Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Reviews by phergy:
4.4/5  rDev +33.7%

The watermelon wheat looks like any unfiltered wheat beer: amber and cloudy. It has a white bubbly head that thins quickly. The nose is almost all wheat grain. It isn't until the first drink that you get a hint of watermelon. It is subtle, but noticeable, and adds a bit of sweetness to the beer. The closest I can get to describing the flavor is watermelon Jolly Rancher, but it not nearly that overpoweringly sweet. More like someone near you is eating a watermelon Jolly Rancher and you occasionally get a whiff. I was surprised to find that the watermelon is a nice complement to the wheatiness of the beer. Not a beer I would drink every day, but very good; much better than I expected.

phergy, May 20, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +35.9%

My experiences with Watermelon Wheats had not been positive so I was hesitant to try this beer. At the advice of a respected BA I gave it a shot and boy was I ever surprised. First and foremost, 21st’s WW isn’t pink. It looks like beer rather than Kool-aid. This is positive. Its body is a hazed golden lager color served in a small weizen glass. Aroma is all watermelon, real, honest to goodness watermelon. Close your eyes and you’re body will tell you that you’re sniffing a big wedge of green and red goodness. The flavor matches as does the mouthfeel. It’s fibrous. This is the real deal. While there is almost no head, there are bountiful carbonation streams giving this beer a great bite. Body is very light. Drinkability is high due to the lack of artificial flavor and only light to moderate sweetness. They were wise not to overdo it. The best watermelon wheat I’ve had… in fact the only good Watermelon Wheat I’ve had.

Note: I'm giving this beer high marks not because I loved the beer but because I feel that 21st captured the style they were going for almost perfectly.

DaPeculierDane, May 19, 2006
2.94/5  rDev -10.6%

Picked up on a trip back from Toledo. Pours a golden-straw color, fairly opaque, letting some light and opposite-side shadowing through. Wispy white head fades quickly leaving no lacing behind. Nose is full of some wheat as well as a strange hodge-podge of fruit and/or vegetables. Weirdly enough, V-8 tomato juice comes to mind; for some reason, I'm picking up big tomato hints. As time rolls on, the watermelon starts to come out more, and by the end of it, the watermelon is certainly the most prominent aroma, with a slight, astringent tartness that mixes with the sweetness from the malt and the dry wheat. The flavor is also kind of strange to say the least. It's like a light, wheat beer, heavy on the malt and wheat, mixed with some tart watermelon rind in the background. The watermelon flavors bounce in and out, but there's no mistaking the fruit - it's most definitely watermelon. It's more of an astringent, dry watermelon rind kind of flavor, where I was expecting a juicy, fruity watermelon. It's more natural than artificial tasting, though, which is most definitely a good thing. Thin body, medium carbonation.

This beer is weird. I was very excited to try it, and I thought it would actually be a little more fruity than it is. Watermelon is definitely present, but not quite in the capacity I would have liked, and not presented in the manner I would have hoped for. Still reasonably drinkable, and definitely something that I was glad to try, but I don't think I'll be getting this one again.

tectactoe, Dec 24, 2012

A "gift" from my son. Pours a very hazy yellow color with a white head and soda like carbonation. This beer was absolutely disgusting. It smelt like puke!! I checked the can date and it was only 5 weeks old so that wasn’t it.

I thought about just dumping it but it was all I had so after thinking long and hard, I remembered that if you hold your nose you can’t really taste what is in your mouth. It worked, I got it down fast. This is nasty shit!! I wish I could rate it even lower.

ExtraStout, May 14, 2012

GameOfBeers, Aug 07, 2014

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue VIII:

The can says to agitate before opening, so we know this is an unfiltered wheat. Fermented with watermelon, and watermelon juice added. The wheat really rises to the occasion with a sturdy and healthy froth, and does not want to move even after a sip or two. Golden yellow color, obvious haze from the yeast that was agitated back into the beer. Big wheat and yeast twang in the nose with a mild, fermented fruit tartness and bitterness from the rind. More than enough crispness to go around, compliments of the wheat. Moderately sized body. Quick, refreshing twang of fermented watermelon and rind that resembles a rhubarb-like flavor. Hops leave a little bit of bitterness, just enough to balance. Melon flavor throughout is light but even. Finishes with a lasting kernel of wheat malt and remnants of melon rind.

Interesting stuff here: The watermelon works with and contrasts itself at the same time. Perhaps a bit to intricate though still somewhat drinkable. Worth a shot if you are into different kinds of fruit beers.

BeerAdvocate, Sep 13, 2010

supa0525, Jul 27, 2013

EastBay_Nick, Jul 13, 2013

kuishinbo_tantei, Jul 06, 2014

Scary, Jun 21, 2014

DaftPatrick, May 11, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Cloudy yellow pour with a nice creamy white head. Smells of yeast with the faintest watermelon note, though i'm not sure if i would've gotten that blindly.

Watermelon flavor is more pronounced in my mouth, though not overwhelming. I'm not a big fan of ciders or fruit beers, but this I can handle. Very light. Almost hard to tell that it's a beer. Pairs nicely with a fresh chevre.

On a hot sunny day, my wallet would be the limiting factor of how many of these I could drink.

andyfrancis, May 18, 2010

csmartin6, Jun 01, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +14%

heddar33, Sep 09, 2012

Lazaro, Apr 20, 2013

Afroman, Aug 14, 2014
1.43/5  rDev -56.5%

Ah, with Memorial Day passing, we can officially say summer is here. And, nothing makes a warm summer day more pleasant than relaxing with a cold beer. And, few beers are more refreshing in that moment than a good wheat beer. Not too heavy - not too light ... maybe with a touch of spice, grass, or lemon or other fruit. So, why not watermelon? What is a more quintessential fruit of summer than watermelon? Which brings me to Hell or High Watermelon Wheat beer from 21st Amendment.

You know when you are done eating a piece of watermelon, and all the juicy flesh is gone, and you get down to that white part near the rind? Yet, you keep taking a bite or two more. And, you get this sour bitterness that tastes pretty much like nothing except sour bitter water with a hint of watermelon?

Yeah, that's what this beer tastes like.

I drank two cans from the 6-pack I bought from the cooler. Both the same. The next four likely will go down the drain.

Don't know if this was a bad batch or what. But, given some other reviews, maybe not.

Normally, I like most beers from 21st Amendment. But, this one was a disappointment.

DWolf, Jun 01, 2012

Chlsyhawkins, Aug 22, 2014

dieBlume, Sep 11, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -62%

TTripp725, Apr 06, 2014
3.59/5  rDev +9.1%

Presentation: It was served on tap and poured into a pint glass. The beer menu listed the abv at 4.9%.

Appearance: The body has a hazy straw yellow color with light foamy head on top. It’s head fizzled out quickly.

Smell: The aroma is fairly light overall. It brings some light wheat malt and white bready maltiness to the nose. It also has nice natural watermelon notes as well as and mild mineral like character.

Taste / Palate: It’s lightly bodied and like it’s aroma it has light pale bready and wheat maltiness with a light sweetness and an equally balanced watermelon flavor. Again like it’s aroma it also has a slight mineral flavor note and just a very light herbal hop bitterness in the finish. Notes: This is definitely a hot summer day or lawn mower beer. It’s thin and light making it easy drinking and interesting. It like that the watermelon taste is natural and some candy like flavoring added to a light wheat beer.

generallee, Jul 05, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +35.9%

Very easy to drink! This is by far my favorite summer beer! It has the feel of any other wheat beer, but the watermelon taste is so unique that it simply floored me.

The beer is slightly pink with a white head. The color of this beer really stood out to me. Initially, I thought the color seemed very artificial which made me expect an artificial flavor. But, I was wrong. There is little up front beyond a generic wheat beer, but in the aftertaste lies a brilliant watermelon flavor!

It is easy to drink and not very filling. It is slightly more alcoholic than your run of the mill macrobrews making it possible to drink a great many of these at any given time. It's a good beer to give to new beer drinkers. It's an excellent example of how diverse craft beers can be!

Nature777, Aug 05, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -53.5%

A- Looks like a nice wheat beer, nothing too exciting, medium head and worthy lacing.

S- Decent wheat notes with some watermelon, maybe a little bitterness from the hops or fruit itself, nothing unreasonable.

T- Nope, not gonna drink this. Watermelon rind, bitter awful watermelon rind and nothing else. Never poured a beer down the drain before and hope never to do it again but this is undrinkable, gross.

M- Poured it, might have been fine but I couldn't care what it felt like when it tasted wretched.

D- Couldn't handle a few sips, no way will I buy this again.

Guden, Mar 06, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me.

mikechance, Apr 25, 2011