Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 2,393
3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from 12oz can. Been wanting to try this beer forever.

A- Pours a hazy golden straw yellow color. One and a half finger white head which had little retention to it. Light streaking lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- This is pretty muted I thought overall. Some very light wheaty notes comes over a watermelon aroma as well. This smells a little sweet but interesting at the same time.

T- A light wheat upfront gets crushed pretty quickly with a over the top watermelon flavor. Although a little artifical tasting it does bring out a good watermelon quality to it. This dies down toward the ending with a little bit of wheat in the tailend.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little high for the style but good for this beer. Watermelon flavors pile up on the palate and lingers on all the way through the aftertaste. Flavor was a little one sided but even so still very clean to say the least.

D- This was a very drinkable beer. The lower ABV makes this a beer that you can drink a sixer of no problem. The fruit flavor is very pronounced and would make it a good for lack of better terms a girlie beer. A good beer that hits the style of what it says it is going to be. (1,189 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Pretty skeptical of any fruit beer aside from authentic lambics, but I'd heard this was good, and randomly picked up a watermelon this afternoon so I thought I'd give this beer a shot. Pours a pale-ish yellow from the can, dissipating head but a nice color and slight cloud to it. Hard to pick up much watermelon in the nose, which to me is a good sign. Mostly pale malts and a light sweetness, which may be the fruit I'm smelling. Taste is actually just about what I was looking for - not too much watermelon up front, but a nice pale maltiness and a touch of wheat, almost reminiscent of a German lager. A nice refreshing touch of watermelon in the finish, awesome. Light yet not lacking body on the palate, and quite refreshing and pleasurable to drink. This is the first fruit beer (like I said, non-lambic) that I've liked in a long, long time. I would actually get this again. And the best part - no seeds! Mwaahahahahaha... (930 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

A- A hazy, yellow beer with some floaters and a thin, splotchy white head.

S- White bread and a sweet, indistinguishable fruitiness. Not as potent of a watermelon punch as I was expecting.

T- Sweet watermelon and bread with caramel. A tad tart at the end.

M- A carbonation bite, but the sweetness keeps it refreshing.

D- A great warm weather beer. This has been on my "to try" list for awhile, and it doesn't disappoint. (424 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Had a can on the beach, was a great fit.

Nice smell of bready yeast and watermelon juice.

Taste has just the right enough of watermelon. Its definitely a fruit forward beer but it isn't sugary/syrupy or overwhelming. I could easily have drunken a few of them. I don't know if they use real watermelon, I doubt it, but regardless it tastes like real watermelon.

Good change of pace from IPAs, porters and RIS. (412 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a golden yellow color with am inch of white head that didn't linger. Highly visible carbonation.

Slight hints of melon in the nose with a bit of straw. Not quite as much as I anticipated.

The taste is crisp and refreshing with just a touch of sweetness in the back of the throat as it tingles the tastebuds and tongue. This might be the ultimate lawnmower beer! The malt character is of straw and just a light bready character. The wheat might be evident in the medium mouthfeel but there is no haze.

Delicious to say the least. Highly drinkable and easy to put away. I am glad this made it's way over to Ohio. (619 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%

I gave this one the ultimate test - in was chilling in the fridge while I was cutting my lawn on a humid 88 degree day. Did I mention that I have an old cast iron reel mower?

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange. Quickly fading creamy white head.

S: Sweetness in the nose. Clean.

T: A creamy sweetness upfront with just a kiss of watermelon. The watermelon is spot on - you will expect to be spitting out seeds. A bit of tartness at the end.

M: Creamy in and crisp at the end.

d: Like bitting in to a real watermellon. If it is a hot-ass day, you are going to be all over this beer. The flavor is subtle and not overwhelming, you can have a few of these without the sweetness turning your stomach like some fruit concoctions will.

The wheat base really lends itself well to the watermelon taste.

If you like fruit beer or American wheat beers, you should give this one a go. (877 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +20.2%

12 oz can sent to me thanks to the awesomeness that is Murchmac. Been eying this for two reasons: 1. its in a can 2. its watermelon, yo!
Served up in my Terrapin pint glass.

A: Pours a pretty typical wheat beer color. Has just a touch of haze to it, making it just not quite clear. The color is a nide golden yellow, but held to the light it has more of that faded, macro yellow color. The carbontion activity is pretty bangin with some constant movement. The head off the pour is a nice and pretty pristine white, and that head has a bit more wieght than I was expecting going in. Sadly,the retention isn't the greatest and no really lace to speak of. Just a bit above mediocre here.

S: Smell is basically just a wheat beer. Has some grain notes coming out and mostly. You get a touch of some sweeter wheat bread coming across here. There is a touch of citrus bouncing around in here as well, maybe some lemon. Not really getting any watermelon at all, and this has me a bit scared because this is what I am looking forward to. Overall, just smells like a standard wheat beer.

T: Yet again I am scared a bit starting off. As the sip starts, all I am getting is some wheat beer. Just a nice and slightly sweet wheat coming across along with a touch of lemony hops presence. BUT!!! . . . the finish is where they bring the melon and my happiness. The watermelon is sweet and at times a bit sour. It seems on some sips its just a touch light, and at others it is in your face and is more like a slightly sour watermelon Jolly Rancher. With said, it works. I like it . . . hell, I love it.

M: Light in body with a nice crisp carbonation, and this is good because I imagine that was the intention in creating a thirst quenching summer brew. This beer does have a bit of a drying quality to it that makes you pull a bit more. Aftertaste is all melon and ist awesome.

D: Very drinkable. Would love to have this after a long day of working in the yard in the Alabama summer or at baseball game. The melon is just enough to let you know its there and what is up. The wheat base is nice and probably the perfect vehicle for a watermelon flavored brew. Just a joy to drink and it really puts a smile on my face. Look forward to trading for more from Tim. Thanks again, buddy! (2,271 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

To begin with, you should only try this beer if you like watermelon, otherwise you will probably hate it.

A- The beer poured a hazy tan with a hint of pink. There was a little bit of a fizzy heady, but it quickly dissipated.

S- The smell is of spicy wheat and fresh watermelon rind

T- The beer started off a little tart from the wheat, but as it finished, the flavor of the watermelon really came through as did the sweetness.

M- Light and a little too thin on the palate

D- The watermelon flavor sold me, but those who don't like watermelon as much would rate this much lower in drinkability. I think that I could have 2 or 3 of these and that would be enough.

Great for an end of summer BBQ while downing spicy ribs and smoked brisket. I could also imagine having this at the beach (790 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

I actually drank this beer out of the can, so I have no idea what was going on with the appearance--I just love the feeling of drinking beer out of a can, what can I say?

This is an awesomely unique beer, with a strong watermelon smell and taste. I'm not sure the beer under it is the best wheat beer I've ever had---a bit grainy, lacking some of the complexity of a good wheat, and a thin mouthfeel, not rich enough--but the idea of mixing watermelon juice and a decent wheat beer is just a really good one, and this is a great, very drinkable summer beer. (558 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

OK I'm pretty impressed with this. I really wanted to try it for the gimmick of a watermelon beer but I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing beer with alot of flavor. The appearance isn't anything to brag about and the aroma was a little like a capri-sun but the flavor was everything I thought it wouldn't be. Thankfully this is not a sweet beer. If it had been I think it would have ruined the beer by fullfilling my expectation of a watermelon extract/candy alcoholic schnaaps-like drink. Instead the fruit presence is definitely melon but was more cantaloupe than sugary. Highly drinkable... go get some! (617 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

Can, home. I'm not a big fan of most fruit beers and had been putting off trying this particular beer for a long time, and I'm quite surprised to find that I like it. It's not the prettiest thing ever - hazy pale gold with a minimal head. The aroma is wheatier and maltier than expected. Though there's a fairly strong candy fruit flavor to it, but it's not cloying. The feel is a bit thick and viscous, particularly for the abv. The flavor is relatively dry. The watermelon flavor doesn't taste artificial. The base beer doesn't really live up to the watermelon flavor. I'm not really sure what would, though. It's a nice flavor but not very beery. Good beer for a hot day. (674 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Lots of fresh watermelon. Maybe a little wheat.

T: Fresh watermelon. It's good and sweet, but for the most part it's a one-note flavor. Some malt, and I'm not sure if there are hops or not. It's not a complex flavor, but it is very fun to drink.

M: Some bite in the back of the throat. Very bubby at first but calms down quickly.

D: Easy to drink. Refreshing. A great start for a summer barbecue or picnic. (461 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +19.3%

With the initial pour, it appears rather thin, colored a clear pale honey-yellow. Thick wisps of a wheaty haze fall as it sits, eventually clouding the entire brew and darkening the color to a more uniform honey-gold – though the thickness remains 0n the thin side. The carbonation is quick and sparkling, erupting as it hits the glass and building a nice 3-finger thick head of thin, lacy foam that sticks around for quite a while afterwards, falling into a gossamer ring and sheer patches as I sip it. While the bubbles seem hardy enough, they refuse to stick to the side of the glass, leaving no trace it was ever there.

The aroma is very light, carrying hints of watermelon and fresh-cut rind, minimal hops, faint grainy notes and some wheat malt, but none are heavy enough to make a lasting impression until the beer is near room-temperature.

Hell or High Watermelon holds a light body, dry mouthfeel, and moderate semi-spicy carbonation. The clean, crisp authentic watermelon flavor is immediately present at the forefront, and fades into a lighter, sweet melon tang while touches of grainy wheat and malt follow through to the end. The profile of this beer overall is very light, but that doesn’t keep it from being the perfect thirst quencher, especially when it’s 115º outside. As much as I disagree with the current stereotypes of women and (fruit) beer, I think that this could be an awesome first step into the craft beer world for both men and women who are still trying to become interested and want to ease themselves in. (1,545 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Drank from the can, so no word on appearance. Light, tasty, smooth. Great choice for hot days. Watermelon flavor is reserved, but present and sweet. Ideal beer for backyards, rivers, and during the day.

Tried at Three Monkeys Bar & Grill and the Northside Grill, both in Richmond, Va (284 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Incredible summer beer, tartness from watermelon is palatable and not off putting, at 4.9% ABV it's definitely got the kick for funtime summer drinking (151 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a light, slightly hazy golden amber with a one finger white head that dissipates slowly to a thin cap. Aroma of melon (smells a bit more like cantelope, actually) and light wheat. Flavor is sweet wheat, watermelon (distinct in the flavor) with hints of caramel as it finishes slightly dry with light grassy hops. Light bodied, as appropriate. A pleasant surprise, I was not expecting much from this combination, but the light watermelon add a delicate fruit sweetness to the wheat which worked quite well. I would definitely think about this for lawn mowing. This would have been too light for a witbier, but delivers exactly what it advertises as a watermelon wheat. (705 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +18.7%

12 fl oz. can, with enjoy by date 06/30/2015 printed on the bottom of the can. A new beer to me from 21st Amendment Brewery, finally available in my state. Acquired the six pack from the local beer store.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - It pours a nice golden body, maybe a slight green tint, fairly typical of a wheat beer, with just under a finger of frothy white head. Some scattered spotty lacing left behind.

S - A pretty nice aroma, if a little on the sweet side. A grainy wheat malt / base is noticeable beneath the very prominent authentic watermelon / rind / vegetal presence.

T - Taste is the same: juicy, fruity, authentic watermelon / rind flavor dominates this one. Sweet & sugary, with a bit of dry grainy wheat presence on the finish.

M - The feel is smooth, crisp, clean, and easy-drinking. Light-bodied with excellent carbonation.

Overall, this is the better of the two watermelon beers I've had, although it is a bit sweet, perhaps even a tad cloying if one were to drink too much of this. Definitely not something I would drink quantity of, but I would surely be interested in having it again. Recommended.

21st Amendment Hell Or High Watermelon -----4/5. (1,199 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Canned microbrew! The wave of the future! (I hope)

Aroma - definitive sweet watermelon, crisp wheat, clean - no diacetyl, no noticable hops.

Appearance - Hazy golden hue, long lasting white head.

Flavor - Malty, wheat backbone that is slightly tart, pronounced fresh watermelon accent that tastes like real watermelon. Slight hop bitterness, focus is definitely on the blend of fruits. Well attenuated as it has a dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean with moderate carbonation, slightly creamy texture and a bit of warmth, not astringent. Light-medium bodied.

Overall Impression - This is a really well executed fruit beer, the balance of the base beer is almost perfect. Some critiques... I think a bit more wheaty twang and a spicy phenolic would go really well with the fresh watermelon flavors. Its a really great, easy drinking beer that I would love to enjoy on a hot summer day.

Thanks to barleypop for the can! (936 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +18.3%

appearance: hazy yellow gold with not much head and non-existent lacing.
smell: Very faint watermelon. I would've missed it had I not been sniffing for it.
taste: There's the watermelon! Pretty tasty.
mouthfeel: pretty slight. Some carbonation.
drinkability: This is quite refreshing on a hot Ga. summer afternoon.
Not bad, but not a seek it out, must have. (357 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +18%

12 ounce can. Not decanted. Aroma very hard to describe. I suppose the smell is like sugarry watermelon juice? Kinda unpleasant. Taste is actually nice and interesting and not what I expected after struggling with the aroma. Sort of a nice flavor to add into a wheat beer. Not sure why I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I like this beer...but I do. (351 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden yellow with big frothy head. Smells of watermelon jolly ranchers and wheat. Taste has slight watermelon, with sleely american wheat beer yaste. Medium bodied somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Overall a good summer beer with the waremelon flavor covering up the undesirable american wheat beer aspects., (312 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +18%

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I recently tried for the first time not knowing what to expect but it was quite well done. Smells of faint wheat and watermelon, and pretty much tastes the same with some malt backbone to round it all out. Nothing it overpowering and it's all very well balanced. For a beer drinker, I liked it and it served it's purpose of quenching my thirst straight from the can on a 90 degree F humid day. Some others that tried it, which I would not call big beer drinkers, actually were hoping for more of the watermelon to shine through. For what they were going for here though I think they did a great job. Very drinkable on a hot day. (671 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

12oz single, Thanks lou91 for the try, I have been hearing about this beer in comparison to the great dane's version

appearance: I had no idea this came in a can....pours into an imperial pint glass....very pale body, light straw color, frothy white head with light lacing

smell: I can tell almost immediately what this beer is as i've seen its type before....a nice and original fruit presence over an average wheat body. I've never had a watermelon wheat before though, so its a fresh idea to me...aroma is of a nice red watermelon, honey, pale wheat body

taste: taste is immediately of watermelon which im not sure my palate knows how to process...body and base resembles an american pale wheat with very subtle flavor. It's an interesting beer and I can see a 6 pack of cans being a nice buy on a hot summer day

mouthfeel: medium-light body, average carbonation

drinkability: pretty high (906 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

This brew pours a light golden straw color with one centimeter of thin, puffy head. I've seen hazier wheat beers as well but it still looks good. The smell is light, a bit of watermelon and soft grainy notes as well.

Glug glug glug

This flavor is bigger than the smell but very restrained, which works for the style. The watermelon aspect is better than I would have thought. If anything it tastes a bit 'fake' somehow, like how a lollipop approximates flavor. This being said it isn't bad but it feels unnatural. The more traditional aspects are good and the drinkability is high. This would likely be better if it were fresher. Also the more I drink this the more the watermelon flavor becomes watery, rather the sweetness from the impact isn't strong enough to last. (772 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

I, too, must thank Lou91 for this sample. I have been wanting to try this one.

Poured a pale straw color with a touch of cloudiness. Two finger, white head formed and then quickly disappeared. Some light lacing left behind.

Aroma is light. Average wheat beer smell, but with a hint of sweet watermelon. That little wiff of watermelon peaks my curiosity.

The taste follows the same path as the aroma. At first, it seems to be an average wheat beer, but then the watermelon creeps in. Nicely blended between the two. I was worried that it might be too sweet, but it is not. Watermelon aftertaste reminds you that it is a different kind of wheat beer.

Nice, light mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. This would have been an interesting beer to bring to a cookout. I think most people would enjoy it. (803 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery