Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 674 | Hads: 2,388
1.62/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Very unappealing partially cloudy gray gold. Went immediately flat.
S - Hint of the watermelon, otherwise not a whole lot.
T - Watermelon prevalent at finish, but tastes artificial. As the beer aired and warmed the taste really turned south.
M - Thin, very watery, almost no body.
O - Worst beer I've had in a while. I'd like to say its the watermelon but honestly feel it is just a poor quality beer. (405 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -50.2%

A- Looks like a nice wheat beer, nothing too exciting, medium head and worthy lacing.

S- Decent wheat notes with some watermelon, maybe a little bitterness from the hops or fruit itself, nothing unreasonable.

T- Nope, not gonna drink this. Watermelon rind, bitter awful watermelon rind and nothing else. Never poured a beer down the drain before and hope never to do it again but this is undrinkable, gross.

M- Poured it, might have been fine but I couldn't care what it felt like when it tasted wretched.

D- Couldn't handle a few sips, no way will I buy this again. (570 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -48.6%

12 oz can, dated 3/26/12. It was poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

Hell or High Watermelon poursa somewhat hazy golden yellow. Three or so fingers of white foam cap the beer, but it all fades quickly and quietly. The nose has a bit of a Jolly Rancher watermelon type aroma to it, but there's also another smell that I can't quite place, but it definitely doesn't belong. This is quite simply the worst beer I've ever tasted. The flavor is what I'd imagine it would taste like if you let the leftover milk from a bowl of cereal sit out for a day and then tried to drink it. The body has a weird creaminess to it, only highlighting the awful taste. The carbonation is on the low side. If I ever did a video review of Hell or High Watermelon, it would probably end up a bit like the "I award you zero points, may God have mercy on your soul" speech from Billy Madison. (867 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -48%

Sounded interesting ... and almost impossible to get right. And it sorta was.

Pours a somewhat hazy gold with a mild white foam head. Smells weird, with a definite whiff of watermelon and yeast.

The taste is ... all over the place. The mouthfeel's a bit thin and watery, and there's a sharp, almost acidic watermelon flavor running through it, but I don't detect much wheat, malt, or any other balancing flavor. Just not quite right.

Spritzy. Bad mouthfeel. (460 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -46.5%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why. (440 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -45.6%

Reviewed by Wiseman Nick and Wiseman Pete.

Appearance: Pours a thin, clear, straw-yellow with very loose, white head. Pretty crappy retention with sticky-ish lacing.

Smell: Smells like watermelon Coors Light. Sorry 21st Ammendment: We're not digging this.

Taste: Strong, tart watermelon (similar to a Jolly Rancher) out front with grainy malts in the middle and more sugary watermelon in the finish. Tastes a lot like a watermelon soda.

Mouthfeel: A very light body with pretty high carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Flavor leaves the palate very quickly. Feels like a watermelon soda.

Drinkability: What a great gateway beer for kids! Tastes like Jones Watermelon Soda with a hint of malt. I really wonder about a lot of these Fruit / Vegetable 'Beers'. (764 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -45%

What was I thinking? Was I lured in by the packaging? Beer pours with a weak head which dissipates quickly. If it wasn't for the yellow haze, not much would indicate this is a wheat beer. Smell is slightly green. Taste is where this beer really lets down.. I was hoping for some complexity, but this beer tastes like Miller Lite that's been strained through cooked broccoli. If there is any "watermelon" flavor, it's purely rind.. blech! Don't know if I expected this to be sweeter or more inventive, but it's none of these things. Shame because with its light body, if it didn't taste so bad it would be an easy session brew.

I can't believe I still have four left.. ugh. (673 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -43.7%

Poured from can into pint glass

Appearance - Pours a hazy straw color with a decent head the fades quickly.

Smell - The smell is rather offensive. Metallic and watermelon dominate the smell profile.

Taste - Taste is similar to the smell, rather offensive. Has a rather off artificial watermelon flavor mixed with some wheat malt and again a metallic taste coming in at the end.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel was not too bad really. It had a good level of carbonation and for its relatively low abv it had a decent body.

Overall - This is a beer I would not buy again. (569 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -43.7%

Tx to thaichile for this can.

A - Pours a medium gold with some haze. The white head is pretty minimal and recedes quickly to a paper thin cover atop the brew. Lacing is average at best. There is just not much appeal in this category for this particular brew.

S - A light watermelon type aroma starts things out. At this point it takes a pretty severe turn for the worse. Once the other aromas start to mix with the watermelon it's just over. Aromas include yeast and maybe some wheat. A little bready on the end. Could be some barnyardish things going on as well and that just makes this one even worse. I really can't get into this smell at all. Hopefully the flavor will smooth things out.

T - Nope. Here we go. A sweet watermelon flavor hits the palate first and isn't bad at all. This one turns bad very quickly after the watermelon fades. A wheat kick follows with some doughy flavors bringing up the rear. A sweet, melon flavored hard candy flavor is present throughout. This combination of flavors doesn't work for me at all.

M - Light bodied and kind of light on the carbonation. Finish is funky and sweet at the same time. Clean overall.

D - Drinkability is not very good for this one. The idea of a watermelon flavored wheat brew had me very interested but this attempt just doesn't work for me on almost every level. Not sure if it's the combination of flavors in this particular beer or the idea of watermelon and wheat in general but, I just can't handle it. I'm grateful for the experience but I'll avoid this one in the future. (1,551 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -43.4%

Can, shaken as instructed into a pilsner glass

Cloudy pale yellow hue, like a bud light batch gone wrong. At least it has a moderately attractive 2 finger crisp white head.

Smell really needs improvement, I've had thomas hooker's watermelon whatever and it had much more watermelon character in the nose and the taste. This has some light watermelon smells very similar to sniffing the white part of the rind. There are also some sweet corn and circus peanut notes in here as well.

Taste is pretty bland, it has some watermelon character in there at certain points throughout the progression but nothing too great

Mouthfeel is pretty lively with carbonation but super light and watery.

Overall I'm unimpressed and Thomas Hooker's would definitey be my choice given the option. (781 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -43.1%

Got this from a friend taking part in a beer of the month club.

Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

The appearance on this is very nice. Poures a very hazy, not at all tansparent golden yellow.
2 finger fluffy white head that receeds leaving a very thin oil on water like retention film.
Lace is thin and spotty.

Aroma on this at first was nice and grainy with a carmel like smell, shifting to a fruity sour cherry aroma. As it warmed the aroma turned south to a smelly rotten flesh, or rotting cheese. I'm almost afraid to try it.

Flavors are odd, in a bad way. I get some mild sweetness up front with the watermelon flavor.
Mouthfeel is thin, its like drinking Miller Lite with a rotten flavor and terrible aftertaste.

DO NOT WANT. (741 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -42.8%

A: Unfiltered, golden yellow color. Absolutely no head. Looks like a ton of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: A little bit of soft sour citrus notes, with a touch of watermelon rind. Fresh baked bread aroma also.

T: Tastes kind of like I just bit into the rind of the watermelon. I don’t taste much actual watermelon juice. Its both bitter and sweet, but not in a good way. Finishes pretty clean, and doesn’t leave much flavor to linger.

M: Pretty light/thin feeling beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Not a very good beer. It’s a weird flavor that I didn’t expect and really doesn’t deliver the promised watermelon taste. I find it extremely strange that this beer is one of the best sellers at Winking Lizard. I won’t be buying this beer and will stick to other offerings from 21st Amendment. (812 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I bought this for kicks and giggles. It was $1.50 for a single can so I figured, why not?

It looks pretty good, it smells decent, but that's about where it ends for me. The watermelon taste is subtle, however the other flavors balancing it out just don't work for me. It goes from a subtle sweetness to an almost pale ale bitterness in just one sip. It's impossible for me to really pinpoint all the flavors going on here but I don't like any of them.

This is certainly an interesting concept. I happen to love watermelon, but I feel this beer didn't do the flavors any justice. (581 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -41.9%

-Pours to a light yellow color slightly darker than a lite beer.
-The smell is all watermelon. A hint of wheat or a bready smell but way too much watermelon.
-I am sad to say the taste is bad. Its more than slightly tart with a poor watermelon flavor. Leaves a bad aftertaste.
- Way too light on the carbonation, like a flat lite beer, causing the bitterness to really stand out.
- This beer was one of the firstbeers that I just could not finish. I likened itto drinkingbaby vomit. At no point in life did anyone ata BBQ say, "Hey, I'm eating watermelon, I'm drinking beer, boy would they go good together." Beer and watermelon, two great tastes that DO NOT go great together. (677 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -41.9%

A: Pale straw color with absolutely no head. I tried swirling to see what would happen and nothing did.

S: Watermelon. Fake artificial watermelon. No wheat, just watermelon.

T: Watermelon and very light wheat. The problem I have with it tasting only like watermelon is watermelon is a very light flavor because, well, it is mostly water. combined with almost no wheat flavor, this just tastes watered down. It is like Coors added watermelon to their recipe.

M: Light, crisp. Nice mouthfeel if you want something crisp around summertime.

O: will not be drinking again. I like 21st Amendment but this is just not very good. (625 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -41.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass in high altitude Libby, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Half a finger white head with little retention and no lacing. Pale straw color with high clarity.

S- Light wheat and malts smells. Some earthy funk, subtle. Straw, malt and sugar. Do not smell watermelon.

T- Watermelon much more present in the taste, along with wheat, earthy yeast sort of flavors and tartness. Kind of rancid tasting, actually.

M- Light, sugary and wet feel. Clean finish.

O- I'm really disappointed. I'm going to chalk this one up to not travelling well and hopefully try it again someday. It cost me less than two bucks, so I'm not disappointed with the price fallout. (682 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -41%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a straw yellow with minimal head, no lacing. Smells very earthy, almost like a spinach or collard greens!?; a little bit of watermelon comes through.

Taste- Wow, dissapointed, it taste's like spinach. I don't know if this is an old can or what but I feel like popeye should be drinking this; mouthfeel is average. Drinkability is low because I'm assuming that this is supposed to be a refreshing beer. I don't think I can finish this. Maybe it's an old can but I only bought it about a month ago. (504 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -39.8%

A- Looks nice, a thick-looking wheat, but a suspiciously thin head portends disappointment.

S- I like the smell, and I give props to them for trying something unusual. Deceptively promising.

T- I could analyze this to the wall, but there's only one word that sums it up: WEEEAAAKKKK.

M- Fizzy and insubstantial.

There's just nothing standing behind this. A fruit beer has to be a good beer without the fruit. Nico and Shaun ought to pour an Abita Purple Haze and take notes.

(482 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -39.4%

Pale gold with almost no head, no lace, dead looking. Watermelon, fruit, and some faint wheat on the nose. Taste is mostly watermelon with a distinct wheat base. Fruity aftertaste. Very light, watery mouth. Overall this was a clunker. Glad I only have a 6 pack from a variety case. Those will tough to get rid of. (313 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -37.9%

Chilled can into a glass.

I was hot as hell when I had this, so I thought it would be a perfect beer for the circumstances.

A: Pours a clear straw color with a slight orange shade to it. The vigorous pour yields a decent head, but retention is a few seconds at best, receding into a collar and leaving no lacing down the glass.

S: Mostly an earthy yeast and wheat smell with the unmistakable tinge of Taco Bell bean burritos. I'm not making this up. A little lemony citrus to it. No watermelon.

T: Mostly a yeast and wheat combination, with a slightly tart watermelon finish. There's still that Taco Bell bean burrito flavor in here. WTF!?! My palate is totally clean too.

M: Light-bodied. Carbonation is moderate. Flavor is a bit watery.

D: I do enjoy Taco Bell (shoot me), but I didn't enjoy this beer. It's not something I'd have again unless someone made me drink it. (883 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -37%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me. (542 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -37%

Pours a hazy golden color, with a couple fingers of head. The smell is funky, but not in a good, Belgian sort of way. Instead its a strange, unpleasant smell, somewhat wheat like, but not entirely. The first taste is bitter, although not strongly so. After another sip or two, I start to notice the watermelon flavor, but I'm not enjoying it. I tried to finish this, but it became a drain pour instead. Perhaps its just the watermelon, but this beer simply does not work for me, even though I love wheat beers and fruit beers. (526 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -36.7%

Looks very nice. Good lacing and pours bubbly. The smell and taste are overwhelmingly "fake" watermelon, less like the melon and more like a jolly rancher. Going down it comes off way too sweet and does not leave a nice aftertaste.

I would not get this again. (261 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -36.4%

Got this on a recommendation of a friend and decided to pick some up try it and drop a review on it... Pours a hazy, golden color head is thin, white, bubbly and gone very quickly... Smell is of a standard beer variety with a slight sweetness. Would not pick out watermelon here if it wasn't on the can... Taste is not very pleasant slightly sour but not much there really... Again in searching for the watermelon flavor I liken it to a watermelon that just never got sweet... Guess that can be expected from a fruit that can either be really great or really uneventful... Was kinda surprised because previous reviews had mentioned an artificial flavor of watermelon and I just don't taste it... Might actually make it more enjoyable. Canned in 4/12 for not very old either only like 3 weeks. Can't say I'll be going back for this one. (835 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -36.1%

A 12 ounce can into a snifter...

The pour is a translucent hay color with about a half inch of bubbly, white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. The smell is perhaps the most off-putting part for me; for some reason, I can't detect anything past a terrible, strong, curdled milk scent. I can't even find the damn watermelon in the nose. I brace for the taste… ah, found the watermelon! There is a dominating, yet artificial watermelon flavor reminiscent of a jolly rancher or some other sugary candy. An odd milk like flavor sits between the melon and a faint wheat base. The mouthfeel is light, and a bit lively from the carbonation. Nothing spectacular, as it is a bit thin. I will be avoiding this in the future. (738 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery