21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz can, served in a standard pint glass

A - pours a thin layer of loose bubbly just slightly off white foam. the beer is somewhat hazy, a bright golden color sitting still in the glass.

S - very sweet, hops come off as candied pineapple, orange sugar candy, and mango. assertive light caramel malt underneath for balance.

T - sharp grapefruit ad orange peel, bitter and very grassy...almost as if the hops are on their way down.

M- very light body, carbonation is a tad hot and prickly, a bit distracting. finishes with some lingering piney bitterness.

D - thought it was MUCH better off the tap, dont think this can is old, just a bit watery and overcarbonated, one dimensional.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

A little background: While I've been a beer aficionado for over 30 years, my experience with true craft brewing is nowhere near that of most reviewers here. My "go to" brew for at least a decade has been Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and I still thoroughly enjoy SNPA. Recently I've been happily downing numerous cans of Dale's Pale after spying it at my local store. And I've been experimenting with a number of more assertive, hop-oriented styles, including Double and Imperial IPAs.

I found this particular IPA quite tasty. Beautiful golden color, nice citrus notes, plenty of hops (but not overbearing), and eminently drinkable. Look forward to doing a head-to-head with this and Dale's.

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First off, this was my first time drinking craft beer from a can. Poured a pale golden color into standard pint glass. Very nice head and w/ sticky lacing. Ok, if you blindfolded me, I might think this was Labatt Blue. This beer did not remind me of an IPA at all. It even has a tinny metallic taste which I'm assuming is from the can. Hops were not present. A bit watery, truly reminds me of BMC, but I'll give it more credit than that.

At 7% the beer does it's job. I'll give it credit for being different in the IPA category but there is no way this beer comes close to touching all of our favorite American IPAs. If anything this could be a Pale Ale. I unfortunately can't recommend this one to a hophead. This could be a great "gateway" beer though.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a nice, rich gold with a huge white head that laces great. Mild smell of grassy, wheaty hops and a bit of malt behind it.
Tastes mostly of hops, lots of grass, hay, and a bit of citrus behind it. The malts are there, just muted a bit. Not an overly sweet beer, slight caramel notes blend well with the hops. Lingering hop bite as well. Decent rich mouthfeel with a nice level of carbonation. Very easy to drink after a lawn mowing session.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Can, thanks to mntlover, pours a mostly clear golden amber body with a lavish offwhite head that rises to three fingers. Good retention and abundant patchy lace.

Aroma is a bit subdued, but features grapefruit and grassy hops, a hint of tropical fruit, and toasty caramel malt.

Mouthfeel has a medium body and carbonation and a nice creamy texture.

Very tasty. Pink grapefruit with a hint of apricot adds a mild tropical sweetness to the firm caramel malt backbone. Grassy hops balance nicely but the bitterness is very understated. Finishes clean and even.

Very tasty and highly drinkable. I would call it an American Pale Ale instead of an IPA, but why quibble?

A- Pours golden orange color with a thick and creamy head. Head quickly goes away, forming a thin layer of bubbles, and leaves some nice ringed lacing.

S- Smells pretty solid and just like I expected. A nice smell of tropical fruits hits me, a bit of pine and some bread like malts to balance things out.

T- Follows the nose pretty well. Starts off pretty bitter, nice citrus hops and also piney. A nice malt back bone in here too. Pretty solid brew for sure.

M- Medium in body and carbonation seemed right on too.

D- So far only had this one once. I found this one pretty easy to drink and would hit this one up again.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Gotta love craft beer in a can. Saw this little brown wrapped sixer in one of my favorite stores and couldn't resist. The weather is hot...time for a nice IPA.

A-Slightly veiled bright golden orange amber with a puffy creamy head that laces very nicely.

S-Citrus and pine hops here as well as a strong caramel malt backbone detected. Does not smell like 70 IBUS, but pleasing nonetheless.

T-The citrus hops detected in the nose are present in the initial taste, but are drop kicked to the background by an unusual amount of malts. This tastes almost like a Belgian IPA, but seems a little too malty for the style. Don't get me wrong...a solid brew in its own right, but not necessarily the thing to get your hop fix on.

M-Medium mouthfeel and well balanced overall.

D-This is pretty drinkable and a little offbeat, but not exactly what I am looking for in an IPA. For the same price I can grab a pack of Racer 5, or if I want cans, some Dales. Interesting though, and may revisit some time again in the future.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Reviewing this one as I sip on it....

Poured form the can into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. Pour generates a pretty sizeable foamy head. The aroma is just OK - which is kind of how I feel about this beer in general. Picked them up in a trade at DLD and its' good, but IMO can't touch some of the more readily available IPA that I can get my hands on much more easily (such as Bells Two Hearted...).

Flavor has a nice bitterness to it, but overall I'm not all that impressed.

Its OK, but I probably wouldn't buy this again if I had the chance... do love canned craft beer though! Let's keep this trend going!

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Great fluffy beige and amber appearance with some of the best lacing I've ever seen from a canned beer.

Smell and taste is much fruitier than I would have expected, doubt its the can. A little Belgian feel to it, in a good way.

Mouthfeel, very straight forward other than the feel of the Belgian yeast, very easy to drink for the style and alcohol level. Gets extra drinkability points for being able to sneak it into football/baseball games.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Still not use to drinking craft beer from a can.
This beer definately tasted better in a glass than in the can. Pours a nice golden orange with a big puffy head. Aroma is light citrus, grapefruit, a little hops. Taste is ok. Its an average IPA flavor hop forward with some grapefruit to balance it. Its an easy drinker,and goes down well. I suppose if you had to drink from a can, this is a good choice. But at 10.50 a sixer, there are a lot of better IPA's out there for a lot cheaper.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

A - light amber color with a small fluffy white head that leaves little lacing.

S - light citrus. sadly the smell of metal is in there too

T - Decidedly average. Light citrus/floral hops but nicely balanced with the malts. Carbonation is present but not overwhelming.

D - goes down well enough

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Pours a clear caramel color with a moderate foamy head.

S: A light fruity hop aroma, but not much else going on.

T: Quite malty for a beer that boasts 70 IBUs. Evenly-balanced with some sugary residual sweetness and a citric hops taste. Some lingering bitterness reminds that it's an IPA.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. A bit chalky on the palate.

D: Not spectacular, but a solid IPA. Worth a try.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Light amber hue. Frothy white head into a pint glass. Slight lacing around the edges.

Smell: Light citrus hops.

Taste: Smooth and mild IPA. The hops and malt are very balanced, and they mask the abv of this bad boy extremely well. Unlike many West Coast IPA's there is not the huge bitter aftertaste, but a clean sweeter malt finish.

Mouthfeel: Mildly carbonated, smooth and creamy with a medium body.

Drinkability: A very drinkable IPA! Mild compared to other west coast styles, and its even 7% abv. If you like Pale Ales and are just trying out IPA's, this is a great one to start with. Not my favorite, but I would easily and joyfully drink one after another on a summer day.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

12 oz can, 7%abv, 70 IBU. Pours a clear lighter copper color. Good looking rocky head. Very nice head retention and lace.

Citrusy hop aroma, with some pale and faint caramel malt. A bit biscuity.

Pale malt in the front, with a hit of caramel. Slightly toasty. Citrusy hops blend in, with a faint spicy character.

Medium body with very fine carbonation. Balanced more like a pale ale, as the hops seem to have a hard time standing up to the malt. Alcohol is well hidden. Pretty enjoyable.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

This poured clear gold with moderate off-white head. It smelled like faint pine and citrus hops, with some light caramel malt. It tasted like pine and orange hops with nice caramel/honey malt. It was somewhat thick with a little carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a weak scent, but a surprisingly good clean taste that was well balanced and sweet. It had good body also, and was easy to drink. This isn't a top IPA, but it's better than average.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

I originally bought the beer because it was in a can and looks cool. Luckily the beer also tastes really good.

The IPA is strong but not over-powering. It reminds me a lot of my own homebrews when I'm doing an IPA. The beer has very little heard, but makes up for the mouthfeel with a very tasty finish that almost feels like a bit of fruit at the end.

I highly recommend and think the can is a thoroughly great vessel for this beer.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured 12oz can into snifter. 1st off when I crack a can all I can think of is slamin' down a Keystone Light from the college years.

A - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow color with a nice white two finger head that dissipates to a covering creating a spattered lacing down the glass that sticks throughout the drinking.

S - A bit different. Grassy, piney, citrusy maybe even metallicy.

T - A bit different once again. Light citrus with bitterness that is almost skunklike. Maybe even a bit metalic even.

M - Very light and crisp carbonation.

D - Different for an IPA. I had 1 a couple weeks ago from the same 6-pack that I enjoyed quite a bit more but didn't get to review. I don't know if it is starting to take on some sort of metallic taste as it aged a couple weeks.

Edit: Much better chilled. I had this one during the review a little too warm. When it is chilled a bit more it is very good.

2.19/5  rDev -43.3%

Can, poured into a mug. Thanks stoutsnipas for this one.

Golden color, large white head, average retention, no lacing.
Aroma is grassy and citric hops, some biscuits underlying.
Mouthfeel is very watery, and the flavor, which is mostly citrusy hops, feels watered down too, for some reason. I already though this was a bit weak, but now reviewing, I found out this is 7% ABV, which makes it even weaker.
This one is a miss.

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

This beer poured a nice copper/orange color with an impressive fluffy white head that has definitely decided to stick around. Nice lacing too.

This beer smells odd for an Ipa. Has a sweet fruity aroma that is reminding me more of a Belgian than an Ipa. Somewhat metallic even.

This almost taste like a Belgian Ipa to me. And the metallic smell definitely carries over into the taste.

Good medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

I could drink a couple of these, but not too many.

Morey's Bottom Line: Considering that this beer was in a can, it shouldn't be skunked. No light could have got in, and I don't think that it's too old either. Something just seems a bit off here. This is my first crack at the beer, so I may be editing this review in the future. For now, this is not my favorite Ipa.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Golden amber with a nice off white head.

S: Hops, Nice nice citrus, oranges, and a little grass in there. Malt brings up the rear. Smells fairly well balanced.

T: Hops come up first, citrus and maybe a hint of tropical fruit sweetness. This sweetness works its way to the malt flavor, and combines for one very balanced beer. Lovely. Not a shock to the tongue, not a bitter bomb.

M: It works for me.

D: I think it has a good flavor, and a nice balance. I think hopheads would say it is not bitter enough. I could see enjoying a few of these on a summer day, but all in all a little forgettable.

This beer reminds me an awful lot of 90 Minute. Which is a good thing. Plenty of hops and malt with a little sweetness. A good beer and not over expensive. My first 21st Amendment beer and it looking like a good choice. With the amount of alcohol this almost qualifies as a double IPA.

3.81/5  rDev -1.3%

Serving glass: Poured from can into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Mostly clear light orange with foamy off-white head and concentric circles of lacing down the glass.

Smell: Mango, grapefruit, orange and light pine - fairly sweet aroma overall, but slightly sickly for some reason.

Taste: Very strong sweet grapefruit and mango upfront and then becomes a little more balanced with light toasted malts, pine and an overall spiciness. However, there is something a little strange about the hop taste.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body. Hop oils are evident and the beer is quite warming for a standard IPA, a little more so than desired. Not quite as dry as expected.

Drinkability: Overall, this is a massive onslaught of hops for a standard IPA. While this does make for an appealing beer, it slightly dampens drinkability.

3.9/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Medium gold pour with nice fluffy 2-finger head. Nice retention and very nice lacing.

Nose is very intense. Extremely fruity, more pineapple than grapefruit. Very nice.

Hits with a slight hop bite. Gets very fruity in the middle with lots of citrus. Ever slightly resiny. Finish disappoints with less than expected bitters. Does finish dry.

Missing some body to match the hop flavor.

Easy enough to drink, but there are better choices out there for a citrusy ipa.

Thanks to my good friend Mike for this beer that I've never even heard of, much less sampled.

A - An aggressive pour yielded a foamy two finger off-white head that had excellent retention and left spotty lacing down the inside of my glass. The body of the brew is a hazy orange/amber color, typical of an IPA.

S - Nice citrus hop aroma, not overwhelming but certainly well represented in the nose. Also a bit of sweet malt lingering around in there.

T & M - The 70 IBU's of citrusy hops play well with sweet malt. This is not by any means a hop-bomb, which is fine by me. Medium bodied and creamy mouthfeel. It actually finishes fairly clean...not with a huge bitter aftertaste like many IPA's.

D - Drinkability is extremely high, I find that I've consumed almost the whole glass by the end of my review. It's supposed to be 7% ABV but it seems much lower, the alcohol is so well masked. If this were offered in the area, I would be a regular. An excellent brew I will recommend to all of my friends.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Last pick at my last visit to the stag's head in NYC.

the name's so long when spelled out it seemed like fine print rather than a menu option on the...menu.

Plus the can presentation was fairly unusual.

Still, poured a nice golden hue with a medium white head, not too compact but definetly held for a while.

Smell is a slight skunked malty one at first, some hops right afterwards. uneventful.

Taste very much along the lines of a strengthened american pale ale, a soft malt sweetness feel with a slight yeasty background and a rounding hop finish, with a medium body and a good amount of carbonation.

Not a bad beer, but not prone to becoming one of my regulars.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery