21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
3.41/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Pours a clear caramel color with a moderate foamy head.

S: A light fruity hop aroma, but not much else going on.

T: Quite malty for a beer that boasts 70 IBUs. Evenly-balanced with some sugary residual sweetness and a citric hops taste. Some lingering bitterness reminds that it's an IPA.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. A bit chalky on the palate.

D: Not spectacular, but a solid IPA. Worth a try.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Light amber hue. Frothy white head into a pint glass. Slight lacing around the edges.

Smell: Light citrus hops.

Taste: Smooth and mild IPA. The hops and malt are very balanced, and they mask the abv of this bad boy extremely well. Unlike many West Coast IPA's there is not the huge bitter aftertaste, but a clean sweeter malt finish.

Mouthfeel: Mildly carbonated, smooth and creamy with a medium body.

Drinkability: A very drinkable IPA! Mild compared to other west coast styles, and its even 7% abv. If you like Pale Ales and are just trying out IPA's, this is a great one to start with. Not my favorite, but I would easily and joyfully drink one after another on a summer day.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

12 oz can, 7%abv, 70 IBU. Pours a clear lighter copper color. Good looking rocky head. Very nice head retention and lace.

Citrusy hop aroma, with some pale and faint caramel malt. A bit biscuity.

Pale malt in the front, with a hit of caramel. Slightly toasty. Citrusy hops blend in, with a faint spicy character.

Medium body with very fine carbonation. Balanced more like a pale ale, as the hops seem to have a hard time standing up to the malt. Alcohol is well hidden. Pretty enjoyable.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

This poured clear gold with moderate off-white head. It smelled like faint pine and citrus hops, with some light caramel malt. It tasted like pine and orange hops with nice caramel/honey malt. It was somewhat thick with a little carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a weak scent, but a surprisingly good clean taste that was well balanced and sweet. It had good body also, and was easy to drink. This isn't a top IPA, but it's better than average.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

I originally bought the beer because it was in a can and looks cool. Luckily the beer also tastes really good.

The IPA is strong but not over-powering. It reminds me a lot of my own homebrews when I'm doing an IPA. The beer has very little heard, but makes up for the mouthfeel with a very tasty finish that almost feels like a bit of fruit at the end.

I highly recommend and think the can is a thoroughly great vessel for this beer.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured 12oz can into snifter. 1st off when I crack a can all I can think of is slamin' down a Keystone Light from the college years.

A - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow color with a nice white two finger head that dissipates to a covering creating a spattered lacing down the glass that sticks throughout the drinking.

S - A bit different. Grassy, piney, citrusy maybe even metallicy.

T - A bit different once again. Light citrus with bitterness that is almost skunklike. Maybe even a bit metalic even.

M - Very light and crisp carbonation.

D - Different for an IPA. I had 1 a couple weeks ago from the same 6-pack that I enjoyed quite a bit more but didn't get to review. I don't know if it is starting to take on some sort of metallic taste as it aged a couple weeks.

Edit: Much better chilled. I had this one during the review a little too warm. When it is chilled a bit more it is very good.

2.19/5  rDev -43.3%

Can, poured into a mug. Thanks stoutsnipas for this one.

Golden color, large white head, average retention, no lacing.
Aroma is grassy and citric hops, some biscuits underlying.
Mouthfeel is very watery, and the flavor, which is mostly citrusy hops, feels watered down too, for some reason. I already though this was a bit weak, but now reviewing, I found out this is 7% ABV, which makes it even weaker.
This one is a miss.

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

This beer poured a nice copper/orange color with an impressive fluffy white head that has definitely decided to stick around. Nice lacing too.

This beer smells odd for an Ipa. Has a sweet fruity aroma that is reminding me more of a Belgian than an Ipa. Somewhat metallic even.

This almost taste like a Belgian Ipa to me. And the metallic smell definitely carries over into the taste.

Good medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

I could drink a couple of these, but not too many.

Morey's Bottom Line: Considering that this beer was in a can, it shouldn't be skunked. No light could have got in, and I don't think that it's too old either. Something just seems a bit off here. This is my first crack at the beer, so I may be editing this review in the future. For now, this is not my favorite Ipa.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Golden amber with a nice off white head.

S: Hops, Nice nice citrus, oranges, and a little grass in there. Malt brings up the rear. Smells fairly well balanced.

T: Hops come up first, citrus and maybe a hint of tropical fruit sweetness. This sweetness works its way to the malt flavor, and combines for one very balanced beer. Lovely. Not a shock to the tongue, not a bitter bomb.

M: It works for me.

D: I think it has a good flavor, and a nice balance. I think hopheads would say it is not bitter enough. I could see enjoying a few of these on a summer day, but all in all a little forgettable.

This beer reminds me an awful lot of 90 Minute. Which is a good thing. Plenty of hops and malt with a little sweetness. A good beer and not over expensive. My first 21st Amendment beer and it looking like a good choice. With the amount of alcohol this almost qualifies as a double IPA.

3.81/5  rDev -1.3%

Serving glass: Poured from can into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Mostly clear light orange with foamy off-white head and concentric circles of lacing down the glass.

Smell: Mango, grapefruit, orange and light pine - fairly sweet aroma overall, but slightly sickly for some reason.

Taste: Very strong sweet grapefruit and mango upfront and then becomes a little more balanced with light toasted malts, pine and an overall spiciness. However, there is something a little strange about the hop taste.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body. Hop oils are evident and the beer is quite warming for a standard IPA, a little more so than desired. Not quite as dry as expected.

Drinkability: Overall, this is a massive onslaught of hops for a standard IPA. While this does make for an appealing beer, it slightly dampens drinkability.

3.9/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Medium gold pour with nice fluffy 2-finger head. Nice retention and very nice lacing.

Nose is very intense. Extremely fruity, more pineapple than grapefruit. Very nice.

Hits with a slight hop bite. Gets very fruity in the middle with lots of citrus. Ever slightly resiny. Finish disappoints with less than expected bitters. Does finish dry.

Missing some body to match the hop flavor.

Easy enough to drink, but there are better choices out there for a citrusy ipa.

Thanks to my good friend Mike for this beer that I've never even heard of, much less sampled.

A - An aggressive pour yielded a foamy two finger off-white head that had excellent retention and left spotty lacing down the inside of my glass. The body of the brew is a hazy orange/amber color, typical of an IPA.

S - Nice citrus hop aroma, not overwhelming but certainly well represented in the nose. Also a bit of sweet malt lingering around in there.

T & M - The 70 IBU's of citrusy hops play well with sweet malt. This is not by any means a hop-bomb, which is fine by me. Medium bodied and creamy mouthfeel. It actually finishes fairly clean...not with a huge bitter aftertaste like many IPA's.

D - Drinkability is extremely high, I find that I've consumed almost the whole glass by the end of my review. It's supposed to be 7% ABV but it seems much lower, the alcohol is so well masked. If this were offered in the area, I would be a regular. An excellent brew I will recommend to all of my friends.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Last pick at my last visit to the stag's head in NYC.

the name's so long when spelled out it seemed like fine print rather than a menu option on the...menu.

Plus the can presentation was fairly unusual.

Still, poured a nice golden hue with a medium white head, not too compact but definetly held for a while.

Smell is a slight skunked malty one at first, some hops right afterwards. uneventful.

Taste very much along the lines of a strengthened american pale ale, a soft malt sweetness feel with a slight yeasty background and a rounding hop finish, with a medium body and a good amount of carbonation.

Not a bad beer, but not prone to becoming one of my regulars.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with 2 fingers of thick, yellowish head with fair retension supported by rising bubbles of carbonation. Decent amount of lace clings all around the glassware. Aroma of this beer is a mix of citrus hops and some malt sweetness that almost seems sugary or candy-like. Hops present themselves with scents of citrus like grapefruit, grass and herbs. The hop taste is nearly identical to what the aroma led on. The hops are not just bitter but have a nice depth of flavor that is herbal and grassy. A little bit of alcohol warmth comes through in the finish and increases as it gets warmer. Finish of the beer is mostly a resine-like and oil bitterness from the hops. Medium feel with modest carbonation level. Overall it is not bad, all together it is put together quite well.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Purchased from 3 Corners Liquor in Medford, MN. Pours a dark golden straw body with a thick, pillowy white head of foam. Big citrus hop aroma with some fruity yeast esters. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. Initial flavors are sweet and grainy with a low-medium bitterness at mid tongue and an overall sweet finish. 70 IBUs as the can proclaims are nowhere to be found. Okay drinkability, but a big disappointment for an IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can poured into nonic pint glass.

The beer offers an amber color; shadow fingers on the other side of the glass, so, it's close to opaque, but not quite.

The bittering units are incredible. Their presence was one of the first things I noticed, so I decided to look on the can for the possibility that their quantity would be mentioned. The can lists 70 IBU's! From what I've heard, that's about 7 times the amount found in a light beer.

The lacing and head retention is quite impressive. I'm 3/4's of the way into this brew and I've still got a half inch of head hanging around. It's happy, and is showing no signing of giving in.

The smell is profound. I closed my eyes and racked my brain trying to pin point the ingredients. The smell reminds me of the hybrid juices my grandmother used to keep in the fridge. Pineapple & grapefruit is coming out to the delight of anyone around.

The taste is extremely bitter, with a malty character following the initial notes. This IPA definitely has a uniqueness about it. The brewer certainly made a point of bringing out hops & malts to create a more complex set of abrasive contents. Cheers!

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

I picked up a six-pack of this beer for the weekend, and I have to give it to their marketing department, because it was the packaging that got me. As for the taste and the price though, I am not a fan. Sure it's a good IPA, but it's not up there with other IPAs for the same price, like Stone or Digfish Head. At least that's my opinion. It has a strange bitter aftertaste that I really do not like at all, and over all not as hoppy that I would want in an IPA. Overall it's good, and I wouldn't turn one down if it were handed to me, but I don't think I would buy another six pack again, even though the packaging is pretty cool.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

A-pours a slightly hazy light orange color. The head is off white, fluffy, and slightly bubbly. The retention is awesome and a lot of lace is left on my glass

S-the nose is very nice and brings a lot of tropical fruit hoppiness. Tons of grapefruit hit you and keep on punching. An underlying oily pine and a touch of malt backbone finish off the nose

T-it starts off with grapefruit and oily pine notes, the malt backbone is present but light. It is slightly toasty, earthy, hints of herbal hops and grass clippings at the back. A big hop bitterness lingers on the throat.

M-the body is medium to light and it is crisp. It's a little ruff and brings a fair amount of carbonation that burns a little at the back of the throat. It is syrupy all while being thin, strange.

D-solid ipa bringing a fair amount of hops and a big bittering presence at the finish. Defininitely a drinkable beer as it tastes and feels pretty light.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours from the can a hazy gold with a big white head with excellent staying power. Aromas are classic IPA: lots of zesty citrus and resin, with a good amount of sweet caramel notes as well. Flavor are well balanced; lime zest lingers on the finish. Am drinking it with very herby soup and spicy salami, and find it that its flavors are able to hold up and shine through even a highly flavorful meal. Top notch stuff.

2.65/5  rDev -31.3%

12 oz. can with some batch code. The label declares that the brewery is in San Francisco, but the fine print on the side says that it is made and canned in Cold Springs, MN. Interesting. It pours a clouded orange due to a botched decanting, and is topped with a thin white cap. Smells of orange, grapefruit and perhaps some pine. Pale malts, orange, aspirin, fruits and a medium bitterness on the palate. The fruity hops, penetrating sweetness and yeasty flavor remind me of a fruit beer. Tingly, fullish and a bit dry, not light and crisp like an IPA requires. This might be good with food or as a dessert, but it is too filling and way too sweet for an IPA. Not for me.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

A= pours a nice golden orange color... I saw a little sediment come from the can after I poured it which lead to some haze in the beer. A nice rocky white head stands about a half finger high and sticks around throughout the drink with some decent lacing.

S= Really fruity I guess would be a good way to describe it. Nice grapefruit notes in it. A little citrusy zest to it.

T= This beer is a little more of a let down in the taste area than the smell. The taste is still very nice and hoppy but the hops seem to be a little dirtyier if that makes sense. Not as clean an some of the world class IPAs. Still good. I would rather drink this than a lot of IPAs but not as great as the smell led on with the juicy clean hops.

M= Pretty dry suprisingly. A nice bitter lasting finish.

D= Pretty good. I like canned IPAs. This beer is definitally tasty but when you live in the land of Furious you just can't justify buying some of this. A great alternative though.

2.86/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank one of these last night after a hefty and hoppy Surly and didn't care for it... I wanted to give it a fresh start and a second try today.

A: Poured from a 12oz can into a standard pint glass. Pours honey and amber blonde with a thick and creamy head. The head dissipates fairly quick but leaves a nice cloud-like puff at the top of the glass. Lacing isn't anything special but has decent cling. Held up to the light, the brew radiates a little more golden with carbonation evident.

S: My first impression from the smell is of fresh vegetables and a slightly unpleasant ketchup-like vinegar smell. I get some pleasant undertones of floral hops and crystal malts as well though.

T: For the style, there's too much malt character at first sip. I get bittering hops but not much hop flavor as if the brewmaster decided not to do anything at the 30 and 15. In my opinion, this tastes more like a macro-brew than a craft IPA. The flavor never rounds out and an IPA lover is left smacking their lips with the taste of malt liquor in the their mouth.

MF: Heavy mouth feel for the style. Compared to the crisp smell of this brew, the mouthfeel hits me like a mouth full of nickels.

D: At 7% it's probably just a tad too high to be considered sessionable. For me, 7% makes a great session beer, (I'm 6'7" and 330 pounds though..) but I wouldn't even want to drink more than one of these at a time.

Sorry, 21st Amendment, the law did nothing for you.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

BREW FREE! OR DIE IPA is a name you would most likely expect from New Hampshire where their official state moto is "Live Free or Die". But this beer is brewed right in beatnik land.

I love that on 21st Amendment Brewery's website they tell me what malts, hops and yeast they use. Some I could guess, cascade hops are clear, some I could not. Thanks for the Beerducation 21st Amendment Brewery!

As you can probably see in the image, this is a beautiful IPA. A nice golden colour and a solid fluffy head that slowly dissipated and left beautiful lacing. When you crack the can open you are blown away by the hop aroma that escapes the can. I wondered, "how did all of the aroma fit in such a little unassuming can?" There is also a slight breadyness in the aroma, much more pronounced in the flavour though.

One sip and I'm a fan. It is not as perfect as the Green Flash West Coast IPA I drank last night though. This IPA is a bit harsher and not as complex. This is a good, big beer. The flavour is very grassy and reminds me of a dew filled morning in the Pacific North West. Hint of grapefruit, especially in the aftertaste.

Overall: enjoyable but not the best IPA Ive had

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Pours a copper rust color with a decent head that dissipates fairly quickly. Nice looking head though. Fairly cloudy with nice medium sized bubbles.

S: Nice citrus and floral hop aroma. Pretty sweet smelling. Possibly a little tart smell as well.

T: The first impression I get is that tart flavor I was smelling. I get the bitter towards the end. I like that this isn't like a lot of typical IPAs I've tried. the bitterness is not overpowering, instead the malt carries the sweetness of this brew to the end and gently hands it off to the bitter finish. Its a well crafted flavor.

M: I like the malty sweet flavor that takes over and fills the mouth. It lingers for awhile before the bitterness kicks in. I'm a little surprised to read that it is 7% ABV because, though that isn't TOO high, its up there for an IPA and I don't get any booziness from it at all. Towards the end I'm getting a feeling in my mouth like I just ate a sour apple. It has coated my mouth in a way I'm not thrilled about.

D: Although the bitterness is held at bay really well, I think that the sweet and tart flavors are a bit much by the end. I could have one or maybe two of these before wanting to move on. Overall quite tasty though, I would definitely drink this again.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery