Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,314 | Reviews: 727

My favorite beer from my time spent in San Francisco.

I would ride to the brewery at lunch to enjoy a few -- always served with a slice of watermelon. Can't say I got much done those days.

Other times I'd pick up a growler to share with friends. Ten extra pounds of awkward weight on my bicycle, climbing steep San Francisco streets, meant that I had to earn this brew. Ever climb an 18% grade hill with 2 growlers on your back? I assure you it makes the beer taste that much better.

This is the best watermelon ale out there -- the flavor doesn't taste contrived. Hooker and Opa's watermelon ales taste a bit too artificial for my liking; a little too heavy on the extract. 21A gets it right.

Prost.

This is a great summer beer for a hot day by the pool. Love it

My wife's favorite beer, hands down. It has wonderful juicy, fruity, authentic watermelon flavor that dominates the taste. Sweet & sugary, with a bit of dry grainy wheat presence on the finish that finishes it off your palette.

Great beer, light fruity easy to drink.

4.86/5  rDev +46.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is the best watermelon wheat ever made or even "fruit beer" for that matter. It nails the smooth flavor of a wheat beer and follows it up with a subtle but flavorful watermelon vibe. Not too much, not too little. Just right. Another amazing beer from 21st Amendment!

4.85/5  rDev +46.1%

I always look forward to the summer and this beer.

I drank this straight from the can while peddling the CyclePub to a brewery - after work...

First, this is a perfect combination of a fruit and beer - the soft watermelon hints pair perfectly with the wheat style. It is amazingly refreshing during a hot day (or while peddling to a brewery). Great level of carbonation too! I would highly recommend this beer to any one...

4.79/5  rDev +44.3%

Easy lawn mowing or golf course sipping beer. It's as though you were drinking the watermelon juice at the bottom of the bowl. 2 thumbs up!

4.78/5  rDev +44%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Has a great watermelon flavor

4.77/5  rDev +43.7%

in the past couple of weeks i've had it out of the can directly and poured it into a glass.

It pours a very nice light yellow with a small white head.

Smells of summer to me, with a hint of watermelon and a nice yeasty fresh smell.

Taste is perfect, you get a hint of watermelon as you drink it, other than that its got some nice spicing with the wheat and overall is just an amazing beer for hanging out bbqing and enjoying summer/warm weather. This is my new favorite summer beer.

Great light mouthfeel, with just enough kick to get your mouth excited.

Drikability is amazing. I could sit there and drink this all day absolutely fantastic.

4.74/5  rDev +42.8%

I had this beer both in a can and on-tap.

The freshest and most refreshing watermelon beer. It's not fake and its not too sweet. If you're looking for a beer, choose something else. But if you want a watermelon delicious-ness (thats still a beer), buy one.

4.68/5  rDev +41%

Slight taste of watermelon make this taste pretty good.

4.67/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great brew, I have enjoyed

4.65/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a delicious brew. I would turn this on to someone who doesn't have much experience with the hoppier craft brews but wants to develop their palate. It has just hints of fruit and is very crisp and refreshing...an excellent hot-Summer-day brew!

4.64/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Tastes good, nice refreshing warm weather brew

4.6/5  rDev +38.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasted this at the ABCF 2015. It was a top choice!

4.49/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nice summertime beer. Very refreshing!

4.47/5  rDev +34.6%

My experiences with Watermelon Wheats had not been positive so I was hesitant to try this beer. At the advice of a respected BA I gave it a shot and boy was I ever surprised. First and foremost, 21st’s WW isn’t pink. It looks like beer rather than Kool-aid. This is positive. Its body is a hazed golden lager color served in a small weizen glass. Aroma is all watermelon, real, honest to goodness watermelon. Close your eyes and you’re body will tell you that you’re sniffing a big wedge of green and red goodness. The flavor matches as does the mouthfeel. It’s fibrous. This is the real deal. While there is almost no head, there are bountiful carbonation streams giving this beer a great bite. Body is very light. Drinkability is high due to the lack of artificial flavor and only light to moderate sweetness. They were wise not to overdo it. The best watermelon wheat I’ve had… in fact the only good Watermelon Wheat I’ve had.

Note: I'm giving this beer high marks not because I loved the beer but because I feel that 21st captured the style they were going for almost perfectly.

4.47/5  rDev +34.6%

Appearance: Golden with a light amber/orange color to it. About a 10 SRM. The beer pours nice and strong giving a full inch of head. It lingers for the first few sips but after swirling it has faded away.

Scent: Light aroma, mild tartness coming from the wheat. Slight biscuity notes up front. Underneath the grain is a very mild watermelon smell. Very reminiscent of watermelon candy or watermelon italian ice. Not overpowering in the slightest.

Taste: Right up front you get a bit more of that watermelon flavor, which comes on a little bit stronger than the aroma, but still very mild. It lasts for a few seconds, mingling with the wheat’s tartness before dissipating. As soon as the watermelon fades in comes the biscuit again as the closer to finish it all out.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied. The carbonation isn’t over the top. Short on the tongue.

Overall: Between this and Abita’s Strawberry Harvest, I’m finding more fruit beers that I like. These are not pumped with artificial flavors that overpower the beer. The watermelon in this beer is so subtle that it could easily be overlooked if your not thinking about the flavors. Once you start to really dig into the beer the watermelon comes out of hiding and compliments the wheat very nicely.

4.47/5  rDev +34.6%

I've only been drinking craft beer for about 2.5 years and I know that everyone's palate is different but I really enjoy this beer! I don't enjoy sweet, syrupy, fruity beers/ciders so Hell or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is right up my alley. Somewhat dry, crisp, and perfect for a hot Phoenix, AZ pool day. I don't pick up any of the "Fake, Jolly Rancher Watermelon flavor" other reviewers have mentioned. Tastes like good ol' real watermelon to me. First had this at the 2012 AmeriCAN festival - and now I pick some up whenever I'm traveling to where 21st Amendment distributes.
Well done 21st Amendment. And Thank You!

4.44/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went in to the beer store to buy my wife a case of the new blue moon summer honey wheat or what ever it was and came across this melon wheat beer i just had to get it and hope she liked it well she didn't like it!... she LOVED it and so did I.

At first i opened the can poured it in to a glass and right off the bat ya can smell melon rind. I thought o no this is going to be bad but as it turned out this is my new best summer beer.

4.44/5  rDev +33.7%

I was pleased to find that this beer does indeed taste like watermelon, and not something with artificial "watermelon flavor" added for the sake of making it sweeter and more appealing, as happens with candy since watermelon itself is so boring. It's light in body and in color, and it's easy to drink. I'd recommend it to anyone who asked about it.

4.43/5  rDev +33.4%

12oz can into nonic.

Hazy pale golden hue with a bright white two finger head that slowly settles to a razor thin and even thin cap.

A bit of sweet watermelon bubblegum in the aroma along with some light wheat grains.

A bit of tart wheat with a splash of sweet sugary watermelon flavor. Medium bodied with higher carbonation.

Fruity wheat beers are usually a slight miss for me, but this one seems to hit the spot. Very refreshing, and the splash of watermelon is just right. I can imagine consuming gallons of this on a hot summer day. Recommended.

4.41/5  rDev +32.8%

Very easy to drink! This is by far my favorite summer beer! It has the feel of any other wheat beer, but the watermelon taste is so unique that it simply floored me.

The beer is slightly pink with a white head. The color of this beer really stood out to me. Initially, I thought the color seemed very artificial which made me expect an artificial flavor. But, I was wrong. There is little up front beyond a generic wheat beer, but in the aftertaste lies a brilliant watermelon flavor!

It is easy to drink and not very filling. It is slightly more alcoholic than your run of the mill macrobrews making it possible to drink a great many of these at any given time. It's a good beer to give to new beer drinkers. It's an excellent example of how diverse craft beers can be!

4.41/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice refreshing beer. There is a hint of watermelon which is a nice surprise. Good Summer beer.

4.4/5  rDev +32.5%

A- A great golden hazy cloud. About 2 fingers of head that goes away but not too quickly. Little to no lacing.

S- Yeasty with orange peel and melon rind and tartness

T- Really great and surprising. Its a wheat beer. So, naturally yeasty and orange and coriander spices. But mix in an even, but not overbearing, watermelon hint of flavor and you get another level. Really refreshing.

M- light body and light carbonation. Just right for this style

O- excellent sessional summer beer. Hangin at the lake. In the heat. Whatever. Taste great. I need more.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery