Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 2,106 | Reviews: 645
Reviews by Libationguy:
3.54/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hazy light straw color. (Served with a wedge of watermelon on the glass at the brew pub).

Watermelon, citrus, yeasty, pink grapefruit, toasted white bread, grassy.

Soft round notes of cereal, citrus and yeast on the palate. Fairly four-square with a clean, lactic finish.

Medium- bodied with a slightly watery texture.

Refreshing with the watermelon, but fairly simple and needing a little more texture.

(Tasted from sampler at the brew pub).

4.47/5  rDev +35.5%

My experiences with Watermelon Wheats had not been positive so I was hesitant to try this beer. At the advice of a respected BA I gave it a shot and boy was I ever surprised. First and foremost, 21st’s WW isn’t pink. It looks like beer rather than Kool-aid. This is positive. Its body is a hazed golden lager color served in a small weizen glass. Aroma is all watermelon, real, honest to goodness watermelon. Close your eyes and you’re body will tell you that you’re sniffing a big wedge of green and red goodness. The flavor matches as does the mouthfeel. It’s fibrous. This is the real deal. While there is almost no head, there are bountiful carbonation streams giving this beer a great bite. Body is very light. Drinkability is high due to the lack of artificial flavor and only light to moderate sweetness. They were wise not to overdo it. The best watermelon wheat I’ve had… in fact the only good Watermelon Wheat I’ve had.

Note: I'm giving this beer high marks not because I loved the beer but because I feel that 21st captured the style they were going for almost perfectly.

4.18/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great aroma and flavor. The watermelon comes out wonderfully.

2.92/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Picked up on a trip back from Toledo. Pours a golden-straw color, fairly opaque, letting some light and opposite-side shadowing through. Wispy white head fades quickly leaving no lacing behind. Nose is full of some wheat as well as a strange hodge-podge of fruit and/or vegetables. Weirdly enough, V-8 tomato juice comes to mind; for some reason, I'm picking up big tomato hints. As time rolls on, the watermelon starts to come out more, and by the end of it, the watermelon is certainly the most prominent aroma, with a slight, astringent tartness that mixes with the sweetness from the malt and the dry wheat. The flavor is also kind of strange to say the least. It's like a light, wheat beer, heavy on the malt and wheat, mixed with some tart watermelon rind in the background. The watermelon flavors bounce in and out, but there's no mistaking the fruit - it's most definitely watermelon. It's more of an astringent, dry watermelon rind kind of flavor, where I was expecting a juicy, fruity watermelon. It's more natural than artificial tasting, though, which is most definitely a good thing. Thin body, medium carbonation.

This beer is weird. I was very excited to try it, and I thought it would actually be a little more fruity than it is. Watermelon is definitely present, but not quite in the capacity I would have liked, and not presented in the manner I would have hoped for. Still reasonably drinkable, and definitely something that I was glad to try, but I don't think I'll be getting this one again.

A "gift" from my son. Pours a very hazy yellow color with a white head and soda like carbonation. This beer was absolutely disgusting. It smelt like puke!! I checked the can date and it was only 5 weeks old so that wasn’t it.

I thought about just dumping it but it was all I had so after thinking long and hard, I remembered that if you hold your nose you can’t really taste what is in your mouth. It worked, I got it down fast. This is nasty shit!! I wish I could rate it even lower.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue VIII:

The can says to agitate before opening, so we know this is an unfiltered wheat. Fermented with watermelon, and watermelon juice added. The wheat really rises to the occasion with a sturdy and healthy froth, and does not want to move even after a sip or two. Golden yellow color, obvious haze from the yeast that was agitated back into the beer. Big wheat and yeast twang in the nose with a mild, fermented fruit tartness and bitterness from the rind. More than enough crispness to go around, compliments of the wheat. Moderately sized body. Quick, refreshing twang of fermented watermelon and rind that resembles a rhubarb-like flavor. Hops leave a little bit of bitterness, just enough to balance. Melon flavor throughout is light but even. Finishes with a lasting kernel of wheat malt and remnants of melon rind.

Interesting stuff here: The watermelon works with and contrasts itself at the same time. Perhaps a bit to intricate though still somewhat drinkable. Worth a shot if you are into different kinds of fruit beers.

3.48/5  rDev +5.5%

Cloudy yellow pour with a nice creamy white head. Smells of yeast with the faintest watermelon note, though i'm not sure if i would've gotten that blindly.

Watermelon flavor is more pronounced in my mouth, though not overwhelming. I'm not a big fan of ciders or fruit beers, but this I can handle. Very light. Almost hard to tell that it's a beer. Pairs nicely with a fresh chevre.

On a hot sunny day, my wallet would be the limiting factor of how many of these I could drink.

1.48/5  rDev -55.2%

Ah, with Memorial Day passing, we can officially say summer is here. And, nothing makes a warm summer day more pleasant than relaxing with a cold beer. And, few beers are more refreshing in that moment than a good wheat beer. Not too heavy - not too light ... maybe with a touch of spice, grass, or lemon or other fruit. So, why not watermelon? What is a more quintessential fruit of summer than watermelon? Which brings me to Hell or High Watermelon Wheat beer from 21st Amendment.

You know when you are done eating a piece of watermelon, and all the juicy flesh is gone, and you get down to that white part near the rind? Yet, you keep taking a bite or two more. And, you get this sour bitterness that tastes pretty much like nothing except sour bitter water with a hint of watermelon?

Yeah, that's what this beer tastes like.

I drank two cans from the 6-pack I bought from the cooler. Both the same. The next four likely will go down the drain.

Don't know if this was a bad batch or what. But, given some other reviews, maybe not.

Normally, I like most beers from 21st Amendment. But, this one was a disappointment.

3.6/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: It was served on tap and poured into a pint glass. The beer menu listed the abv at 4.9%.

Appearance: The body has a hazy straw yellow color with light foamy head on top. It’s head fizzled out quickly.

Smell: The aroma is fairly light overall. It brings some light wheat malt and white bready maltiness to the nose. It also has nice natural watermelon notes as well as and mild mineral like character.

Taste / Palate: It’s lightly bodied and like it’s aroma it has light pale bready and wheat maltiness with a light sweetness and an equally balanced watermelon flavor. Again like it’s aroma it also has a slight mineral flavor note and just a very light herbal hop bitterness in the finish. Notes: This is definitely a hot summer day or lawn mower beer. It’s thin and light making it easy drinking and interesting. It like that the watermelon taste is natural and some candy like flavoring added to a light wheat beer.

4.41/5  rDev +33.6%

Very easy to drink! This is by far my favorite summer beer! It has the feel of any other wheat beer, but the watermelon taste is so unique that it simply floored me.

The beer is slightly pink with a white head. The color of this beer really stood out to me. Initially, I thought the color seemed very artificial which made me expect an artificial flavor. But, I was wrong. There is little up front beyond a generic wheat beer, but in the aftertaste lies a brilliant watermelon flavor!

It is easy to drink and not very filling. It is slightly more alcoholic than your run of the mill macrobrews making it possible to drink a great many of these at any given time. It's a good beer to give to new beer drinkers. It's an excellent example of how diverse craft beers can be!

1.63/5  rDev -50.6%

A- Looks like a nice wheat beer, nothing too exciting, medium head and worthy lacing.

S- Decent wheat notes with some watermelon, maybe a little bitterness from the hops or fruit itself, nothing unreasonable.

T- Nope, not gonna drink this. Watermelon rind, bitter awful watermelon rind and nothing else. Never poured a beer down the drain before and hope never to do it again but this is undrinkable, gross.

M- Poured it, might have been fine but I couldn't care what it felt like when it tasted wretched.

D- Couldn't handle a few sips, no way will I buy this again.

2.06/5  rDev -37.6%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me.

3.67/5  rDev +11.2%

I love watermelon but hate American pale wheat ales. Thankfully, the watermelon salvages this brew from obscurity. Thanks to mntlover for the opportunity to try this. Pours a hazy straw amber body with a small white head that quickly disappears without significant lacing. Aroma is faint, with some bready wheat malt and a hint of watermelon. Light medium body has moderate carbonation. Taste has a really pleasant essence of fresh ripe watermelon flesh superimposed on the unassuming wheat ale base. It works for me. Nothing exceptional, but I like it a lot. Best watermelon beer I've ever had!(I've actually had one other)

3.59/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ounce can..."Yeast inside-agitate before opening" nice to see towards the top of the can. Pours cloucy lemony and still, w/o bubbles rising to the top. Quickly departing head and leaves no lace. I believe I do get a slight wiff of watermelon rind on the nose. Light and fruity, some might say watery even...Perhaps a hint of watermelon on the tongue...Lawn mower/very hot day beer...

4.08/5  rDev +23.6%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1/4 inch head, cloudy, yellowish-green

Smell: wheat, and melon

Taste: very watermelon--almost like a watermelon jolly rancher, bready wheat, with some small hops near the end

Mouthfeel: sweet, light/smooth body, high carbonation, slight bitter taste in the end.

Drinkability: Great taste for the style, especially if you like watermelons. An awesome summer beer..Bought a six and am happy I did

3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

The beer pours a hazy light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is mainly wheat but I also get a nice bit of light watermelon. The flavor is wheat, juicy watermelon and a light bit of tartness. Light to medium mouthfeel and medium mouthfeel. A nicely done fruit beer that doesn't taste artificial or overpower you with sweetness.

2.74/5  rDev -17%

12oz can poured into a tumbler.

Pours a fairly clear but super light ywllow color with lots of nice thin bubble trails leading to a small but creamy white head. Nose leaves a bit to be desired, it's yeasty and bready but no watermelon.

Taste is basically a wheat beer with not much watermelon flavor at all. It's basically your standard wheat beer. Mouthfeel is full rich and creamy - quite good. There is some weird off taste that's not great but overall it's a step above a macro, quite easy drinking.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Canned on 03/26/12.

Appearance: Pours a bright and very cloudy golden orange with lots of rising bubbles. Solid three finger white head that sticks for a bit than fades into a thin patchy layer. Lacing is moderate.

Smell: A sweet aroma of wheat grains and a quite noticeable presence of watermelon. Also some pale malts and hints of other citrus fruits including lemon and orange. Yeasty and somewhat tart smelling. Pretty much smells like a standard wheat beer with some watermelon added.

Taste: Tastes pretty much how it smells. Wheat grains and pale malts with big hints of watermelon juices. Hints of citrus orange and lemon zest. Somewhat sour and tart with a decent yeasty presence. Actually tastes pretty good for what it is. A fairly light taste with nothing offensive.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Crisp and somewhat syrupy. Very smooth.

Overall: I've often seen this sitting on the shelves and being kind of put off by the concept of a watermelon beer, but I'm glad I tried it. It's a pretty tasty light wheat beer that would go great with the summer.

2.91/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On draft at The String Bean, Belmont, NC. Poured in a standard US pint glass.

Pours hazy with a fair amount of visible carbonation, very little head and a nice bit of oily lacing that persists throughout the experience. I can faintly smell watermelon, but I also know it's supposed to be there. I can definitely taste it, along with some bitter rind and some thin standard flavors of a lesser wheat beer. I'm glad I tried it.

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

To begin with, you should only try this beer if you like watermelon, otherwise you will probably hate it.

A- The beer poured a hazy tan with a hint of pink. There was a little bit of a fizzy heady, but it quickly dissipated.

S- The smell is of spicy wheat and fresh watermelon rind

T- The beer started off a little tart from the wheat, but as it finished, the flavor of the watermelon really came through as did the sweetness.

M- Light and a little too thin on the palate

D- The watermelon flavor sold me, but those who don't like watermelon as much would rate this much lower in drinkability. I think that I could have 2 or 3 of these and that would be enough.

Great for an end of summer BBQ while downing spicy ribs and smoked brisket. I could also imagine having this at the beach

2.77/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: pale gold with fizzy white head, some wheat haziness

Aroma: slight watermelon whiff on top of very biscuity and yeasty aroma, no German yeast banana or clove but more of a funky bready yeast smell

Taste: light, tangy, thirst quenching and unmistakeable watermelony. Slight pale malt character but only very little.

Mouthfeel: very light body and very carbonated, tingly in mouth

Overall Impression: A good beer to quench a thirst on a hot day but not much else. Very simplistic and somewhat watery, this beer tastes more like a watermelon flavored lite American lager than a wheat beer from its very very light body.

3.69/5  rDev +11.8%

Can label reads agitate before opening, what's wrong with waiting to agitate while the beer is in the last couple inches of the bottom. I just had the draft Live Free or Die IPA at Mad Mex so instead of the canned IPA I opted for a six of this and a four pack of the Monk's Blood since I've never seen or heard of that one. This one pours a clouded lemonade esque golden sunshine hue with bright white head forming and dissipating quickly. Minimal speckled lacing is left on the sides of my glass. Aromatics offer up a tame laid back sweetness from the sharp citrus wheat back bone. Fruity watermelon layers with pretty much absent hop additions. I like the low alcohol fruit vibe kick every now and again. A chalky yeast and minimal floral note wrapped within the watermelon puree, this stuff smells inviting and not candy sweet which is definitely a good thing. Flavor is light with juicy edges almost like bubblegum edges to it, but the watermelon puree acts as a refresher in this mix. Some hard mineral water action with a yeast wheat infused malt backbone, really straight forward flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky but not syrupy in anyway smooth ample carbonation levels, it's nice to see this available in the Burgh at Giant Eagle Marketplace. Drinkability was easy going a refreshing summer time beer that I'm sure will go over with the ladies out there. For me it was worth the experience but this isn't something that is going to replace the session IPA or pale ale anytime soon.

3.46/5  rDev +4.8%

This beer pours a clear, light golden wellow color with a thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has an odd aroma, to say the least. I can smell some watermelon. It has a very dominate grainy aroma however. It also has a very subtle spicy aroma. Not what I was expecting, and a little less than I would desire.

This beer tastes better than it smells, but only a little. Grainy. Very grainy. Some subtle watermelon flavor mixes in. That is about it. Not bad, but although I cant really put it into words, its not wat I was expecting.

This beer is high in carbonation. It is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grainy watermelon aftertaste.

I dont knwo about the drinkability of this one. It is low enough in alcohol to make putting down a few easy, but I didnt like the taste, so I couldnt see myself drinking too many.

Overall: I am happy to have finally had the chance to try this one. Every time I stop by the brewery, they are out, so having my wife find it was a real treat. Although it wasnt what I was expecting, I have no regrets about it. Nice try 21st Amendment.

3.72/5  rDev +12.7%

new entry in our market here in the Northeast so i'd give it a shot

can says to agitate before opening since there is yeast in the can...a couple of quick shakes before opening produced a billowing head that i had to let settle before pouring the remainder of the can in my pint glass...once settled the head was no where to be seen...bright yellow....minimal carbonation

strong scent of watermelon upon bringing up to my nose....some hints of wheat here and there but watermelon is dominant

watermelon flavor coats the mouth after each sip....strong but not cloying....good balance with the wheat flavor

a little thin, but i think this along with the watermelon flavor make it more drinkable...not much in the way of carbonation

i'm drinking this on a cool rainy night, but this would be a nice deck/beach/boat beer on a summer afternoon...might also be a nice gateway beer for the ladies out there that don't like the taste of beer

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

21st Amendment has always intrigued me, despite never making anything that has ever really blown my hair back. Maybe its just the cans, but regardless, I found myself buying this, thinking it would be an interesting and unique summer beer. At the very worst, its first watermelon beer I've ever tried...

Pours a light golden yellow with a slight yeasty haze. Perhaps a finger or so of head that fizzles out pretty quickly. Boasts lousy retention and no lacing as it dies down. Quite frankly, for a wheat beer this is disappointing.

Smells of watermelon rind and golden wheat, with a slight sour quality. Reminds me of candy almost, like what I'd imagine a Starburst would smell like in liquid form.

Tastes pretty much as the can advertises. Watermelon flavoring up front with a wheat backbone. Tangy aftertaste with the most minimal hop bitterness for balance. Different for sure, and actually, quite good.

Mouthfeel is reasonably light and incredibly easy-drinking. Wouldn't consider this a session beer necessarily though, as it may be a bit of a novelty. I might get sick of it after a few.

Overall, this accomplishes what it sets out to do. A refreshing summer beer that proves itself as an ideal pool lounging candidate that your girlfriend probably won't argue with. Worth a shot if you like wheat beers.

to view more.