2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,474 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
wedge

1.3/5  rDev -59.9%

Hazy yellow gold with a white head. The aroma instantly filled me with a sense of "I've made a huge mistake". Both the smell and the flavor shared similar qualities, but at least there was a hint of watermelon sweetness in the nose. The main characteristic though - and I'm being very serious - was that it reminded me of vomit. It took me a little while to figure out exactly what was disturbing me so much with each sip (bile isn't usually one of the first descriptors my brain searches for when drinking a beer). Other things that came to mind: corn, butterscotch, pumpkin, yogurt...just sour, weird, and wholly unpleasant. Admittedly, I've never been a huge fan of watermelon, though "watermelon flavored" candy is perfectly acceptable and even enjoyable when I come across it. There was pretty much nothing in that can that made me think "watermelon".

Very rare is the occasion where I cannot finish a beer, but I had to move on after about half. I'm surprised I made it that far, my friend and I trading various upsetting facial expressions, choking it down trying to figure out exactly what was going on with this beer. Vomit. It reminded me of vomit. Vile, repulsive stuff...

05-18-2012 14:22:33 | More by wedge
homebrew311

1.35/5  rDev -58.3%

Intriguing- this is my first beer with watermelon.

A: pours a hazy orange with minimal white head. A touch of laacing.

S: funky herbal notes up front...very off putting. Notes of stale wheat and a hint of Jolly Rancher watermelon (read artificial) at the end which does not fit with the rest of the profile. This smells like a mess.

T: up front is that weird herbal tea like character that I picked up on the nose. Again, very off putting. A little bit of watermelon comes in on the middle but it is lost in the disgusting malt character. Not a fan.

MF: Medium carbonation, light body

D: Yuck! Will never have this one again. Nothing about this beer works for me. I was turned off by the smell and the taste provided exactly what the smell promised: an undrinkable beer. Avoid this one.

12-08-2010 07:51:50 | More by homebrew311
AdamTheFool

1.43/5  rDev -55.9%

I was really excited to find an adventurous beer in a can in the liquor store. Turns out it was TOO adventurous. I ended up having to draw straws every round of beers and give it to the loser just to get rid of it.

This beer tasted watered down and that may have been the best part of it. I don't mean to be cruel but so far on this site it had a B-. Someone must have been grading on a curve

12-23-2010 18:24:26 | More by AdamTheFool
DWolf

1.43/5  rDev -55.9%

Ah, with Memorial Day passing, we can officially say summer is here. And, nothing makes a warm summer day more pleasant than relaxing with a cold beer. And, few beers are more refreshing in that moment than a good wheat beer. Not too heavy - not too light ... maybe with a touch of spice, grass, or lemon or other fruit. So, why not watermelon? What is a more quintessential fruit of summer than watermelon? Which brings me to Hell or High Watermelon Wheat beer from 21st Amendment.

You know when you are done eating a piece of watermelon, and all the juicy flesh is gone, and you get down to that white part near the rind? Yet, you keep taking a bite or two more. And, you get this sour bitterness that tastes pretty much like nothing except sour bitter water with a hint of watermelon?

Yeah, that's what this beer tastes like.

I drank two cans from the 6-pack I bought from the cooler. Both the same. The next four likely will go down the drain.

Don't know if this was a bad batch or what. But, given some other reviews, maybe not.

Normally, I like most beers from 21st Amendment. But, this one was a disappointment.

06-01-2012 13:13:09 | More by DWolf
BeerManDanNYC

1.45/5  rDev -55.2%

Not only is this a terrible wheat beer, it is a bad beer with artificial tasting watermelon flavor in it. I never pour out a beer if I can choke it down. This one got dumped after one painful gulp! Usually I can find something positive in most beers but I am drawing a blank with this one.

09-28-2011 18:47:02 | More by BeerManDanNYC
dougofthefuture

1.48/5  rDev -54.3%

Bought a single can to give it a try. I want to like 21st Amendment...

A - Very pale cloudy yellow. No head, little lacing.

S - Smells like slightly rotting organic matter. Maybe the insides of a pumpkin. Maybe the watermelon rinds after two weeks in the hot sun. It certainly has a strong smell, but it's the least appealing smell I've ever found in a beer. Near gag reflex. I can't stress this enough. This smells awful. I never drain pour a beer. I'm close on this one, and I've never tasted it!

T & M - See above. Imagine that ambiguous rotting organic matter is now soaked in Miller Lite, and then rung out into a can. For good measure, I imagine this can was probably left in the sun another couple of hours. The only positive is my breath is now watermelony fresh. That's the first I really noticed the watermelon, and I hope it never finds its way into a beer again.

D - You'll have to ask my drain on this one. I have no intentions of finishing this.

This is the worst beer I've had in a VERY long time...

01-29-2010 02:11:42 | More by dougofthefuture
MbpBugeye

1.48/5  rDev -54.3%

Cans served at Dirty Franks in Columbus. Morbid curiosity brought me to try this one.

Those of you who read my reviews might notice I dont have very much mean to say about any beers, if I review a macro its because it meant something to me in the past. Well this review might be a change of pace.

A- Oh man this might be one of the least appetizing beers Ive ever seen. Its worse than most macros. I poured this myself into a pint glass and still I get really no head, no lacing, no effervescence, no signs of life what so ever. The color is a strangely hazy (not fully or not partially hazy either, just sort of grimy) yellow.

S- Wheaty and yeasty. Its trying to have smells of a good hefe... There is some banana and clove. The rich banana bread smells of a good wheat beer are not there. There really isnt any watermelon in the smell.

T- Aluminum is what I got first. I mean I heard of many macros tasting like the can they came out of but this one is the first where I actually notice that taste. Once you get past the galvanized taste the beer starts out straight wheaty and yeasty. It then promptly breaks into an artificial, candy like watermelon taste. Its just like watermelon Jolly Ranchers. The finish is yet more wheat and some spice.

D- I didnt even finish my glass. The alcohol is low, this is a sweet beer. People who arent used to stronger, more flavorful beers might like this. Personally I think its a waste.

05-22-2010 07:50:31 | More by MbpBugeye
mralphabet

1.5/5  rDev -53.7%

Pour Can into Pint Glass

A: Hazy and orange in color, big 2 finger soapy head that dissipates to a nice ring of foam. Little lacing but not much. Looks like a nice wheat.

S: Watermelon rind... Green watermelon rind. It is had to get past it.... the next thing I'm getting it is some sweet malt and a little wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent

T: Wow the watermelon rind is here as well.... and strong. There is also a mild sweetness and a slight hint of citrus.

M: Mid to light bodied with good carbonation. A little more filling than most wheat beers I've had.

D: The taste killed it for more so not very drinkable for me....

Maybe I'm missing something but what I was getting was not enjoyable to me...

I will not let this hold me back from trying another 21st Amendment Brew.

02-22-2010 00:59:01 | More by mralphabet
xpoweruser

1.53/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Golden straw color. Very cloudy with sediment. White foamy head that does not stick around.

Aroma: Light banana and clove, yeasty. Slight watermelon aroma.

Taste: Watery banana, clove and yeast flavor. Some tart and watermelon notes, but overall this is a very bland and watery brew.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery. Very light bodied. Somewhat offensive, does not go down smooth at all.

Drinkability: A sad attempt at a wheat beer. A poorly brewed wheat beer with some watermelon juice added is not a good mix.

12-31-2010 04:59:21 | More by xpoweruser
Guden

1.53/5  rDev -52.8%

A- Looks like a nice wheat beer, nothing too exciting, medium head and worthy lacing.

S- Decent wheat notes with some watermelon, maybe a little bitterness from the hops or fruit itself, nothing unreasonable.

T- Nope, not gonna drink this. Watermelon rind, bitter awful watermelon rind and nothing else. Never poured a beer down the drain before and hope never to do it again but this is undrinkable, gross.

M- Poured it, might have been fine but I couldn't care what it felt like when it tasted wretched.

D- Couldn't handle a few sips, no way will I buy this again.

03-06-2011 06:15:37 | More by Guden
nrbw23

1.58/5  rDev -51.2%

A- Pours a pretty clear pale gold color with a thin white head. Head is gone almost instantly and leaves no lacing.

S- Doesn't have a watermelon smell at all. Smells like a Bud light not really picking up a whole lot.

T- Taste is mostly yeast and wheat flavours. With a touch of a fruit in there maybe its watermelon but wouldn't count on it. It reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

D- Wow this is terrible. I sadly report I couldn't finish this one and I actually looked forward to this one.

01-11-2010 08:38:56 | More by nrbw23
tencents

1.6/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Very unappealing partially cloudy gray gold. Went immediately flat.
S - Hint of the watermelon, otherwise not a whole lot.
T - Watermelon prevalent at finish, but tastes artificial. As the beer aired and warmed the taste really turned south.
M - Thin, very watery, almost no body.
O - Worst beer I've had in a while. I'd like to say its the watermelon but honestly feel it is just a poor quality beer.

05-05-2012 13:03:24 | More by tencents
axeman9182

1.6/5  rDev -50.6%

12 oz can, dated 3/26/12. It was poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

Hell or High Watermelon poursa somewhat hazy golden yellow. Three or so fingers of white foam cap the beer, but it all fades quickly and quietly. The nose has a bit of a Jolly Rancher watermelon type aroma to it, but there's also another smell that I can't quite place, but it definitely doesn't belong. This is quite simply the worst beer I've ever tasted. The flavor is what I'd imagine it would taste like if you let the leftover milk from a bowl of cereal sit out for a day and then tried to drink it. The body has a weird creaminess to it, only highlighting the awful taste. The carbonation is on the low side. If I ever did a video review of Hell or High Watermelon, it would probably end up a bit like the "I award you zero points, may God have mercy on your soul" speech from Billy Madison.

06-16-2012 19:53:11 | More by axeman9182
Overlord

1.68/5  rDev -48.1%

Sounded interesting ... and almost impossible to get right. And it sorta was.

Pours a somewhat hazy gold with a mild white foam head. Smells weird, with a definite whiff of watermelon and yeast.

The taste is ... all over the place. The mouthfeel's a bit thin and watery, and there's a sharp, almost acidic watermelon flavor running through it, but I don't detect much wheat, malt, or any other balancing flavor. Just not quite right.

Spritzy. Bad mouthfeel.

08-09-2008 07:35:19 | More by Overlord
rbouton

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why.

01-24-2010 06:35:54 | More by rbouton
dino213aa

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

What was I thinking? Was I lured in by the packaging? Beer pours with a weak head which dissipates quickly. If it wasn't for the yellow haze, not much would indicate this is a wheat beer. Smell is slightly green. Taste is where this beer really lets down.. I was hoping for some complexity, but this beer tastes like Miller Lite that's been strained through cooked broccoli. If there is any "watermelon" flavor, it's purely rind.. blech! Don't know if I expected this to be sweeter or more inventive, but it's none of these things. Shame because with its light body, if it didn't taste so bad it would be an easy session brew.

I can't believe I still have four left.. ugh.

09-25-2010 22:09:48 | More by dino213aa
ThreeWiseMen

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

Reviewed by Wiseman Nick and Wiseman Pete.

Appearance: Pours a thin, clear, straw-yellow with very loose, white head. Pretty crappy retention with sticky-ish lacing.

Smell: Smells like watermelon Coors Light. Sorry 21st Ammendment: We're not digging this.

Taste: Strong, tart watermelon (similar to a Jolly Rancher) out front with grainy malts in the middle and more sugary watermelon in the finish. Tastes a lot like a watermelon soda.

Mouthfeel: A very light body with pretty high carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Flavor leaves the palate very quickly. Feels like a watermelon soda.

Drinkability: What a great gateway beer for kids! Tastes like Jones Watermelon Soda with a hint of malt. I really wonder about a lot of these Fruit / Vegetable 'Beers'.

12-09-2008 07:53:36 | More by ThreeWiseMen
csmiley

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%

Tx to thaichile for this can.

A - Pours a medium gold with some haze. The white head is pretty minimal and recedes quickly to a paper thin cover atop the brew. Lacing is average at best. There is just not much appeal in this category for this particular brew.

S - A light watermelon type aroma starts things out. At this point it takes a pretty severe turn for the worse. Once the other aromas start to mix with the watermelon it's just over. Aromas include yeast and maybe some wheat. A little bready on the end. Could be some barnyardish things going on as well and that just makes this one even worse. I really can't get into this smell at all. Hopefully the flavor will smooth things out.

T - Nope. Here we go. A sweet watermelon flavor hits the palate first and isn't bad at all. This one turns bad very quickly after the watermelon fades. A wheat kick follows with some doughy flavors bringing up the rear. A sweet, melon flavored hard candy flavor is present throughout. This combination of flavors doesn't work for me at all.

M - Light bodied and kind of light on the carbonation. Finish is funky and sweet at the same time. Clean overall.

D - Drinkability is not very good for this one. The idea of a watermelon flavored wheat brew had me very interested but this attempt just doesn't work for me on almost every level. Not sure if it's the combination of flavors in this particular beer or the idea of watermelon and wheat in general but, I just can't handle it. I'm grateful for the experience but I'll avoid this one in the future.

12-14-2008 03:46:20 | More by csmiley
powoo19

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%

-Pours to a light yellow color slightly darker than a lite beer.
-The smell is all watermelon. A hint of wheat or a bready smell but way too much watermelon.
-I am sad to say the taste is bad. Its more than slightly tart with a poor watermelon flavor. Leaves a bad aftertaste.
- Way too light on the carbonation, like a flat lite beer, causing the bitterness to really stand out.
- This beer was one of the firstbeers that I just could not finish. I likened itto drinkingbaby vomit. At no point in life did anyone ata BBQ say, "Hey, I'm eating watermelon, I'm drinking beer, boy would they go good together." Beer and watermelon, two great tastes that DO NOT go great together.

03-28-2010 16:57:03 | More by powoo19
sdsurfer217

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%

A: Unfiltered, golden yellow color. Absolutely no head. Looks like a ton of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: A little bit of soft sour citrus notes, with a touch of watermelon rind. Fresh baked bread aroma also.

T: Tastes kind of like I just bit into the rind of the watermelon. I don’t taste much actual watermelon juice. Its both bitter and sweet, but not in a good way. Finishes pretty clean, and doesn’t leave much flavor to linger.

M: Pretty light/thin feeling beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Not a very good beer. It’s a weird flavor that I didn’t expect and really doesn’t deliver the promised watermelon taste. I find it extremely strange that this beer is one of the best sellers at Winking Lizard. I won’t be buying this beer and will stick to other offerings from 21st Amendment.

07-09-2011 16:22:54 | More by sdsurfer217
Darkmagus82

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%

Poured from can into pint glass

Appearance - Pours a hazy straw color with a decent head the fades quickly.

Smell - The smell is rather offensive. Metallic and watermelon dominate the smell profile.

Taste - Taste is similar to the smell, rather offensive. Has a rather off artificial watermelon flavor mixed with some wheat malt and again a metallic taste coming in at the end.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel was not too bad really. It had a good level of carbonation and for its relatively low abv it had a decent body.

Overall - This is a beer I would not buy again.

01-08-2012 23:34:21 | More by Darkmagus82
Buebie

1.88/5  rDev -42%

Got this from a friend taking part in a beer of the month club.

Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

The appearance on this is very nice. Poures a very hazy, not at all tansparent golden yellow.
2 finger fluffy white head that receeds leaving a very thin oil on water like retention film.
Lace is thin and spotty.

Aroma on this at first was nice and grainy with a carmel like smell, shifting to a fruity sour cherry aroma. As it warmed the aroma turned south to a smelly rotten flesh, or rotting cheese. I'm almost afraid to try it.

Flavors are odd, in a bad way. I get some mild sweetness up front with the watermelon flavor.
Mouthfeel is thin, its like drinking Miller Lite with a rotten flavor and terrible aftertaste.

DO NOT WANT.

11-09-2008 03:52:06 | More by Buebie
Treyliff

West Virginia

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a straw yellow with minimal head, no lacing. Smells very earthy, almost like a spinach or collard greens!?; a little bit of watermelon comes through.

Taste- Wow, dissapointed, it taste's like spinach. I don't know if this is an old can or what but I feel like popeye should be drinking this; mouthfeel is average. Drinkability is low because I'm assuming that this is supposed to be a refreshing beer. I don't think I can finish this. Maybe it's an old can but I only bought it about a month ago.

12-17-2010 19:17:46 | More by Treyliff
STEG

1.88/5  rDev -42%

Can, shaken as instructed into a pilsner glass

Cloudy pale yellow hue, like a bud light batch gone wrong. At least it has a moderately attractive 2 finger crisp white head.

Smell really needs improvement, I've had thomas hooker's watermelon whatever and it had much more watermelon character in the nose and the taste. This has some light watermelon smells very similar to sniffing the white part of the rind. There are also some sweet corn and circus peanut notes in here as well.

Taste is pretty bland, it has some watermelon character in there at certain points throughout the progression but nothing too great

Mouthfeel is pretty lively with carbonation but super light and watery.

Overall I'm unimpressed and Thomas Hooker's would definitey be my choice given the option.

04-14-2011 23:57:52 | More by STEG
avaldivia

1.88/5  rDev -42%

A: Pale straw color with absolutely no head. I tried swirling to see what would happen and nothing did.

S: Watermelon. Fake artificial watermelon. No wheat, just watermelon.

T: Watermelon and very light wheat. The problem I have with it tasting only like watermelon is watermelon is a very light flavor because, well, it is mostly water. combined with almost no wheat flavor, this just tastes watered down. It is like Coors added watermelon to their recipe.

M: Light, crisp. Nice mouthfeel if you want something crisp around summertime.

O: will not be drinking again. I like 21st Amendment but this is just not very good.

06-29-2011 07:37:30 | More by avaldivia