Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 688 | Hads: 2,484
2.97/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a very very pale golden with a few thin strands of bubbles rising from the bottom. A reasonable head formed upon pour, but quickly left just a thin layer that clung just a bit to the sides. Aroma was a bit off putting, smelled slightly sour with a hint of pickles and grain. Taste was of watered down watermelon bubble gum or diluted sorbet. Not a natural flavor, but one that was easily identifiable. Felt thin and watery in the mouth. Didn't coat at all and had just a tad of carbonation while drinking. Overall was a blah beer. Might be fun to bust out as a gimmick while friends are over at a BBQ mid summer, but nothing I would want to drink on a regular basis.

2.97/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Straw yellow beer that was slightly hazy. One finger bubble head rose up and disappeared quickly to nothing. No anything left on the sides.

S - Pale malts, mild mild hopping, and a slight bit of watermelon. Doesn't smell bad, doesn't really smell good.

T - Taste is actually okay. Some pale, sweet malts and a late breaking bit of watermelon that is actually pretty watermelon tasting. It's not bad, maybe could be drank at picics as opposed to BMC.

M - Light, decent carbontion.

O - Not a good beer, not a bad beer. Not a good beer. Easy to get down, but pretty much of non-consequence.

2.97/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours out a nice yellow in color maybe a little darker than yellow but pretty close. Definitely a healthy two-finger white head with decent retention but really nice lacing.

Smell is pretty mellow with not much in the nose at all. Maybe a little sweet malts and that's about all I get.

Taste is quite different. There is a TINY bit of watermelon but I would not have guessed it if I didn't see the name. The backbone is sorta there but there really isn't much to this beer.

Mouthfeel is basically what I would expect from a wheat beer like this as it is quite thin.

Overall this is just not the beer I expected. It's not a decent wheat beer and I really only get a TINY bit of anything resembling watermelon or fruit. That being said it's not a bad beer but it isn't much better than a bud or something. I would not recommend this beer as it was a total letdown.

2.97/5  rDev -9.5%

Not something I disliked necessarily but I was actually hoping it would have a bit more of the watermelon flavor.

Poured nice and I was hopeful after getting the first smell but after tasting it I was dissappointed. If I hadn't know what it was supposed to be I may not have guessed it, very light on the flavor.

Otherwise it drinks just like a light lager beer to me, not much to it. Gimmicky is how I described it to my GF.

Will I finish the six pack, yes. Will I buy again, probably not.

2.96/5  rDev -9.8%

A: cloudy yellow with a thick white head that dies down to a thin line of bubbles.

S: Smells like a wheat beer with a very slight watermelon aroma in the background.

T: Interesting. The is an immediate melon flavor that mixes with the bready malt and wheat. I thought the sweetness was going to be out of control, but it wasn't that bad. The aftertaste isn't that great, sort of a residual musty melon flavor. Aftertaste brings it down, kind of gross.

M: Good mouthfeel. Light, smooth and good carbonation.

O: It's interesting. Doesn't taste too great

2.96/5  rDev -9.8%

I am currently enjoying this beer after a long walk home from work in the summer heat:

A: very little, if any visible head. Slightly murky (as I would expect of an unfiltered wheat)
s: kind of like bud light. not impressed or excited upon smelling it.
t: this is where I got a bit confused... at first it tastes a bit bland a watery, but it rounds out a bit towards the swallow and finishes with a kick of watermelon followed by a bitterness. interesting and refreshing.
m: nothing special, high carbonation, watery.

2.95/5  rDev -10.1%

Hazed sun yellow boddy. Thin fluffy white head. Sporadic lace coats the glass in patches as I drink. Aroma is sweet, bright and melony. Interesting flavor, though it's not my thing. This is the first watermelon beer I've tried and may be the last. I don't get any real specific watermelon flavor other than a juicy sweetness. The wheat base is very average. Nothing really stands out here. Could drink some of these in summer if nothing else was available.

2.95/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a weizen glass from a can. Bottling date is clearly stated at the bottom of the can as "03/02/13."

Pours a hazed, cloudy yellowish-amber look that is pretty typical to beers of this style. A nice foamy head coats the top of the glass (especially with my added extra aggressive pour), but it eventually dwindles down to pretty much nothing but a ring. Bubbles are disappointingly modest here, as well as lacing. The liquid is pretty thick in appearance, and the yeast is definitely noticeable. Still, nothing too showy or impressive. Say... I'd never guess there was watermelon in this thing by looking at it though!

Right at the front of the nose they definitely nailed spot-on the exclusive watermelon ingredient, alongside lightly tinged spices known in wheat beers. The watermelon is slightly sweet, juicy and vibrant, and also provides an off-finish resembling cantaloupe, or some barley ripe green melon. The smell overpowers other aspects in the aroma, but I am picking up some hearty wheat yeastiness, a little bit of herbal character, and lightly packed bready notes, but the watermelon concentrate and rinds really are the star here. In terms of experimenting, they definitely got something interesting and refreshing going on here, but it is unbalanced in displaying all of the beer's aspects.

The flavor, however, is a bit bizarre in following up the aroma. Lots of watermelon dried peel flavors come in, and finish in a soured, candied manner. Coriander and slightly muted spices soon follow, as well as a yeasty, bright character. The melon rinds become progressively tarty, especially as this warms up, and rather than taste juicy and thick, this beer instead comes off as needlessly dry and grainy. There's an astringent aftertaste that resembles sandpaper-like feel, which is strange. The alcohol, despite being below 5%, is surprisingly present here to the point of distraction. Carbonation is low, and there's a slight watery, thinned feel in the finish. Definitely not the most pleasing wheat beer to drink overall.

This is a strange one alright, and while I appreciate the watermelon rind tartness going on here, the beer lacks all of the hearty, chewy characteristics I love in wheat beers. I paired this with actual watermelon, and it was easier to drink... But then I realized that the watermelon fruit itself was more flavorful and juicy and muted the beer as a result. The extra graininess, alcohol burn, and thinness does not make this as refreshing as other Spring/Summer alternatives. For fans of novelty beers, do try this, but I can't recommend this as much as I'd like to.

Got this for 1.99 at a Beer Nutz store in Fox Chapel

A - Drank it from the can but could assume it's a pale yellow color.
S - Man it smells great! Almost like Jolly Ranchers! I hope it at least tastes good.
T - Meh. That's really it. The great smell is replaced by a sub par lager taste with little or no watermelon to speak of.
M - I rarely throw out a brew but I couldn't get more than 75 percent down without gagging.
D - wouldn't want to try anymore of their beers! I think they just take MGD and ferment it with an artificial fruit flavor and mark up the cost.

My rating is fair but please avoid if you can!

2.94/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Pours a very pale light hazy yellow with one finger fluffy white head. Not much color. Good retention though

S - Smells of berries & light malts. Vert light aroma. I did not detect any watermelon.

T - Tastes of mixed berries right up front. Slight malt background. Still no watermelon. Over all disappointing.

M - Very lgiht beer. Pretty watery. Does go down easy

O - Very disappointed. I was looknig forward to trying this beer but it didnt have much flavor or aroma. The berry flavor it did have seemed artificial. Im not sure where they are picking up the watermelon at

look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The waitress told it was highly recommended.
Strange color, smell wasn't bad, feel was all wrong. Most importantly taste, not bad but only appeals to a limited crowd.

2.93/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Poured brilliant yellow and fairly clear. The head was about 1/2" thick and off white. As it settled it became slightly cloudy and the head dissipated quickly, down to a thin coating.

S - It smells sweet, fruity, barley any hops are in there. It's almost cloyingly sweet.

T - The taste of melon is up front, followed by the grain and hint of hop in the finish. Then the watermelon comes back. It's not as sweet as it smells. There is an oddly sweet aftertaste.

M - A bit thinner that I expected, but pretty close for the style. The sweet meloniness sticks to the tongue.

D - This one is not exactly in my wheel house, but those that like sweet wheat's, this may be OK. I think I will only have one. Certainly not my favorite offering from 21A

2.93/5  rDev -10.7%

An elusive beer just arrived locally.

Cloudy amber colored beer with a tall white head.

Smell is wheat and citrus with a faint vegetable funk that smells more like pumpkin than anything else.

Taste starts out neutral with a fairly strong watermelon caramel flavor. Something like a wheat beer in a glass that got some Midori dropped in it. Tastes sort of like old candy.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Blech! IPA Please! NOT the tastiest beer this brewer makes. Worth a shot to taste the hype.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A - I chose to drink this one from the can since that's a large part of their marketing for their beers. However, I haven't seen anything stating whether or not their intent is for you to pour it into a glass or not. The cans state that they keep a beer fresher, and then talks about recycling, etc... I would assume that the intent to to pour into a proper glass, and let the beer warm up to the proper temperature, though this takes much longer with a can coming out of a fridge. So, I said fuck it, and drank it right out of the can.

S - It smelled very fruity/watermellony(its a word), but almost candy like...very bubbalicious watermelon gum. There was also a "skunky" smell coming off of it that reminded me of imported german lagers or "turned" green bottle lagers.

T - I was surprised by the subtlty of the watermelon flavor, and the utter lack of wheat characteristics. This basically tastes like a macro-lager with a subtle watermelon undertone. I will try it again in a glass and warm it up to see if it opens up a bit. All-in-all, its not a bad beer, its simply unremarkable.

D - It was actually very drinkable... if you're looking for an easy drinking, refreshing macro-lager type beer to down 10 or 15 of at a party, but you still want to feel superior to people slamming natty light, this would work well.

Serving type: 12oz Can, no glass, 40 deg

2.92/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Picked up on a trip back from Toledo. Pours a golden-straw color, fairly opaque, letting some light and opposite-side shadowing through. Wispy white head fades quickly leaving no lacing behind. Nose is full of some wheat as well as a strange hodge-podge of fruit and/or vegetables. Weirdly enough, V-8 tomato juice comes to mind; for some reason, I'm picking up big tomato hints. As time rolls on, the watermelon starts to come out more, and by the end of it, the watermelon is certainly the most prominent aroma, with a slight, astringent tartness that mixes with the sweetness from the malt and the dry wheat. The flavor is also kind of strange to say the least. It's like a light, wheat beer, heavy on the malt and wheat, mixed with some tart watermelon rind in the background. The watermelon flavors bounce in and out, but there's no mistaking the fruit - it's most definitely watermelon. It's more of an astringent, dry watermelon rind kind of flavor, where I was expecting a juicy, fruity watermelon. It's more natural than artificial tasting, though, which is most definitely a good thing. Thin body, medium carbonation.

This beer is weird. I was very excited to try it, and I thought it would actually be a little more fruity than it is. Watermelon is definitely present, but not quite in the capacity I would have liked, and not presented in the manner I would have hoped for. Still reasonably drinkable, and definitely something that I was glad to try, but I don't think I'll be getting this one again.

2.92/5  rDev -11%

A- Can poured into pint glass with a hazy golden body. A two-finger white head forms but you can almost tell it is gonna have mediocre retention because of the fizzy texture. All semblance of the cap dies out and no lace is left behind, juicy appearance.

S- Definite melon note that somehow makes me think of sweet vanilla flavoring. Not much beyond that, just some light malt and yeast hints.

T- Pretty much what the label would lead you to think. A light base beer with notes of yeast bread, citrus and pale caramel malts blended with watermelon concentrate. The watermelon flavor feels more authentic than similar beers using stronger flavored fruit.

MF- Creamy light feeling body overall. High carbonation goes down smoothly. Tiny bitterness but mostly sweets in the finish.

The watermelon flavor is more authentic that I expected but the beer overall just doesn't do it for me. The flavors don't blend all that well and I am left with a clash between yeast and fruit.

2.92/5  rDev -11%

12oz can shared courtesy of TomDecapolis.

Poured a medium and lightly hazy golden color with an averaged white head. Aromas of watermelon & watermelon rind. The aroma was nice (just like having a watermelon in front of you). Tastes of watermelons, grainy, and wheat.

Notes from and tasted on 1/5/07.

2.91/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On draft at The String Bean, Belmont, NC. Poured in a standard US pint glass.

Pours hazy with a fair amount of visible carbonation, very little head and a nice bit of oily lacing that persists throughout the experience. I can faintly smell watermelon, but I also know it's supposed to be there. I can definitely taste it, along with some bitter rind and some thin standard flavors of a lesser wheat beer. I'm glad I tried it.

2.9/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When you order it at the brewery you get a slice of watermelon in the glass. When you drink it at home, you hear the pop of the can...

Pours a cloudy yellowy orange. If that is a color on the color wheel.

I think it actually smells like vomit. The kind of vomit that is that yellow bile stuff, with a metallic tinge to it. Alcoa vomit from a can.

Tastes better than it smells. Delicate watermelon tastes with some light sweet malt. Good taste.

Kind of a bitter sweet aftertaste.

If this beer were a song, it would be "every rose has its thorn" by Poison. Cheesy, yet memorable. It also gave us Rock of Love 2 and daisy.

2.9/5  rDev -11.6%

pours a clear and clean sunshine yellow color with a white somewhat clinging ring.this looked like a mt.dew with some lace to me.. the smell is grain and slight malt and yeast with an unripe watermelon smell..the taste is exactly like the smell its really just average i dont like the unripe watermelon after tatse( although not overpowering to the taste)..and thats what you are left with sip or gulp..this is not a wheat i will buy there are so many others year round and seasonal and i do enjoy wheat beers..this one is below average..not recommended

12oz can into no nic pint glass

A - hazy lite yellow with little to no head.

S - watermelon is only apparent with some effort. Overall weak wheat flavor with a tease of melon.

T - again weak wheat base with a tease of melon. With it were more pronounced to be something different. Just not much going on here. Easy to drink but forgettable.

M - light bodied and easy drinking. Finishes as easy as you would expect for such a weak beer.

O - not horrible but not special by any means. Almost interesting enough to seek out but I don't think I'll be having another. At best a novelty but not enough character to be good one.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked up a single at Princeton Liquors. This is my second watermelon beer, but isn't as good as that Roy Pitz I had. While generally clean and interesting, the flavor isn't terribly pleasant - coming off like triscuits and cucumber salad. Sure, it kinda tastes like watermelon, but it's like the rind and seeds got ground up in added into the juice. No fun.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz can poured into a Widmer hefe glass.

A: Hazy yellow straw, no head, no lacing.

S: Rotten vegetables, yeast, some watermelon.

T: A more pronounced watermelon flavor. Slightly sweet, wheaty and malty. Nothing too crazy, pretty subdued flavors.

M: Medium body, but closer to thin. Medium carbonation.

D: Easy drinker, would be good on a hot day if I couldn't find any water. Nothing special.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a shaker pint. Sickly pinkish yellow color with a big bubble head that quickly disappears. No lacing. Watermelon is the predominant aroma. And it tastes like watermelon too. If not for the watermelon there would be little if any flavor. Could not drink much of this. Great name and I'm saving the can but I don't think I'll be having any more.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

a - pours light yellow with a white head.

s - some watermelon, but not as much as i expected. good amount of wheat.

t - big grainy wheat flavor with watermelon along side it. does not mix well. taste is way to grassy/grainy. like eating straight wheat grains. hop bitterness doesnt help any either.

m - light and bubbly. as i would expect from a light fruit beer. this aspect is on target.

overall - would not recommend this. just not appealing at all.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery