1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,467 | Reviews: 583 | Show All Ratings:
ZeroSignal

2.25/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from the can

A - Slightly hazy yellow with an inch or so of pretty vigorous head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass. No lacing, carbonation not very visible.

S - All around pretty light in the nose; I pick up some sugary sweetness and some yeasty aroma and that's about it.

T&M - Very sweet and sugary; there is certainly watermelon flavors, but unfortunately it tastes like artificial watermelon to me; it reminds me of a watermelon flavored gum I used to buy as a kid. Carbonation is very light. The mouthfeel is soft and fluffy, but there is something going on here that coats my mouth and is not pleasant.

D - I suppose I see a market for this, but this isn't for me. The watermelon is artificial tasting, and I find the sweetness slightly cloying. I'm not even going to finish what I poured; the wife is going to have to take one for the team.

06-27-2010 01:54:00 | More by ZeroSignal
engagechad

2.25/5  rDev -30.3%

Purchased as a single from Whole Foods in Shortpump - Glen Allen, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a yellowy straw color, decent head.. but mostly unattractive. Smells kind of pissy in a way and there is a faint scent of watermelon seeds.. not so much watermelon but like when you accidentally chew on a seed. Tastes kind of pissy and watery in a way. Again the watermelon flavor is just not there at all other than a faint after though of a seed. Feels okay as far as body goes but the pissy watermelon seed garbage is kind of in the way.

Overall I would advise against this beer. I would love to try some of this brewery's other offerings as I have heard some good things. Hopefully this wont affect my perception of their other brews.

05-10-2011 14:06:13 | More by engagechad
DrewKid4

New Hampshire

Served in a can from Brick Store Pub, Atlanta, GA

A: Pale orange with no head. Seemed to look like a flat watermelon soda than a beer.

S: Hardly watermelon or even beer. If something can smell sour, this did.

T: Like watermelon juice and carbonated water. No malts or hops.

M: Dry and uninteresting. The watermelon taste had to grow on me. Maybe there was some wheat flavor but once this was in my mouth, I didn't care to think about favors anymore, just to get rid of it as soon as possible.

D: I'm wondering if this was on the shelf too long or something because I had abad experience with this brew. I would have assumed this to be a lot lower rated on here than it is. I would not find this drinkable in a beer situation at all.

10-13-2010 16:38:32 | More by DrewKid4
inlimbo77

Delaware

2.2/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured from 12oz can into DFH pint glass. No canning date is present on the packaging. It is a seasonal release, so I am assuming it isn't that old. **Preface: Not my favorite style. Purchased for wife who likes wheats.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color. Pretty much no head at all. Carbonation is not great. Some lacing.

S: Mostly yeasty. Strange smells. When I really got in there I got some fruit (melon) smells but not as overpowering as I was expecting.

T: The flavor of this is strange. Really different. I get the watermelon but it's just kind of off putting actually. I really didn't like this at all and almost drain-poured the last 1/4 of it.

M: Very watery (thank god actually). Nothing that lingers with you.

O: I like 21st Amendment and most of their offerings, just not into this one. I bought a 6-pack and THANK GOD the wife likes it....she'll be drinking the rest of it alone!

05-06-2011 16:35:11 | More by inlimbo77
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Can: Poured a light yellow color ale with a small pure white foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of watermelon and light wheat malt is weird and not really enticing. Taste is a mix between some watermelons which is more dominant then expected with some light wheat malt. Body is thin with light carbonation. Boring thin wheat with light watermelon flavours.

02-04-2013 01:50:07 | More by Phyl21ca
Brewlore

2.17/5  rDev -32.8%

Had this on tap whilst visiting the area.

It looks like a hefeweizen, cloudy golden in color with a frothy white head. Leaves a small lacing though.

The scent surprisingly does not contain a whole lot of watermelon. It's an off putting scent that does not exactly encourage you to drink it. Mostly malty aroma with the very subtle hint of watermelon

Taste wise, wow. Not good at all. I was very much looking to try this and was quite disappointed. It tasted malty and very vegetable in its taste. Rather than tasting the sweet juicy part of the watermelon your subjected to tasting the inner lighter in color near the rind part.

All that being said it felt quite nice on the palate with good levels of carbonation.

Not drinkable at all due to the fact that the it's not a good tasting brew.

08-28-2008 09:25:25 | More by Brewlore
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

2.15/5  rDev -33.4%

A: Pours a cloudy, straw-yellow body with a small fizzy head that doesn't last;. some visible carboantion.

S: A very thin nose of wheat and watermelon. Nothing amazing.

T: The flavors I don't think mesh well, perhaps because they're so watered down. Some wheat notes and a hint of watermelon. Reminds me of a bad "bitch" beer.

M: Light body; carbonation feels forced or fake like club soda; watery texture.

O: I didn't enjoy this beer. I don't see myself getting this again anytime soon nor recommending this to other. I usually enjoy their beers, but this one is a miss.

07-30-2011 11:29:38 | More by BrewCrew2010
eclipse54

2.15/5  rDev -33.4%

A 12 ounce can into a snifter...

The pour is a translucent hay color with about a half inch of bubbly, white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. The smell is perhaps the most off-putting part for me; for some reason, I can't detect anything past a terrible, strong, curdled milk scent. I can't even find the damn watermelon in the nose. I brace for the taste… ah, found the watermelon! There is a dominating, yet artificial watermelon flavor reminiscent of a jolly rancher or some other sugary candy. An odd milk like flavor sits between the melon and a faint wheat base. The mouthfeel is light, and a bit lively from the carbonation. Nothing spectacular, as it is a bit thin. I will be avoiding this in the future.

08-25-2011 23:55:04 | More by eclipse54
shivtim

Georgia

2.1/5  rDev -35%

Watermelon Wheat in a can? Lets give it a try.
It's slighty hazy and amber, with no head to speak of. The nose is bitter watermelon and not much else. Taste is lots of watermelon, but it's not sweet at all. It's like watermelon vines. Very acrid and metallic. Mouthfeel is ok I suppose, it's a bit watery. The drinkability suffers from the non-sweet punch of watermelon flavor.

10-03-2006 01:46:29 | More by shivtim
Arbitrator

2.05/5  rDev -36.5%

Chilled can into a glass.

I was hot as hell when I had this, so I thought it would be a perfect beer for the circumstances.

A: Pours a clear straw color with a slight orange shade to it. The vigorous pour yields a decent head, but retention is a few seconds at best, receding into a collar and leaving no lacing down the glass.

S: Mostly an earthy yeast and wheat smell with the unmistakable tinge of Taco Bell bean burritos. I'm not making this up. A little lemony citrus to it. No watermelon.

T: Mostly a yeast and wheat combination, with a slightly tart watermelon finish. There's still that Taco Bell bean burrito flavor in here. WTF!?! My palate is totally clean too.

M: Light-bodied. Carbonation is moderate. Flavor is a bit watery.

D: I do enjoy Taco Bell (shoot me), but I didn't enjoy this beer. It's not something I'd have again unless someone made me drink it.

07-31-2009 23:12:43 | More by Arbitrator
ebby82

2.05/5  rDev -36.5%

Pours a hazy golden color, with a couple fingers of head. The smell is funky, but not in a good, Belgian sort of way. Instead its a strange, unpleasant smell, somewhat wheat like, but not entirely. The first taste is bitter, although not strongly so. After another sip or two, I start to notice the watermelon flavor, but I'm not enjoying it. I tried to finish this, but it became a drain pour instead. Perhaps its just the watermelon, but this beer simply does not work for me, even though I love wheat beers and fruit beers.

08-05-2010 21:52:55 | More by ebby82
mikechance

2.05/5  rDev -36.5%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me.

04-25-2011 19:47:01 | More by mikechance
crashdavisinoh

2.05/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had been wanting to try this for a while...finally did...glad I did...probably won't be having another.

A-Pale yellow...clearer than I would have expected...light head that faded fast

S-Probably the best part of the beer...strong and pleasant smell of watermelon...smells of summer...picked up some wheat as well

T-I wanted to like the taste...but couldn't....watermelon all over the place...slight wheat...SLIGHT....the watermelon was too prevalent and even then...tasted watered down. Not pleasant.

M-medium carbonation

D-As I said above...I am glad I tried it...b/c I had wanted to for a while...I didn't finish the can I had...left about 1/4 in the glass. I generally am a fan of 21st amendment...but this one just didn't work...though I respect the effort in trying to brew a different beer.

04-30-2011 01:10:04 | More by crashdavisinoh
kimbo33

2.05/5  rDev -36.5%

Looks very nice. Good lacing and pours bubbly. The smell and taste are overwhelmingly "fake" watermelon, less like the melon and more like a jolly rancher. Going down it comes off way too sweet and does not leave a nice aftertaste.

I would not get this again.

07-16-2012 02:46:20 | More by kimbo33
alk3kenny

Georgia

Got this on a recommendation of a friend and decided to pick some up try it and drop a review on it... Pours a hazy, golden color head is thin, white, bubbly and gone very quickly... Smell is of a standard beer variety with a slight sweetness. Would not pick out watermelon here if it wasn't on the can... Taste is not very pleasant slightly sour but not much there really... Again in searching for the watermelon flavor I liken it to a watermelon that just never got sweet... Guess that can be expected from a fruit that can either be really great or really uneventful... Was kinda surprised because previous reviews had mentioned an artificial flavor of watermelon and I just don't taste it... Might actually make it more enjoyable. Canned in 4/12 for not very old either only like 3 weeks. Can't say I'll be going back for this one.

05-16-2012 22:58:23 | More by alk3kenny
beermanbrian

1.98/5  rDev -38.7%

Pale gold with almost no head, no lace, dead looking. Watermelon, fruit, and some faint wheat on the nose. Taste is mostly watermelon with a distinct wheat base. Fruity aftertaste. Very light, watery mouth. Overall this was a clunker. Glad I only have a 6 pack from a variety case. Those will tough to get rid of.

03-16-2011 01:16:30 | More by beermanbrian
slash196

Indiana

1.9/5  rDev -41.2%

A- Looks nice, a thick-looking wheat, but a suspiciously thin head portends disappointment.

S- I like the smell, and I give props to them for trying something unusual. Deceptively promising.

T- I could analyze this to the wall, but there's only one word that sums it up: WEEEAAAKKKK.

M- Fizzy and insubstantial.

There's just nothing standing behind this. A fruit beer has to be a good beer without the fruit. Nico and Shaun ought to pour an Abita Purple Haze and take notes.

03-23-2011 02:27:35 | More by slash196
Buebie

1.88/5  rDev -41.8%

Got this from a friend taking part in a beer of the month club.

Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

The appearance on this is very nice. Poures a very hazy, not at all tansparent golden yellow.
2 finger fluffy white head that receeds leaving a very thin oil on water like retention film.
Lace is thin and spotty.

Aroma on this at first was nice and grainy with a carmel like smell, shifting to a fruity sour cherry aroma. As it warmed the aroma turned south to a smelly rotten flesh, or rotting cheese. I'm almost afraid to try it.

Flavors are odd, in a bad way. I get some mild sweetness up front with the watermelon flavor.
Mouthfeel is thin, its like drinking Miller Lite with a rotten flavor and terrible aftertaste.

DO NOT WANT.

11-09-2008 03:52:06 | More by Buebie
Treyliff

West Virginia

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a straw yellow with minimal head, no lacing. Smells very earthy, almost like a spinach or collard greens!?; a little bit of watermelon comes through.

Taste- Wow, dissapointed, it taste's like spinach. I don't know if this is an old can or what but I feel like popeye should be drinking this; mouthfeel is average. Drinkability is low because I'm assuming that this is supposed to be a refreshing beer. I don't think I can finish this. Maybe it's an old can but I only bought it about a month ago.

12-17-2010 19:17:46 | More by Treyliff
STEG

1.88/5  rDev -41.8%

Can, shaken as instructed into a pilsner glass

Cloudy pale yellow hue, like a bud light batch gone wrong. At least it has a moderately attractive 2 finger crisp white head.

Smell really needs improvement, I've had thomas hooker's watermelon whatever and it had much more watermelon character in the nose and the taste. This has some light watermelon smells very similar to sniffing the white part of the rind. There are also some sweet corn and circus peanut notes in here as well.

Taste is pretty bland, it has some watermelon character in there at certain points throughout the progression but nothing too great

Mouthfeel is pretty lively with carbonation but super light and watery.

Overall I'm unimpressed and Thomas Hooker's would definitey be my choice given the option.

04-14-2011 23:57:52 | More by STEG
avaldivia

1.88/5  rDev -41.8%

A: Pale straw color with absolutely no head. I tried swirling to see what would happen and nothing did.

S: Watermelon. Fake artificial watermelon. No wheat, just watermelon.

T: Watermelon and very light wheat. The problem I have with it tasting only like watermelon is watermelon is a very light flavor because, well, it is mostly water. combined with almost no wheat flavor, this just tastes watered down. It is like Coors added watermelon to their recipe.

M: Light, crisp. Nice mouthfeel if you want something crisp around summertime.

O: will not be drinking again. I like 21st Amendment but this is just not very good.

06-29-2011 07:37:30 | More by avaldivia
Murrhey

Montana

1.88/5  rDev -41.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass in high altitude Libby, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Half a finger white head with little retention and no lacing. Pale straw color with high clarity.

S- Light wheat and malts smells. Some earthy funk, subtle. Straw, malt and sugar. Do not smell watermelon.

T- Watermelon much more present in the taste, along with wheat, earthy yeast sort of flavors and tartness. Kind of rancid tasting, actually.

M- Light, sugary and wet feel. Clean finish.

O- I'm really disappointed. I'm going to chalk this one up to not travelling well and hopefully try it again someday. It cost me less than two bucks, so I'm not disappointed with the price fallout.

06-07-2012 04:50:28 | More by Murrhey
csmiley

1.83/5  rDev -43.3%

Tx to thaichile for this can.

A - Pours a medium gold with some haze. The white head is pretty minimal and recedes quickly to a paper thin cover atop the brew. Lacing is average at best. There is just not much appeal in this category for this particular brew.

S - A light watermelon type aroma starts things out. At this point it takes a pretty severe turn for the worse. Once the other aromas start to mix with the watermelon it's just over. Aromas include yeast and maybe some wheat. A little bready on the end. Could be some barnyardish things going on as well and that just makes this one even worse. I really can't get into this smell at all. Hopefully the flavor will smooth things out.

T - Nope. Here we go. A sweet watermelon flavor hits the palate first and isn't bad at all. This one turns bad very quickly after the watermelon fades. A wheat kick follows with some doughy flavors bringing up the rear. A sweet, melon flavored hard candy flavor is present throughout. This combination of flavors doesn't work for me at all.

M - Light bodied and kind of light on the carbonation. Finish is funky and sweet at the same time. Clean overall.

D - Drinkability is not very good for this one. The idea of a watermelon flavored wheat brew had me very interested but this attempt just doesn't work for me on almost every level. Not sure if it's the combination of flavors in this particular beer or the idea of watermelon and wheat in general but, I just can't handle it. I'm grateful for the experience but I'll avoid this one in the future.

12-14-2008 03:46:20 | More by csmiley
powoo19

1.83/5  rDev -43.3%

-Pours to a light yellow color slightly darker than a lite beer.
-The smell is all watermelon. A hint of wheat or a bready smell but way too much watermelon.
-I am sad to say the taste is bad. Its more than slightly tart with a poor watermelon flavor. Leaves a bad aftertaste.
- Way too light on the carbonation, like a flat lite beer, causing the bitterness to really stand out.
- This beer was one of the firstbeers that I just could not finish. I likened itto drinkingbaby vomit. At no point in life did anyone ata BBQ say, "Hey, I'm eating watermelon, I'm drinking beer, boy would they go good together." Beer and watermelon, two great tastes that DO NOT go great together.

03-28-2010 16:57:03 | More by powoo19
sdsurfer217

1.83/5  rDev -43.3%

A: Unfiltered, golden yellow color. Absolutely no head. Looks like a ton of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: A little bit of soft sour citrus notes, with a touch of watermelon rind. Fresh baked bread aroma also.

T: Tastes kind of like I just bit into the rind of the watermelon. I don’t taste much actual watermelon juice. Its both bitter and sweet, but not in a good way. Finishes pretty clean, and doesn’t leave much flavor to linger.

M: Pretty light/thin feeling beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Not a very good beer. It’s a weird flavor that I didn’t expect and really doesn’t deliver the promised watermelon taste. I find it extremely strange that this beer is one of the best sellers at Winking Lizard. I won’t be buying this beer and will stick to other offerings from 21st Amendment.

07-09-2011 16:22:54 | More by sdsurfer217