Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

21st Amendment IPA - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment IPA21st Amendment IPA

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 11-17-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 21st Amendment IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 817 | Hads: 2,267

Labelled as 'Brew Free or Die IPA' on the huge beer board in the brewery bar on 5 Feb 2013 when I had my on-tap beer.

Light golden body with a slight haze, on top a thin white covering.

Hops rule the brew, mini-citrus front to that hoppiness, some malt content in the brew also, just to prevent it becoming a hop bomb sort of beer. The beer was taken during 'Strong Beer Month' and at 7.0% was one of the weakest on offer, it therefore lacked the 'umph' of many others that day and hence my rather average thoughts on this brew. (530 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours orange with an off white head and a bit of lacing as it goes down. Some citrus and piney hops in the nose, although there seems to be quite a bit of malt coming through even in the nose. Taste is a bit bitter, but is definitely dominated by quite a bit of malt sweetness. The balance is definitely off as the malt and its flavors nearly override the citrus and pine flavors, leaving a somewhat disorganized beer. Mouthfeel is a bit better, with a little bit more balance. Drinkability is okay, but not one of the better 21st Amendment beers that I've had. (561 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Two and a half finger head, dirty white and semi-dense. Minute long retention. Some sticky lacing. Dark straw color with semi-clarity. Decent and clean looking.

S- Light and floral hops. Some hop oil and honeyed malts. Crisp and light.

T- Honey, citrusy and floral hops, grapefruit, lemon and other light spring-y tastes.

M- Thin and light, dry finish.

O- Tasty and drinkable, but nothing exemplary. (466 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

Paid $1.99 for a 12oz can from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Poured into a pint glass to review.

Transparent corn yellow in color with a massive pillowey white head consistent of rather large carbonation bubbles. Superb head retention of about a half inch and thick trails of lacing. Very nicely carbonated.

Citrusy and grassy hops balanced out with toasty malts. More on the balanced side for its style. Smells clean, pale and refreshing.

Taste is maybe just a bit off for me. I'm getting hints of soap along with the citrus dominated grassy hops. Lots of lemon and freshly cut grass; reminds me of summer.

Mouth is alive from carbonation with a medium body and crisp finish. Pretty easy going down. All in all, a decent beer, but I don't think I'll get it again given the many great alternatives in the style. (818 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -22.8%

Picked this up in a mix-a-six from a very nice store I just visited in Virginia Beach, Grape and Gourmet.

Appearance- Pours a golden amber with a solid two fingers of creamy white head that has very good retention and leaves quite a bit of lacing as I drink.

Smell- I have to say, much weaker than I was expecting. I get a bit of grapefruit rind on the nose, followed thereafter by a lot of sweeter, bready smelling malts. Not nearly as much of a hop presence as I was expecting.

Taste- As the nose indicated, there really wasn't as much in the hop department here as I was expecting. Starts off with some mild grapefruit and pine resin flavors but that quickly gives way to a fair amount of sweet caramel maltiness. Finishes rather slick and sweet.

Mouthfeel/Drinkablity- Mouthfeel with solid and adequately carbonated. The beer went down easy enough but left me wanting a fair amount more in the flavor department.

Overall, rather disappointed. I thought it was quite weak in the hops department. Maybe it was on the older side? I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt despite the fact that it was in a can and will revisit in the future. (1,154 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -23.9%

12 oz can poured into a snifter · Fridge temp · 2008

Appearance: Pours a transparent brownish orange color with a 1" tall, off-white head with good retention. Craterous head and plenty of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Heavy pine, grapefruit and malty sweetness. This one smells a lot like a DIPA. Grassy fresh.

Taste: Not like it smells. The malts are heavy and so is the pine bitterness, but it's not refreshing like most other IPAs. Pretty bland and dry.

Mouthfeel: Dry, slender bodied and a decent bitterness. Slightly carbonated with a flat finish.

Drinkability: I am pretty disappointed by this beer. It is dry, flat and lacks any complexity. This one needs work. (673 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

My first canned IPA. As expected, when poured it produced a large (3 finger) head composed of large bubbles. It got rocky as it subsided. Body was clear yellow.

Initial aroma was of citrusy hops and a bit of honey sweetness. Then, I got a scent of what I can only describe as wet dog. And not the just-groomed wet dog either. I mean after he's played around with the lawn sprinkler for a while and is starting to dry out.

Taste began with sharp hop resins and alpha acids. This was followed by a slightly buttery malt flavor. Aftertaste was a long lingering bitterness. I wasn't impressed.

Mouthfeel was OK. It was well carbonated and had some good body to it.

Only average drinkability. Not one I would go back to, when there are so many outstanding IPAs available here. (776 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank one of these last night after a hefty and hoppy Surly and didn't care for it... I wanted to give it a fresh start and a second try today.

A: Poured from a 12oz can into a standard pint glass. Pours honey and amber blonde with a thick and creamy head. The head dissipates fairly quick but leaves a nice cloud-like puff at the top of the glass. Lacing isn't anything special but has decent cling. Held up to the light, the brew radiates a little more golden with carbonation evident.

S: My first impression from the smell is of fresh vegetables and a slightly unpleasant ketchup-like vinegar smell. I get some pleasant undertones of floral hops and crystal malts as well though.

T: For the style, there's too much malt character at first sip. I get bittering hops but not much hop flavor as if the brewmaster decided not to do anything at the 30 and 15. In my opinion, this tastes more like a macro-brew than a craft IPA. The flavor never rounds out and an IPA lover is left smacking their lips with the taste of malt liquor in the their mouth.

MF: Heavy mouth feel for the style. Compared to the crisp smell of this brew, the mouthfeel hits me like a mouth full of nickels.

D: At 7% it's probably just a tad too high to be considered sessionable. For me, 7% makes a great session beer, (I'm 6'7" and 330 pounds though..) but I wouldn't even want to drink more than one of these at a time.

Sorry, 21st Amendment, the law did nothing for you. (1,454 characters)

Poured into a snifter on 2/3/11

Golden-tangerine in color with some noticeable cloudiness. Pours one finger of fluffy white foam that thins slowly. Decent retention & a pretty good amount of lace.

The hop aroma is mostly a dense, over-ripe citric assembly: hints of grapefruit rind, lemon zest & orange pith & a slight notion of tangerine. Overtones of pine. Balance is edging toward maltiness: sugar cookie, caramel & bread. A little doughy as it warms up.

The hop bill tastes similarly lackluster compared to the aroma. Dense citric exhibiting pithy, peely notes seem dull; lacking a vibrant flavor. A modest piney kick moves in mid-swallow to help out. Toasted bread rounds it out. Interestingly, the malt is far more in check here than the nose.

Medium bodied with a resiny, coating feel underscored by a mild grittiness. Carbonation is a little north of average but not too distracting (the flavors take care of that). Astringent finish.

Somewhat disheveled overall, drinkability suffers. I suppose it could work in a pinch. (1,034 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance - Golden sun color with an orange hue to it. Head is a tight ring of bubbles with a supple froth left on top. Lacing is the best part of the look for this one, there's no way they could have improved it. I can't seem to put my finger on it, but there's just something that keeps it from a perfect rating.

Smell - Exceptionally sweet in the nose. Maybe a little bit too over the top for my tastes, as it seems to be drenched in honey. Citrus notes do seem to wrap around the hop bitterness eventually as I get further into this one.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Not much hop bitterness here at all. Maybe that explains why the smell score was so off. Just a very gentle smattering of hops, and not much citrus flavor to speak of. Honey was drizzled in a bit, but that doesn't help much. Just doesn't really seem to be any flavor at all. Feel is light and doesn't grab at the tongue or pop in the mouth whatsoever.

Drinkability - Recently picked this up as an extra in a trade. Wasn't really what I was hoping for, as it really is a let down of an ipa. Haven't tried any of their other stuff, but this one leaves a black mark on their record. (1,145 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -25.5%

A beautiful, brilliantly clear amber with a big sticky white head. Aroma is light citrusy hops and crystal malts with a hint of alcohol. Taste is more of the same; hop presence is a bit weak and the finish is pretty tart. Mouthfeel is medium-full and a bit astringent. Overall, slightly disappointing. Flavors are muted. Really more of a strong amber ale or *maybe* an English IPA, definitely doesn't qualify as an American IPA. Would only buy in the future as a fresh draft or if really cheap. (494 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a nice bright amber color out of the can with fluffy two finger head.

S - Good amount of piney, grassy hops on the nose, nearly flowery. Has a hint of an apple like scent and sweet honey.

T - More malty than hoppy to me. The hops are there but muted. A bit of fruity taste that fades into some bitter hoppyness. I don't know, not outstanding, certainly.

M - It's smooth, it almost feels a little undercarbonated.

Overall - I wasn't really into this one. Not sure if this was a bad can or something, but it just wasn't that great. (544 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

I still have an empty can of this beer from 5+ years ago when I thought the artwork was so whimsical -- the Rushmore Four pictured in various altered expressionages.. So I was surprised to find this available where I went to order takeout at a local restaurant. I sipped on BrewFree while I waited for my food. Poured from can into pint glass a murky golden haze, not unpleasant. Mouthfeel: rubbery but not unpleasant; might wish for a little more carbonation? Taste: banana, honey overnotes, banana, Anybody Got Some Spice Besides Nutmeg?, banana. If an IPA to rival other golden IPA's, it seems the hops my tastebuds were reaching for didn't materialize here. Still expecting great things fron 21st Amendment and hoping this was just a case of canned beer maybe left in the restaurant's cooler too long to meet demand. (820 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a cloudy yellowish-orange with thick white head. Leaves a nice ring of head as it dissipates with tons of lacing. I don't know how to improve on the appearance. I'm not a fan of this beer, however. It has this almost buttery, metallic smell/taste to it. There are the hops too, but I find it being overpowered by the off tastes. There is some bready malts in there too. If I am on vacation somewhere where this beer is sold again, I may try it again to see if I like it more. (481 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -26.8%

Canned 11/20/10 if my math is right, reviewed 2/27/11.

Pours a hazy but see-through-able golden, makes some head and leaves lacing.

Once the can is opened, it smells like decent grassy hops. But once poured in the glass, I can't smell anything but some faint apple-like fruit flavors.

Taste is full of fruitiness, but not in a dank, hoppy way. Reminds me a lot of cider and apple juice. Nothing here is awful, but this isn't very great, and it doesn't taste much like an IPA. Malt lends some sweetness, but I don't get much else.

Goes down easy enough and doesn't taste awful. I had to grab a sixer of this because it just debuted in my area, but I won't be getting this again. Maybe it's good when fresher, but the hop flavor here is off and lacking. (755 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Hooked up with this can from my buddy Tony Hull, shared with ariech6

A- Pours a pale orange without much going in terms of head, maybe a finger or so

S- I poured out a bouquet of flowers into my glass didn't I? This smells like straight flowers and I don't want to drink that

T- Vodka and flowers, this is pretty unbalanced. Lots of floral tastes with a big alcohol presence.

M- If you are able to ignore the flavor the smoothness of the mouthfeel might be slightly redeeming

O- If this mouthfeel accompanied a better beer I might enjoy it, as it stands I dislike the taste and scent. I really wanted to like this one (623 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was super excited to try this beer after seeing it in a store in Va Beach. Ive heard good things so lets see if those commendations come to frutition.

Pours from the can a hazy burnt orange color into the pint glass with a white head of minimal size. The foam leaves the beer quickly but there is some retention of lace on the glass.

Aroma was nothing to write home about. Where are the hops? Fruity and malty with nairy a hop. Kind of sour smelling too. Uh-oh.

Flavor profile is more of the same. Kind of sour and fruity, almost green apple-like. Perhaps something is wrong with this one. With no dating, who the hell knows? No hop flavor with minimal hop bitterness. A very basic Pale Ale.

Very disappointed. This one tastes like an average pale ale. Not happy with this one at all. (791 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -28.1%

A - Big foamy head, clear and straw colored beverage. Feels like I've seen that somewhere before...

S -Mostly bitter with a grassy hop presence that finishes in the nose as a citrusy creature

T - This one begins sour, like lemon sour for example with a slightly metallic thing going on.

M - A little oily and medium carbonated.

Not the most impressive thing I've had. I've seen/tasted worse, but this one isn't the best IPA I've had. (437 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

picked up a single can it poured a hazy light orange color with little head and some slight lacing.the smell was slight everything.. minimal citrus, hops malts.. the taste was the same it was bland and average could barely taste the hops where is the citrus and grassy tastes and malts? ..its not well balanced and not that flavorful..is something lost on this being brewed in cold springs,mn and not san francisco? i did not like this IPA and will not buy or recommend it.... to many other ipas out there to purchase and enjoy then to drink such an average one..had such high hopes for this one with all the buzz!!!?? (618 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz can, poured into a pint

Pours a light golden color with a tint of orange through the middle. Some mild lacing and a one finger paper white cap.

Cheesy hops on the nose (improperly stored?) with some lightly toasted white bread and some citrus.

Some piney hops rush to the front and say hello before pale malt enters the equation. The finish is lightly, and I mean lightly bitter. This reminds me of a heartier well-hopped pilsner. Not what I am looking for in an IPA.

Light to medium body, little syrupy/chewy. Mild bitterness at best.

This just didn't deliver for me. Lightly hopped, sturdy malt and little to no bitterness. (635 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured this 12 oz. can into a Sam Adams glass. No date but coded on the bottom. The body was clear and rich golden in color. There was a tall off white head.

Smell was candy-like. Citrus. Sweet floral aroma. A bit of sour apple. Not a typical IPA aroma profile.

Taste was also unique. I love bitter IPAs but this one was not that satisfying. It was citrusy with solid malty grains but there was some unappealing flavor I cannot describe. Almost a soap-like bitterness. Brassy. Apricots. However, something less than yummy lingers with this one.

Mouthfeel had some slickness. Less carbonation than expected. Medium bodied. (625 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The pale yellow color with a good 2 finger foam head. The smell was fairly faint with not much hop aroma. It smells sweet like an esb. The taste was similar to the esb as well it didn't taste like an IPA to me. In the mouth it was sweet with a minimal hop bitterness. Overall I probably won't be buying this one anytime soon. (325 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

12 oz. can with some batch code. The label declares that the brewery is in San Francisco, but the fine print on the side says that it is made and canned in Cold Springs, MN. Interesting. It pours a clouded orange due to a botched decanting, and is topped with a thin white cap. Smells of orange, grapefruit and perhaps some pine. Pale malts, orange, aspirin, fruits and a medium bitterness on the palate. The fruity hops, penetrating sweetness and yeasty flavor remind me of a fruit beer. Tingly, fullish and a bit dry, not light and crisp like an IPA requires. This might be good with food or as a dessert, but it is too filling and way too sweet for an IPA. Not for me. (671 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

From a 12 oz. can into a pint glass, this brew pours clear and golden, almost a deep straw in color. A half inch of white head settles quickly to a surface ring, throwing off bits of lacing here and there.

Buttery rancid orange on the nose, a curious blend of hops and malts. Not really to my liking. Hop presence is there but you really have to work for it, and then it's quickly quenched by the malt structure. As the beer settles more hops are apparent, as is the fact that they have a semi-composted sense about them at times, otherwise earthy and peaty.

Flavor is a bit reaching. Offers a bitter and slightly drying finish and a slightly cloying flavor, and is a bit unbalanced as the bitterness easily outweighs any hop presence, particularly given the apparent sweetness. Average feel and a so-so drinkability given the balance, of sorts.

Overall I'm unimpressed as I become more firmly entrenched in the 'San Diego Style' IPA vs. the nectar like IPA's of the Northwest/NorCal. (988 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

Got a can from stageseven. Poured 12 oz can into pint glass.

A- Pours very hazy dark orange. Large fluffy white head. Some good retention with lots of lace left on the glass.

S- Nose has a lot of sugary sweet smell here. Malt aroma overtakes any hop scents trying to come through.

T- Not what I was expecting from an IPA. Very malt heavy with little hop flavor. Get a bit of hops right at the start, but quickly turns into sweet malt flavors. Maybe a taste of honey mixed in as well. Would love to have more hops to balance out the beer.

M- Medium body on the lighter side. Moderate carbonation. Sweet mouth feel.

D- First IPA I can remember with almost no hop flavors. Being a fan of big hop flavor this wasn't my favorite. Thanks though for the brew Adam. (763 characters)

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery