1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,467 | Reviews: 583 | Show All Ratings:
ghengisflan

4.19/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a perfect summer beer, and I feel that the Beer Advocate rating does not do justice to this sweet wheat. The first sip is a nice wheat beer, and there is a cumulative watermelon that gradually grows in your mouth. I could drink this beer all day sitting outside on a wharf on the beach. Delicious.

06-15-2013 03:57:08 | More by ghengisflan
JoeMayo

4.2/5  rDev +30%

In order to get the full flavor, you want to serve this slightly warmer than you would usually serve a wheat beer. It's pretty bland if too cold, but delicious at around 50 degrees.

A- Pours a slightly hazy yellow-straw color

S- Clean, bready wheat flavor with two distinct watermelon notes. There's the aroma of fresh watermelon flesh and the slightly tart aroma of "watermelon flavored" candies. Really interesting...

T- Sweet, bready flavor with a very apparent flavor of fresh watermelon. Not much else, but it's nice and simple.

M- Juicy and refreshing with a lingering flavor.

D- Really easy to drink. Light and refreshing with a really nice flavor.

05-31-2009 13:19:45 | More by JoeMayo
beerad666

4.2/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Now at first a Watermelon wheat may not sound very appealing but you just need to give this guy one sip to see why it's a great backyard summer beer.

Pouring out a light hazy golden yellow. With a tiny white head that vanishes suddenly. The smell is what you'd expect, rather sugary with heavy watermelon and wheat. The wheat is light with a small watermelon back. It's subtle but very much there. Nothing very complex but really I don't want too much in this guy. At 4.9% it's perfect for spending the day hanging out with friends or family without having something that's going to knock you on your ass.

07-05-2010 17:31:50 | More by beerad666
sixerofelixir

4.2/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can.

Pours a light honey gold color with almost a greenish hue. No visibility through the wheaty cloud. A white head soon turns into a ring. Smell is remarkably crisp, I get many light green fruit tones, like pear and apple, and some light grains. Taste is very bright and crisp. The watermelon really serves as a nice backing, without too much sweetness and just a little tartness. Finishes dry, with a little hops bitterness and lingering watermelon sweetness. Pretty good, and my favorite fruit-added beer I've sampled. I could drink a bunch of these on a hot day..

12-24-2010 22:37:18 | More by sixerofelixir
david18

4.22/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer Advocate calls this a fruit beer but I would put it closer to a wheat. Although there is a slight watermelon aroma and taste it's really not that strong. It's an excellent, drinkable beer and a great summer draft. Might also be accessible to non-beer drinkers, like my wife.

07-24-2009 18:34:11 | More by david18
corylew

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +30.7%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Pours straw yellow with a 1/4th inch tall white head that dissipates quickly.

The smell is what took me off guard. It really does smell like watermelon, but it's not like a wine cooler. It has malt and a little hop smell with a strike of jolly rancher-like watermelon.

Taste is of fake watermelon. Like I said though, it's not just watermelon. It's like watermelon that compliments the flavors of the beer itself.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice and light in body but still flavorful as a beer itself and sweet watermelon taste.

Overall: Watermelon is a difficult beer to get right, and these guys certainly made a good example of it. Yeah the taste isn't going to taste like biting into a real watermelon. Watermelon itself has very little flavor other that sugar. Watermelon flavoring is still delicious though, and being a big fan of it, I found this beer to be great.

10-28-2011 05:07:19 | More by corylew
bcostner1

Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev +31.6%

I picked up a case of this while in ATL recently. My wife and I had just bought a 6-pack to "try" and we liked it so much that we had to stock up before coming back to TN.

I don't understand the very "average" opinions of this beer. You have to appreciate this beer for what it is. And what it is, in my opinion, is perhaps one of the most perfect summer beers that I've personally ever enjoyed (if you like watermelon).

A: Bright, sunny, straw-yellow. Like a typical wheat beer would look. Nice 1 finger head.

S: Mild malt. Hint of crisp fresh watermelon. Mild hops.

T: Like I said, it is pretty much "summer in a glass." You get a little malt, a little hops, and some definite cool, crisp, and REFRESHING watermelon. I love it (but I also love watermelon). It has just enough watermelon so that you really get a good taste of it and can appreciate it but it is not overpowering or cloying in the least.

M: SO easy to drink. Smooth and tasty. It goes down great in the heat of a summer's day or in the waning sunset of a summer's evening on the deck.

O: If I was looking for something to have multiple glasses/cans of while spending some time outdoors in the warm weather, this would absolutely be my choice (if I could only get more of it in TN). I definitely recommend it as a summer-time brew.

06-10-2011 14:42:07 | More by bcostner1
dragonWhale

4.25/5  rDev +31.6%

This has been a brutal summer for me, moving from the west coast to the east coast, remembering the violent heat and humidity that I had once left behind. The city here traps the heat all day, bakes itself, leaves you warm and toasty down to your soul. At the end of a long day, you need something immensely quaffable. I've been a fan of this beer for a while, but this summer my love for it bloomed.
Unfortunately, it is one of those beers that must be consumed cold. Cold, the watermelon is in harmony with the wheat. It is obvious but not over the top, extremely complementary. Once the beer warms a bit, the wheat comes out and you realize that maybe this beer isn't that good after all. I can't tell you what it looks like, because this approachable and very drinkable beer is best administered directly from the can.
I, for one, ambitiously declare this one of my 5 beers of the summer. And as the last shipment has arrived at the store, I realize that I have survived my first summer in NY, and the leaves are about to change.

08-31-2011 14:00:15 | More by dragonWhale
GoreStorm

4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

i was skeptical about the can...turned out to be pretty good...

poured a mildly hazy gold color.
the head was fluffy and stayed throughout.
scent of grain and watermelon and fruit
taste is the same, much more pronounced, some light strawberry flavor also. very nice.
solid wheat beer mouthfeel.
very drinkable. i put back 5 cans and didn't flinch.

09-14-2008 09:40:21 | More by GoreStorm
JoePat

Kentucky

4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

This beer pours a hazy golden straw color with a thick white head.

Some wheat twange, citrus, bready yeast, and almost jolly rancher like watermelon.

I nice smooth wheat flavor. Light refreshing a little twange and the watermelon is just barely there, I would almost mistake it for a cucumber flavor if I didn't know it was watermelon.

The mouthfeel is for lack of a better word perfect. If feels like silk in your mouth.

I don't think a beer gets more drinkable than this. A smooth refeshing wheat beer with a nice light fruit flavor just under the surface.

09-21-2010 01:31:16 | More by JoePat
SillyCheez

4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

By my rating, you can tell I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I was looking for a slighlty sweet summer beer to have during cook outs and BBQs, or sitting by the pool and relaxing in the sun. Sit back with a BBQ burger, fruit salad, and enjoy the sunny day.

A: Average for a beer. You can see lots of carbonation, and there is not much of a head. But for a crisp, summer beer, I don't WANT a large head on my beer. Also, an extra .5 for the can design.

S: GREAT. Crack open the can and pour and just smell grain and fresh melon. One of those beers you love to take a full nose full when you drink.

T: The melon is more in the background of the taste. You get just the quick hint of bitterness, then the flavor of some more popular wit beers, where replacing some citrus notes is the melon. It does not linger long at all, but it refreshes very well.

MF: The high carbonation just works with the overall package. It is every so slighlty syrupy as well. It all helps the beer become a refreshing package.

To those who have bought a 6 pack and don't enjoy it, save one for a BBQ, and give it another shot. For low bitterness/refreshing summer beers, this is one of my favorites.

07-21-2011 21:55:44 | More by SillyCheez
themind

4.33/5  rDev +34.1%

I truly like this summer beer! It's refreshing and has hints of REAL watermelon. Light carbonation, easy to drink and makes your taste buds call for another. When I see this beer in the summer months...I buy it!

Bottom Line: If you like wheat beers and you like watermelon..this is it! Worth the 10 spot for the six.

05-23-2012 20:48:57 | More by themind
dansroka

4.35/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I used to work in the neighborhood of 21st Amendment, and this quickly became a favorite summertime beer. Your first reaction to hearing the name is "watermelon? in a beer?". But watermelon provides a suprisingly light and refreshing twist to a wheat beer. After drinking it, we all had the sudden desire to try to brew it ourselves.

It arrives with a nice head, nice clear color, and a slice of watermelon (instead of the typical lemon). The taste is all beer, with just a hint of watermelon - enough to make a difference without feeling cloying or gimmicky. The draught is very refreshing, cutting through any flavors in whatever food you may be eating and cleansing your palette. Perfect with one of their great burgers, before strolling down to a game.

03-04-2005 19:46:00 | More by dansroka
hustlesworth

4.35/5  rDev +34.7%

A- hazed lemony yellow with quick to settle snow white foam that leaves some spotty lace but has no retentive qualities to speak of.

S- light APWA aroma, white bread, mildly banana-ish, and the smallest touch of melon.

T- very nice light watermelon flavor. any more or less fruit flavor wouldn't sit well with me, but the light flavor perfectly compliments the light base beer. a little metallic but that's ok. it's not at all complex or flavorful-- and that's exactly what i like about it. finishes crisp and clean.

MF- light and refreshing with tight prickly carbonation and a slight powdery feel. nothing more than would be desired from a beer of this nature. this is totally yard-work BBQ picnic maybe even shotgun worthy beer. so watch out, coors light.

D- i got hooked on this stuff over the last week. i'm not much of a fruit beer guy but this is some seriously killer brew and i've had it with everything from fried chicken to grilled veal chops and it always seems to fit.. as a summer beer. on a cold december's night it would be an abomination but right here right now this is one of the most thirst quenching and drinkable things i can imagine. this is a wacky idea done right and the brewer's intentions are firmly clear. and from a can? awesome. that's means i can take em fishin.

05-17-2010 00:16:21 | More by hustlesworth
FtownThrowDown

4.38/5  rDev +35.6%

I'm not a big fan of watermelon at all, but I absolutely enjoyed and loved this beer.
Pours a light, cloudy gold in color. Nice inch of frothy head forms on the pour. Smell is nice, juicy watermelon as well as some wheat. Taste is very nice. Very refreshing and welcome on a hot, humid, memorial day. The watermelon flavor never gets old or cloying. Surprising on how well it worked in the beer and how with myself not even being a watermelon fan, thoroughly loved this beer. I could drink nothing but this on a hot summer day. Very good beer.

05-27-2009 17:57:50 | More by FtownThrowDown
Stephanate

4.38/5  rDev +35.6%

Perfect summer beer. Cool and refreshing. Smooth light wheat taste with great real watermelon after taste. Doesn't have that generic fake watermelon after taste like a candy. No bitterness. Comparable to most light beers in wheat flavor but with the additional summer fruitiness.

08-14-2013 18:56:23 | More by Stephanate
phergy

Missouri

4.4/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The watermelon wheat looks like any unfiltered wheat beer: amber and cloudy. It has a white bubbly head that thins quickly. The nose is almost all wheat grain. It isn't until the first drink that you get a hint of watermelon. It is subtle, but noticeable, and adds a bit of sweetness to the beer. The closest I can get to describing the flavor is watermelon Jolly Rancher, but it not nearly that overpoweringly sweet. More like someone near you is eating a watermelon Jolly Rancher and you occasionally get a whiff. I was surprised to find that the watermelon is a nice complement to the wheatiness of the beer. Not a beer I would drink every day, but very good; much better than I expected.

05-20-2008 21:11:10 | More by phergy
dborginis

4.4/5  rDev +36.2%

Hazy gold, mildly turbid. Clean, sweet, slightly fruity smell. Taste: sour watermelon, sweetness of a wheat, hops linger. Can see myself craving this as a replacement for a sour beer when sours/wilds are not available. Really good balance among the 3 tastes w/o losing anything. Mouthfeel is light, watery. Drinkability is excellent.

06-29-2009 23:12:37 | More by dborginis
Bierlerner

Oklahoma

4.43/5  rDev +37.2%

A- A great golden hazy cloud. About 2 fingers of head that goes away but not too quickly. Little to no lacing.

S- Yeasty with orange peel and melon rind and tartness

T- Really great and surprising. Its a wheat beer. So, naturally yeasty and orange and coriander spices. But mix in an even, but not overbearing, watermelon hint of flavor and you get another level. Really refreshing.

M- light body and light carbonation. Just right for this style

O- excellent sessional summer beer. Hangin at the lake. In the heat. Whatever. Taste great. I need more.

05-11-2011 00:27:46 | More by Bierlerner
BeerSox

4.45/5  rDev +37.8%

12oz can into nonic.

Hazy pale golden hue with a bright white two finger head that slowly settles to a razor thin and even thin cap.

A bit of sweet watermelon bubblegum in the aroma along with some light wheat grains.

A bit of tart wheat with a splash of sweet sugary watermelon flavor. Medium bodied with higher carbonation.

Fruity wheat beers are usually a slight miss for me, but this one seems to hit the spot. Very refreshing, and the splash of watermelon is just right. I can imagine consuming gallons of this on a hot summer day. Recommended.

06-01-2009 03:07:07 | More by BeerSox
yuenglings

4.45/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went in to the beer store to buy my wife a case of the new blue moon summer honey wheat or what ever it was and came across this melon wheat beer i just had to get it and hope she liked it well she didn't like it!... she LOVED it and so did I.

At first i opened the can poured it in to a glass and right off the bat ya can smell melon rind. I thought o no this is going to be bad but as it turned out this is my new best summer beer.

05-13-2012 22:46:55 | More by yuenglings
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +38.4%

My experiences with Watermelon Wheats had not been positive so I was hesitant to try this beer. At the advice of a respected BA I gave it a shot and boy was I ever surprised. First and foremost, 21st’s WW isn’t pink. It looks like beer rather than Kool-aid. This is positive. Its body is a hazed golden lager color served in a small weizen glass. Aroma is all watermelon, real, honest to goodness watermelon. Close your eyes and you’re body will tell you that you’re sniffing a big wedge of green and red goodness. The flavor matches as does the mouthfeel. It’s fibrous. This is the real deal. While there is almost no head, there are bountiful carbonation streams giving this beer a great bite. Body is very light. Drinkability is high due to the lack of artificial flavor and only light to moderate sweetness. They were wise not to overdo it. The best watermelon wheat I’ve had… in fact the only good Watermelon Wheat I’ve had.

Note: I'm giving this beer high marks not because I loved the beer but because I feel that 21st captured the style they were going for almost perfectly.

05-19-2006 16:27:19 | More by DaPeculierDane
Nature777

4.47/5  rDev +38.4%

Very easy to drink! This is by far my favorite summer beer! It has the feel of any other wheat beer, but the watermelon taste is so unique that it simply floored me.

The beer is slightly pink with a white head. The color of this beer really stood out to me. Initially, I thought the color seemed very artificial which made me expect an artificial flavor. But, I was wrong. There is little up front beyond a generic wheat beer, but in the aftertaste lies a brilliant watermelon flavor!

It is easy to drink and not very filling. It is slightly more alcoholic than your run of the mill macrobrews making it possible to drink a great many of these at any given time. It's a good beer to give to new beer drinkers. It's an excellent example of how diverse craft beers can be!

08-05-2010 09:00:31 | More by Nature777
JaredKent

Rhode Island

4.48/5  rDev +38.7%

Appearance: Golden with a light amber/orange color to it. About a 10 SRM. The beer pours nice and strong giving a full inch of head. It lingers for the first few sips but after swirling it has faded away.

Scent: Light aroma, mild tartness coming from the wheat. Slight biscuity notes up front. Underneath the grain is a very mild watermelon smell. Very reminiscent of watermelon candy or watermelon italian ice. Not overpowering in the slightest.

Taste: Right up front you get a bit more of that watermelon flavor, which comes on a little bit stronger than the aroma, but still very mild. It lasts for a few seconds, mingling with the wheat’s tartness before dissipating. As soon as the watermelon fades in comes the biscuit again as the closer to finish it all out.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied. The carbonation isn’t over the top. Short on the tongue.

Overall: Between this and Abita’s Strawberry Harvest, I’m finding more fruit beers that I like. These are not pumped with artificial flavors that overpower the beer. The watermelon in this beer is so subtle that it could easily be overlooked if your not thinking about the flavors. Once you start to really dig into the beer the watermelon comes out of hiding and compliments the wheat very nicely.

06-06-2012 19:25:16 | More by JaredKent
KimCox

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +40.2%

I've only been drinking craft beer for about 2.5 years and I know that everyone's palate is different but I really enjoy this beer! I don't enjoy sweet, syrupy, fruity beers/ciders so Hell or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is right up my alley. Somewhat dry, crisp, and perfect for a hot Phoenix, AZ pool day. I don't pick up any of the "Fake, Jolly Rancher Watermelon flavor" other reviewers have mentioned. Tastes like good ol' real watermelon to me. First had this at the 2012 AmeriCAN festival - and now I pick some up whenever I'm traveling to where 21st Amendment distributes.
Well done 21st Amendment. And Thank You!

06-26-2012 15:15:46 | More by KimCox