1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,472 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Can: Poured a light yellow color ale with a small pure white foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of watermelon and light wheat malt is weird and not really enticing. Taste is a mix between some watermelons which is more dominant then expected with some light wheat malt. Body is thin with light carbonation. Boring thin wheat with light watermelon flavours.

02-04-2013 01:50:07 | More by Phyl21ca
torchednoodle

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can.

Ultimately, somewhat depressing. I had one of these last weekend and knew I didn't like it then, but decided to hold off until I had a second one at a later date. Does not smell particularly appetizing.

While there are certainly some mild watermelon notes in there that become even more prominent in aftertaste, there's also a not-entirely-horrible-but-not-altogether-pleasant-either mild tartness and tang and wheaty goodness, and some hint of cucumber. Starts to taste better once it's been out of the fridge a few minutes, but the smell still kills it a bit.

Ultimately when I think about it, I've never had a watermelon wheat before, but this is is probably _exactly what a watermelon wheat beer should taste like_. But when there's so many other outstanding beers out there, this is really a novelty.

It's gonna be tough to polish off the other 4 cans left in my fridge.

08-31-2008 19:44:49 | More by torchednoodle
hwwty4

Missouri

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk for this one.

Poured a 12oz can into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a hazy straw with a 1 finger head that disappeared within seconds and left no lacing at all. The aroma reminds me of a whole grain bagel with some sort of berry cream cheese. Good for breakfast not for beer. The taste is just flat out strange. The flavor is very grainy. It really reminds me of a Everything Bagel form Einstein Bagels mixed with a glass of water that had a Watermelon Jolly Rancher dropped in. Good for Zima, not some much for beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. I'm sorry, but I think I would choose a glass of water over another one of these brews.

10-21-2008 04:31:16 | More by hwwty4
ZeroSignal

Poured from the can

A - Slightly hazy yellow with an inch or so of pretty vigorous head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass. No lacing, carbonation not very visible.

S - All around pretty light in the nose; I pick up some sugary sweetness and some yeasty aroma and that's about it.

T&M - Very sweet and sugary; there is certainly watermelon flavors, but unfortunately it tastes like artificial watermelon to me; it reminds me of a watermelon flavored gum I used to buy as a kid. Carbonation is very light. The mouthfeel is soft and fluffy, but there is something going on here that coats my mouth and is not pleasant.

D - I suppose I see a market for this, but this isn't for me. The watermelon is artificial tasting, and I find the sweetness slightly cloying. I'm not even going to finish what I poured; the wife is going to have to take one for the team.

06-27-2010 01:54:00 | More by ZeroSignal
engagechad

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

Purchased as a single from Whole Foods in Shortpump - Glen Allen, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a yellowy straw color, decent head.. but mostly unattractive. Smells kind of pissy in a way and there is a faint scent of watermelon seeds.. not so much watermelon but like when you accidentally chew on a seed. Tastes kind of pissy and watery in a way. Again the watermelon flavor is just not there at all other than a faint after though of a seed. Feels okay as far as body goes but the pissy watermelon seed garbage is kind of in the way.

Overall I would advise against this beer. I would love to try some of this brewery's other offerings as I have heard some good things. Hopefully this wont affect my perception of their other brews.

05-10-2011 14:06:13 | More by engagechad
xnicknj

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

12 oz can poured into pint glass. thanks to mrmiles for this during the nice cans II BIF

Pours a clear pale yellow with a thin head which quickly fizzles out. No retention or lacing.

Very unusual nose with some fruity wheat and almost an earthy vegetable smell. Kind of like a garden salad maybe?

Light wheat and barley up front, which quickly crashes into an odd avalanche of watermelon and other fruit/vegetable flavors. There's a definite sweetness, but I kept feeling like I was almost drinking some sort of salad. Finishes crisp with a bit of lingering juicy watermelon flavor.

Light body, some lingering dryness on the tongue. I guess this would be smooth drinking, but the taste is pretty confusing and unattractive for me.

10-22-2010 02:22:58 | More by xnicknj
morimech

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

Pale straw color that has the slightest haze. One finger of head that settles to a thin film. Some spotty lacing is left behind on the glass.

Sort of a bizare aroma and flavor. Does not smell specific like watermelon, but sort of a decomposing rind, vegatable aroma. Some sort of spice is lingering in there but I cannot specifically identify it.

Not a fan of the flavor either. Certainly unique. Watermelon rind, lemon, and pale wheat malt.

Solid, light body of a wheat ale. Well matched carbonation.

Not a fan of this beer. A weird aroma and flavor for sure. Finding it hard to finish.

04-22-2012 17:32:09 | More by morimech
illidurit

2.3/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark gold with a thin white head that fizzes away quickly. No lacing at all. Aroma is an explosion of diacetyl. Huge butter note with a wisp of watermelon. Almost intolerable. Flavor is better in that the watermelon and wheat flavors come through, but there's still a lot of that gross mealy butterscotch. Mouthfeel is a little sticky for what ought to be a refreshing summer beer. Drinkability is not good because of how easy it is to get sick of this diacetyl bomb. This beer needs a reformulation.

11-08-2008 08:33:28 | More by illidurit
goschool

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Appearance: The pour is hazy gold with a large foamy white head that soon settles down as a thin layer with a smidgen of lacing.

Smell: The nose has pungent watermelon that straddles the line between fresh and fake/sugarfied in front of wheat aromas.

Taste: Good news: The watermelon is still on the right side of fresh/artificial Mendoza Line in the flavor profile. There's just a hint of Jolly Rancher. It doesn't seem like it would be an offensive flavor at all if it were by itself. Same goes for the wheat beer component. It's tastes like a nice, fundamentally sound, refreshing wheat beer. Bad news: The combination of the watermelon and wheat is nearly disgusting.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied without feeling watery with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I put a bottle of Irony Pinot Noir back once I saw the six pack of Watermelon Wheat. Now I have 5 cans to serve to friends or suffer through. I wonder how the pinot tastes...

08-21-2008 06:54:42 | More by goschool
montecristo2

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured into a wheat beer glass.

Pours a golden color. Decent two fingered head.

Very clear, not like traditional wheat beers- must be filtered.

I personally did not like the taste. I agree with another review that it had an artificial watermelon taste, but at the same time, I could see how some might like the flavor. It could be refreshing, but it just did not suit my palate for wheat beers.

Give it a try if you're looking for a fruit beer that is not overwhelmingly fruity.

07-19-2009 16:54:03 | More by montecristo2
sitarist

2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a light, cloudy, golden yellow(looks like pineapple juice). Small white head fades quickly, no lacing.

Smells of biscuits and watermelon.

Taste like someone put a watermelon jolly rancher in a glass of lite beer.

Feels like soda water in the mouth.

The drinkability is zero for me. I haven't poured a beer in awhile but this one is going down the drain.

03-10-2010 01:27:27 | More by sitarist
Knapp85

2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

This is the first Watermelon beer I've ever had. The color was hazy and yellow the aroma was sweet and had the natural aroma of the watermelon. The flavor was a little of te light side. It wasn't that bad but I think that if a watermelon wedge was added to this while drinking that it would amp this brew up and make it a lot better.

03-27-2011 20:33:31 | More by Knapp85
jera1350

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

Cloudy pale yellow with a clean and foamy white head. The head disappears quickly and leaves no lacing.

Wheaty with a semi-rotten vegetable smell. Like a bowl of overripe garden veggies that have been sitting together for a week. Kind of scared to try it.

Not real good. Getting the watermelon which comes in the form of a watermelon jolly rancher. The wheat is there too and the combination is very vegetable like again. It really tastes like a cheaply made wheat beer with a watermelon jolly rancher dropped in it. This blend is not working.

Kind of flat and underwhelming.

I'm probably going to have to drain pour the rest of this. Kudos to these guys for trying something unique, but it just simply doesn't come out very well. It's worth trying to see what it's like, but do what I did, only buy a single.

09-05-2010 21:37:38 | More by jera1350
billab914

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. It poured a pale golden color with a thin head that disappeared pretty quickly.

The watermelon is immediately noticeable in it along with some citrus and wheat malts. I also unfortunately get an unpleasant metallic flavor to it.

The taste also shows a lot of the watermelon flavor along with some rind and vegetable like qualities. A little wheat and citrus are there but the watermelon is overwhelming and just not that good.

The mouthfeel is thin with moderate carbonation. Overall, I just didn't care for it. The watermelon was too dominating and just not that great. It seemed to have more of a bitter rind, vegetable like quality to it that I didn't care for. A little metallic as well. Not something I'd want to try again.

04-20-2012 17:37:58 | More by billab914
lukekruse1

2.4/5  rDev -25.9%

A watermelon beer? This would be a new style for me. The can says watermelon juice is added. Hmm.

A - Poured a light golden color. Looks like a typical wheat beer to me with a little foam on the head.

S - Definitely fruity with some wheat.

T - This just does not do it for me. The watermelon is overdone and leaves this not really tasting like beer. Perhaps part of the problem was drinking this beer on a cold winter night when it might hit the spot on a summer picnic. Maybe I would try it again in those circumstances.

M/D - A little sticky and light carbonation on the tongue. Sweet. I wouldn't really want more than one of these despite the low ABV.

12-31-2010 02:21:55 | More by lukekruse1
WaterCzar

2.4/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The appearance isn't bad - pale cloudy straw color, 2 fingers of lacing which dies pretty quickly; But I am getting about as much taste as a Miller Lite, maybe with a slight watermelon fruit essence and slight melon odor. Highly carbonated. Was worth one try to satisfy my curiosity, but will never get again.

09-01-2013 19:04:29 | More by WaterCzar
OWSLEY069

2.42/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a clean yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, faint wheat note and a small fruitiness. In the taste, well, it tastes like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. A small dry, smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry watermelon Jolly Rancher aftertaste. It kind of reminds me of a average wheat beer and dropping a couple watermelon Jolly Ranchers in there, and then drinking it.

08-27-2010 18:05:14 | More by OWSLEY069
OrangeAmps

2.42/5  rDev -25.3%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me.

05-05-2011 04:15:35 | More by OrangeAmps
alysmith4

District of Columbia

2.45/5  rDev -24.4%

Interesting beer. I can't say I'd ever think of combining watermelon with beer (nor do I really enjoy fruity beers), but I was looking forward to trying this one when some friends brought it over. It had a decent aroma.. definitely wheat with juicy watermelon undertones. The taste was like a hefe that had a dissolved watermelon jolly rancher in it! Kind of odd, but drinkable none-the-less. I can't say I'd look forward to having this beer again, but I woudn't turn it down if it were offered to me either.

12-28-2009 19:56:15 | More by alysmith4
Godot

2.48/5  rDev -23.5%

We just had 21st amendment brewery become available here in Georgia; I really liked their IPA and figured I would give this one a try it being summer. Pours a watery yellow with very little yeast though the can was agitated per instructions. White head disappears almost immediately. Smell is rather sour and has hints of not so fresh vegetable matter. Taste is pretty much the same. I hope this is a bad batch because this, to me, is undrinkable.

07-17-2010 20:16:45 | More by Godot
IdrinkGas

2.48/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a can into a snifter. Gentle pour led to about 2 fingers of a thin white head that quickly disappeared. Smells like canned corn. Tasted like canned corn with a slight jolly rancher watermelon finish. The longer it sat the more it smelled and tasted like watermelon but I ended up drain pouring half of this mess.
This beer was gross.

07-24-2010 04:48:43 | More by IdrinkGas
smakawhat

Maryland

2.49/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from the can into a wheat ale glass.

A real nice decent looker on the pour. Big perfectly pinhead forming head, bleach white, four fingers tall with soapy retention and falling slowly. Body color is a very pale yellow and orb glowing with a classic opaque unfiltered appearance. Nice simple rising carbonation, very solid looking brew.

Faint wet watermellon on the nose, but some off smelling character to match. Not much wheat malt sense or chewyness. Off smelling character is semi vegetative but more of a bitter bile sense which isn't very pleasant.

Palate is very thin. Watery body, with hardly any wheat malt density. Crazy and weird odd finish, with some malt sweetness but a real off pleasant rind fruit bitterness to match. Wet body has some watermellon taste and sweetness, but is quickly overshadowed by a lackluster mouthfeel. The aftertaste leave and unbelievably bitter melon quality which just doesn't go away.

Overall not really diggin this, just all around a not pleasant experience.

07-27-2013 16:58:01 | More by smakawhat
BDLbrewster

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a slightly hazy bright golden yellow with maple undertones. For some reason I expected a bright red brew....

The smell is fairly faint, what I pick up most is melon rind. This beer smells like something that you rarely get whiffs of, real watermelon. This smells like natural watermelon, not that fake jolly rancher type watermelon flavor we've been trained to associate with this big green melon. All that said, coupled with the wheaty alcohol notes the watermelon comes off strange.

The taste mirrors the smell very well. The base beer is pretty flavorless as far as I can tell. The watermelon is the star here, but that's about it. This beer is simply watermelon beer, subdued bitter flavors of chewing melon rind. You can make this at home by drinking any wheat beer from a watermelon.

Mouthfeel is light, airy and watery. Carbonation is on the low end and the finish is somewhat dry.

Overall, I am not a big fan here. Muted flavors make this beer come off a bit gimmicky. I'm sure there are tons of people that like this beer just fine, but I think that one is going to be plenty enough for me.

12-16-2009 23:28:03 | More by BDLbrewster
AleWatcher

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

Grabbed a can (for ticking purposes) while on a roadtrip to Minnesota...

Served in a tulip.

Smells and looks more like a Saison... A tart, lemony, hazy, orange-tinted yellow in color...

The smell is tart lemons and odd spices... Hard to pinpoint-- perhaps it's just spicy notes from the yeast and wheat.

The taste actually pulls off watermelon! Very very watermelon. A hint of watermelon bubbalicious gum... Quite interesting.

A small head fizzled quickly to nothingness and left no lacing.

As it warms, the smell becomes more of a fruit juice blend-- ruby red grapefruit/watermelon... Hmmmm.

The taste is better than the smell, but neither are great.

The body needs more carbonation. It comes off as too thick and oily.

Overall, this was a fun one to try, a fun one to tick, but not one I ever want again.

01-23-2011 04:27:33 | More by AleWatcher
wahhmaster

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Macado's Halloween 2009 shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy goldenrod color with a small, foamy white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of watermelon (obviously). The smell of watermelon masks much of whatever else might be there. There are some yeasty/wheaty hints but they are barely noticeable through the watermelon.

Taste: Kind of light on flavor. Starts off tasting like watermelon sparkling water. Finishes with hints of yeast and wheat (like your typical wheat beer) but that is effectively masked by a sickly sweet watermelon aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Watery and a little flat. Could do with more carbonation.

Drinkability: Meh...This is a pretty bland beer. It's light on flavor and what flavor there is is almost exclusively an artificial watermelon taste. On the plus side, it is exceedingly drinkable and pretty refreshing. Take it or leave it...

03-08-2010 20:20:19 | More by wahhmaster