2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 526-550 | 551-575 | 576-600  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,479 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
omb

1.25/5  rDev -61.4%

Have heard good things about 21st Amendment. Well lets say I was extremely disappointed with my 1st forray. This was a can poured into a frosted pint glass.

Boring, stale, flat taste, and that's just the good things. The taste of watermelon was overpowering. Head was small.

This was so bad the bartendered offered a substitution.

Hopefully my future posts will be for better buys.

03-17-2011 14:08:30 | More by omb
SportsandJorts

1.24/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1

Appearance: a light yellow color. good clarity. a huge foamy head that fades pretty quickly

Smell: as soon as i start pouring i am overwhelmed with a artificial sweetness. other smells include a kinda light lager smell

Taste: bad watermelon juice and really fluffy wheat.

Mouthfeel: light and way too sweet

Overall: just plain awful. this beer does not work out in any way for me. I have had many people try it and no matter their beer of preference or level of intoxification every one has said it is just plain bad.

08-06-2013 15:43:37 | More by SportsandJorts
Ryan011235

1.18/5  rDev -63.6%

Poured into a pint glass on 7/21/10

Pale gold & hay colored. Haziness is apparent when held to the light; it actually casts a soapy sheen. White foam rose to 1/4th inch, though it fizzled out in an aggressive fashion. These bubbles appeared to hit the surface enraged. No head retention & no lace.

Ah, the aroma. Some toasted wheat notes are all I can tolerate. Something of a watermelon aroma, I guess; watered down juice. Maybe not quite stale, but well past it's prime (the watered down juice, that is). Imagine sticking your head in a garbage can with old watermelon rind in it. Some herbal, spicy overtones muddle it up even more. Ugh.

What a wretched tasting beer. Watermelon, huh? What a piss poor representation of it. All at once it tastes watered down, rotten, medicinal & tea-like. Wheat notes simply cannot compete with the awful flavor of whatever shoddy watermelon-type crap was used to brew this. I have a hard time imagining this wasn't aged on moldy tea leaves & rotten logs. It has a phantom garbage aftertaste to boot. This is vile.

Light body with very low carbonation; seemingly intent to let the flavors loiter. Never before have I encountered a 4.9% abv beer that has an even-so-slightly numbing sensation on the palate like this beer does. Musty, mold-addled undertones linger far too long.

Drinkability? This is the cud of the beer world. Never again.

07-23-2010 02:32:42 | More by Ryan011235
billybob

1.15/5  rDev -64.5%

i was offered a can of this beer to try from my daughter and found it awful. but to be fair i said i would try one more and this is my review.

pours a lightly hazed yellow, quickly fading head and no lace. so we are off to a bad start.

aroma was kind of funky not what watermelon should smell like to my nose. so we continue a bad appearance to a bad smell.

taste was artificial at best and i did not really taste any wheat ending with a slightly sour note.

mouthfeel and carbonation ok.

drinkability, i am glad i didn't buy it.

07-14-2009 15:49:47 | More by billybob
LittleBreeze

1.05/5  rDev -67.6%

Pale yellow. Aroma is an awful combination of sweetness mixed with pickled rind and layered with sweaty rotten wheat. Bad combination. Bad idea. This beer fails as a fruit beer and as a wheat beer. The taste was an unpleasant gag fest sour something with a hint of wheat. An after taste lingers long after the beer was poured out. I wanted to cry.

09-30-2008 16:41:08 | More by LittleBreeze
NittanyBeerFan

1.05/5  rDev -67.6%

A "gift" from my buddy Trey, which I found out later was intentionally a total joke. Thrown in as an extra to one of our regular beer swaps at the last minute. Watermelon wheat didn't sound too appealing, so I waited until now to try it.

I crack the can and take a whiff. I smell tin. Ok, well, that could just be the can. Let's see what it looks like...Bud Light has a more appealing color than this beer. This is the lightest beer I have ever come across. Not only is it completely uninspiring, it produces no head at all. The only thing that I can think of as I look at this is Maddox's reaction to children's art.

The smell, which I thought was only bad because it was in a can turns out to actually be putrid. It isn't just distorted in the aluminum can. It smells like fake watermelon, shrimp, and old tuna juice.

I wish I could explain the abomination that was this beer's flavor, but I could only get through two sips before I had to get rid of this beer. It starts with a sweet watermelon taste, but as soon as it really hits my tongue, that taste turns and yields a horrific tinny flavor. It makes my stomach lurch. Some people put wolf urine in their yards to ward off deer. I poured this along my property line to achieve the same effect.

I imagine that if the flavor was good, the feel would be OK, but the fact that this beer made my mind go down the "I never want to drink again," path, and I wasn't even hungover makes me unable to give this anything even reasonably good. I think that the remainder of this beer should be donated to attractive young women everywhere in lieu of mace. Holy shit this is awful. Satan himself couldn't spawn something this evil.

07-04-2010 02:10:53 | More by NittanyBeerFan
berpwillie

pours a slightly hazy yellow color with good white fluffy head, good lacing, and average carbonation. i don't want to bash beer, but.... this beer was absolutley disgusting. i don't see how anyone could drink this. now, i'm hoping that maybe i just got some from a bad batch or something. it was brand new in my local bottle shop so i know it wasn't old. it had a nasty fish like smell and taste. so much so me and two other BA's couldn't make it past a few sips. all three beers got poured out. just to make sure i popped the rest of the sixer and it was the same in them all. avoid this shit at all cost!

06-16-2010 15:55:46 | More by berpwillie
hipsterbob

I don't review beers, but this beer was in need of a review.

This beer made me want to do a drain poor from just the smell, let alone the first sip, and i've drank some pretty garbage beers before that i could at least somewhat tolerate.

look - like day old warm apple juice, and i've seen more head on pouring water into a glass at high pressure.

taste - tasted like when you threw up in your mouth a little bit, and you force it back down, and you taste what you ate earlier that day, but with an obviously throwup-ie taste. and if there was any remote watermelon taste, it was the the taste of rind of a mellon, gross.

feel - couldn't really feel the mouth feel, since i was busy trying to swallow this beer.

overall - won't ever drink this again, i only finished it, since i paid $2 for it. after seeing this beer on a website showing cool beers i should try, name seemed interesting and inviting, and after looking at the "ba" overall reviews for this beer, i decided to try it, and man, was it a complete disappointment.

07-23-2010 23:51:52 | More by hipsterbob
ExtraStout

A "gift" from my son. Pours a very hazy yellow color with a white head and soda like carbonation. This beer was absolutely disgusting. It smelt like puke!! I checked the can date and it was only 5 weeks old so that wasn’t it.

I thought about just dumping it but it was all I had so after thinking long and hard, I remembered that if you hold your nose you can’t really taste what is in your mouth. It worked, I got it down fast. This is nasty shit!! I wish I could rate it even lower.

05-14-2012 22:53:00 | More by ExtraStout