2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,479 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

I, too, must thank Lou91 for this sample. I have been wanting to try this one.

Poured a pale straw color with a touch of cloudiness. Two finger, white head formed and then quickly disappeared. Some light lacing left behind.

Aroma is light. Average wheat beer smell, but with a hint of sweet watermelon. That little wiff of watermelon peaks my curiosity.

The taste follows the same path as the aroma. At first, it seems to be an average wheat beer, but then the watermelon creeps in. Nicely blended between the two. I was worried that it might be too sweet, but it is not. Watermelon aftertaste reminds you that it is a different kind of wheat beer.

Nice, light mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. This would have been an interesting beer to bring to a cookout. I think most people would enjoy it.

10-02-2006 13:38:19 | More by Imstillthegman
Halcyondays

12 oz. can,

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a medium white head, good retention, no lacing, looks a lot like a witibier.

S: Lots of watermelon, smells a little on the artificial side, but not to bad, it's a nice smell.

T: Big bite of watermelon and sour candy bite at first. Flavour turns wheatier and away from the fruit flavour to finish, dry cereal.

M: Definitely on the acidic side, about the same pH I'd reckon as orange juice, very crisp and refreshing, has a soda quality about it.

D: Not bad at all, a great summer beer, the idea of mixing watermelon with a wheat beer base certainly works here.

08-07-2008 02:55:28 | More by Halcyondays
wkcyr4

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Received in a package from Floydster. Thanks for the opportunity to try this one,Kyle.

Poured from the can into a Goose Island tasting glass, split with my wife.
Gave the can a few gentle swirls to agitate per instructions on the can.
Poured a cloudy, straw color with a nice one finger white head.
Crisp, clean almost dry scent, no real hint of watermelon or any fruit for that matter.
The first sip reveals the sweet taste of the watermelon.
Somewhat fruity in the middle with a light airyness to it, interesting.
Had a dry, almost champagne like finish to it.
I'm pretty sure my wife liked this beer more than I did but it has teased me enough to give it another try if given the chance.

Recommended on the novelty of a watermelon beer alone.

02-11-2009 02:01:04 | More by wkcyr4
nasty15108

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsener glass.

A - Poured a slightly cloudy yellow/orange color. The pour prodiced a head of white foam that quickly subsided into a ring of tiny bubbles.

S - Yeasty, sourdough aroma. Slight hints of citrus and watermelon.

T - Tough to describe. Slightly yeasty (but not as strong as the aroma would lead you to believe). Finishes off with slightly sour watermelon flavor. Very well done.

MF&D - Crisp and refreshing. A great Summer choice.

07-24-2009 18:51:55 | More by nasty15108
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Had this on-tap at the Rogue Public House in San Francisco. Pours a very hazy golden with a thin, white, swirly cap of a head. Smells vaguely sour with wheat and watermelon rind, a touch of lemon, and a tiny bit of sweetness. The taste is similar, with more white rind flavor than red juiciness, but as opposed to the aroma, there is at least some sweet, juicy watermelon here which adds something to the more sour and herbal rind and lemon flavors. Crisp, refreshing, and worth trying. A fairly interesting beer.

08-24-2009 01:58:32 | More by Georgiabeer
grittybrews

Washington

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured a pale straw gold into a pint glass with a finger of loose white head. Mild aroma of honey and wheat.

Moderate carbonation and a light, creamy mouthfeel. Plenty of watermelon up front with bread/wheat and a light grassy bitterness on the finish.

Very refreshing and easy drinking, although the watermelon borders on Jolly Rancher-esque artificial sweetness after a while.

08-04-2011 04:12:26 | More by grittybrews
indiapaleale

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Pour - well, its not pink. Its a tannish-golden color with some suspended (and not so suspended) yeast sediment. Head is a rather thin and this is all a bit cloudy.

Aroma - what I smell most is a sour malt aroma along with some sweetness that sort of reminds me of watermelon as well as honey and powdered sugar. So, not a lot of watermelon-y stuff going on in either the pour or the aroma. Let's move on...

Taste - when I really get my face in the glass and take the first sip I finally get some watermelon flavor and aroma. Its faint and it won't overwhelm you even if you hate watermelon. Its a slightly sour fruity flavor that isn't at all off-putting and it actually kind of works well, in a refreshing sort of way. Nice wheat beer with just enough watermelon flavor to give this a very subtle sour bit.

Overall - The more I drink of this, the more I am enjoying it. I'll admit, its a lot better than I thought. The watermelon flavor is subtle and like I previously mentioned, this is very refreshing. If you are like me and figure you'd probably not like this beer you might be surprised. Pop open a can and remember to be open-minded.

Would I buy more of it? - I wouldn't totally dismiss this beer as it is exactly what it is supposed to be. However, its not a beer that I'd find myself drinking a lot of the time. It does sort of scream to be bought the night before a day of yard work.

11-06-2011 13:47:40 | More by indiapaleale
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.89/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a light, slightly hazy golden amber with a one finger white head that dissipates slowly to a thin cap. Aroma of melon (smells a bit more like cantelope, actually) and light wheat. Flavor is sweet wheat, watermelon (distinct in the flavor) with hints of caramel as it finishes slightly dry with light grassy hops. Light bodied, as appropriate. A pleasant surprise, I was not expecting much from this combination, but the light watermelon add a delicate fruit sweetness to the wheat which worked quite well. I would definitely think about this for lawn mowing. This would have been too light for a witbier, but delivers exactly what it advertises as a watermelon wheat.

07-11-2013 02:56:46 | More by LiquidAmber
kmcnair

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Canned microbrew! The wave of the future! (I hope)

Aroma - definitive sweet watermelon, crisp wheat, clean - no diacetyl, no noticable hops.

Appearance - Hazy golden hue, long lasting white head.

Flavor - Malty, wheat backbone that is slightly tart, pronounced fresh watermelon accent that tastes like real watermelon. Slight hop bitterness, focus is definitely on the blend of fruits. Well attenuated as it has a dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean with moderate carbonation, slightly creamy texture and a bit of warmth, not astringent. Light-medium bodied.

Overall Impression - This is a really well executed fruit beer, the balance of the base beer is almost perfect. Some critiques... I think a bit more wheaty twang and a spicy phenolic would go really well with the fresh watermelon flavors. Its a really great, easy drinking beer that I would love to enjoy on a hot summer day.

Thanks to barleypop for the can!

12-07-2006 05:48:20 | More by kmcnair
harsley

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I recently tried for the first time not knowing what to expect but it was quite well done. Smells of faint wheat and watermelon, and pretty much tastes the same with some malt backbone to round it all out. Nothing it overpowering and it's all very well balanced. For a beer drinker, I liked it and it served it's purpose of quenching my thirst straight from the can on a 90 degree F humid day. Some others that tried it, which I would not call big beer drinkers, actually were hoping for more of the watermelon to shine through. For what they were going for here though I think they did a great job. Very drinkable on a hot day.

08-21-2009 19:35:19 | More by harsley
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

appearance: hazy yellow gold with not much head and non-existent lacing.
smell: Very faint watermelon. I would've missed it had I not been sniffing for it.
taste: There's the watermelon! Pretty tasty.
mouthfeel: pretty slight. Some carbonation.
drinkability: This is quite refreshing on a hot Ga. summer afternoon.
Not bad, but not a seek it out, must have.

08-01-2010 21:38:19 | More by cindyjeffsmith
KickbacksSteve

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

12 ounce can. Not decanted. Aroma very hard to describe. I suppose the smell is like sugarry watermelon juice? Kinda unpleasant. Taste is actually nice and interesting and not what I expected after struggling with the aroma. Sort of a nice flavor to add into a wheat beer. Not sure why I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I like this beer...but I do.

08-30-2010 22:46:34 | More by KickbacksSteve
Lucklys

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

With the initial pour, it appears rather thin, colored a clear pale honey-yellow. Thick wisps of a wheaty haze fall as it sits, eventually clouding the entire brew and darkening the color to a more uniform honey-gold – though the thickness remains 0n the thin side. The carbonation is quick and sparkling, erupting as it hits the glass and building a nice 3-finger thick head of thin, lacy foam that sticks around for quite a while afterwards, falling into a gossamer ring and sheer patches as I sip it. While the bubbles seem hardy enough, they refuse to stick to the side of the glass, leaving no trace it was ever there.

The aroma is very light, carrying hints of watermelon and fresh-cut rind, minimal hops, faint grainy notes and some wheat malt, but none are heavy enough to make a lasting impression until the beer is near room-temperature.

Hell or High Watermelon holds a light body, dry mouthfeel, and moderate semi-spicy carbonation. The clean, crisp authentic watermelon flavor is immediately present at the forefront, and fades into a lighter, sweet melon tang while touches of grainy wheat and malt follow through to the end. The profile of this beer overall is very light, but that doesn’t keep it from being the perfect thirst quencher, especially when it’s 115º outside. As much as I disagree with the current stereotypes of women and (fruit) beer, I think that this could be an awesome first step into the craft beer world for both men and women who are still trying to become interested and want to ease themselves in.

07-22-2011 00:15:02 | More by Lucklys
Ilafan

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Watermelon beer? What will they think of next? Very little head that lasted a very short time. I, personally, could not detect any discernible smell. However, the taste was exactly as advertised by the name. Resheshing, crisp watermelon dominates. I like its uniqueness. Hey, does drinking this count as a serving of fruit?!?

08-19-2012 22:50:48 | More by Ilafan
dubappsunshine

3.91/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Drank from the can, so no word on appearance. Light, tasty, smooth. Great choice for hot days. Watermelon flavor is reserved, but present and sweet. Ideal beer for backyards, rivers, and during the day.

Tried at Three Monkeys Bar & Grill and the Northside Grill, both in Richmond, Va

10-15-2013 17:34:30 | More by dubappsunshine
Soonami

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

To begin with, you should only try this beer if you like watermelon, otherwise you will probably hate it.

A- The beer poured a hazy tan with a hint of pink. There was a little bit of a fizzy heady, but it quickly dissipated.

S- The smell is of spicy wheat and fresh watermelon rind

T- The beer started off a little tart from the wheat, but as it finished, the flavor of the watermelon really came through as did the sweetness.

M- Light and a little too thin on the palate

D- The watermelon flavor sold me, but those who don't like watermelon as much would rate this much lower in drinkability. I think that I could have 2 or 3 of these and that would be enough.

Great for an end of summer BBQ while downing spicy ribs and smoked brisket. I could also imagine having this at the beach

09-08-2009 12:58:11 | More by Soonami
dananabanana

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Lots of fresh watermelon. Maybe a little wheat.

T: Fresh watermelon. It's good and sweet, but for the most part it's a one-note flavor. Some malt, and I'm not sure if there are hops or not. It's not a complex flavor, but it is very fun to drink.

M: Some bite in the back of the throat. Very bubby at first but calms down quickly.

D: Easy to drink. Refreshing. A great start for a summer barbecue or picnic.

11-16-2009 00:09:52 | More by dananabanana
popery

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

Can, home. I'm not a big fan of most fruit beers and had been putting off trying this particular beer for a long time, and I'm quite surprised to find that I like it. It's not the prettiest thing ever - hazy pale gold with a minimal head. The aroma is wheatier and maltier than expected. Though there's a fairly strong candy fruit flavor to it, but it's not cloying. The feel is a bit thick and viscous, particularly for the abv. The flavor is relatively dry. The watermelon flavor doesn't taste artificial. The base beer doesn't really live up to the watermelon flavor. I'm not really sure what would, though. It's a nice flavor but not very beery. Good beer for a hot day.

04-10-2010 07:54:49 | More by popery
lstokes

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

I actually drank this beer out of the can, so I have no idea what was going on with the appearance--I just love the feeling of drinking beer out of a can, what can I say?

This is an awesomely unique beer, with a strong watermelon smell and taste. I'm not sure the beer under it is the best wheat beer I've ever had---a bit grainy, lacking some of the complexity of a good wheat, and a thin mouthfeel, not rich enough--but the idea of mixing watermelon juice and a decent wheat beer is just a really good one, and this is a great, very drinkable summer beer.

09-05-2010 03:20:03 | More by lstokes
Chadbrew

Delaware

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

OK I'm pretty impressed with this. I really wanted to try it for the gimmick of a watermelon beer but I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing beer with alot of flavor. The appearance isn't anything to brag about and the aroma was a little like a capri-sun but the flavor was everything I thought it wouldn't be. Thankfully this is not a sweet beer. If it had been I think it would have ruined the beer by fullfilling my expectation of a watermelon extract/candy alcoholic schnaaps-like drink. Instead the fruit presence is definitely melon but was more cantaloupe than sugary. Highly drinkable... go get some!

06-29-2006 22:39:18 | More by Chadbrew
mitchfor3

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Sampled at the 21st Amendment is SF.

This is a really interesting beer. Presentation was cheesy - in a weizenglass with a slice of watermelon garnishing the lip of the glass. Still, the tropical feeling was welcome and while gimmicky, it was also creative.

Beer was a hazy straw color with a fizzy white head.

Tastes and smells remarkably like watermelon. I think they nailed this one. Delightfully refreshing and went great with 21st's delicious pizza. In my experience, fruit beers tend not to make the best session beers, and this one is no exception. For me, drinkability was hampered by the uniqueness of the taste - one was enough.

Really an ideal beer to pick up in cans. Perfect for the beach!

08-21-2006 23:29:25 | More by mitchfor3
CavePainter

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

I gave this one the ultimate test - in was chilling in the fridge while I was cutting my lawn on a humid 88 degree day. Did I mention that I have an old cast iron reel mower?

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange. Quickly fading creamy white head.

S: Sweetness in the nose. Clean.

T: A creamy sweetness upfront with just a kiss of watermelon. The watermelon is spot on - you will expect to be spitting out seeds. A bit of tartness at the end.

M: Creamy in and crisp at the end.

d: Like bitting in to a real watermellon. If it is a hot-ass day, you are going to be all over this beer. The flavor is subtle and not overwhelming, you can have a few of these without the sweetness turning your stomach like some fruit concoctions will.

The wheat base really lends itself well to the watermelon taste.

If you like fruit beer or American wheat beers, you should give this one a go.

07-18-2009 23:13:25 | More by CavePainter
twelvsies

Maine

3.98/5  rDev +22.8%

Pretty skeptical of any fruit beer aside from authentic lambics, but I'd heard this was good, and randomly picked up a watermelon this afternoon so I thought I'd give this beer a shot. Pours a pale-ish yellow from the can, dissipating head but a nice color and slight cloud to it. Hard to pick up much watermelon in the nose, which to me is a good sign. Mostly pale malts and a light sweetness, which may be the fruit I'm smelling. Taste is actually just about what I was looking for - not too much watermelon up front, but a nice pale maltiness and a touch of wheat, almost reminiscent of a German lager. A nice refreshing touch of watermelon in the finish, awesome. Light yet not lacking body on the palate, and quite refreshing and pleasurable to drink. This is the first fruit beer (like I said, non-lambic) that I've liked in a long, long time. I would actually get this again. And the best part - no seeds! Mwaahahahahaha...

07-11-2009 19:27:47 | More by twelvsies
david131

3.98/5  rDev +22.8%

A- A hazy, yellow beer with some floaters and a thin, splotchy white head.

S- White bread and a sweet, indistinguishable fruitiness. Not as potent of a watermelon punch as I was expecting.

T- Sweet watermelon and bread with caramel. A tad tart at the end.

M- A carbonation bite, but the sweetness keeps it refreshing.

D- A great warm weather beer. This has been on my "to try" list for awhile, and it doesn't disappoint.

03-10-2010 02:43:41 | More by david131
stewart124

3.98/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a golden yellow color with am inch of white head that didn't linger. Highly visible carbonation.

Slight hints of melon in the nose with a bit of straw. Not quite as much as I anticipated.

The taste is crisp and refreshing with just a touch of sweetness in the back of the throat as it tingles the tastebuds and tongue. This might be the ultimate lawnmower beer! The malt character is of straw and just a light bready character. The wheat might be evident in the medium mouthfeel but there is no haze.

Delicious to say the least. Highly drinkable and easy to put away. I am glad this made it's way over to Ohio.

07-07-2010 01:06:56 | More by stewart124