Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 686 | Hads: 2,454
3.7/5  rDev +13.1%

I received a can of this thanks to kplynch and RblWthACoz. I couldn't wait to try this oddball beer, I poured it in my hoegaarden glass and the smell hit me pretty hard, I think you could smell the watermelon on the other side of the room. The taste of it surprised me, I did not get the jolly rancher flavor, it's more like a watermelon rind taste to me. Goes down really smooth, not something I would drink a whole lot of but I can imagine this would be good on a really hot day. It is rather tart and refreshing. (515 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Frustrating but good beer!

I absolutely loved this beer when I first tried it on tap two years ago. I found it soon after in a can, and it was not nearly as good as the version on tap.

I went through the same thing this summer- found it on tap, and fell in love with it again. I then found it on tap elsewhere and was extremely disappointing. So that's two taps that were good, one that was bad.

It is worth noting that the two places that were good on tap are solid beer bars that rotate their taps on a normal basis.

I believe that this is a very delicate beer- when maintained properly and served at the absolute right temperature (very cold) it is delicious- just the right amount of watermelon will come through at the end, it's light and refreshing, and can easily have mass appeal.

In the can it seems to lose something, and if not served properly it loses a lot of appeal. I've tried to introduce the beer to others and it seems like every time I have tried to its one of those bad experiences with the beer.

21st Amendment may benefit by putting additional quality control in place or providing strong guidelines to the distributors and bars. (1,158 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nothing tastes more like summer than the unofficial fruit of watermelon. And when trying to use that refreshing taste to create an unofficial beer of summer the concern is whether the delicate and crisp taste could stand up- even to a light American Wheat Beer.

But as the beer pours, there's little evidence of the fruit inside. The hazy straw ale is nicely golden at its depths. A certain tilt of the glass can show a pinkish stain, but maybe that's also my mind playing tricks on me. Its foamy head rises with a character that's partly frothy and partly sprite. With retention and lacing both moderate, I get the impression that its head character would underwhelm if I allowed the session to last very long.

There it is! Not just watermelon, but all sorts of melon with strawberry and cantaloupe. And with supporting aromatics of bread and pulled candy- the scent hinges on hard candy flavor with those fruity scents front and center. Not all fruit, the beer's mild citrus and leafy aromas cast a hoppy note on the senses going into taste.

Its flavors start earthy and sweet as the wheat of the beer is mildly grainy-sweet and filled with shortbread. The melon flavors start moderate and continue to build, each sip more heightened than the other with a taste that hinges of the dripping ripeness of watermelon and that of candy. Yet its herbal, leafy and mildly grassy finish returns to hops as the ale crispens right up.

Light bodied from sip 'til finish, the ale is somewhat watery, but perhaps by design. Its creamy-dry upstart quickly sheds its carbonation to usher in a grainy and wafer-thin finish to prop up the taste. Its finish is herbal and grassy with minty warmth.

Akin to Abita's Strawberry Harvest, the ale underneath the fruit offers tepid support and the fruit, though truly seductive seems a bit contrived. If the balance is off, then it is beautifully off. I have a soft spot on my palate for these types of beer. (1,941 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +13.8%

new entry in our market here in the Northeast so i'd give it a shot

can says to agitate before opening since there is yeast in the can...a couple of quick shakes before opening produced a billowing head that i had to let settle before pouring the remainder of the can in my pint glass...once settled the head was no where to be seen...bright yellow....minimal carbonation

strong scent of watermelon upon bringing up to my nose....some hints of wheat here and there but watermelon is dominant

watermelon flavor coats the mouth after each sip....strong but not cloying....good balance with the wheat flavor

a little thin, but i think this along with the watermelon flavor make it more drinkable...not much in the way of carbonation

i'm drinking this on a cool rainy night, but this would be a nice deck/beach/boat beer on a summer afternoon...might also be a nice gateway beer for the ladies out there that don't like the taste of beer (938 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer pours a slightly hazy yellow with a pillowy white head and no lacing. The aroma is of watermelon with cake and mild sweet malt. The flavor is watermelon throughout with lemon, cake, and wheat malt notes. There is a good balance between the watermelon and the rest in both the aroma and on the palate. It's mouthfeel is light. 21st Amendment Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is a good beer, a good example of the style, and refreshing. Recommended. (459 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +13.8%

12 ounce can poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden orange color with an initial fluffy white head. The dissipation was rather quick but it did retain a thin foam cap and ring. Lacing is on the weak side.

S: Grain, lemon zest, a bit musky with an overall citrus forward nose. It's nothing overpowering at all but nothing is off putting. I wish there were more aromas of watermelon coming through in the nose but I couldn't find anything of the sort.

T: Wheat, watermelon comes through quite nicely on the first sip and it does taste quite natural which I wasn't expecting. It's not overly sweet or artificial tasting by any means, which I enjoy. Subsequent sips do lose the watermelon flavor but it retains a bit of itself as your palate adjusts. Some bready malt notes come out in the finish as does just a hint of tartness from the fruit flavors. A lot better than I expected.

M: Very bubbly, well-carbonated, honestly this is how I like wheat-esque beers to be. Again, nicely done.

This beer is a unique take on a wheat-centric beer by adding watermelon, something of which I've never seen done before. And it works quite well. Nothing seems overpowering but the aromas could use some work, as could the flavor profile in the taste. I'd like to see the watermelon stay relevant throughout, but a nice base for a flavored wheat beer. (1,353 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Even though the only other fruit flavored beer I've ever had was Shipyard's blueberry, by nature, I'm not a big fan of fruit flavored beer.

That being said, I was very surprised with this 21st Amendment beer. The watermelon is very poignant and almost tastes like Gatorade. I drank five of these without even thinking about it. Great summer beer. (347 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours pale gold in color with a big white head. Smells of typical wheat beer aromas with a little soapiness and some watermelon. Flavor is light and crisp with apparent, but not overwhelming watermelon notes. I like this, it's unique but well executed. Good summer brew. (270 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +13.8%

Numbeercruncher was kind enough to send this beer my way. Thanks, Matt!

Pours a dull, golden brown. Hazy with a 1 inch white head that evaporates in about 2 minutes.

Smells of wheat, yeasts, some funk and a lingering sweetness of watermelon.

Much like the nose. Light to medium bodied with medium overall flavor. The puckering watermelon flavor is very faint in this one. Wheat, yeasts and higher carbonation.

This one would probably be better fresh and in the summer! (472 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer looks quite plain, almost adjunct lager-y with a flat gold and a touch a haze. There are quite a few bubbles rising out but not making much of a head.

Smells too of cheap beer, but with a sour touch of freshly baked bread or some dinner rolls. There's also a faint lime rind here.

The flavor starts with a touch fruity lemon and lime that picks up a touch of dry wheat reminding me of a hefe, but this one is far dryer. It also picks up that cheap beer flavor, but the fruity notes seem to work quite well with it. I could have quite a few of these. The watermelon is not very overt, but present, much like a jolly rancher, though. I've had this on tap and there's just pure extract emanating from it, but in the can, this is far more understated.

Feels glassy, dense and clean with just a soft scrub of carbonation.

Nice! Nothing fancy here, just an easy drinkin' beer. (885 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%

Yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head that stays at about a quarter of an inch.Aroma is faint fruit.Taste is malts,wheat and watermelon.Fresh tasty and refreshing.This is good for summer outings.Overall I would recommend and purchase again!! (250 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't think I would have ever decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try. (1,414 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A - Soft golden, yellow with a small white head, especially for a wheat beer. Appears to have a thin body

S - Watermelon jolly rancher, soft wheat, light bubblegum and clove. Smells like what you'd expect for a watermelon wheat beer

T - Light watermelon is the first flavor you get. There are hints of the normal wheat beer as weel as you get hints of clove and bubblegum. Near the finish, there are hints of wheat as well as the watermelon that comes back. I like how they incorporated the watermelon to add flavor but still having the wheat beer behind it.

MF - Lightly carbonated and a bit light and watery on the body. Finish has some light carbonation that comes through. The lack of carbonation makes the body thin overall.

O - I love how they incorporated the watermelon into the beer and it fits perfectly. It is a nice summer, wheat beer. However, I do wish it had a bit more carbonation and body to it which make this one of the better wheat beers out there. Happy to see the experimentation with the new fruit flavors and I think it pays off. (1,095 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cans drank at the beach this past weekend.

Did not pour it out, as I was in the water but apparently it's a hazy orange.

Smells like sweet fruits, but not necessarily watermelon. Some wheat is noticed on the nose too.

The taste is similar. It's a standard crisp American pale wheat, with a crisp finish that is accentuated by a mild but juicy watermelon flavor. It's subtle, and doesn't overwhelm the palate or become cloying. The base wheat beer is slightly bitter, and a little bit yeasty- the sweetness from the watermelon keeps both of those in check. The beer is understandably a little watery.

Light bodied, crisp, refreshing mouthfeel- perfect for the situation. High carbonation.

Overall not too bad- it's not a world beater, though. The watermelon flavor is nice, but the base beer could be a little bit better. (825 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +14.4%

Strange way I got this beer. It was mailed to me from a friend of my daughter from San Francisco to Portland. Anyway this was a nice beer! Could drink tons of it as it is refreshing and tasty. And it does have a hint of watermelon to boot. I liked it and wish more were available up here.

06-22-2010
It's here! New Seasons (323 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +14.4%

This beer gets a lot of flack, but I actually really enjoy it. It tastes a little artificial, but it is actually very refreshing. The watermelon is more pronounced than the wheat, but it goes down pretty well on a hot day. It is refreshing and flavorful and I would (will) be buying it again. (292 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Canned on 03/26/12.

Appearance: Pours a bright and very cloudy golden orange with lots of rising bubbles. Solid three finger white head that sticks for a bit than fades into a thin patchy layer. Lacing is moderate.

Smell: A sweet aroma of wheat grains and a quite noticeable presence of watermelon. Also some pale malts and hints of other citrus fruits including lemon and orange. Yeasty and somewhat tart smelling. Pretty much smells like a standard wheat beer with some watermelon added.

Taste: Tastes pretty much how it smells. Wheat grains and pale malts with big hints of watermelon juices. Hints of citrus orange and lemon zest. Somewhat sour and tart with a decent yeasty presence. Actually tastes pretty good for what it is. A fairly light taste with nothing offensive.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Crisp and somewhat syrupy. Very smooth.

Overall: I've often seen this sitting on the shelves and being kind of put off by the concept of a watermelon beer, but I'm glad I tried it. It's a pretty tasty light wheat beer that would go great with the summer. (1,165 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat Beer pours a hazy orange body with a bit of a pinkish cast and golden highlights. The creamy white head holds fairly well, and it leaves some initial splatters and splashes of lace about the glass.

The aroma is quite bold, and displays fresh-cut watermelon rind.

The flavor is a little more fruit-like, a touch sweet, and remarkably authentic. It starts sweet, reveals its watermelon character, and then fades readily from the palate with just a little bit of melon flavor left behind.

It's interesting and quite easy to drink, but a bit one-sided. However, it makes a great summer beer, and would probably be great at backyard barbeques! (683 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a beer can glass on 06.18.14.

A: 1/2 finger head that quickly recedes to a ring. Cloudy yellow/orange body.

S: Lemon, wheat, and orange peel. It smells like a typical wit.

T: Watermelon and wheat. That's it.

M: Creamy smooth and crisp.

O: The watermelon works well with the wheat. It tastes good, but there is nothing else to it.

Rating: C, 75/100. (385 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Good 2 finger head with retention pale white-ish orange color not very opaque

N: Nose has some wheat and some biscuit but mostly watermelon and touch of cream

T: Taste has watermelon right up front, some nice wheaty flavors, a little yeasty and some sweet sugars but otherwise not sweet at all, a little special B type malts with Belgian creaminess, little biscuit and slight hop

M: Mouth is light and a little airy but also creamy

F: Finish is pretty dry and has a slight bitterness on the finish but more watermelon on the tongue, pretty refreshing beer surprisingly

Final Thoughts: Bought this beer for my wife to try to get her into beers with a watermelon, but turns out this is closer to a "real" beer than a fruity watermelon beer. It has a nice malty and wheaty biscuit taste and followed with some slight hops. I liked it more than her. My guess is Nikko and Shaun tried to make a Watermelon beer that beer drinkers could enjoy too, or as the last step between a fruity mellow beer and an IPA. It's also a great summer drinking beer after a hot day. (1,066 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Greg Cock for the sample.

Pours a lightly hazed golden amber, thick white head forms, thick ring around the glass, some decent lacing sticking around, good retention, looks nice. Smell is neat, very fruity, honey sweetness, watermelon seeds, orange peel, kind of biscuity and toasty, nice and refreshing aroma. Taste is pretty watermelon seedy, biscuity and toasty, wheat, lemon tartness, honey, very fresh fruitiness, some melons, pretty good. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, very refreshing if a little bland, but would be great in the summer. (583 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale cloudy straw with a barely present fizzy white head. The aroma is light with both yeasty esters and watermelon. The taste is a nice crisp watermelon flavor, not sugary but refreshingly sweet. A nice light body with a little bit of carbonation. A great summer beer. (277 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Pretty hazy lighter gold colored brew. Small white head but it lasts a while. Wheat malt scent with a nice dose of watermelon. Nice light wheat taste, nice infusion of the watermelon. Kind of sharp on the tongue, but a lighter to medium bodied brew thats fairly wet. Nice light brew for the summertime. (302 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Pours a light hazy yellow with virtually no head that quickly disappears. No lacing to speak of. Carbonation starts out strong, but quickly turns into just a few bubbles here and there. Overall, not a very good looking beer.

S - The smell immediately reminded me of bud heavy from the can. Upon taking a second sniff, it seems to just be the combination of watermelon and wheat that give it an off smell. The smell isn't making me want to drink this any more than the appearance.

T - Wow! The appearance and smell don't lead on to what the beer will taste like at all for this one. Don't take this to mean it is absolutely amazing, because it isn't, but it is immensely better than the scent puts on. Very light wheat taste with a constant watermelon background. Very subtle, but it's there. I wanted this beer to be more complex than that, but it just isn't. There's no hops, no malt background, just wheat and watermelon.

M - Good mouthfeel. The light body and moderate carbonation give this beer slightly more for the mouth to focus on than the simple taste. A good smooth summer beer.

D - Very drinkable beer, but what do you expect for it's simplicity and average ABV. You could easily go through a sixer of these at a BBQ or on the beach.

It was good, but I don't know that I will be getting it again at the current price tag near me. Good for the novelty of the beer, but nothing else really. (1,409 characters)

Poured into pint glass.

Nice head, but disapated fairly quick. Beer is a transparent golden color. Similar to that of your typical BMC.

Nose is a grainy/barley smell with hints of watermelon thoughout.

Tastes like ripe watermelon. Not really like the red part of the watermelon, but the pinkish white part closer to the crust. I've seen a few other reviews compare it to BMC with hints of watermelon, and I see what they're talking about.

Not a bad brew at all. I'd pick it up again and with the somewhat low ABV this would make a good summer session beer. (560 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery