1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,472 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
berpwillie

pours a slightly hazy yellow color with good white fluffy head, good lacing, and average carbonation. i don't want to bash beer, but.... this beer was absolutley disgusting. i don't see how anyone could drink this. now, i'm hoping that maybe i just got some from a bad batch or something. it was brand new in my local bottle shop so i know it wasn't old. it had a nasty fish like smell and taste. so much so me and two other BA's couldn't make it past a few sips. all three beers got poured out. just to make sure i popped the rest of the sixer and it was the same in them all. avoid this shit at all cost!

06-16-2010 15:55:46 | More by berpwillie
hipsterbob

I don't review beers, but this beer was in need of a review.

This beer made me want to do a drain poor from just the smell, let alone the first sip, and i've drank some pretty garbage beers before that i could at least somewhat tolerate.

look - like day old warm apple juice, and i've seen more head on pouring water into a glass at high pressure.

taste - tasted like when you threw up in your mouth a little bit, and you force it back down, and you taste what you ate earlier that day, but with an obviously throwup-ie taste. and if there was any remote watermelon taste, it was the the taste of rind of a mellon, gross.

feel - couldn't really feel the mouth feel, since i was busy trying to swallow this beer.

overall - won't ever drink this again, i only finished it, since i paid $2 for it. after seeing this beer on a website showing cool beers i should try, name seemed interesting and inviting, and after looking at the "ba" overall reviews for this beer, i decided to try it, and man, was it a complete disappointment.

07-23-2010 23:51:52 | More by hipsterbob
ExtraStout

A "gift" from my son. Pours a very hazy yellow color with a white head and soda like carbonation. This beer was absolutely disgusting. It smelt like puke!! I checked the can date and it was only 5 weeks old so that wasn’t it.

I thought about just dumping it but it was all I had so after thinking long and hard, I remembered that if you hold your nose you can’t really taste what is in your mouth. It worked, I got it down fast. This is nasty shit!! I wish I could rate it even lower.

05-14-2012 22:53:00 | More by ExtraStout
LittleBreeze

1.05/5  rDev -67.6%

Pale yellow. Aroma is an awful combination of sweetness mixed with pickled rind and layered with sweaty rotten wheat. Bad combination. Bad idea. This beer fails as a fruit beer and as a wheat beer. The taste was an unpleasant gag fest sour something with a hint of wheat. An after taste lingers long after the beer was poured out. I wanted to cry.

09-30-2008 16:41:08 | More by LittleBreeze
NittanyBeerFan

1.05/5  rDev -67.6%

A "gift" from my buddy Trey, which I found out later was intentionally a total joke. Thrown in as an extra to one of our regular beer swaps at the last minute. Watermelon wheat didn't sound too appealing, so I waited until now to try it.

I crack the can and take a whiff. I smell tin. Ok, well, that could just be the can. Let's see what it looks like...Bud Light has a more appealing color than this beer. This is the lightest beer I have ever come across. Not only is it completely uninspiring, it produces no head at all. The only thing that I can think of as I look at this is Maddox's reaction to children's art.

The smell, which I thought was only bad because it was in a can turns out to actually be putrid. It isn't just distorted in the aluminum can. It smells like fake watermelon, shrimp, and old tuna juice.

I wish I could explain the abomination that was this beer's flavor, but I could only get through two sips before I had to get rid of this beer. It starts with a sweet watermelon taste, but as soon as it really hits my tongue, that taste turns and yields a horrific tinny flavor. It makes my stomach lurch. Some people put wolf urine in their yards to ward off deer. I poured this along my property line to achieve the same effect.

I imagine that if the flavor was good, the feel would be OK, but the fact that this beer made my mind go down the "I never want to drink again," path, and I wasn't even hungover makes me unable to give this anything even reasonably good. I think that the remainder of this beer should be donated to attractive young women everywhere in lieu of mace. Holy shit this is awful. Satan himself couldn't spawn something this evil.

07-04-2010 02:10:53 | More by NittanyBeerFan
billybob

1.15/5  rDev -64.5%

i was offered a can of this beer to try from my daughter and found it awful. but to be fair i said i would try one more and this is my review.

pours a lightly hazed yellow, quickly fading head and no lace. so we are off to a bad start.

aroma was kind of funky not what watermelon should smell like to my nose. so we continue a bad appearance to a bad smell.

taste was artificial at best and i did not really taste any wheat ending with a slightly sour note.

mouthfeel and carbonation ok.

drinkability, i am glad i didn't buy it.

07-14-2009 15:49:47 | More by billybob
Ryan011235

1.18/5  rDev -63.6%

Poured into a pint glass on 7/21/10

Pale gold & hay colored. Haziness is apparent when held to the light; it actually casts a soapy sheen. White foam rose to 1/4th inch, though it fizzled out in an aggressive fashion. These bubbles appeared to hit the surface enraged. No head retention & no lace.

Ah, the aroma. Some toasted wheat notes are all I can tolerate. Something of a watermelon aroma, I guess; watered down juice. Maybe not quite stale, but well past it's prime (the watered down juice, that is). Imagine sticking your head in a garbage can with old watermelon rind in it. Some herbal, spicy overtones muddle it up even more. Ugh.

What a wretched tasting beer. Watermelon, huh? What a piss poor representation of it. All at once it tastes watered down, rotten, medicinal & tea-like. Wheat notes simply cannot compete with the awful flavor of whatever shoddy watermelon-type crap was used to brew this. I have a hard time imagining this wasn't aged on moldy tea leaves & rotten logs. It has a phantom garbage aftertaste to boot. This is vile.

Light body with very low carbonation; seemingly intent to let the flavors loiter. Never before have I encountered a 4.9% abv beer that has an even-so-slightly numbing sensation on the palate like this beer does. Musty, mold-addled undertones linger far too long.

Drinkability? This is the cud of the beer world. Never again.

07-23-2010 02:32:42 | More by Ryan011235
SportsandJorts

1.24/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1

Appearance: a light yellow color. good clarity. a huge foamy head that fades pretty quickly

Smell: as soon as i start pouring i am overwhelmed with a artificial sweetness. other smells include a kinda light lager smell

Taste: bad watermelon juice and really fluffy wheat.

Mouthfeel: light and way too sweet

Overall: just plain awful. this beer does not work out in any way for me. I have had many people try it and no matter their beer of preference or level of intoxification every one has said it is just plain bad.

08-06-2013 15:43:37 | More by SportsandJorts
omb

1.25/5  rDev -61.4%

Have heard good things about 21st Amendment. Well lets say I was extremely disappointed with my 1st forray. This was a can poured into a frosted pint glass.

Boring, stale, flat taste, and that's just the good things. The taste of watermelon was overpowering. Head was small.

This was so bad the bartendered offered a substitution.

Hopefully my future posts will be for better buys.

03-17-2011 14:08:30 | More by omb
treyrab

1.27/5  rDev -60.8%

Big thanks to Matt for this extra. I have always been intrigued by this, so I was glad to pour it into my pint glass...

A: Very pale macro looking with a strong yellow hue. Active carbonation coming through with a snowblind white head.

S: Smell. Whew, the smell. Smells like a watermelon that has been sitting out in the sun for 3 weeks. Some pale malts help hide that scent, but it can only do so much.

T: The taste is of that same watermelon smell, and is by no means delicious. Very light taste like a macro with old watermelon thrown in.

Really glad I had the chance to try this, but I can't say it is one I will be seeking out anytime soon.

01-03-2009 02:04:51 | More by treyrab
wedge

1.3/5  rDev -59.9%

Hazy yellow gold with a white head. The aroma instantly filled me with a sense of "I've made a huge mistake". Both the smell and the flavor shared similar qualities, but at least there was a hint of watermelon sweetness in the nose. The main characteristic though - and I'm being very serious - was that it reminded me of vomit. It took me a little while to figure out exactly what was disturbing me so much with each sip (bile isn't usually one of the first descriptors my brain searches for when drinking a beer). Other things that came to mind: corn, butterscotch, pumpkin, yogurt...just sour, weird, and wholly unpleasant. Admittedly, I've never been a huge fan of watermelon, though "watermelon flavored" candy is perfectly acceptable and even enjoyable when I come across it. There was pretty much nothing in that can that made me think "watermelon".

Very rare is the occasion where I cannot finish a beer, but I had to move on after about half. I'm surprised I made it that far, my friend and I trading various upsetting facial expressions, choking it down trying to figure out exactly what was going on with this beer. Vomit. It reminded me of vomit. Vile, repulsive stuff...

05-18-2012 14:22:33 | More by wedge
homebrew311

1.35/5  rDev -58.3%

Intriguing- this is my first beer with watermelon.

A: pours a hazy orange with minimal white head. A touch of laacing.

S: funky herbal notes up front...very off putting. Notes of stale wheat and a hint of Jolly Rancher watermelon (read artificial) at the end which does not fit with the rest of the profile. This smells like a mess.

T: up front is that weird herbal tea like character that I picked up on the nose. Again, very off putting. A little bit of watermelon comes in on the middle but it is lost in the disgusting malt character. Not a fan.

MF: Medium carbonation, light body

D: Yuck! Will never have this one again. Nothing about this beer works for me. I was turned off by the smell and the taste provided exactly what the smell promised: an undrinkable beer. Avoid this one.

12-08-2010 07:51:50 | More by homebrew311
AdamTheFool

1.43/5  rDev -55.9%

I was really excited to find an adventurous beer in a can in the liquor store. Turns out it was TOO adventurous. I ended up having to draw straws every round of beers and give it to the loser just to get rid of it.

This beer tasted watered down and that may have been the best part of it. I don't mean to be cruel but so far on this site it had a B-. Someone must have been grading on a curve

12-23-2010 18:24:26 | More by AdamTheFool
DWolf

1.43/5  rDev -55.9%

Ah, with Memorial Day passing, we can officially say summer is here. And, nothing makes a warm summer day more pleasant than relaxing with a cold beer. And, few beers are more refreshing in that moment than a good wheat beer. Not too heavy - not too light ... maybe with a touch of spice, grass, or lemon or other fruit. So, why not watermelon? What is a more quintessential fruit of summer than watermelon? Which brings me to Hell or High Watermelon Wheat beer from 21st Amendment.

You know when you are done eating a piece of watermelon, and all the juicy flesh is gone, and you get down to that white part near the rind? Yet, you keep taking a bite or two more. And, you get this sour bitterness that tastes pretty much like nothing except sour bitter water with a hint of watermelon?

Yeah, that's what this beer tastes like.

I drank two cans from the 6-pack I bought from the cooler. Both the same. The next four likely will go down the drain.

Don't know if this was a bad batch or what. But, given some other reviews, maybe not.

Normally, I like most beers from 21st Amendment. But, this one was a disappointment.

06-01-2012 13:13:09 | More by DWolf
BeerManDanNYC

1.45/5  rDev -55.2%

Not only is this a terrible wheat beer, it is a bad beer with artificial tasting watermelon flavor in it. I never pour out a beer if I can choke it down. This one got dumped after one painful gulp! Usually I can find something positive in most beers but I am drawing a blank with this one.

09-28-2011 18:47:02 | More by BeerManDanNYC
dougofthefuture

1.48/5  rDev -54.3%

Bought a single can to give it a try. I want to like 21st Amendment...

A - Very pale cloudy yellow. No head, little lacing.

S - Smells like slightly rotting organic matter. Maybe the insides of a pumpkin. Maybe the watermelon rinds after two weeks in the hot sun. It certainly has a strong smell, but it's the least appealing smell I've ever found in a beer. Near gag reflex. I can't stress this enough. This smells awful. I never drain pour a beer. I'm close on this one, and I've never tasted it!

T & M - See above. Imagine that ambiguous rotting organic matter is now soaked in Miller Lite, and then rung out into a can. For good measure, I imagine this can was probably left in the sun another couple of hours. The only positive is my breath is now watermelony fresh. That's the first I really noticed the watermelon, and I hope it never finds its way into a beer again.

D - You'll have to ask my drain on this one. I have no intentions of finishing this.

This is the worst beer I've had in a VERY long time...

01-29-2010 02:11:42 | More by dougofthefuture
MbpBugeye

1.48/5  rDev -54.3%

Cans served at Dirty Franks in Columbus. Morbid curiosity brought me to try this one.

Those of you who read my reviews might notice I dont have very much mean to say about any beers, if I review a macro its because it meant something to me in the past. Well this review might be a change of pace.

A- Oh man this might be one of the least appetizing beers Ive ever seen. Its worse than most macros. I poured this myself into a pint glass and still I get really no head, no lacing, no effervescence, no signs of life what so ever. The color is a strangely hazy (not fully or not partially hazy either, just sort of grimy) yellow.

S- Wheaty and yeasty. Its trying to have smells of a good hefe... There is some banana and clove. The rich banana bread smells of a good wheat beer are not there. There really isnt any watermelon in the smell.

T- Aluminum is what I got first. I mean I heard of many macros tasting like the can they came out of but this one is the first where I actually notice that taste. Once you get past the galvanized taste the beer starts out straight wheaty and yeasty. It then promptly breaks into an artificial, candy like watermelon taste. Its just like watermelon Jolly Ranchers. The finish is yet more wheat and some spice.

D- I didnt even finish my glass. The alcohol is low, this is a sweet beer. People who arent used to stronger, more flavorful beers might like this. Personally I think its a waste.

05-22-2010 07:50:31 | More by MbpBugeye
mralphabet

1.5/5  rDev -53.7%

Pour Can into Pint Glass

A: Hazy and orange in color, big 2 finger soapy head that dissipates to a nice ring of foam. Little lacing but not much. Looks like a nice wheat.

S: Watermelon rind... Green watermelon rind. It is had to get past it.... the next thing I'm getting it is some sweet malt and a little wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent

T: Wow the watermelon rind is here as well.... and strong. There is also a mild sweetness and a slight hint of citrus.

M: Mid to light bodied with good carbonation. A little more filling than most wheat beers I've had.

D: The taste killed it for more so not very drinkable for me....

Maybe I'm missing something but what I was getting was not enjoyable to me...

I will not let this hold me back from trying another 21st Amendment Brew.

02-22-2010 00:59:01 | More by mralphabet
xpoweruser

1.53/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Golden straw color. Very cloudy with sediment. White foamy head that does not stick around.

Aroma: Light banana and clove, yeasty. Slight watermelon aroma.

Taste: Watery banana, clove and yeast flavor. Some tart and watermelon notes, but overall this is a very bland and watery brew.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery. Very light bodied. Somewhat offensive, does not go down smooth at all.

Drinkability: A sad attempt at a wheat beer. A poorly brewed wheat beer with some watermelon juice added is not a good mix.

12-31-2010 04:59:21 | More by xpoweruser
Guden

1.53/5  rDev -52.8%

A- Looks like a nice wheat beer, nothing too exciting, medium head and worthy lacing.

S- Decent wheat notes with some watermelon, maybe a little bitterness from the hops or fruit itself, nothing unreasonable.

T- Nope, not gonna drink this. Watermelon rind, bitter awful watermelon rind and nothing else. Never poured a beer down the drain before and hope never to do it again but this is undrinkable, gross.

M- Poured it, might have been fine but I couldn't care what it felt like when it tasted wretched.

D- Couldn't handle a few sips, no way will I buy this again.

03-06-2011 06:15:37 | More by Guden
nrbw23

1.58/5  rDev -51.2%

A- Pours a pretty clear pale gold color with a thin white head. Head is gone almost instantly and leaves no lacing.

S- Doesn't have a watermelon smell at all. Smells like a Bud light not really picking up a whole lot.

T- Taste is mostly yeast and wheat flavours. With a touch of a fruit in there maybe its watermelon but wouldn't count on it. It reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

D- Wow this is terrible. I sadly report I couldn't finish this one and I actually looked forward to this one.

01-11-2010 08:38:56 | More by nrbw23
tencents

1.6/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Very unappealing partially cloudy gray gold. Went immediately flat.
S - Hint of the watermelon, otherwise not a whole lot.
T - Watermelon prevalent at finish, but tastes artificial. As the beer aired and warmed the taste really turned south.
M - Thin, very watery, almost no body.
O - Worst beer I've had in a while. I'd like to say its the watermelon but honestly feel it is just a poor quality beer.

05-05-2012 13:03:24 | More by tencents
axeman9182

1.6/5  rDev -50.6%

12 oz can, dated 3/26/12. It was poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

Hell or High Watermelon poursa somewhat hazy golden yellow. Three or so fingers of white foam cap the beer, but it all fades quickly and quietly. The nose has a bit of a Jolly Rancher watermelon type aroma to it, but there's also another smell that I can't quite place, but it definitely doesn't belong. This is quite simply the worst beer I've ever tasted. The flavor is what I'd imagine it would taste like if you let the leftover milk from a bowl of cereal sit out for a day and then tried to drink it. The body has a weird creaminess to it, only highlighting the awful taste. The carbonation is on the low side. If I ever did a video review of Hell or High Watermelon, it would probably end up a bit like the "I award you zero points, may God have mercy on your soul" speech from Billy Madison.

06-16-2012 19:53:11 | More by axeman9182
Overlord

1.68/5  rDev -48.1%

Sounded interesting ... and almost impossible to get right. And it sorta was.

Pours a somewhat hazy gold with a mild white foam head. Smells weird, with a definite whiff of watermelon and yeast.

The taste is ... all over the place. The mouthfeel's a bit thin and watery, and there's a sharp, almost acidic watermelon flavor running through it, but I don't detect much wheat, malt, or any other balancing flavor. Just not quite right.

Spritzy. Bad mouthfeel.

08-09-2008 07:35:19 | More by Overlord
rbouton

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why.

01-24-2010 06:35:54 | More by rbouton