Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,326 | Reviews: 731
1.89/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I bought this for kicks and giggles. It was $1.50 for a single can so I figured, why not?

It looks pretty good, it smells decent, but that's about where it ends for me. The watermelon taste is subtle, however the other flavors balancing it out just don't work for me. It goes from a subtle sweetness to an almost pale ale bitterness in just one sip. It's impossible for me to really pinpoint all the flavors going on here but I don't like any of them.

This is certainly an interesting concept. I happen to love watermelon, but I feel this beer didn't do the flavors any justice.

1.9/5  rDev -42.8%

-Pours to a light yellow color slightly darker than a lite beer.
-The smell is all watermelon. A hint of wheat or a bready smell but way too much watermelon.
-I am sad to say the taste is bad. Its more than slightly tart with a poor watermelon flavor. Leaves a bad aftertaste.
- Way too light on the carbonation, like a flat lite beer, causing the bitterness to really stand out.
- This beer was one of the firstbeers that I just could not finish. I likened itto drinkingbaby vomit. At no point in life did anyone ata BBQ say, "Hey, I'm eating watermelon, I'm drinking beer, boy would they go good together." Beer and watermelon, two great tastes that DO NOT go great together.

1.9/5  rDev -42.8%

A: Pale straw color with absolutely no head. I tried swirling to see what would happen and nothing did.

S: Watermelon. Fake artificial watermelon. No wheat, just watermelon.

T: Watermelon and very light wheat. The problem I have with it tasting only like watermelon is watermelon is a very light flavor because, well, it is mostly water. combined with almost no wheat flavor, this just tastes watered down. It is like Coors added watermelon to their recipe.

M: Light, crisp. Nice mouthfeel if you want something crisp around summertime.

O: will not be drinking again. I like 21st Amendment but this is just not very good.

1.9/5  rDev -42.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass in high altitude Libby, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Half a finger white head with little retention and no lacing. Pale straw color with high clarity.

S- Light wheat and malts smells. Some earthy funk, subtle. Straw, malt and sugar. Do not smell watermelon.

T- Watermelon much more present in the taste, along with wheat, earthy yeast sort of flavors and tartness. Kind of rancid tasting, actually.

M- Light, sugary and wet feel. Clean finish.

O- I'm really disappointed. I'm going to chalk this one up to not travelling well and hopefully try it again someday. It cost me less than two bucks, so I'm not disappointed with the price fallout.

1.92/5  rDev -42.2%

Just a hint of watermelon in the finish. Other then that it's no different then a coors light

1.93/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a straw yellow with minimal head, no lacing. Smells very earthy, almost like a spinach or collard greens!?; a little bit of watermelon comes through.

Taste- Wow, dissapointed, it taste's like spinach. I don't know if this is an old can or what but I feel like popeye should be drinking this; mouthfeel is average. Drinkability is low because I'm assuming that this is supposed to be a refreshing beer. I don't think I can finish this. Maybe it's an old can but I only bought it about a month ago.

1.97/5  rDev -40.7%

A- Looks nice, a thick-looking wheat, but a suspiciously thin head portends disappointment.

S- I like the smell, and I give props to them for trying something unusual. Deceptively promising.

T- I could analyze this to the wall, but there's only one word that sums it up: WEEEAAAKKKK.

M- Fizzy and insubstantial.

There's just nothing standing behind this. A fruit beer has to be a good beer without the fruit. Nico and Shaun ought to pour an Abita Purple Haze and take notes.

1.98/5  rDev -40.4%

Pale gold with almost no head, no lace, dead looking. Watermelon, fruit, and some faint wheat on the nose. Taste is mostly watermelon with a distinct wheat base. Fruity aftertaste. Very light, watery mouth. Overall this was a clunker. Glad I only have a 6 pack from a variety case. Those will tough to get rid of.

Ugh. Had high hopes for this after Founder's Waltermelon but it was no bueno. Had to choke it down.

Not very good. The watermelon taste is artificial.

2.03/5  rDev -38.9%

Chilled can into a glass.

I was hot as hell when I had this, so I thought it would be a perfect beer for the circumstances.

A: Pours a clear straw color with a slight orange shade to it. The vigorous pour yields a decent head, but retention is a few seconds at best, receding into a collar and leaving no lacing down the glass.

S: Mostly an earthy yeast and wheat smell with the unmistakable tinge of Taco Bell bean burritos. I'm not making this up. A little lemony citrus to it. No watermelon.

T: Mostly a yeast and wheat combination, with a slightly tart watermelon finish. There's still that Taco Bell bean burrito flavor in here. WTF!?! My palate is totally clean too.

M: Light-bodied. Carbonation is moderate. Flavor is a bit watery.

D: I do enjoy Taco Bell (shoot me), but I didn't enjoy this beer. It's not something I'd have again unless someone made me drink it.

2.06/5  rDev -38%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me.

2.06/5  rDev -38%

Pours a hazy golden color, with a couple fingers of head. The smell is funky, but not in a good, Belgian sort of way. Instead its a strange, unpleasant smell, somewhat wheat like, but not entirely. The first taste is bitter, although not strongly so. After another sip or two, I start to notice the watermelon flavor, but I'm not enjoying it. I tried to finish this, but it became a drain pour instead. Perhaps its just the watermelon, but this beer simply does not work for me, even though I love wheat beers and fruit beers.

2.07/5  rDev -37.7%

Looks very nice. Good lacing and pours bubbly. The smell and taste are overwhelmingly "fake" watermelon, less like the melon and more like a jolly rancher. Going down it comes off way too sweet and does not leave a nice aftertaste.

I would not get this again.

2.08/5  rDev -37.3%

Got this on a recommendation of a friend and decided to pick some up try it and drop a review on it... Pours a hazy, golden color head is thin, white, bubbly and gone very quickly... Smell is of a standard beer variety with a slight sweetness. Would not pick out watermelon here if it wasn't on the can... Taste is not very pleasant slightly sour but not much there really... Again in searching for the watermelon flavor I liken it to a watermelon that just never got sweet... Guess that can be expected from a fruit that can either be really great or really uneventful... Was kinda surprised because previous reviews had mentioned an artificial flavor of watermelon and I just don't taste it... Might actually make it more enjoyable. Canned in 4/12 for not very old either only like 3 weeks. Can't say I'll be going back for this one.

2.09/5  rDev -37%

A 12 ounce can into a snifter...

The pour is a translucent hay color with about a half inch of bubbly, white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. The smell is perhaps the most off-putting part for me; for some reason, I can't detect anything past a terrible, strong, curdled milk scent. I can't even find the damn watermelon in the nose. I brace for the taste… ah, found the watermelon! There is a dominating, yet artificial watermelon flavor reminiscent of a jolly rancher or some other sugary candy. An odd milk like flavor sits between the melon and a faint wheat base. The mouthfeel is light, and a bit lively from the carbonation. Nothing spectacular, as it is a bit thin. I will be avoiding this in the future.

2.1/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

horrible.. one of the worst ever

2.11/5  rDev -36.4%

Watermelon Wheat in a can? Lets give it a try.
It's slighty hazy and amber, with no head to speak of. The nose is bitter watermelon and not much else. Taste is lots of watermelon, but it's not sweet at all. It's like watermelon vines. Very acrid and metallic. Mouthfeel is ok I suppose, it's a bit watery. The drinkability suffers from the non-sweet punch of watermelon flavor.

2.14/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had been wanting to try this for a while...finally did...glad I did...probably won't be having another.

A-Pale yellow...clearer than I would have expected...light head that faded fast

S-Probably the best part of the beer...strong and pleasant smell of watermelon...smells of summer...picked up some wheat as well

T-I wanted to like the taste...but couldn't....watermelon all over the place...slight wheat...SLIGHT....the watermelon was too prevalent and even then...tasted watered down. Not pleasant.

M-medium carbonation

D-As I said above...I am glad I tried it...b/c I had wanted to for a while...I didn't finish the can I had...left about 1/4 in the glass. I generally am a fan of 21st amendment...but this one just didn't work...though I respect the effort in trying to brew a different beer.

2.18/5  rDev -34.3%

A: Pours a cloudy, straw-yellow body with a small fizzy head that doesn't last;. some visible carboantion.

S: A very thin nose of wheat and watermelon. Nothing amazing.

T: The flavors I don't think mesh well, perhaps because they're so watered down. Some wheat notes and a hint of watermelon. Reminds me of a bad "bitch" beer.

M: Light body; carbonation feels forced or fake like club soda; watery texture.

O: I didn't enjoy this beer. I don't see myself getting this again anytime soon nor recommending this to other. I usually enjoy their beers, but this one is a miss.

2.21/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Can: Poured a light yellow color ale with a small pure white foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of watermelon and light wheat malt is weird and not really enticing. Taste is a mix between some watermelons which is more dominant then expected with some light wheat malt. Body is thin with light carbonation. Boring thin wheat with light watermelon flavours.

2.21/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured from 12oz can into DFH pint glass. No canning date is present on the packaging. It is a seasonal release, so I am assuming it isn't that old. **Preface: Not my favorite style. Purchased for wife who likes wheats.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color. Pretty much no head at all. Carbonation is not great. Some lacing.

S: Mostly yeasty. Strange smells. When I really got in there I got some fruit (melon) smells but not as overpowering as I was expecting.

T: The flavor of this is strange. Really different. I get the watermelon but it's just kind of off putting actually. I really didn't like this at all and almost drain-poured the last 1/4 of it.

M: Very watery (thank god actually). Nothing that lingers with you.

O: I like 21st Amendment and most of their offerings, just not into this one. I bought a 6-pack and THANK GOD the wife likes it....she'll be drinking the rest of it alone!

2.22/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can.

Ultimately, somewhat depressing. I had one of these last weekend and knew I didn't like it then, but decided to hold off until I had a second one at a later date. Does not smell particularly appetizing.

While there are certainly some mild watermelon notes in there that become even more prominent in aftertaste, there's also a not-entirely-horrible-but-not-altogether-pleasant-either mild tartness and tang and wheaty goodness, and some hint of cucumber. Starts to taste better once it's been out of the fridge a few minutes, but the smell still kills it a bit.

Ultimately when I think about it, I've never had a watermelon wheat before, but this is is probably _exactly what a watermelon wheat beer should taste like_. But when there's so many other outstanding beers out there, this is really a novelty.

It's gonna be tough to polish off the other 4 cans left in my fridge.

2.24/5  rDev -32.5%

Served in a can from Brick Store Pub, Atlanta, GA

A: Pale orange with no head. Seemed to look like a flat watermelon soda than a beer.

S: Hardly watermelon or even beer. If something can smell sour, this did.

T: Like watermelon juice and carbonated water. No malts or hops.

M: Dry and uninteresting. The watermelon taste had to grow on me. Maybe there was some wheat flavor but once this was in my mouth, I didn't care to think about favors anymore, just to get rid of it as soon as possible.

D: I'm wondering if this was on the shelf too long or something because I had abad experience with this brew. I would have assumed this to be a lot lower rated on here than it is. I would not find this drinkable in a beer situation at all.

2.24/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark gold with a thin white head that fizzes away quickly. No lacing at all. Aroma is an explosion of diacetyl. Huge butter note with a wisp of watermelon. Almost intolerable. Flavor is better in that the watermelon and wheat flavors come through, but there's still a lot of that gross mealy butterscotch. Mouthfeel is a little sticky for what ought to be a refreshing summer beer. Drinkability is not good because of how easy it is to get sick of this diacetyl bomb. This beer needs a reformulation.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery