Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 674 | Hads: 2,386

My favorite beer from my time spent in San Francisco.

I would ride to the brewery at lunch to enjoy a few -- always served with a slice of watermelon. Can't say I got much done those days.

Other times I'd pick up a growler to share with friends. Ten extra pounds of awkward weight on my bicycle, climbing steep San Francisco streets, meant that I had to earn this brew. Ever climb an 18% grade hill with 2 growlers on your back? I assure you it makes the beer taste that much better.

This is the best watermelon ale out there -- the flavor doesn't taste contrived. Hooker and Opa's watermelon ales taste a bit too artificial for my liking; a little too heavy on the extract. 21A gets it right.

Prost. (704 characters)

My wife's favorite beer, hands down. It has wonderful juicy, fruity, authentic watermelon flavor that dominates the taste. Sweet & sugary, with a bit of dry grainy wheat presence on the finish that finishes it off your palette. (229 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +48.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is the best watermelon wheat ever made or even "fruit beer" for that matter. It nails the smooth flavor of a wheat beer and follows it up with a subtle but flavorful watermelon vibe. Not too much, not too little. Just right. Another amazing beer from 21st Amendment! (271 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +48.3%

I always look forward to the summer and this beer.

I drank this straight from the can while peddling the CyclePub to a brewery - after work...

First, this is a perfect combination of a fruit and beer - the soft watermelon hints pair perfectly with the wheat style. It is amazingly refreshing during a hot day (or while peddling to a brewery). Great level of carbonation too! I would highly recommend this beer to any one... (425 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +45.9%

in the past couple of weeks i've had it out of the can directly and poured it into a glass.

It pours a very nice light yellow with a small white head.

Smells of summer to me, with a hint of watermelon and a nice yeasty fresh smell.

Taste is perfect, you get a hint of watermelon as you drink it, other than that its got some nice spicing with the wheat and overall is just an amazing beer for hanging out bbqing and enjoying summer/warm weather. This is my new favorite summer beer.

Great light mouthfeel, with just enough kick to get your mouth excited.

Drikability is amazing. I could sit there and drink this all day absolutely fantastic. (651 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +45%

I had this beer both in a can and on-tap.

The freshest and most refreshing watermelon beer. It's not fake and its not too sweet. If you're looking for a beer, choose something else. But if you want a watermelon delicious-ness (thats still a beer), buy one. (257 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a delicious brew. I would turn this on to someone who doesn't have much experience with the hoppier craft brews but wants to develop their palate. It has just hints of fruit and is very crisp and refreshing...an excellent hot-Summer-day brew! (250 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +36.7%

My experiences with Watermelon Wheats had not been positive so I was hesitant to try this beer. At the advice of a respected BA I gave it a shot and boy was I ever surprised. First and foremost, 21st’s WW isn’t pink. It looks like beer rather than Kool-aid. This is positive. Its body is a hazed golden lager color served in a small weizen glass. Aroma is all watermelon, real, honest to goodness watermelon. Close your eyes and you’re body will tell you that you’re sniffing a big wedge of green and red goodness. The flavor matches as does the mouthfeel. It’s fibrous. This is the real deal. While there is almost no head, there are bountiful carbonation streams giving this beer a great bite. Body is very light. Drinkability is high due to the lack of artificial flavor and only light to moderate sweetness. They were wise not to overdo it. The best watermelon wheat I’ve had… in fact the only good Watermelon Wheat I’ve had.

Note: I'm giving this beer high marks not because I loved the beer but because I feel that 21st captured the style they were going for almost perfectly. (1,093 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +36.7%

Appearance: Golden with a light amber/orange color to it. About a 10 SRM. The beer pours nice and strong giving a full inch of head. It lingers for the first few sips but after swirling it has faded away.

Scent: Light aroma, mild tartness coming from the wheat. Slight biscuity notes up front. Underneath the grain is a very mild watermelon smell. Very reminiscent of watermelon candy or watermelon italian ice. Not overpowering in the slightest.

Taste: Right up front you get a bit more of that watermelon flavor, which comes on a little bit stronger than the aroma, but still very mild. It lasts for a few seconds, mingling with the wheat’s tartness before dissipating. As soon as the watermelon fades in comes the biscuit again as the closer to finish it all out.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied. The carbonation isn’t over the top. Short on the tongue.

Overall: Between this and Abita’s Strawberry Harvest, I’m finding more fruit beers that I like. These are not pumped with artificial flavors that overpower the beer. The watermelon in this beer is so subtle that it could easily be overlooked if your not thinking about the flavors. Once you start to really dig into the beer the watermelon comes out of hiding and compliments the wheat very nicely. (1,260 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +36.7%

I've only been drinking craft beer for about 2.5 years and I know that everyone's palate is different but I really enjoy this beer! I don't enjoy sweet, syrupy, fruity beers/ciders so Hell or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is right up my alley. Somewhat dry, crisp, and perfect for a hot Phoenix, AZ pool day. I don't pick up any of the "Fake, Jolly Rancher Watermelon flavor" other reviewers have mentioned. Tastes like good ol' real watermelon to me. First had this at the 2012 AmeriCAN festival - and now I pick some up whenever I'm traveling to where 21st Amendment distributes.
Well done 21st Amendment. And Thank You! (619 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went in to the beer store to buy my wife a case of the new blue moon summer honey wheat or what ever it was and came across this melon wheat beer i just had to get it and hope she liked it well she didn't like it!... she LOVED it and so did I.

At first i opened the can poured it in to a glass and right off the bat ya can smell melon rind. I thought o no this is going to be bad but as it turned out this is my new best summer beer. (434 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +35.8%

I was pleased to find that this beer does indeed taste like watermelon, and not something with artificial "watermelon flavor" added for the sake of making it sweeter and more appealing, as happens with candy since watermelon itself is so boring. It's light in body and in color, and it's easy to drink. I'd recommend it to anyone who asked about it. (349 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +35.5%

12oz can into nonic.

Hazy pale golden hue with a bright white two finger head that slowly settles to a razor thin and even thin cap.

A bit of sweet watermelon bubblegum in the aroma along with some light wheat grains.

A bit of tart wheat with a splash of sweet sugary watermelon flavor. Medium bodied with higher carbonation.

Fruity wheat beers are usually a slight miss for me, but this one seems to hit the spot. Very refreshing, and the splash of watermelon is just right. I can imagine consuming gallons of this on a hot summer day. Recommended. (555 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +34.9%

Very easy to drink! This is by far my favorite summer beer! It has the feel of any other wheat beer, but the watermelon taste is so unique that it simply floored me.

The beer is slightly pink with a white head. The color of this beer really stood out to me. Initially, I thought the color seemed very artificial which made me expect an artificial flavor. But, I was wrong. There is little up front beyond a generic wheat beer, but in the aftertaste lies a brilliant watermelon flavor!

It is easy to drink and not very filling. It is slightly more alcoholic than your run of the mill macrobrews making it possible to drink a great many of these at any given time. It's a good beer to give to new beer drinkers. It's an excellent example of how diverse craft beers can be! (774 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +34.6%

A- A great golden hazy cloud. About 2 fingers of head that goes away but not too quickly. Little to no lacing.

S- Yeasty with orange peel and melon rind and tartness

T- Really great and surprising. Its a wheat beer. So, naturally yeasty and orange and coriander spices. But mix in an even, but not overbearing, watermelon hint of flavor and you get another level. Really refreshing.

M- light body and light carbonation. Just right for this style

O- excellent sessional summer beer. Hangin at the lake. In the heat. Whatever. Taste great. I need more. (554 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the perfect backyard BBQ beer. Smooth and crisp with a delicious blend of watermelon that isn't too overbearing with little after taste. An all around perfect beer for those late summer nights in the yard with friends. (226 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The watermelon wheat looks like any unfiltered wheat beer: amber and cloudy. It has a white bubbly head that thins quickly. The nose is almost all wheat grain. It isn't until the first drink that you get a hint of watermelon. It is subtle, but noticeable, and adds a bit of sweetness to the beer. The closest I can get to describing the flavor is watermelon Jolly Rancher, but it not nearly that overpoweringly sweet. More like someone near you is eating a watermelon Jolly Rancher and you occasionally get a whiff. I was surprised to find that the watermelon is a nice complement to the wheatiness of the beer. Not a beer I would drink every day, but very good; much better than I expected. (691 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +33.6%

Hazy gold, mildly turbid. Clean, sweet, slightly fruity smell. Taste: sour watermelon, sweetness of a wheat, hops linger. Can see myself craving this as a replacement for a sour beer when sours/wilds are not available. Really good balance among the 3 tastes w/o losing anything. Mouthfeel is light, watery. Drinkability is excellent. (333 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +33.6%

Perfect summer beer. Cool and refreshing. Smooth light wheat taste with great real watermelon after taste. Doesn't have that generic fake watermelon after taste like a candy. No bitterness. Comparable to most light beers in wheat flavor but with the additional summer fruitiness. (279 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +33%

I'm not a big fan of watermelon at all, but I absolutely enjoyed and loved this beer.
Pours a light, cloudy gold in color. Nice inch of frothy head forms on the pour. Smell is nice, juicy watermelon as well as some wheat. Taste is very nice. Very refreshing and welcome on a hot, humid, memorial day. The watermelon flavor never gets old or cloying. Surprising on how well it worked in the beer and how with myself not even being a watermelon fan, thoroughly loved this beer. I could drink nothing but this on a hot summer day. Very good beer. (543 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I used to work in the neighborhood of 21st Amendment, and this quickly became a favorite summertime beer. Your first reaction to hearing the name is "watermelon? in a beer?". But watermelon provides a suprisingly light and refreshing twist to a wheat beer. After drinking it, we all had the sudden desire to try to brew it ourselves.

It arrives with a nice head, nice clear color, and a slice of watermelon (instead of the typical lemon). The taste is all beer, with just a hint of watermelon - enough to make a difference without feeling cloying or gimmicky. The draught is very refreshing, cutting through any flavors in whatever food you may be eating and cleansing your palette. Perfect with one of their great burgers, before strolling down to a game. (759 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +31.8%

Really refreshing beer. I can sit back and throw down multiples of these on a nice summer day. There is a hint of watermelon on the nose. The finish is where the watermelon really shows up. It's not forward or subtle but you get the watermelon. Tasty stuff. (257 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +31.5%

I truly like this summer beer! It's refreshing and has hints of REAL watermelon. Light carbonation, easy to drink and makes your taste buds call for another. When I see this beer in the summer months...I buy it!

Bottom Line: If you like wheat beers and you like watermelon..this is it! Worth the 10 spot for the six. (317 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +31.5%

This beer pours a hazy golden straw color with a thick white head.

Some wheat twange, citrus, bready yeast, and almost jolly rancher like watermelon.

I nice smooth wheat flavor. Light refreshing a little twange and the watermelon is just barely there, I would almost mistake it for a cucumber flavor if I didn't know it was watermelon.

The mouthfeel is for lack of a better word perfect. If feels like silk in your mouth.

I don't think a beer gets more drinkable than this. A smooth refeshing wheat beer with a nice light fruit flavor just under the surface. (562 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +31.2%

By my rating, you can tell I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I was looking for a slighlty sweet summer beer to have during cook outs and BBQs, or sitting by the pool and relaxing in the sun. Sit back with a BBQ burger, fruit salad, and enjoy the sunny day.

A: Average for a beer. You can see lots of carbonation, and there is not much of a head. But for a crisp, summer beer, I don't WANT a large head on my beer. Also, an extra .5 for the can design.

S: GREAT. Crack open the can and pour and just smell grain and fresh melon. One of those beers you love to take a full nose full when you drink.

T: The melon is more in the background of the taste. You get just the quick hint of bitterness, then the flavor of some more popular wit beers, where replacing some citrus notes is the melon. It does not linger long at all, but it refreshes very well.

MF: The high carbonation just works with the overall package. It is every so slighlty syrupy as well. It all helps the beer become a refreshing package.

To those who have bought a 6 pack and don't enjoy it, save one for a BBQ, and give it another shot. For low bitterness/refreshing summer beers, this is one of my favorites. (1,178 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery