Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 686 | Hads: 2,455
2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

On tap at 21st Amendment. After a long bike ride around San Francisco, I was looking for something refreshing and tasty. I was disappoitned.

A: Unfiltered. Cloudy gold served with a watermelon wedge. No head and low carbonation.

S: Lots of watermelon. It gives the impression that it's a standard American pale wheat beer with 400 lbs of watermelon in the mash.

T: A good watermelon sweetness across the front of the tongue. The flavors dissipate fast, meaning a dry finish. There were no residual flavors save a light 'wheatiness.'

M: Thin, but inoffensive. And not memorable.

D: Very summery and light. Easy to down a pint despite its lack of flavor.

Overall, mediocre but not offensive. Not recommended. (724 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Canned on 3/26/12.

Appearance: Hazy yellow color with a small fizzy head that receded quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Wheat backbone, citrus, and not much else.

Taste: Distinct watermelon up front. Kind of a generic "light" beer taste otherwise.

Mouthfeel: Light body, lots of carbonation, and crisp.

Overall: Not for everyone, but it is as advertised. If the watermelon flavor appeals to you, it might be worth having a can on a hot day. (443 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a slightly golden yellow color with a thin fizzy white head.

S- The aroma features some malt and wheat along with a faint watermelon smell.

T- Some malt and wheat flavors with really faint watermelon flavors in the background. Not much notable hop flavor.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation that is pretty cheap and macro lager feeling. But hey, there are no seeds to spit out!

D- Pretty run of the mill, I get bored with this one pretty quickly.

Overall, Hell or High Watermelon is a pretty average brew that I won't be jumping at to purchase again. (632 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Drinking my first beer from 21 amendment... Not happy. Might as well of cracked a bud light open. Lacked personality, flavor, bite, and so much more. Looks like they mashed a few old watermelons and hoped for the best. (222 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -12.2%

A: slightly hazy light straw. good inch and a half of fine-grained white head, supported by strong carbonation.

S: vegetal. melon. no strong hops. melon coming through a bit stronger.

T: creamy, watery, biscuty wheat with unidentifiable melon notes. the melon does cross over from "watermelon" to "cantalope" a bit; not desireable.

M: fine.

D: medium. The taste and novelty just wear out after a while. Had this been colder, or had I more of a thirst for a light refreshing beverage, it might work. On a hot summer day, maybe; on this cool fall day, not so much. (566 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -12.2%

Had a small sample of this at the Oregon Brewers Fest, and thought it wasn't too bad. Thought I would give it another shot when I had better taste buds.

A- A hazy straw yellow with a rapidly dissipating foamy head.

S- There is an earthy straw/wheat smell to the beer. I'm getting some clove and slight banana with a touch of jolly rancher watermelon.

T- This is very grain/wheat/straw tasting. It is almost like chewing on a handful of straw. There is a slight watermelon taste, but not enough to wow me or for me to even take notice. If I didn't read the can or know what I was drinking I wouldn't know to even look for it, let alone find it.

M- Light and thin, not too thick which is great.

D- Easy to drink for sure, smooth and great session beer. (758 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from can into 10oz glass. Poured a cloudy, hazy yellow with over an inch of white head that almost instantly disappeared and left no trace of having existed.

Typical wheat beer aroma except for the watermelon scent. Same for the taste, there's not much behind the fruit.

The body was typical for a wheat beer, perhaps slightly thin. The drinkability took a penalty for the sticky sweetness. Overall, not a bad beer, I could see throwing a few cans in the cooler for a day tubing on the Nooksack, but this isn't something I'll drink regularly. (551 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a pale straw color with a thin film of head. The nose has yeast and fruity notes. This offering is super light (too light). The dominant flavor is light fruit accompanied by a fake sour essence that is not terribly pleasant. The finish is semi-dry with more tangy sourness. There is not much flavor here in general. (321 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -12.8%

6 pack of cans from Roth’s Sunnyside Market, S.Salem.$7.99 says 4.9% alc on the can. Appearance? Murkey golden yellow..almost like a farmhouse cider, tiny white bubbly head. Really picking up next to nothing as far as aroma..some hay and dough maybe. Picking up the water melon in the taste right away and its not candy type but real watermelon..after that its just wheatiness..VERY simple. Thin mouthfeel but you cant hold that against it per style. Overall very dissapointed..very very boring even in the heat. (514 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Light pale wheat beer look, typical for the style

S- Smell of watermelon, hops, slight sour malt

t= Wheat beer with decent carbonation, very slight hops with flavors of watermelon rind

M- Mouthfeel was good, good carbonation

D- Ehh, its 'drinkable' if you like it.

This beer is just not my thing. I waited to review until after I drank all six beers over the last week. Just didnt like it. The watermelon turned me off. I think with out the melon it would probably be a great sessionable wheat beer. It was just to weird for me, but I can see how other people might like this. However it wont discourage me from trying their other styles. (646 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -12.8%

The best part of this beer is the aroma, it's a pale yellow in color although I did only pour out a small amount for color review and drank it from the can as intended with this brew. I found the taste bland and for a beer hyped on watermelon with watermelon juice added the sweetness is non-existent. The finish is boring not leaving you with much of anything and not overly desire more. (388 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -12.8%

Emptied into a Sam Adams glass, a light, foamy head developed which dissipated in short order. Appearance was a straw, yellow with a hazy hue. Aroma was light with fruity, sweet hints and slightly sour on the back. Taste was fruity and did remind me of the white part of the watermelon. Taste was also light with a hint of sour. Aftertaste was very light and a bit sour and fruity. Mouthfeel was watery. (403 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

My girlfriend and I were looking for a light, new, easy drinker the other day. Thought this would be it...and it was...just wasn't anything special...and definitely not worth the price. Drank out of a can, but will not voluntarily buy it again.. (245 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -13.1%

Kind of a let down. Picked up a six pack of this for a really hot day in hopes of sipping at a refreshing summer beer. The watermelon flavor doesn’t really mesh with the beer well. It tastes really artificial like watermelon candy. If you want a watermelon beer I would recommend Thomas Hooker if possible. (308 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good marketing for this brewery and beer. Let's see how it holds up for experience.
The watermelon has a sweet fruity quality that isn't quite what I'd expect for watermelon. Also contains a bit of a vegetable quality too. Kinda' summer vegatable garden. Not that enticing.
Head left very quickly and quite loudly. Mostly clear golden and lots of bubbles rising in Sam Adams glass.
Taste is like aroma in that it's more generic vegatable than sweet watermelon. More the greens than the sweet fruit or meat. Mildly dry with a touch of hop bitterness. Certainly holds Am. wheat style qualities.
Feel is right for style with ample carbonation.
Not what I expected and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't seek this out on it's own. Now I'm gonna' try this with lunch (a "big salad") and it might do quite well with that, otherwise I'd generally pass. (837 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -13.8%

Thanks to Bennettrox for the CAN!

Average looking pour. Pale, hazy, sunny color. White finger of head, but dissipates way too fast to nothing.

Aroma is mostly fruity; watermelon I suppose, maybe a hint bready.

Light watermelon taste, fruity, slightly hoppy. and that's about much.

Light, crisp, low carbonation.

Overall, not a bad beer. Definitely interesting, and I'm glad I tried it. I think I'd like it on a hot day. (427 characters)

I had this on tap at the pour farm in New Bedford, MA

Pored a typical maco brew looking gold with small yellow fizzy head that turned into nothing. Smelled like a typical macro beer, kinda corny, not much smell. Watermelon obviously.

tastes good if you really enjoy fruit beers. I don't mind fruit beers, but this one just isnt for me. The watermelon tastes like a jolly rancher dipped into a bud light.

Mouthfeel is pretty average.

Drinkability is average because I can't see myself craving these.

overall: I really don't get what all the hype is about. Overrated. (571 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Pale gold, slightly hazy, and big bubbles. Looks like a light wheat.

S: Barely any watermelon, bready grains and yeast.

T: Boring and light. Some weak and bland dried watermelon and light grains. Very slight sweetness and some dryness.

M: Refreshing for the summer and bubbly, it drinks like a light soda.

O: Not my thing. Not enough "punch." It's bland and clean, so it may appeal to people who like lighter tasting beers. (431 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -13.8%

Canned 3/26/12 if that matters.

A: Pours a lightly cloudy light golden with a very fizzy and short lived white head that quickly faded into nothingness leaving no lace. Very soda-like looking carbonation.
S: I get pale notes of cracked wheat with sweeter hints of perfume-like fruit. The nose is light, crispy, and slightly synthetic.
T: A hint of watermelon pokes through light notes of grains and wheat, but it’s really more an essence or suggestion of fruit rather than an in-your-face watermelon experience. The finish is very crackery and the aftertaste is quick and forgetful. There’s something that reminds me of vegetable stew in there as well, although it’s in the background.
M: Carbonation is definitely overly fizzy and sharp like drinking a soda. Once it dies down in my mouth the body is medium but the mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and greasy.
O: Not terrible but not the most appealing beer out there. I cold with a meal maybe, but I don’t need to drink this again. (990 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured into a Perfect Pint glass. Formed a thin, fizzy, white head. Lightning fast dissipation of the bubbles left no signs of lacing in it's wake. The body is a crystal clear pale yellow...I was expecting it to be hazy...

Odd nose...but some truth in advertising. You can detect a malted yeast smell, fermented grains and notes of watermelon...maybe a little on the candy-like side.

The flavors are even more odd than the nose. The start is light and wheat-ish that turns into a strange, almost sour taste...imagine water soaked alfalfa. I cannot detect any of the watermelon I was able to smell...maybe it was imagined!

Light mouth feel with moderate carbonation.

I guess this is drinkable, but not my cup o' tea. Worth a try, but I will not be buying this again. (769 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -14.1%

A-Pours a cloudy golden color with minimal head retention. Looks like a macro lager/hefeweizen combo.

S-I really don't smell anything. Sort of sweet , but nothing else.

T-BIG watermelon taste with this one. Very sweet. Mild hop character on the tongue. Tastes like summer.

M-Very crisp and refreshing. Once again, it screams summer.

O-Overall this a decent brew. I can totally see myself drinking this during the summer months with a hot dog in one hand and this beer in the other watching the Red Sox. (506 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I poured this watery beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. Not cold enough! The beer was a pee colored concoction but did poor a really pretty big white head. i was hopeful. Slight watermelon smell first then kinda sour smell. Worried. Slightly cloudy looking also. The beer was VERY watery tasting. Kinda like watermelon kool aid that half the flavor packet had not made it into the mix. I will not buy this beer again. (418 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass at around 42F.

A - Light straw colored body that is slightly hazy with over 2-finger white head. No lacing whatsoever.

S - Little going on here - some wheat for sure is there, and the watermelon is detectable, but the overall scent is quite mild, and one-sided. No hops to speak of.

T - Well, no aluminum for me so that is a plus. Otherwise, this comes off as a very mild wheat beer with the additive watermelon that is quite forward actually. It is surely not an unpleasant taste, but doesn't taste nearly as good as it sounded when I first saw the sixer and decided to try it. No hops to speak of here either. Drink it cold - the taste worsens as it warms...

M - Hmm, BMC-like in it's wateriness. Pretty high carbonation, but a 3 rating is probably generous here.

D - Sure, its good in that this could be refreshing on a hot day, but it surely does leave one disappointed in the overall package. Perhaps good to bring to a summer BBQ, but not really the type of beer to savor. (1,019 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Pale yellow with white head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Light, and a little rice scent in there. Some earthy tones as well. Not a lot of watermelon.

T: The first thing I get is a 'dish sponge' taste.. Dirty or grimy.. Definitely some nice watermelon in there at the end, it tastes like real watermelon, not like a syrup, or flavoring. Overall it tastes a little dirty, and watery. Interesting, but not my bag.

M: Carbonation is good, though the mouthfeel is a little watery.

D: No thanks. Might be great for some folks as a summer beer, but there is something right at the front that I just can't get past. It tastes like someone wiped up watermelon juice with a dish sponge and carbonated it. I like their other offerings though, and would love to see more of their beers distributed here. (807 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -14.4%

I brought back a six-pack of cans from a recent trip to San Francisco for the wife and I to try out. I've been eager to try this one for a while, a bit disappointed 21st didn't have it on tap.

Can poured into a pint glass.
Can graphics: 3/10. Ugly.

A: Super hazy dark yellow colored pour with a thin off white head. Decent amount of lacing and carbonation a bit out of control but it looks to be refreshing.

S: Clearly wheaty, and I guess thats the watermelon in there. It does have the scent of an aged fruit, almost candied. Having not known, watermelon wouldn't have been guess number one.

T: Sweet candy flavor with a yeasty backing. The taste falls off as you drink more. Sugary and infused carbonated drink comes on later. Reminiscent of a zima, not a good thing.

Not the worst, but not too good either. Still the best watermelon infused beer I've ever had (and worst)

M: Too sweet for me in the long run, too fake sugared. I was expecting something like a summer wheat beer but thats not it- this is much more of a carbonation explosion.

D: I guess it has it's place in the world and I am glad I got a chance to try, but this is surely not one I would seek out again or waste luggage space on. (1,207 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery