Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

In a can from Cold Springs, MN. Buy local?

Canned on 4/8/13.

They serve this one with watermelon slices. Thankfully I’m all out of watermelon.

This pours a hazy light straw-golden color with slight foaming that rapidly dissipates.
The “Jolly Rancher” watermelon comparisons are not far from the truth—the aroma has a slight watermelon (artificial) aroma to it.

The flavor has a dominating watermelon candy flavor to it, without any redeeming wheat beer qualities. I enjoyed this more on draught but I just can’t recommend it in cans, even as an ‘easy drinking summer beer’ category.

4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

4.75/5  rDev +44.4%

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't think I would have ever decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%