Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 2,393
2.87/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from can into 10oz glass. Poured a cloudy, hazy yellow with over an inch of white head that almost instantly disappeared and left no trace of having existed.

Typical wheat beer aroma except for the watermelon scent. Same for the taste, there's not much behind the fruit.

The body was typical for a wheat beer, perhaps slightly thin. The drinkability took a penalty for the sticky sweetness. Overall, not a bad beer, I could see throwing a few cans in the cooler for a day tubing on the Nooksack, but this isn't something I'll drink regularly. (551 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Good 2 finger head with retention pale white-ish orange color not very opaque

N: Nose has some wheat and some biscuit but mostly watermelon and touch of cream

T: Taste has watermelon right up front, some nice wheaty flavors, a little yeasty and some sweet sugars but otherwise not sweet at all, a little special B type malts with Belgian creaminess, little biscuit and slight hop

M: Mouth is light and a little airy but also creamy

F: Finish is pretty dry and has a slight bitterness on the finish but more watermelon on the tongue, pretty refreshing beer surprisingly

Final Thoughts: Bought this beer for my wife to try to get her into beers with a watermelon, but turns out this is closer to a "real" beer than a fruity watermelon beer. It has a nice malty and wheaty biscuit taste and followed with some slight hops. I liked it more than her. My guess is Nikko and Shaun tried to make a Watermelon beer that beer drinkers could enjoy too, or as the last step between a fruity mellow beer and an IPA. It's also a great summer drinking beer after a hot day. (1,066 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

Almost how I remember it at the brewpub. Unimpressive American Wheat (hey, I appreciate the style for what it is but it isn't that impressive a style) which ends with a nice watermelon taste. And that finish really works for this beer.

There was a slight sourness to this beer. Not sure if that was intentional.

I think the watermelon gives this beer a slightly darker shade than most wheat beers. (399 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -37.9%

Chilled can into a glass.

I was hot as hell when I had this, so I thought it would be a perfect beer for the circumstances.

A: Pours a clear straw color with a slight orange shade to it. The vigorous pour yields a decent head, but retention is a few seconds at best, receding into a collar and leaving no lacing down the glass.

S: Mostly an earthy yeast and wheat smell with the unmistakable tinge of Taco Bell bean burritos. I'm not making this up. A little lemony citrus to it. No watermelon.

T: Mostly a yeast and wheat combination, with a slightly tart watermelon finish. There's still that Taco Bell bean burrito flavor in here. WTF!?! My palate is totally clean too.

M: Light-bodied. Carbonation is moderate. Flavor is a bit watery.

D: I do enjoy Taco Bell (shoot me), but I didn't enjoy this beer. It's not something I'd have again unless someone made me drink it. (883 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +17.4%

Had at this years OBF!

- Clear straw-yellow appearance... little bit of white lacing... bubbly...

- Great citrusy watermelon scent with some wheat and malt.. some breadiness... not bad..

- Smooth balanced flavor... somewhat watery though.. but certainly some watermelon... bit sweet and candy-like though. Ok I guess..

- Watery, like a watery fruit drink... light and refreshing...

- I could easily do a 12-pack on a hot day and wonder why I would be thirsty still and dehydrated.... a nice sporty brew for a hot day. Put some caffeine in it and it would appeal to some kids... (582 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsener glass.

A - Poured a slightly cloudy yellow/orange color. The pour prodiced a head of white foam that quickly subsided into a ring of tiny bubbles.

S - Yeasty, sourdough aroma. Slight hints of citrus and watermelon.

T - Tough to describe. Slightly yeasty (but not as strong as the aroma would lead you to believe). Finishes off with slightly sour watermelon flavor. Very well done.

MF&D - Crisp and refreshing. A great Summer choice. (475 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer Advocate calls this a fruit beer but I would put it closer to a wheat. Although there is a slight watermelon aroma and taste it's really not that strong. It's an excellent, drinkable beer and a great summer draft. Might also be accessible to non-beer drinkers, like my wife. (279 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a lemon-gold with a bright white fluffy 1 finger head that settled to a polished surface rather quickly with no lacing. A light display of effervesce, with an overall appearance of decent.

S: fruity with fresh watermelon and raspberries. Surprised here, was expecting an overkill of artificial flavoring but was rater quite subdued with a freshness of real watermelon. There is a bit of sugary orange juice (sunny d) as well as noticeable soft fresh wheat coming through. The scent was rather light to medium in strength and disappointing at first, but soon came to appreciate its subtleness and fresh fruity unique nature the more I explored it.

T: The flavor delivered some sunny d orange juice notes as well dominant watermelon flavors that quenched the tongue. Once again was expecting an overkill of artificial watermelon and fruit bomb similar to a wine cooler but the overall flavor came off very subdued and fresh against a pale wheat backing. Crisp, refreshing and fruity with just enough watermelon presence to make you appreciate it without becoming overbearing like many other fruit beers. The finish find a soft tartness of light orange juice along as a soft floral hopping. Overall was quite impressed on how this was pulled off, not an easy thing to do. The wheat malting takes a back seat to the fruity watermelon nature but still contributes more then the average fruit beer.

M: a medium viscosity, smooth with just a tingle of carbonation detected. Sadly it was just ok though in comparison to the rest of the drink coming of just average.

D: Would give this a decent drinkability factor rating here. Soft fruity nature with a decent crispness lends its way to a decent summer picnic quencher. The balance lets just enough of the wheat malting come through while the fruity watermelon taste comes through but never overstays its welcome. Good for several at a time like I said as a summer picnic quencher or tweener beer to beat the heat and something unique with a twist flavorwise. (2,018 characters)

3.27/5  rDev 0%

Can into Sam Adams lager glass.

Pours pale straw, just a bit hazy, with a thin, soapy white head that settles down into a bit of a sad soapy layer afterwards.

Nose is pretty nice actually - lightly sweet watermelon that's pretty subtle and a bit of grainy wheat.

Taste isn't really my bag. Watermelon is there, and it isn't overbearing, but it doesn't really mesh with the rest of the beer that well, which is basically an American pale wheat. There's a point at the beginning where you really get that odd "fleshiness" from the watermelon, and it doesn't taste like it belongs in a beer at all. This gets better as it warms a bit, but doesn't entirely go away. Light grainy cereal and wheat notes, and not much else going on. Finish carries a bit more watermelon, and it's actually good - juicy and lightly sweet. But it's not a good thing when the aftertaste of a beer is significantly better than the taste.

Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied, crisp carbonation, a bit dry.

Drinkability is all dependent on how well you like the watermelon aspect. As for me, I found it pretty wearing. YMMV. (1,100 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into a wheat beer glass.

Pours a golden color. Decent two fingered head.

Very clear, not like traditional wheat beers- must be filtered.

I personally did not like the taste. I agree with another review that it had an artificial watermelon taste, but at the same time, I could see how some might like the flavor. It could be refreshing, but it just did not suit my palate for wheat beers.

Give it a try if you're looking for a fruit beer that is not overwhelmingly fruity. (482 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%

I gave this one the ultimate test - in was chilling in the fridge while I was cutting my lawn on a humid 88 degree day. Did I mention that I have an old cast iron reel mower?

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange. Quickly fading creamy white head.

S: Sweetness in the nose. Clean.

T: A creamy sweetness upfront with just a kiss of watermelon. The watermelon is spot on - you will expect to be spitting out seeds. A bit of tartness at the end.

M: Creamy in and crisp at the end.

d: Like bitting in to a real watermellon. If it is a hot-ass day, you are going to be all over this beer. The flavor is subtle and not overwhelming, you can have a few of these without the sweetness turning your stomach like some fruit concoctions will.

The wheat base really lends itself well to the watermelon taste.

If you like fruit beer or American wheat beers, you should give this one a go. (877 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -19%

A: Hazy yellow/amber color. White head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Watermelon, obviously. Get some bready yeast in there. It's not bad, pretty interesting - just doesn't really smell like beer.

T: You do taste watermelon, but it's not obnoxious or sweet. The taste is watery though, and there isn't a whole lot of depth to this beer. Some wheat in there.

M: Very light. Finish is watery

D: At first, i'd say despite the lacklusterness of this beer that it was actually pretty drinkable. But about 10 min after i finished, i didn't really feel that great and the thought of another wasn't very appealing. (624 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -64.5%

i was offered a can of this beer to try from my daughter and found it awful. but to be fair i said i would try one more and this is my review.

pours a lightly hazed yellow, quickly fading head and no lace. so we are off to a bad start.

aroma was kind of funky not what watermelon should smell like to my nose. so we continue a bad appearance to a bad smell.

taste was artificial at best and i did not really taste any wheat ending with a slightly sour note.

mouthfeel and carbonation ok.

drinkability, i am glad i didn't buy it. (533 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Loved the first beer I had from this brewery.. another cool name and artwork on the can for this one. 5.2% ABV for a fruit beer? Damn, pretty high there. Pours a cloudy yellow.. not much head to it and little lacing if any. Smell is slightly sweet with some pale malt aroma in there. Taste is fairly light bodied with a decent mouthfeel, nice wheaty taste to it with a kiss of watermelon flavor at the end. I appreciate the fact that they didn't overdo the watermelon and make it way too sweet. Also, they didn't make it hidden either and you can actually taste it.. found a nice happy medium here. A pretty solid fruit beer, won't blow your socks off but pretty drinkable and pretty unique. (691 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Pretty skeptical of any fruit beer aside from authentic lambics, but I'd heard this was good, and randomly picked up a watermelon this afternoon so I thought I'd give this beer a shot. Pours a pale-ish yellow from the can, dissipating head but a nice color and slight cloud to it. Hard to pick up much watermelon in the nose, which to me is a good sign. Mostly pale malts and a light sweetness, which may be the fruit I'm smelling. Taste is actually just about what I was looking for - not too much watermelon up front, but a nice pale maltiness and a touch of wheat, almost reminiscent of a German lager. A nice refreshing touch of watermelon in the finish, awesome. Light yet not lacking body on the palate, and quite refreshing and pleasurable to drink. This is the first fruit beer (like I said, non-lambic) that I've liked in a long, long time. I would actually get this again. And the best part - no seeds! Mwaahahahahaha... (930 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +7.6%

A-Golden adjunct lager looking with a thin white head that reduces to a thin veil and leaves no lace.

S-Light watermelon rind and a bit of sweetness.

T-Light wheat malt biscuit sweetness with the bitter backing of watermelon rind. Nothing extraordinary here.

M-Light bodied, crisp and refreshing...the best feature of this one. A good summer quencher.

D-A decent brew...nothing wrong with it but nothing exciting either. Kinda boring with a bit f watermelon rnd bitterness making it different. Too bad...I have been looking forward to this one for a long time....we have a better watermelon beer right here in south central PA. (631 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +9.8%

12 ounce can..."Yeast inside-agitate before opening" nice to see towards the top of the can. Pours cloucy lemony and still, w/o bubbles rising to the top. Quickly departing head and leaves no lace. I believe I do get a slight wiff of watermelon rind on the nose. Light and fruity, some might say watery even...Perhaps a hint of watermelon on the tongue...Lawn mower/very hot day beer... (386 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer looks quite plain, almost adjunct lager-y with a flat gold and a touch a haze. There are quite a few bubbles rising out but not making much of a head.

Smells too of cheap beer, but with a sour touch of freshly baked bread or some dinner rolls. There's also a faint lime rind here.

The flavor starts with a touch fruity lemon and lime that picks up a touch of dry wheat reminding me of a hefe, but this one is far dryer. It also picks up that cheap beer flavor, but the fruity notes seem to work quite well with it. I could have quite a few of these. The watermelon is not very overt, but present, much like a jolly rancher, though. I've had this on tap and there's just pure extract emanating from it, but in the can, this is far more understated.

Feels glassy, dense and clean with just a soft scrub of carbonation.

Nice! Nothing fancy here, just an easy drinkin' beer. (885 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +11%

Served in a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a white head that reduces to a very thin layer, but never disappears.

Aroma is very much a wheat, but sweeter. You can smell a fruitiness, but I'm not sure i would have said 'watermelon' if i didn't know. The taste is very fresh and unique and mild. There are flavors of wheat and fruit, but it seems to be more of the rind than the sweet fruit. It is much more clearly watermelon. It's highly carbonated, but easy drinking. A great summer beer. (507 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Light pale wheat beer look, typical for the style

S- Smell of watermelon, hops, slight sour malt

t= Wheat beer with decent carbonation, very slight hops with flavors of watermelon rind

M- Mouthfeel was good, good carbonation

D- Ehh, its 'drinkable' if you like it.

This beer is just not my thing. I waited to review until after I drank all six beers over the last week. Just didnt like it. The watermelon turned me off. I think with out the melon it would probably be a great sessionable wheat beer. It was just to weird for me, but I can see how other people might like this. However it wont discourage me from trying their other styles. (646 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +9.2%

I garnished this with a watermelon slice. This was my 4th of July beer of choice. I had never heard of 21st Amendment Brewery before; this was my first beer from them.

A) straw-colored, in between yellow and amber. Thin white head disappeared quickly, no lacing.

S) mild - wheat, lemon, watermelon

T) Like it smelled, but stronger on the watermelon. But not overpowering.

MF) Fairly crisp, a little thin feeling

D) Very high. Pleasant taste, low-ish (average) ABV, refreshing. Easy to down several of these in a sitting.

Overall, kind of boring but a good summer session beer. (585 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

12 oz can served in a Sam Adams pint glass. Purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ.

A: Cloudy light golden/straw body. Tall fluffy white head settled fairly quickly into thin film.

S: Smells like other wheat beers I've had. Assorted grains with hints of lemon. Watermelon is also faintly present.

T: A somewhat sweet and fruity, but not overbearing, start. Watermelon is again present. Finishes a bit tart.

M: Light to Medium bodied. A bit crisp.

D: Refreshing on a hot summer day. It's a decent beer, but not overly impressive. Low alcohol and light body increase its drinkability. (596 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +26.9%

CAN I give a shout-out to my man Shaun right now? I looove craft beer in a CAN and he is my hookup!

Before we begin today's review, let me tell you a bit more about truth in advertising - I chastised Miller Lite for their sneaky "TM" B/S business yesterday and today, credit must be given where credit is due. The very top of the can, just below the rim, read "Yeast Inside - Agitate Before Opening". I love to agitate yeast, so I told it that it was dead, its mom was as stinky as Brett, it couldn't ferment its way out of a paper bag, and on and on. Finally, after it refused to rise to the bait, I gently inverted the can, reverted it to an upright position, and repeated the process until it was, indeed, agitated.

Onward!

I got a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that simply dropped into wisps. Oh well. The color was a supremely hazy (no duh! see above) lemony yellow. The nose was definitely wheat beer and I can say that, having attended the SPTR Wheaties Fest last Saturday. It had a light scent of being out in a field at the height of growing season as the breeze blows on a warm day, underlain by a light black pepper spiciness. No watermelon on the nose, though. Mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a light, wheat flavor on the palate. Where was the watermelon? On the finish! Ho, this suddenly put me in mind of a watermelon-eating contest at the Henderson's farm on a 4th of July of my youth! Suddenly, watermelon was prevalent. Should I sprinkle some salt on the top of my next one? Yoi!

Drinkability: Well, in the heat of summer with the clothes on the line to conserve energy, perfect! In the dead of winter, coming home from a long day with the freshmen, no so much. Plus, it probably helps if you like watermelon. (1,739 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -13.8%

I had this on tap at the pour farm in New Bedford, MA

Pored a typical maco brew looking gold with small yellow fizzy head that turned into nothing. Smelled like a typical macro beer, kinda corny, not much smell. Watermelon obviously.

tastes good if you really enjoy fruit beers. I don't mind fruit beers, but this one just isnt for me. The watermelon tastes like a jolly rancher dipped into a bud light.

Mouthfeel is pretty average.

Drinkability is average because I can't see myself craving these.

overall: I really don't get what all the hype is about. Overrated. (571 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours your typical sort-of-amberish-golden wheat color. The color is actually somewhat of a surprise as you're expecting perhaps some red from the watermelon. Smell is very, very faint, nothing really to pick out from a hazy wheat body. Flavor is average wheat with the slightest bit of watermelon in there, true watermelon, not watermelon-flavor the way a jolly rancher or other candy is labeled as "watermelon" then tastes nothing at all like the fruit. Its a watery (the way the fruit is a very wateryfruit) presence with a hint of sweetness. Mouth and drinkability are also fairly typical of wheat style. Mouth is light and sort of unnoticeable. Drinkability scores it some points as you could probably drink a ton of them, as long as you like the flavor. (759 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery