21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 822 | Hads: 2,294
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

On tap at the 21st Amendment (San Fran)

A - Amber golden. Foamy off-white lace head. Good retention.

S - Very strong hops. Pine and Grapefruit nose.

T - Strong hops (grapefruit/ pine). Nice bitterness thruout. Moderate caramel. Bitter finsh.

O/ M - Great IPA! 7.2%ABV; 78 IBUs. Were sold out of cans... Need to go back next time in SF!

4.47/5  rDev +17%

APPEARANCE: Light orange, bordering on yellow/straw in color. The head is white, fluffy and about three quarters of an inch thick. Retention is fairly strong, leaving a nice ring of lacing up top. That lacing continues down the rest of the glass.

SMELL: Traditional West Coast IPA aroma - big citrus, with grapefruit out front, a little passion fruit and other tropical fruits. A touch of grassiness lurks underneath, but basically the hops are pulling 100% of the weight in the aroma department. Very nice.

TASTE: The tropical fruits actually really lead the way here. A lot of passion fruit up front along with maybe a touch of banana. The hops are also nice and spicy. Again, this is interesting in the sense that the hops seem to be doing all the work in the flavor department, including providing balance. The tropical fruits are a little sweeter while there is a very pleasant, but also fairly strong, bitter, grapefruit and lemon zest finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Right in the middle on the sweet/dry scale. I suppose you could say this is a well-balanced beer.

OVERALL: I have to say, I had only recently discovered craft beer when I moved out of San Francisco in 2008 and I really wish I still had direct access to 21st Amendment. I would hang out there after Giants games, I knew one of their cooks fairly well and I really enjoyed their beer when I found it around town. I never truly appreciated it though. Now I do. This is an outstanding IPA, one of the best in a can, maybe even competing with Modus.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bright yellow with a hint of orange and slight haze. Big billowy head with good head retention and eventually a nice cap. Lots of sticky lacings. Sweet fruity aroma, apricot and grapefruit, but also a decent light bready, malty aroma. Medium bodied, smooth feel with lively carbonation. Pretty balanced with citrus grapefruit, apricot and bready malt flavors. Finishes with a tangy pine flavor. Love this IPA! Very easy to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not your average Portland Safeway pick. Bright yellow-orange hue. Solid carb. Heady front of grass and resin. Biscuit malt, honey viscosity mouthfeel. Bitterness grows in mid taste, and builds with the flavor profile - very balanced. Piney overtones remain with some booze waft.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

"I begged her not to go and I begged her on my bended knees,
You're only fooling around, you're fooling around with me.
I said move over once, move over twice
Come on baby don't be cold as ice.
I said I'm trav'ling on the one after 9.09..."

With apologies to the late, great John Lennon.... yes, this is my review # 910...

After having just one TBN Blonde Bock on visit # 1, on 19JUN, I opted to venture into more familiar territory - a westcoast IPA... Menu said it currently checks in at 7.2% abv.... Pours medium golden and clear, with minimal carbo rising within. Head was steady at 1/4", creamy and white, with top-shelf lacework lining the glass. Produces a large citrus aroma; quite pungent and welcoming! Yes, come to papa!! Medium bodied, it was fairly solid as well as being smooth on the tongue. So far, so good!

Light, toasty malt comes forth, with huge, heavy, heavenly hop flavors attacking the palate. Citrussy grapefruit and resiny/piney notes support the assault. Now we're talking! Though not light on the lupulins, 21A doesn't really stick too long in the mouth. Nonetheless, it has a top-shelf flavor profile which really hit the spot. Upon returning for another lunch on 23JUN, this is what I went for right off, to the tune of 2 pints....

Note: current bier info from the 21st web: "Deep golden color. Citrus and piney hop aromas. Assertive malt backbone supporting the overwhelming bitterness. Dry hopped in the fermenter with four types of hops giving an explosive hop aroma. Many refer to this IPA as Nectar of the Gods. Judge for yourself. Now Available in Cans!
7.2% alcohol/vol. - 80 IBU's"

overall: 4.45
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4.5

4.44/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from can. Canned 7/12/12. Interesting to note this is brewed in CA and canned in MN for those unaware.

Pours with nice light head, dissipates quickly. Murky almost, but still amber when held up to light.

Smells sweet. Almost like raisins or a plum. Very flowery, notes of cinnamon????

Taste as expected. Frontal hops, delicious malt backbone. I've had others not quite as fresh as this and it certainly taste way better now. It's very smooth as it goes down but has a nice zing to it as well. Velvet-like. Light resin left on tough and mouth to savor.

Overall a great beer. One of my go-tos. Love the can and contents. A notable IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a can (Yes, a can) into pint glass. No BB date.

Aroma: Piney hops. Some caramel sweetness.

Appearance: Pours with thick long lasting head, lots of lacing. Golden to brass color. Mostly clear, very slight haze.

Flavor: Piney hops carry forward into flavor. Citrus flavor in background. Good solid malt backbone with some caramel sweetness. Some honey or graham crackers. Clean with slight fruit flavors in background. Finishes dry and bitter with some sweetness. Alcohol not noticeable, you don't know you are drinking a 7% beer!

Mouthfeel: Full, rich mouthfeel. Resinous from hops coat the tongue. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Great hop and malt flavors dance all over the tongue. Very well balanced.One of my new favorite IPAs.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the can into a snifter. Pours a hazy tangerine. A very strong contender in the ever growing IPA category; well balanced, easy drinking, flavorful beer. Very clean, highly drinkable, good malt backbone, and obviously nice and hoppy. The can is awesome, the beer is awesome. Helps deconstruct the contract brewing stigma that for some reason grips craft beer aficionados.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

A not-overly-aggressive pour resulted in a huge soapy head that lasted forever, on top of a slightly hazy rust color.

The aroma is a dream for hopheads, a really big, fresh, floral nose. Just beautiful.

What the aroma doesn't tell you is that there's plenty of malt backbone to this IPA. A lot in fact. Tons of hop presence too. This is just a big tasting beer, without necessarily qualifying as a Big or Extreme beer. Hops and malts aplenty, with the hops sticking around in the astringent and grass-sour finish. (I can see some people having issues with the powerful aftertaste, as it coats and sticks and hangs around forever. But if you really really love hops, it will be nirvana.)

The mouthfeel is incredibly buttery, with the carbonation only coming on mildly.

This is a really great IPA. It completely hits the spot. Thanks a ton to melbatoast93 for hauling some back from California.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy, deep golden color with a big meringue-like head of about two fingers.

Aromas of citrusy hops, lemon, grapefruit, lemon zest, and a little chalkiness.

First sip is of lemon zest, orange marmalade. A honey sweetness. Finish is rather short, but bitter.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, chewy malt, not quite puckering bitterness.

Very drinkable American IPA. Nothing too aggressive or over the top. Actually, quite easy to drink, without much worry of palate fatigue.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

pours light golden with a finger of creamy head that has good staying power. nice citrusy aroma beckons. taste is a touch sweet at first, with the hops hitting you soon after for a lightly bitter, but overall refreshing finish. a great, really drinkable IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Thanks to Rzzz for this can.

This one pours a clear, lighter shade of amber. There was about a fingers worth of of white head before it faded to a ring. Some decent lacing circles the glass.

I could smell this one from the moment I cracked the can open. Yum. Once I got it into my glass a took a deeper more focused sniff. I picked up some caramel up front, although it was very short lived. Fruity, citrus hops dominate this one. There is a touch of pine meandering in and out. Yankee should make a candle out of this one.

The flavors mimic the smell. Semi-sweet in the beginning before the citric hops make an appearance. Nice bitterness and enjoyable, lingering hop flavors.

Medium body with spot on carbonation. Slight bit of hop oils coat the mouth. Drying, sorta bitter aftertaste makes me want another sip. This is another great example of canned beer. Now if they would distribute out this way I would be set. Thanks, Russ!

Canned on 6/22/12.

Pours a hazy dark orange with a 1 inch foamy orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of lots of citrus fruit, citrus zest, and orange/tangerine juice aromas. Taste is super citrus forward with citrus fruit, citrus zest, citrus juice, honey, and some malt on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with great aromas and flavors that make it super easy to drink. A real surprise.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Thanks to BrewerB for the try.

A: Pours a nice golden hue with a nice thick two finger head. The head dies to a solid collar and lingers for the duration. Nice combination of chunky and sheet lace exhibited.

S: Nice smelling brew. Perfect combination of grapefruit and pine with some spice mixed in. Hints of caramel and biscuit malt peek thru. Nice, bold, and pleasant.

T: Wonderful balance. Big blast of grapefruit hops right up front. Waves of flavor then rush thru. Hints of sweet pine, and toasty malt. A bit of floral hops come thru in the finish with just a touch of grass. I realllly like this beer.

M: Medium in body with great carbonation.

D: Uber... I usually like the aggressiveness of the West Coast IPA's, this one is not that. What 21st Amendment has accomplished is perfect balance. There is such a wonderful combination of hops that the flavors just radiate thru. There is a good deal of malt to mute things though. The drinkability and enjoyability are off the charts. Perfect beer to drink a sixer of, and the ABV will let you know you did it, once you are done.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

On tap at the brewpub. Poured into a pint glass. Comes in at 78 IBUs and 7%.

A-Pours a very clear light amber, falling on the yellow end of the spectrum. Has a half finger white head. Lots of lace left in this one.

S-Smells like a good West Coast IPA. Lots of pine and fresh citrus hops come out.

T-Pine and citrus (lemon, pineapple, and orange) hit the tongue at first. The malt backbone in the middle is sweet and works very well. The sweetness doesn't stay very long as the bitterness returns.

M-Medium bodied and smooth from being on draught. Lighter bodied than a lot of other IPAs. Not vey bitter.

D-Goes down very easily due to the fact that it is not heavy.

One of my favorite IPAs, this one is not always available and blows away it's brother that is canned. Always up for a pint of this.

Bought and consumed on 2/23/11
Served from a Can into a Pilsener glass.

Appearance: Poured from a can into a pilsener glass. A nice, light to almost moderate amber color with very little head. The head that is produced does stick around for a decent amount of time but eventually fades away to nothing but a slight rim. Very nice lacing. Angelic almost.

Smell: Very, very fruity. The hops smacks you right in the face and that is almost all I get from the smell. Very little malt and no alcohol at all.

Taste: For being 7.0% I get no alcohol what so ever in this beer. The slightest sweetness of malt glazes your tongue at first sip and prepares it for the 70 IBU blast of hops you are about to receive. I absolutely love it.

Mouthfeel: Not full, not watery, in between. That is about all I can say for it. Carbonation is spot on. I have no complaints.

Drinkability: I got a six pack for 8.25. I will definitely finish the whole thing tonight...and that is on top of the other beers I have been consuming this evening.

I definitely recommend this beer to anyone who is a fan of everything that isnt Coors, Miller, or Budweiser. If you love really hoppy beers, this is for you! Try it out!

Brew Free! or Die Tryin'!

4.41/5  rDev +15.4%

Great beer my new favorite IPA in a can. I would get a 5.0 if it has a little more bitter hop. I guess I can't have everything. I had read a review on the beer, and just saw it the other day while trying to score some pliny. It no Pliny but I am pretty annoyed with trying get a hold of some. Moving on.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

12oz can poured into a glass.

A- This is a really pretty beer, a poster child for IPAs. Great clarity, nice white head, pale golden color. Excellent lacing and good retention. I have seen a couple IPAs with slightly better retention so I couldn't give it a 5, hopefully my glassware is not screwing with it.

S- Very nice, hop foward but not overly assertive. Definite grapefruit (cascade) and some hints of grass. Slight estery/fruity ale yeast smell that complements the hops nicely.

T- I would like the taste just slightly fuller bodied. The dryness makes me think that some belgian yeasts or base malts were used. Again hops are present but not over the top. I think that the ammount of bittering hops is perfect.

M- Dry but leaves the mouth with a slick sweetness. Medium to light bodied. Again I would prefer just a slightly larger body.

D- This is my go to classic IPA, it has replaced two hearted. If I'm in the mood for a tongue beating I buy something else, but for good clean hoppy flavor a nice abv this beer can't be beat.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

A - Pours a reasonably clear golden with two fingers of head that died slowly leaving a lacing down the glass.

S - Very well balanced in the nose with floral hops a sweet bit from the malt.

T - The taste is skewed to malt, but there are plenty of hops throughout the flavor profile. A very well balanced/well made IPA.

M/D - Mouthfeel is slightly creamy and smooth with a rich silkyness. This is exceedingly drinkable and could easily become a regular beer for me.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Hazy golden color. Poured a nice creamy head. Great lacing.

S- Super inviting. Big floral notes, grapefruit, tangerine, pine, fresh hop and caramel.

T- Follows the nose pretty closely. Grapefruit, tangerine, pine, fresh hops, resin, and just a dash of lemon. Finish was a really nice rush of bready flavors with some spice mixed in.

M- Medium body. Crisp carbonation. Oily and only slightly drying with a nice aftertaste.

O- I was impressed with this one. The aromas were wonderful, and the flavors were really nicely balanced. It got even better as it warmed. I love a citrusy, piney IPA with a kick of sweetness, and this one definitely delivered. The bready accents in the aftertaste were a nice addition as well.

4.39/5  rDev +14.9%

A - A nice golden copper color. Light for an IPA.

S - A combo of citrus and piny hops. Smells delicious!!

T - floral hops up front. Bitter at the end and aftertaste.

M - Very crisp, carbonated, and very smooth.

D - Very high, I want more...more ...more. Great IPA.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

Been waiting to see this one in PA for quite a while, and the can I ended up with actually came from Virginia!

It doesn't look or smell all that special (I like a lot of hop aroma in my IPA's and a bit darker color) but when I tasted it I instantly put all that behind me. The hops are very subdued, not in-your-face like I've come to expect from some of the west coast IPA's (and the better east coast ones). I like this a lot, it makes for a more balanced brew and makes for a cleaner mouthfeel. After drinking this, I thought I'd finally found the sessionable IPA that I have been searching for for so long. Until I read the can and saw that it was 7%. I will have to be careful.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a beautiful dark gold with a nice foamy head. I don't think I've ever seen an IPA lace the glass like this one.

S- It smells like really intense hops with a caramel-like sweetness. A sweet grapefruit smell also comes through.

T- I've never had an IPA like this! It's ridiculously hoppy, but NOT bitter. The hops are primarily grapefruit with a very faint pine flavor. How is there so much malt in this IPA? It's really malty, caramelly, and rich.

M- This is the thickest IPA I've ever had, but at the same time, has a really crisp finish. I never thought I would have a beer so crisp that's actually sticky!

D- This is the most drinkable IPA I've ever had...and certainly one of the best.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz can poured into a snifter glass (courtesy of Brooklyn Brewery)

A-Pours a cloudy (unfiltered) golden with a white head 1/2 - 3/4" high and maintained for 1-2 minutes.

S-Citrus with malt in equal amounts. Floral and pine notes are also of mention.

T- Just as the smell, citrus notes and malt are delivered at equal rates...a dry/bitter finish makes this a refreshing libation with moderate carbonation

O- Not the most intense IPA I have consumed, but I consider this an excellent specimen. At 70 IBU's, it is wonderful due to its incredible balance of hop and malt. As a result, this has been my "go-to" standard for the last 12 months...I love this beer and hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do.

BTW- Love the updated graphics on the can (Caricature of Mt. Rushmore)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

it's been awhile, but a unfortunately good opportunities to review are few and far between. bought and drank Feb 2010 in Cambridge, MA.

pours a hazy, barely translucent orangey-brown golden -perhaps auburn.. reminds me of a fall day. slightly off-white head is substantial, but various size bubbles, looks not too dense, and dies quickly to leave quite nice lace.

spicy hop is on the nose, a bit of sweetness and some citrus. mostly powered well by what i would describe as a sweet green leafy hop smell.

good balance overall - heavy toward the hop end, of course, but in a great way. good sweetness (maybe a touch of pineapple?) balanced with strong green hop flavor in the middle and strong but not harsh bitter end. bitterness lingers substantially, but isn't uncomfortable. overall a bit too much fruity-sweetness for me, but that's being quite picky.. very good overall.

I generally have an issue with the mouth feel of beers, and I'd have to say this one is quite good. nicely carbonated, not too thick or thin,

I keep coming back, that's what counts! hides 7% very well, just enough lingering flavor to draw you back, but not too much.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery