Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
hiikeeba

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Pours up cloudy gold with a quickly dissipating white head that disappears completely

S - Has slight cider aroma. Not what I was expecting.

T - Starts with a very subtle grain flavor, and finished with a faint watermelon taste lingering in my mouth.

M - Surprisingly full bodied.

D - Very drinkable, not too cloying.

08-14-2008 00:50:04 | More by hiikeeba
Rifugium

First had: can from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Interesting idea, and I've seen it around enough to the point where I had to pick up a can.

Poured clear golden into a tumbler. Big white foamy head that dissipated after a few minutes to just a thin layer. Aroma (first impression) was stale and unimpressive, and I started having doubts that I picked up a bad beer. Then I took a sip. Watermelon!!! Very distinct, very fruity, but not overbearing or sickeningly sweet, and truly watermelon. Very light and smooth, no acidic harshness that often pervades wheat beers. Light body, easily drinkable. Great summertime beer. I want more.

05-04-2011 19:44:49 | More by Rifugium
flexabull

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a light gold color, a little cloudy, with a faint white head.

Aromas are nice, light watermelon, cream, and candied sugars.

This kind of tastes like a watermelon jolly rancher. Though the watermelon flavors aren't overly strong. There is some creaminess, sugars, and some wheat spices.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, surprisingly fuller than I thought it would be.

Drinkability is pretty good. It's a bit of a novelty, and that wore off towards the end of the can. But it's light, tasty, and would be pretty nice for the summer time. Worth a try, but don't go out of your way to get this.

02-16-2009 21:43:18 | More by flexabull
utopiajane

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours hazy and yellow with a stream of bubbles rising to meet a fat white had of foam that leaves patchy lace as it falls. Nose is a nice wheat with a bit of sweetness on it. The watermelon is a touch of floral and almost a backnote on the nose. There is a bit of hop grass and it too is sweet. That is blending nicely with the flaked wheat. Taste is good. It's perky and has a thinner side of medium mouthfeel. You could even call it light. A crackery malt crispness , a nice malt dryness and a little bit of natural wheat sweetness. Nothing honey like or rich. The watermelon in the drink is light and floral but unmistakably watermelon and the hops grass meets a touch of spice to intrigue the palate a bit. The finish is balanced and there is a slight hop bitter and a light little aftertaste from malt. There is a juicy citric quality that does not meet any definition of a fruit and that keeps the beer balanced and tart in the drink.

I darn like it.

07-14-2014 18:12:03 | More by utopiajane
sakana

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

I'm reviewing this based on memory, so please bear with me, as I do not have tasting notes.

It was a hot night at the bar, and I was in the mood for something light and refreshing to chase away the cloying heat of the place. this pale yet flavorful beer was thoroughly enjoyable and was just what the doctor ordered to chase away the uncomfortable warmth of the place.

This was not the first watermelon wheat beer I had consumed, there was another I had enjoyed the previous summer that drew me to choose this instead of one of the other available options. Don't expect it totaste strongly of watermelon - I only moticed melon flavors in the aftertaste, as up front you mostly we treated to a light, wheaty flavor.

Definitely a nice treat for a hot day, and now that I know that I can get it in cans, it'll likely come with me to the next BBQ I attend.

07-16-2012 21:27:01 | More by sakana
droomyster

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

A very popular beer this summer. It's easy to see why this little man in a can is so appealing to so many, but the purist in me hates gimmicks. Yes, it is drinkable and "enjoyable on a hot day" and at parties, beaches, etc. Hell, it's one of the most "drinkable" beers ever, a quality owing more to lacking flaws than having virtues that extend beyond a squirt of fruit. Pours a hazy gold with a soda fizz head that dies almost immediately. Aromas are very simple and straightforward: a bit of wheatiness and a lot of watermelon. Not bad by any means but neither is it ponderous in the least. Same for the taste and feel. It takes its name literally and is not nasty in the least, but neither is it interesting enough for me to ever buy again, unless it's for a beach party of the uninitiated.

08-27-2010 06:12:02 | More by droomyster
damienblack

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours light straw-golden, almost pale yellow. Minimal lacing and retention. About as pedestrian an appearance as you can get. Smells like sweet wheat, combined with just a touch of melon (at this early stage, can't tell specifically it is watermelon). Taste... there isn't a ton behind it. Like a typical wheat beer, except there isn't a huge yeasty/wheaty flavour. The watermelon blends it in very nicely, otherwise it would be very forgettable. No hop presence whatsoever. Mouthfeel is thin, kind of watery, but I think that's what they were going for. This is my definition of a craft lawnmower beer - light, straightforward, not terrible. Not sure when next I will drink, but it is a neat little change on a warm night.

05-27-2009 04:43:31 | More by damienblack
HardTarget

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Very hazy light golden glass holds a very thin white head.

Smell: Wheat, earthy grain really, with just a hint of Jolly Rancher Watermelon candy. A bit of melon, but I really have to reach for it.

Taste: Watermelon comes through a lot more in the taste for me, overall a very mild beer, a little yeasty, a bit of coarse wheat, but not much here to tell.

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation doesn't get fizzy, smooth texture and a little oily mouth coat.

Overall: A good summer beer, nice, different, but a bit pedestrian. Still, could see it being a hit at parties as it is unlikely to offend and just enough going to be interesting.

Hand carried back from Maryland

05-01-2011 03:24:02 | More by HardTarget
koopa

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Can purchased at Oaktree Buyrite in South Plainfield NJ.

Appearance: Very pale cloudy blonde body with a 1 finger bright white crown that shows some retention and lots of lacing.

Smell: Flat. Pale malt with a touch of watermelon.

Taste: Same as smell only watermelon flavor comes out more.

Mouthfeel: Thin for the most part but not bad for the style.

Drinkability: Flavor is what holds this one back.

Should have worked better....

08-09-2009 21:23:50 | More by koopa
BWED

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

12 oz. can poured into a pils glass.

A- Slightly hazy, pale yellow, with a dissipating half finger white head. Some carbonation bubbles up to the surface.

S- Some pale malt shying behind a sweet and tart fruit nose.

T- Very mild malt, with a bit of hop zest. Watermelon tartness comes out too. Good summer taste.

M- Light, crisp, tart, and good clean finish. Low ABV makes them sessionable chuggers.

O- Decent unique beer. It's more of a novelty than anything, but I imagine grabbing this in the case of dying of thirst. Pretty quenching, and I can't say that about many beers.

06-04-2013 16:13:10 | More by BWED
scootny

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Cloudy pale gold fluid with a white head that fades quickly leaving no real lace. Smell is wheaty with good amounts of twang and yeast fruitiness. A dry crisp cereal graininess. Flavor is just short of the next score for me. Full bodied wheat core with a perfect amount of watermelon. Juicy body and a dry tart finish that makes it a superb quencher. Finish has a bit of rind and artful hop balance that is mild yet firm. This beer is actually a delicately complex brew. Crisp feel is gently carbonated lending to a great drinkability and refreshing character. One of my new summer favorites and a good choice for the adventurous and open palate.

08-09-2012 01:11:02 | More by scootny
garcia2a

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

The beer poured a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. I poured too fast, so I ended up with a tall head that dissipated rather quickly.

The nose is quite pleasant. Light, sweet grains with just a touch of yeast, citrus and candy. This did not really prepare me for the taste. I got the grains on the front of the mouth, but ended up with this jolly rancher back of the mouth taste and aftertaste. After a few sips, I could only discen the candy.

Even with that the mouthfeel is pretty good, the beer didn't cloy, but due to an anamnestic response to jolly rogers, I had this wierd "sticky" sensation.

If you like watermelon and jolly ranchers, this may be a beer for you. I could though give this one more try on a really hot day.

10-08-2009 18:53:46 | More by garcia2a
cjoc83

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours from a 12oz can into a pint glass a hazy light straw color with a fingers worth of white head that dissipates quickly.

Nose is some sweet watermelon and grainy wheat.

Taste actually gets the watermelon aspect pretty spot on. Not too syrupy-sweet and fake-tasting like some fruit beers. The watermelon mixes with some standard wheat and a little sweet malt.

Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly refreshing. A great session beer.

Fruit beers can be really hit and miss, but this one works for me. The watermelon is subtle but tasty, nice grainy wheat and sweet malt, and crisp. My local bottle shop (Brew in south Philly) has six-packs of this for $12, and I'll definitely be picking up at least a few more this summer.

06-24-2011 05:51:48 | More by cjoc83
tpd975

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

This is one I have been wanting to try. Thanks to BrewerB for sending it my way.

A: Pours a cloudy murky light straw color with a big tall rocky head. The retention is great and nice big sheets of lace run all the way down the glass.

S: Very faint in the aroma. Not a touch of watermelon was detected. What I could pick out were hints of sourness, some wheat, and a hint of sweet fruit.

T: Nice and wheaty up front. A watermelon blast appears and then quickly goes away. It finishes a bit sour with a slight metallic tinge.

M: Light in body with good carbonation.

D: Easy drinking.... Just wish the watermelon lingered a bit longer.

07-27-2008 16:08:04 | More by tpd975
Bendurgin

Maine

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured this from a can into a pint glass. Kinda of a hazy light yellow. There was a big fluffy white head but it really didn't last long. Gone by the time I finished typing my first sentence. No real lacing. Lots of tiny bubbles floating to the top. I hope this was a good choice to pair with my pizza. I smell wheat and grains but not much watermelon. I really expected more watermelon. None the less, it doesn't smell bad. This beer is pretty two dimensional. Wheat and watermelon. Bubbalicious gum. I feel like I chewed this in little league. Decent mouth feel, the carbonation is great and the watermelon flavor is novel, glad I picked this up. Easy to kill beer, probably great for a hot day. Glad to pair it with my pizza.

06-24-2010 23:38:02 | More by Bendurgin
ZAP

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

I've been wanting to try this for awhile now. It is certainly unique. The watermelon is evident on the aroma and is more of a fresh fruit smell rather than an artificial jolly rancher smell. That is good. There is also a a sweet white cake batter like aroma as well. And the more I smell this the cake batter aroma seems to gain strength....

Has a mild watermelon flavor on the taste....refreshing but different...not artificial as I feared it would be, but more of a freshly cut watermelon flavor...get a little bit of the cake batter on the taste too on the finish.

Light side of medium bodied...cloudy golden color....drinks nice but I don't think I could handle more than a couple at a time. A nice niche wheat.

12-09-2009 05:55:11 | More by ZAP
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

A bit darker colour than what I would typically call "golden straw". Not much of a head; a bit of patchy white frost. Average at best.

Mildly fruity, though not necessarily watermelon. Perhaps a little light maltiness, but again, average at best.

Watermelon very much present in the flavour almost flirting with being artificial like a piece of watermelon candy, but not quite. Finished with a pleasant, dry biscuity malt. Much better than I was anticipating, I must admit.

Mouthfeel was light and well carbonated. I could see where this could be quite sessionable for some, and where I *did* enjoy trying this, I feel I would tire of the watermelon flavour after a pint or two. It's not bad, it's just not a flavour I associate with beer. Peculiar, for sure.

08-17-2010 23:31:16 | More by SilentSabre
kirkmichel

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Not going to do a full review on this right now, but I think this is pretty decent; not very complex in the initial taste, but the watermelon is very well done. Since I'm in the middle of a snowstorm in February, I think it will be better if I re-review this beer in the warmer months, and when i'm not in the midst of a beer tasting marathon!

But if you like fruited beers, you'll enjoy this - just don't expect tremendous complexity.

...
After a summer of drinking this periodically, my review:

Appearance -- Pours a clear pale gold, with a minimal white head. Surprised that it doesn't have more umph in the carbonation since it is canned, but I'm not exactly sure why I expected that.

Smell - Toasty malt, wheat, very slight sweet watermelon, and a bit of hops. It really doesn't smell much like I was expecting - more like malt than fruit or fresh wheat, but still like good beer!

Taste - This tastes like a wheat beer, but the aftertaste is a bit like that weird taste cereal leaves in your mouth. I'm not sure what the correct descriptor is for that. The malt seems more prominent than in most good wheat beers, but it's still well balanced, and it has a nice tinge of jolly rancher watermelon. What is lacking is complexity - probably needs more fruit and some other flavors/spices added to round it out. In other words, I love the idea of this beer, so I'm hoping they experiment with the formula a little bit more for next summer.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light body with low carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm still a fan of this for hot outdoor events during the summer - it sure beats a miller light! Heavy enough to feel like you're actually drinking something, but light enough that you could have a few because it's easy on the palate. A great summer beer.

02-15-2010 23:05:28 | More by kirkmichel
generallee

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%

Presentation: It was served on tap and poured into a pint glass. The beer menu listed the abv at 4.9%.

Appearance: The body has a hazy straw yellow color with light foamy head on top. It’s head fizzled out quickly.

Smell: The aroma is fairly light overall. It brings some light wheat malt and white bready maltiness to the nose. It also has nice natural watermelon notes as well as and mild mineral like character.

Taste / Palate: It’s lightly bodied and like it’s aroma it has light pale bready and wheat maltiness with a light sweetness and an equally balanced watermelon flavor. Again like it’s aroma it also has a slight mineral flavor note and just a very light herbal hop bitterness in the finish. Notes: This is definitely a hot summer day or lawn mower beer. It’s thin and light making it easy drinking and interesting. It like that the watermelon taste is natural and some candy like flavoring added to a light wheat beer.

07-05-2014 06:52:26 | More by generallee
socon67

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Cloudy light golden pour with a high white foam head. Soapy lacing on the glass.

S - Has a strong wheat aroma, and certainly a faint smell of watermelon rind. slightly too candy like (think Jolly Rancher) but better than others I can recall.

T - Typical witbier profile more than what one would consider a fruit beer. Light grains give a nice base to a beer that is refreshing. Finish hits the mouth with sweetness of watermelon that is pleasant although maybe a bit too sweet.

M - Has a wheat germ grottiness to it. Leaves a sweet finish that would make it not sessionable to me, but likely for others. Clean beer.

O - Not bad and a good summer beer. I just don't see this being anything special.

07-02-2013 02:48:51 | More by socon67
Billolick

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ounce can..."Yeast inside-agitate before opening" nice to see towards the top of the can. Pours cloucy lemony and still, w/o bubbles rising to the top. Quickly departing head and leaves no lace. I believe I do get a slight wiff of watermelon rind on the nose. Light and fruity, some might say watery even...Perhaps a hint of watermelon on the tongue...Lawn mower/very hot day beer...

07-10-2009 00:42:42 | More by Billolick
Mora2000

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

The beer pours a hazy light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is mainly wheat but I also get a nice bit of light watermelon. The flavor is wheat, juicy watermelon and a light bit of tartness. Light to medium mouthfeel and medium mouthfeel. A nicely done fruit beer that doesn't taste artificial or overpower you with sweetness.

07-23-2011 03:54:50 | More by Mora2000
tdm168

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A - copper with a reddish tinge; thick, white head; good retention

S - grains, wheat, grass, faint watermelon

T - light watermelon, grains, wheat, grass

M - light bodied, smooth, little carbonation

This is a light, easy drinking beer. It's not very sweet and the watermelon doesn't really shine through. It's drinkability though makes it a refreshing summer beer.

05-27-2012 15:56:59 | More by tdm168
Redrover

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I was told that the Watermelon wheat is their most popular beer. Served in a hefe glass. The beer is a hazy dark straw color with a bone white head and awesome lacing.

The nose is of watermelon and wheat malts. Could be turned up a notch, but you know what your getting.

The beer leads with a bit of watermelon; some grains a hint of spice. It has a big watermelon finish.

The mouth is nicely slick. Nice hot weather beer, another killer crossover beer from this brewery.

05-21-2008 19:00:23 | More by Redrover
suspect

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: Mostly clear pale golden color. Mildly aggressive pour leads to a fizzy one finger head that disappears almost immediately. No lacing to speak of.

S: Not a lot going on in the nose. Some grain, some sweet malts and perhaps a touch of fruit but overall, no real hop notes to speak of.

T: Wow, the watermelon really shines through in the flavor. It really tastes like beer perfectly infused with the perfect amount of watermelon. Some sweetness from the grain but man, the watermelon is really wonderful. Sweet, then perfectly tart.

M: A touch thin, good carbonation.

O: A really interesting beer. I wasn't overly impressed but man, the watermelon really is something. Overall, a pretty good beer but I think I could only really have one or two.

05-19-2012 02:21:06 | More by suspect