Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
1.35/5  rDev -59%

Intriguing- this is my first beer with watermelon.

A: pours a hazy orange with minimal white head. A touch of laacing.

S: funky herbal notes up front...very off putting. Notes of stale wheat and a hint of Jolly Rancher watermelon (read artificial) at the end which does not fit with the rest of the profile. This smells like a mess.

T: up front is that weird herbal tea like character that I picked up on the nose. Again, very off putting. A little bit of watermelon comes in on the middle but it is lost in the disgusting malt character. Not a fan.

MF: Medium carbonation, light body

D: Yuck! Will never have this one again. Nothing about this beer works for me. I was turned off by the smell and the taste provided exactly what the smell promised: an undrinkable beer. Avoid this one.

1.43/5  rDev -56.5%

Ah, with Memorial Day passing, we can officially say summer is here. And, nothing makes a warm summer day more pleasant than relaxing with a cold beer. And, few beers are more refreshing in that moment than a good wheat beer. Not too heavy - not too light ... maybe with a touch of spice, grass, or lemon or other fruit. So, why not watermelon? What is a more quintessential fruit of summer than watermelon? Which brings me to Hell or High Watermelon Wheat beer from 21st Amendment.

You know when you are done eating a piece of watermelon, and all the juicy flesh is gone, and you get down to that white part near the rind? Yet, you keep taking a bite or two more. And, you get this sour bitterness that tastes pretty much like nothing except sour bitter water with a hint of watermelon?

Yeah, that's what this beer tastes like.

I drank two cans from the 6-pack I bought from the cooler. Both the same. The next four likely will go down the drain.

Don't know if this was a bad batch or what. But, given some other reviews, maybe not.

Normally, I like most beers from 21st Amendment. But, this one was a disappointment.

1.43/5  rDev -56.5%

I was really excited to find an adventurous beer in a can in the liquor store. Turns out it was TOO adventurous. I ended up having to draw straws every round of beers and give it to the loser just to get rid of it.

This beer tasted watered down and that may have been the best part of it. I don't mean to be cruel but so far on this site it had a B-. Someone must have been grading on a curve

1.45/5  rDev -55.9%

Not only is this a terrible wheat beer, it is a bad beer with artificial tasting watermelon flavor in it. I never pour out a beer if I can choke it down. This one got dumped after one painful gulp! Usually I can find something positive in most beers but I am drawing a blank with this one.

1.48/5  rDev -55%

Bought a single can to give it a try. I want to like 21st Amendment...

A - Very pale cloudy yellow. No head, little lacing.

S - Smells like slightly rotting organic matter. Maybe the insides of a pumpkin. Maybe the watermelon rinds after two weeks in the hot sun. It certainly has a strong smell, but it's the least appealing smell I've ever found in a beer. Near gag reflex. I can't stress this enough. This smells awful. I never drain pour a beer. I'm close on this one, and I've never tasted it!

T & M - See above. Imagine that ambiguous rotting organic matter is now soaked in Miller Lite, and then rung out into a can. For good measure, I imagine this can was probably left in the sun another couple of hours. The only positive is my breath is now watermelony fresh. That's the first I really noticed the watermelon, and I hope it never finds its way into a beer again.

D - You'll have to ask my drain on this one. I have no intentions of finishing this.

This is the worst beer I've had in a VERY long time...

1.48/5  rDev -55%

Cans served at Dirty Franks in Columbus. Morbid curiosity brought me to try this one.

Those of you who read my reviews might notice I dont have very much mean to say about any beers, if I review a macro its because it meant something to me in the past. Well this review might be a change of pace.

A- Oh man this might be one of the least appetizing beers Ive ever seen. Its worse than most macros. I poured this myself into a pint glass and still I get really no head, no lacing, no effervescence, no signs of life what so ever. The color is a strangely hazy (not fully or not partially hazy either, just sort of grimy) yellow.

S- Wheaty and yeasty. Its trying to have smells of a good hefe... There is some banana and clove. The rich banana bread smells of a good wheat beer are not there. There really isnt any watermelon in the smell.

T- Aluminum is what I got first. I mean I heard of many macros tasting like the can they came out of but this one is the first where I actually notice that taste. Once you get past the galvanized taste the beer starts out straight wheaty and yeasty. It then promptly breaks into an artificial, candy like watermelon taste. Its just like watermelon Jolly Ranchers. The finish is yet more wheat and some spice.

D- I didnt even finish my glass. The alcohol is low, this is a sweet beer. People who arent used to stronger, more flavorful beers might like this. Personally I think its a waste.

Pour Can into Pint Glass

A: Hazy and orange in color, big 2 finger soapy head that dissipates to a nice ring of foam. Little lacing but not much. Looks like a nice wheat.

S: Watermelon rind... Green watermelon rind. It is had to get past it.... the next thing I'm getting it is some sweet malt and a little wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent

T: Wow the watermelon rind is here as well.... and strong. There is also a mild sweetness and a slight hint of citrus.

M: Mid to light bodied with good carbonation. A little more filling than most wheat beers I've had.

D: The taste killed it for more so not very drinkable for me....

Maybe I'm missing something but what I was getting was not enjoyable to me...

I will not let this hold me back from trying another 21st Amendment Brew.

1.52/5  rDev -53.8%