Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Reviews: 693 | Hads: 2,504
Reviews by Mistofminn:
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Got this one at Heritage. I figured, why not? Ed and Tim (again...I can't remember if thats your name or not) told me that this is definitely not the right weather to be drinking this in. Boy were they right.

Poured into a small pint glass, this is a hazy light golden color with a foamy white head. Lively carbonation. Leaves only spots of lacing.

The nose is really really wierd. It's sweet and wheaty, but there is a sort of water-logged watermelon rind. It is a strange combination of wheat and yeast and a light melon smell, that just isn't really melon. It's just strange, not my thing.

The taste is a shock, actually. I had my hopes that this actually tasted like watermelon dashed when the nose told me it wouldn't. But alas, it actually kind of does. It's strange, again, and not necessarily in a good way. Yeasty and wheaty and melony. Again, not really my thing.

Mouthfeel is light with a high carbonation, but it's surprisingly smooth and easy going. Drinkability is good, I can imagine that non-craft beer drinkers would love this stuff. My girlfriend and her mother (not craft-beer drinkers) liked it but both agreed it would be better on a hot summer day.

Overall, not really impressed, but I didn't have to be. This won't color my opinion of the brewery, as it's the only brew I had and I knew what I was getting myself into. I'll try their IPA before I write them off.

4.21/5  rDev +28%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

How is this at a 76/100? How many watermelon beers are there? This is a fantastic brew for a hot summer day. So much melon flavor and nice wheaty mouthfeel.

2.79/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Taste like a miller light with a hint of watermelon at the end.

3.81/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not bad at all. Has a nice watermelon jolly rancher taste on the finish. Reminds me of my youth. Nothing special nor horrible. Take a chance, grab one and sit on the porch smelling that fresh cut grass in the air. Something serious might just happen.

4.28/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really picking up the watermelon in this one and liking it

4.47/5  rDev +35.9%

My experiences with Watermelon Wheats had not been positive so I was hesitant to try this beer. At the advice of a respected BA I gave it a shot and boy was I ever surprised. First and foremost, 21st’s WW isn’t pink. It looks like beer rather than Kool-aid. This is positive. Its body is a hazed golden lager color served in a small weizen glass. Aroma is all watermelon, real, honest to goodness watermelon. Close your eyes and you’re body will tell you that you’re sniffing a big wedge of green and red goodness. The flavor matches as does the mouthfeel. It’s fibrous. This is the real deal. While there is almost no head, there are bountiful carbonation streams giving this beer a great bite. Body is very light. Drinkability is high due to the lack of artificial flavor and only light to moderate sweetness. They were wise not to overdo it. The best watermelon wheat I’ve had… in fact the only good Watermelon Wheat I’ve had.

Note: I'm giving this beer high marks not because I loved the beer but because I feel that 21st captured the style they were going for almost perfectly.

3.88/5  rDev +17.9%

4.18/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great aroma and flavor. The watermelon comes out wonderfully.

2.92/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Picked up on a trip back from Toledo. Pours a golden-straw color, fairly opaque, letting some light and opposite-side shadowing through. Wispy white head fades quickly leaving no lacing behind. Nose is full of some wheat as well as a strange hodge-podge of fruit and/or vegetables. Weirdly enough, V-8 tomato juice comes to mind; for some reason, I'm picking up big tomato hints. As time rolls on, the watermelon starts to come out more, and by the end of it, the watermelon is certainly the most prominent aroma, with a slight, astringent tartness that mixes with the sweetness from the malt and the dry wheat. The flavor is also kind of strange to say the least. It's like a light, wheat beer, heavy on the malt and wheat, mixed with some tart watermelon rind in the background. The watermelon flavors bounce in and out, but there's no mistaking the fruit - it's most definitely watermelon. It's more of an astringent, dry watermelon rind kind of flavor, where I was expecting a juicy, fruity watermelon. It's more natural than artificial tasting, though, which is most definitely a good thing. Thin body, medium carbonation.

This beer is weird. I was very excited to try it, and I thought it would actually be a little more fruity than it is. Watermelon is definitely present, but not quite in the capacity I would have liked, and not presented in the manner I would have hoped for. Still reasonably drinkable, and definitely something that I was glad to try, but I don't think I'll be getting this one again.

A "gift" from my son. Pours a very hazy yellow color with a white head and soda like carbonation. This beer was absolutely disgusting. It smelt like puke!! I checked the can date and it was only 5 weeks old so that wasn’t it.

I thought about just dumping it but it was all I had so after thinking long and hard, I remembered that if you hold your nose you can’t really taste what is in your mouth. It worked, I got it down fast. This is nasty shit!! I wish I could rate it even lower.

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue VIII:

The can says to agitate before opening, so we know this is an unfiltered wheat. Fermented with watermelon, and watermelon juice added. The wheat really rises to the occasion with a sturdy and healthy froth, and does not want to move even after a sip or two. Golden yellow color, obvious haze from the yeast that was agitated back into the beer. Big wheat and yeast twang in the nose with a mild, fermented fruit tartness and bitterness from the rind. More than enough crispness to go around, compliments of the wheat. Moderately sized body. Quick, refreshing twang of fermented watermelon and rind that resembles a rhubarb-like flavor. Hops leave a little bit of bitterness, just enough to balance. Melon flavor throughout is light but even. Finishes with a lasting kernel of wheat malt and remnants of melon rind.

Interesting stuff here: The watermelon works with and contrasts itself at the same time. Perhaps a bit to intricate though still somewhat drinkable. Worth a shot if you are into different kinds of fruit beers.

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Cloudy yellow pour with a nice creamy white head. Smells of yeast with the faintest watermelon note, though i'm not sure if i would've gotten that blindly.

Watermelon flavor is more pronounced in my mouth, though not overwhelming. I'm not a big fan of ciders or fruit beers, but this I can handle. Very light. Almost hard to tell that it's a beer. Pairs nicely with a fresh chevre.

On a hot sunny day, my wallet would be the limiting factor of how many of these I could drink.

3.37/5  rDev +2.4%