroma with slight citrus and green hops. Mild malt background. Nice.
Smallish frothy head. Golden amber and quite clear.
A little soft on overall flavor, but a nice drinker. More balanced than many in style and the bitterness is not overpowering or too dominant. Nice sweetness upfront. The malty flavor (mildly fruit and fairly sweet) stays throughout the drink. A little citrus in the hops.
A little light, but not too much.
Drinks well and easily. I'm fond of the sweetness in this drink and it's persistence.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

a - moderately cloudy light orange/amber body with large rocky white head which retains well. Slightly more hazy than most in the style. This could be due to chill haze.

s- floral and citric notes. A slight spiciness in the background. Highly volatile.

t - prominent american hops. The finish has piney, floral and citrus flavors. At 70 IBU's there is a distinct bitterness in the aftertaste. This is a good example of the style, however; it could be a little less bitter on the finish.

m- slightly astringent. not much alcohol warming at all. medium body.

d - i hate this category. Let's just say I'm not disappointed and it is worth the money.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery