Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 2,504
2.83/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good marketing for this brewery and beer. Let's see how it holds up for experience.
The watermelon has a sweet fruity quality that isn't quite what I'd expect for watermelon. Also contains a bit of a vegetable quality too. Kinda' summer vegatable garden. Not that enticing.
Head left very quickly and quite loudly. Mostly clear golden and lots of bubbles rising in Sam Adams glass.
Taste is like aroma in that it's more generic vegatable than sweet watermelon. More the greens than the sweet fruit or meat. Mildly dry with a touch of hop bitterness. Certainly holds Am. wheat style qualities.
Feel is right for style with ample carbonation.
Not what I expected and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't seek this out on it's own. Now I'm gonna' try this with lunch (a "big salad") and it might do quite well with that, otherwise I'd generally pass.

2.82/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to Bennettrox for the CAN!

Average looking pour. Pale, hazy, sunny color. White finger of head, but dissipates way too fast to nothing.

Aroma is mostly fruity; watermelon I suppose, maybe a hint bready.

Light watermelon taste, fruity, slightly hoppy. and that's about much.

Light, crisp, low carbonation.

Overall, not a bad beer. Definitely interesting, and I'm glad I tried it. I think I'd like it on a hot day.

I had this on tap at the pour farm in New Bedford, MA

Pored a typical maco brew looking gold with small yellow fizzy head that turned into nothing. Smelled like a typical macro beer, kinda corny, not much smell. Watermelon obviously.

tastes good if you really enjoy fruit beers. I don't mind fruit beers, but this one just isnt for me. The watermelon tastes like a jolly rancher dipped into a bud light.

Mouthfeel is pretty average.

Drinkability is average because I can't see myself craving these.

overall: I really don't get what all the hype is about. Overrated.

2.82/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Pale gold, slightly hazy, and big bubbles. Looks like a light wheat.

S: Barely any watermelon, bready grains and yeast.

T: Boring and light. Some weak and bland dried watermelon and light grains. Very slight sweetness and some dryness.

M: Refreshing for the summer and bubbly, it drinks like a light soda.

O: Not my thing. Not enough "punch." It's bland and clean, so it may appeal to people who like lighter tasting beers.

2.82/5  rDev -14.3%

Canned 3/26/12 if that matters.

A: Pours a lightly cloudy light golden with a very fizzy and short lived white head that quickly faded into nothingness leaving no lace. Very soda-like looking carbonation.
S: I get pale notes of cracked wheat with sweeter hints of perfume-like fruit. The nose is light, crispy, and slightly synthetic.
T: A hint of watermelon pokes through light notes of grains and wheat, but it’s really more an essence or suggestion of fruit rather than an in-your-face watermelon experience. The finish is very crackery and the aftertaste is quick and forgetful. There’s something that reminds me of vegetable stew in there as well, although it’s in the background.
M: Carbonation is definitely overly fizzy and sharp like drinking a soda. Once it dies down in my mouth the body is medium but the mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and greasy.
O: Not terrible but not the most appealing beer out there. I cold with a meal maybe, but I don’t need to drink this again.

2.82/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured into a Perfect Pint glass. Formed a thin, fizzy, white head. Lightning fast dissipation of the bubbles left no signs of lacing in it's wake. The body is a crystal clear pale yellow...I was expecting it to be hazy...

Odd nose...but some truth in advertising. You can detect a malted yeast smell, fermented grains and notes of watermelon...maybe a little on the candy-like side.

The flavors are even more odd than the nose. The start is light and wheat-ish that turns into a strange, almost sour taste...imagine water soaked alfalfa. I cannot detect any of the watermelon I was able to smell...maybe it was imagined!

Light mouth feel with moderate carbonation.

I guess this is drinkable, but not my cup o' tea. Worth a try, but I will not be buying this again.

2.81/5  rDev -14.6%

A-Pours a cloudy golden color with minimal head retention. Looks like a macro lager/hefeweizen combo.

S-I really don't smell anything. Sort of sweet , but nothing else.

T-BIG watermelon taste with this one. Very sweet. Mild hop character on the tongue. Tastes like summer.

M-Very crisp and refreshing. Once again, it screams summer.

O-Overall this a decent brew. I can totally see myself drinking this during the summer months with a hot dog in one hand and this beer in the other watching the Red Sox.

2.81/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I poured this watery beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. Not cold enough! The beer was a pee colored concoction but did poor a really pretty big white head. i was hopeful. Slight watermelon smell first then kinda sour smell. Worried. Slightly cloudy looking also. The beer was VERY watery tasting. Kinda like watermelon kool aid that half the flavor packet had not made it into the mix. I will not buy this beer again.

2.81/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass at around 42F.

A - Light straw colored body that is slightly hazy with over 2-finger white head. No lacing whatsoever.

S - Little going on here - some wheat for sure is there, and the watermelon is detectable, but the overall scent is quite mild, and one-sided. No hops to speak of.

T - Well, no aluminum for me so that is a plus. Otherwise, this comes off as a very mild wheat beer with the additive watermelon that is quite forward actually. It is surely not an unpleasant taste, but doesn't taste nearly as good as it sounded when I first saw the sixer and decided to try it. No hops to speak of here either. Drink it cold - the taste worsens as it warms...

M - Hmm, BMC-like in it's wateriness. Pretty high carbonation, but a 3 rating is probably generous here.

D - Sure, its good in that this could be refreshing on a hot day, but it surely does leave one disappointed in the overall package. Perhaps good to bring to a summer BBQ, but not really the type of beer to savor.

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

A: Pale yellow with white head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Light, and a little rice scent in there. Some earthy tones as well. Not a lot of watermelon.

T: The first thing I get is a 'dish sponge' taste.. Dirty or grimy.. Definitely some nice watermelon in there at the end, it tastes like real watermelon, not like a syrup, or flavoring. Overall it tastes a little dirty, and watery. Interesting, but not my bag.

M: Carbonation is good, though the mouthfeel is a little watery.

D: No thanks. Might be great for some folks as a summer beer, but there is something right at the front that I just can't get past. It tastes like someone wiped up watermelon juice with a dish sponge and carbonated it. I like their other offerings though, and would love to see more of their beers distributed here.

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

I brought back a six-pack of cans from a recent trip to San Francisco for the wife and I to try out. I've been eager to try this one for a while, a bit disappointed 21st didn't have it on tap.

Can poured into a pint glass.
Can graphics: 3/10. Ugly.

A: Super hazy dark yellow colored pour with a thin off white head. Decent amount of lacing and carbonation a bit out of control but it looks to be refreshing.

S: Clearly wheaty, and I guess thats the watermelon in there. It does have the scent of an aged fruit, almost candied. Having not known, watermelon wouldn't have been guess number one.

T: Sweet candy flavor with a yeasty backing. The taste falls off as you drink more. Sugary and infused carbonated drink comes on later. Reminiscent of a zima, not a good thing.

Not the worst, but not too good either. Still the best watermelon infused beer I've ever had (and worst)

M: Too sweet for me in the long run, too fake sugared. I was expecting something like a summer wheat beer but thats not it- this is much more of a carbonation explosion.

D: I guess it has it's place in the world and I am glad I got a chance to try, but this is surely not one I would seek out again or waste luggage space on.

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

In a can from Cold Springs, MN. Buy local?

Canned on 4/8/13.

They serve this one with watermelon slices. Thankfully I’m all out of watermelon.

This pours a hazy light straw-golden color with slight foaming that rapidly dissipates.
The “Jolly Rancher” watermelon comparisons are not far from the truth—the aroma has a slight watermelon (artificial) aroma to it.

The flavor has a dominating watermelon candy flavor to it, without any redeeming wheat beer qualities. I enjoyed this more on draught but I just can’t recommend it in cans, even as an ‘easy drinking summer beer’ category.

From the can into a standard Sea Dog pint glass

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with a bit of sediment. Very small white head that goes away fairly quickly. What you would expect from a wheat beer.

S - Trying to pull out some watermelon smell but not getting it. Almost a odd vegetable aroma as well. The nose just really isn't doing it for me.

T - Artificial watermelon flavor at first followed by some wheat. Not a whole bunch going on here, expected more for sure.

M - The body is definitely on the lighter side with a small amount of carbonation. I think it needs to be upped a bit to help out the brew.

D - If this is your thing then pretty high. It's light enough in body and abv to drink a few. Probably a good lawnmower beer. Not really my thing but I might just chalk it up to being out of season as well as a slightly dated can.

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

I give them cedit with coming up with a unique, off-beat flavor combination. That doesn't mean I found it to be a particularly tasty or refreshing combination. Pours a bit of a hazy yellow, with maybe an inch of foam. Slight watermelon aroma. The flavor is tart watermelon grafted onto an ordinary tasting wheat beer. It comes across as just odd. Can't see it really pairing with food very well, and not really refreshing. Sort of interesting to taste once but not something I plan to have more of.

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. It is a nice golden hue and slightly cloudy a very nice colored wheat. The head was gone within a minute almost as fast as a MGD.

Aroma is wheat and malt and sour watermelon like the wheat and malt not so much the melon. It reminds me of a jolly rancher.

Found the taste rather bland. The hint of watermelon is not that pleasant.

I found the mouthfeel a little flat could use more carbonation.

Kind of an average beer.

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a deep yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is light and somewhat sweet, little else can be noted.

Taste is sweet, somewhat fruit-like but difficult to taste anything watermelon-like.

Mouthfeel is sweet and quick to go down.

Overall it's a beer that's not noteworthy other than the cool can.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: pale gold with fizzy white head, some wheat haziness

Aroma: slight watermelon whiff on top of very biscuity and yeasty aroma, no German yeast banana or clove but more of a funky bready yeast smell

Taste: light, tangy, thirst quenching and unmistakeable watermelony. Slight pale malt character but only very little.

Mouthfeel: very light body and very carbonated, tingly in mouth

Overall Impression: A good beer to quench a thirst on a hot day but not much else. Very simplistic and somewhat watery, this beer tastes more like a watermelon flavored lite American lager than a wheat beer from its very very light body.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On-tap at the brew-pub of 21st Amendment complete with a water-melon wedge on the rim of the glass (4.9% ABV).

Hazy gold body with a thin excuse for a head on top.

Not a lot going on in the nose or taste really: some watery wheatness just about detectable and I suppose some water melon hints as well.

OK, but not my sort of beer. Refreshing but not a winter beer in my eyes, which is when I had it.

2.77/5  rDev -15.8%

12oz can served in a standard shaker pint.

pours a cloudy, dull yellow tone while yielding a 3/4" spritzy head that vanishes almost instantly. no lacing to speak of.

nose is 'meh'... maybe even a notch below. definitely wheaty/grainy with maybe a bit of citrus. not really getting much watermelon, a bit in the background.

flavor is an improvement, albeit a mild one. wheaty; watermelon is much more evident, and tastes authentic - as i was braced for some artificial jolly rancher like watermelon flavor. not a whole lot going on beyond that. mouthfeel is fine, medium-light bodied with average carbonation.

overall this one is OK. inoffensive and some good qualities to it, but nothing to write home about - or go out of one's way to acquire. i might buy it to diversify my beer menu at a cookout, but that's about it.

2.76/5  rDev -16.1%

01/29/09- Purchased at Ledger's in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 12oz can, with what might be a possible canning code on the side of the can. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Yeasty and lightly clouded medium golden colored pour. Brilliant white creamy 3/4 inch head and slight lace trails left behind.

Smell- Don't really smell watermelon, just some random light candied sugar scent. A bit of grain as well.

Taste- OK, I taste the watermelon, but it's not like fresh or real watermelon. Kinda like a jolly rancher flavor except not that sugary. Maybe like a flavored seltzer water taste? Quite a heavy yeast strain and mild grain flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, kinda chalky.

Drinkability- Had to finally try it because of the novelty factor. Anyway, no need to try it again. Many better tasting beers of this type out there...maybe not watermelon, but fruit overall.

2.76/5  rDev -16.1%

CAN you believe that I haven't tasted anything from 21st Amendment? Now I have. Hooray I guess. From a 12 ounce can split with my friend Ricardo, on to the beer:

Somewhat of a pale orange in color with little in the head or retention department. I expected some watermelon in the nose, but didn't get any. All I got was a little what malt and nothing else. Weak.

Its taste finally brings some of that watermelon to the table. Well, the first part screams boring American wheat beer, then the watermelon comes in and rescures the beer from certain boringness. Light and prickly in the mouth.

If it weren't for the watermelon, this beer would be as exciting as bathwater.

poured from 12oz can into pint glass

A-Pours a pale straw yellow with head that rises and falls quickly

S-smells fruity not necessarily watermelon though

T-Watermelon is there, don't know if I would know that it was a wheat beer if it didn't say so on the can.

M-good carbonation, maybe a little watery

O-MIght make a good beer to have occasionally on a hot day, but I can't get them around here so it will be very occasionally for me.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

"If you're going through hell or high water(melon), don't you do it alone." - Black Stone Cherry

Cloudy gold color with a thin white head. The head then quickly got up and left. Oh well.

Smells like a McDonald's Egg McMuffin. I kid you not.

Tastes like wheaty yeast with watermelon. The watermelon itself is pretty good, it's the actual beer that's icky. A Zima lover's beach beer at best.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a hazy golden-orange color, with a minimal amount of fluffy white foam. Not much going on in the nose here, with the exception of the watermelon. Not so much fruit, but more like a watermelon jolly rancher. A little sweetness on the palate, some light wheat, but again mostly the somewhat cloying fake watermelon taste. Nothing special here, just a decent light beer with fake fruit flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

On Tap at Old Eagle Tavern in a pint glass. I've been avoiding this beer for quite some time.

Hell or High looks pretty in the glass with a light bronze color with some gold trimmings. All together the beer is very still and dead looking with the head dying by the time it got to me, no lace on this one. Looks more like a pale ale than a fruit beer.

The smell is very grainy with some some wheat in the background. Only getting trace sniffs of watermelon with a whole lot of grass. This one is earthy in every sense of the word and not on the sweet smelling side.

And by god, this stuff is very putrid. It' s not the most offensive beer in the world, or perhaps this is an old keg, but this tastes like bad homebrew. Old faded hops give way to a big grassy smack in the palate, like an old IPA. The watermelon is light and not artificial tasting which is a good thing. Pale malt with lemon grass. I don't know what else to say.

Feel is on the less than medium side with a sharp carb hit despite the beer looking dead. The alcohol is not tasted, yet the aftertaste of old grass is off putting. I thinks this may be a old keg, no way 21st would put out a brew in such large quanity with it being a dud, or would they.

This is a very popular beer with new to craft drinkers. My brother swears by it and he is a BMC guy, so I guess there is some appeal to the non beer geek to seek this out with the watermelon addition. I need to try this from a can, but my draft score will remain.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery