Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
buschbeer

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

I poured into a pint glass to one finger of head that was gone before I could discern what color it was. White if I recall correctly. The beer is pale yellow in color. The aroma is sweet and bready with a hint of watermelon. The taste is your basic wheat beer with some watermelon flavor. The flavor reminds me mostly of watermelon rind. It is crisp with a clean finish. it was worth a try and is quite refreshing after working outside 10+ hours in the mid 90's.

07-07-2010 22:40:34 | More by buschbeer
claspada

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours yellow and hazy,with a thick white head that falls away into a thin head of small white bubbles. It left some lacing on the glass. Mouthfeel is a little undercarbonated for the style.

Aroma is dead on for a Watermelon Jolly Rancher; no hop aroma detected. Pretty simple.

Taste is also pretty straight-forward; its clean, finishes nicely. Its medium body is a bit much for the style (wish it was a little lighter), grainy in the back, some sweetness with the watermelon flavor overpowering the other malts and any hops. Its about what you'd expect a watermelon wheat to taste like. The drinkability will vary by how much you like watermelon/fruit beers; for me I could do 3 max and then be burnt out but as I said some could do many many more, some 1 and done.

08-27-2010 01:53:44 | More by claspada
WesWes

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light, pale and wheat malt scent along with a strange breadiness and a weak watermelon aroma. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pale and wheat malt flavor with a mild watermelon character. It's got a weird taste to it, but I guess it's the fruit. I'm not used to watermelon flavored beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an above average beer, but nothing I would buy again.

12-22-2009 00:24:20 | More by WesWes
Kranders

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Typically with fruit beers you'll get something overly sweet to the point that it just tastes fake. Especially with Watermelon beers, they often just taste like drinking a Jolly Rancher. Surprisingly, that was the not the case here, and while there was a ton of watermelon flavor, it really wasn't that overly sweet syrup flavor. Pretty good I'd say, not something I'd get all the time, but I did enjoy it.

11-19-2011 03:44:18 | More by Kranders
Mcculler

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

Fizzy head over hazy orange body that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Smells of watermelon (both real and artificial), captain crunch with crunch berries, granola, pear, and a little lemony-thyme bitterness.

Nose confirms taste.

Mouthfeels is good, maybe a little heavy for a summer lawnmower beer.

This is so much better than last year's can that I had. The cooked vegetable isn't even a memory. I would like this to have a little more interesting hop profile - just a bit of nobles, maybe. But for what it is I'm very impressed.

07-27-2012 04:36:42 | More by Mcculler
Chincino

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

I had this beer on-tap at the 21st Amendment brewery in San Francisco. I had it during the summer and it was a good summer beer. It was highly drinkable-very light and crisp. There was a strong aroma of watermelon and it was served which a watermelon wedge on the side of the pint glass.

11-10-2010 23:55:31 | More by Chincino
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

A: A very pale yellow appearance. This is beer is very clear with plenty of effervescence. There is a big, white, fluffy head (due to an aggressive pour) that quickly fades down to about an eight of an inch and leaves some decent lacing throughout the glass, though that disappears in a couple of minutes.

S: The aromas are simple with scents of watermelon jolly ranchers with a little bit of wheat.

T: This beer is refreshing and tasty. I just mowed the lawn, and this is a good beer to pair with summer yard work. The watermelon taste is very present, which I like. I get a bit frustrated when I get a fruit beer and the fruit is so subtle it's hardly detectable. This beer is exactly what it says on the can, and I can respect that. That being said, I'm just not sure that I dig watermelons in my beer.

M: The feel is a bit thin, and has a slight burn in the back (possibly from the fruit?). I would prefer a little more wheat malt backbone and a slightly thicker feel, though I realize this is a low abv summer beer.

D: A good summer beer. One is plenty for me, as I would grow tired of any watermelon beer fairly quickly. Give it a try.

07-15-2010 00:18:36 | More by Huhzubendah
beerthulhu

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a lemon-gold with a bright white fluffy 1 finger head that settled to a polished surface rather quickly with no lacing. A light display of effervesce, with an overall appearance of decent.

S: fruity with fresh watermelon and raspberries. Surprised here, was expecting an overkill of artificial flavoring but was rater quite subdued with a freshness of real watermelon. There is a bit of sugary orange juice (sunny d) as well as noticeable soft fresh wheat coming through. The scent was rather light to medium in strength and disappointing at first, but soon came to appreciate its subtleness and fresh fruity unique nature the more I explored it.

T: The flavor delivered some sunny d orange juice notes as well dominant watermelon flavors that quenched the tongue. Once again was expecting an overkill of artificial watermelon and fruit bomb similar to a wine cooler but the overall flavor came off very subdued and fresh against a pale wheat backing. Crisp, refreshing and fruity with just enough watermelon presence to make you appreciate it without becoming overbearing like many other fruit beers. The finish find a soft tartness of light orange juice along as a soft floral hopping. Overall was quite impressed on how this was pulled off, not an easy thing to do. The wheat malting takes a back seat to the fruity watermelon nature but still contributes more then the average fruit beer.

M: a medium viscosity, smooth with just a tingle of carbonation detected. Sadly it was just ok though in comparison to the rest of the drink coming of just average.

D: Would give this a decent drinkability factor rating here. Soft fruity nature with a decent crispness lends its way to a decent summer picnic quencher. The balance lets just enough of the wheat malting come through while the fruity watermelon taste comes through but never overstays its welcome. Good for several at a time like I said as a summer picnic quencher or tweener beer to beat the heat and something unique with a twist flavorwise.

07-23-2009 22:52:17 | More by beerthulhu
gabedivision

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- hazy golden yellow, big white 1 finger head thst thins to an almost absent lace

S- sweet grains, a touch of sour, Wheat & oats, some mellon coming through

T- grainy water mellon flavor up front, fruity pepples, tart sweetness that finishes with a wet cardboard funk.

M- light, light bodied, sweet & dry.

O- nice easy summer beer, some mellon flavors, alot of sweetness, some off flavors. Just a light wheat beer with a touch of fruit

06-23-2014 21:00:17 | More by gabedivision
womencantsail

On-tap at 21A

A: The beer comes with a small piece of watermelon affixed to the glass (a la an orange/lemon with hefeweizens of ill-repute). The beer is a slightly hazed straw color.

S: The nose definitely exhibits some watermelon, but it is more watermelon rind in nature. A bit of sweet, bread malt underneath.

T: Plenty of watermelon flavor, so at least it lives up to its name. Mostly watermelon rind and watermelon jolly rancher with just a hint of wheat.

M: The body is on the lighter side with plentiful carbonation.

D: I don't know how much of this I'd actually be interested in drinking at a time, but it's not a bad beer. Quite refreshing and better than some of the other beers that were on tap.

07-30-2010 06:57:50 | More by womencantsail
Stinkypuss

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Ive been wanting to try this one for a while, found it on tap.

Appearance: Bright gold in color with a soapy head and some lace.

Smell: Bready/Biscuity malt and just a faint whiff of fruit, not quite sure if it is watermelon.

Taste: Standard wheat beer notes coupled with a light sour tang of watermelon. With the amount of watermelon juice used, it adds only a subtlety to the beer. Almost like dropping a watermelon jolly rancher into a light beer. Still interesting and certainly an achievement of what they were going for.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: The watermelon flavor was there the whole time, and was very intriguing. I wouldn't want more than one though, good for a novelty but average drinkability.

07-13-2010 18:38:32 | More by Stinkypuss
MagicHatFan

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

I discovered this beer when looking for something new at the liquor store tonight. I've always like watermelon beer, so I figured that I'd give it a shot. I wasn't sure about the can but since I poured it into a glass, it didn't really matter. The beer poured with a strong head that quickly disappeared. It's a yellow straw color. The smell is of wheat and watermelon but also of sour popcorn if you can imagine that. The taste makes up for any faults in smell and appearance. It tastes like a light wheat beer with a watermelon aftertaste. The watermelon taste is real and not artificial or too sweet. It reminds me more of actual watermelon and less of watermelon bubblegum. This is a good summer beer that goes down smooth.

06-12-2010 01:10:14 | More by MagicHatFan
Mosstrooper

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from 12oz can into Corsendonk tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy honey color with a large white head that dissipates quickly and only leaves hints of lace.

Smell: Smells like a watermelon jolly rancher, with hints of malt and yeast.

Taste: Tastes like a typical bitter wheat beer, with watermelon in the background throughout.

Mouthfeel: Watery and smooth, with balanced carbonation. Very refreshing.

Drinkability: A unique twist on wheat beer. Certainly not the best out there, but worth a look.

03-03-2010 01:21:51 | More by Mosstrooper
paulozanello

Brazil

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a hazy light yellow color, very pale. Forms a nice 3 finger white head that recedes after about 5 minutes leaving a thin foam cap on top of the beer. Lacing is average.

Smell is malts, bread, light citrus/lemon, light sweet fruits, mainly watermelon and coconut.

Taste begins with malt, bread and wheat and progresses to some sweet watermelon notes that are very mild but persist up until the end of the sip and aftertaste. Also there is a discrete aromatic/spicy hop presence contributing to light bitterness towards the finish.

Very light in body and easy to drink. High carbonation jacks up the drinkability. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery as both the malts and watermelon are very subdued.

Not a very flavorful beer at all but it sure is highly drinkable and refreshing. It is definitely worth trying but that's about it.

02-20-2011 22:29:00 | More by paulozanello
Oxymoron

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A trip to San Francisco was a trip to 21st Amendment. It came with a wedge of watermelon with the glass. No longer are lemons and oranges used as a garnishment. The pour was a pretty hazy with a lemony yellow color. When arrived there was a nice but light frothy head but it did quickly hide to the edge of the glass and disappear altogether.

The nose was light and mostly consistent of a wheat beer. Some lighter notes of a melon-esk substance, but not sure if I would say it would be specific to watermelon.

The taste is similar with a very subtle American wheat beer flavor. Some lighter malt hints are there if you really look for them. Some graininess flavors and in the aftertaste the watermelon makes it’s presence detectable, but is slight.

The body is light but the watermelon aftertaste (more of a hint) leaves a slight sweeter flavor. But not a malty sweet more of a fruity sugar sweet. Carbonation felt low but an interesting wheat fruit experiment.

05-29-2007 22:42:36 | More by Oxymoron
Jerzdevil1116

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz can served in a Sam Adams pint glass. Purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ.

A: Cloudy light golden/straw body. Tall fluffy white head settled fairly quickly into thin film.

S: Smells like other wheat beers I've had. Assorted grains with hints of lemon. Watermelon is also faintly present.

T: A somewhat sweet and fruity, but not overbearing, start. Watermelon is again present. Finishes a bit tart.

M: Light to Medium bodied. A bit crisp.

D: Refreshing on a hot summer day. It's a decent beer, but not overly impressive. Low alcohol and light body increase its drinkability.

07-03-2009 20:21:54 | More by Jerzdevil1116
DovaliHops

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

You guys are tripping... My girlfriend talked me into buying this beer. I went into it with very low expectations...but I was very impressed. I find it to be very tasty for a light beer. I can see myself drinking many off these at a tailgate party or something like that. For not being my style in beer, this was pretty good.

02-24-2010 10:02:40 | More by DovaliHops
GeoffFromSJ

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Almost how I remember it at the brewpub. Unimpressive American Wheat (hey, I appreciate the style for what it is but it isn't that impressive a style) which ends with a nice watermelon taste. And that finish really works for this beer.

There was a slight sourness to this beer. Not sure if that was intentional.

I think the watermelon gives this beer a slightly darker shade than most wheat beers.

08-05-2009 02:17:23 | More by GeoffFromSJ
qchic

Maryland

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

From the can, pours a pale yellow gold with slight haziness. The head fades to almost nothing, which is unimpressive, especially for a wheat beer. Aroma is acidic and slightly fruity with notes of lemon and green apple. Only because I am looking for it do I sense watermelon, but it smells like the combination of unsweet rind and watermelon candy. Fortunately, the flavor is more pleasant, more closely resembling the real fruit. It never strays too far from jolly rancher territory, but it's light and dry. A bit of a novelty, but it's certainly a creative effort with decent results. It's no problem at all drinking this one, so I wouldn't steer anyone away from trying this. I'm not sure that I would buy this again myself, but I was happy to finally get this one.

09-08-2009 22:09:07 | More by qchic
Offa

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

I was not expecting much from a wheat beer with watermelon, but saw single cans for sale so I figured I'd try it and I was pleasantly surprised.

Hazy orangish straw yellow, it has a medium off-white head, steadily shrinking to a wispy top and no real lace.

The aroma is the weakest aspect and is a bit unpleasant. It smells of apples, flour and a hint of bread dough - definitely a wheat ale quality but different, hint of pine sap, and a hint of watermelon, mostly an old, turned unpleasant watermelon quality. It's not dreadful, but it's not good, either.

The taste, though, is actually pretty good as well as being interesting and unusual and it somewhat grew on me. It's odd and different, but pleasant, with a definite watermelon element (a bit like watermelon candy without the sweetness), a general wheat-ale quality of grain, dough, and dryish fruit, as well as cucumber, and light juiciness with a finish of wheat and cooked beans. It's dryish, not really sweet or bitter.

12-17-2008 18:36:56 | More by Offa
OStrungT

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours a clear, light golden wellow color with a thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has an odd aroma, to say the least. I can smell some watermelon. It has a very dominate grainy aroma however. It also has a very subtle spicy aroma. Not what I was expecting, and a little less than I would desire.

This beer tastes better than it smells, but only a little. Grainy. Very grainy. Some subtle watermelon flavor mixes in. That is about it. Not bad, but although I cant really put it into words, its not wat I was expecting.

This beer is high in carbonation. It is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grainy watermelon aftertaste.

I dont knwo about the drinkability of this one. It is low enough in alcohol to make putting down a few easy, but I didnt like the taste, so I couldnt see myself drinking too many.

Overall: I am happy to have finally had the chance to try this one. Every time I stop by the brewery, they are out, so having my wife find it was a real treat. Although it wasnt what I was expecting, I have no regrets about it. Nice try 21st Amendment.

10-23-2008 20:50:37 | More by OStrungT
mocktm

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

21st Amendment has always intrigued me, despite never making anything that has ever really blown my hair back. Maybe its just the cans, but regardless, I found myself buying this, thinking it would be an interesting and unique summer beer. At the very worst, its first watermelon beer I've ever tried...

Pours a light golden yellow with a slight yeasty haze. Perhaps a finger or so of head that fizzles out pretty quickly. Boasts lousy retention and no lacing as it dies down. Quite frankly, for a wheat beer this is disappointing.

Smells of watermelon rind and golden wheat, with a slight sour quality. Reminds me of candy almost, like what I'd imagine a Starburst would smell like in liquid form.

Tastes pretty much as the can advertises. Watermelon flavoring up front with a wheat backbone. Tangy aftertaste with the most minimal hop bitterness for balance. Different for sure, and actually, quite good.

Mouthfeel is reasonably light and incredibly easy-drinking. Wouldn't consider this a session beer necessarily though, as it may be a bit of a novelty. I might get sick of it after a few.

Overall, this accomplishes what it sets out to do. A refreshing summer beer that proves itself as an ideal pool lounging candidate that your girlfriend probably won't argue with. Worth a shot if you like wheat beers.

07-21-2011 03:42:56 | More by mocktm
caddybuyer

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cool looking can with the statue of liberty sitting on the Golden Gate bridge

A-Veiled pale yellow devoid of any head. A vigorous pour only leads to some soda-like fizzing.

S-Slighly sweet, sour funky, somewhat earthy. I may be picking up some watermelon but I may also be imagining it.

T-Interesting brew. Watermelon is definately present at the fore, slighly sweet and very thirst quenching. The brew falls apart at the back end, however, some wheat and mild hop twang lead to a rather lackluster finish. I'm giving it higher points than I normally would because the idea of watermelon beer is just so friggin cool

M-I am tempted to say thin, but it is merely light.

D-the former "drinkablility" category. I actually would buy this again..it is not great, but it is refreshing and unusual. I dig offbeat stuff, and this certainly is that. Low in abv to pound down in the summer heat...I like a summer refresher that lets me drink more of it.

07-08-2011 15:57:25 | More by caddybuyer
jmalex

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Finally, after years of listening to the BN, I get to try the oft-sought out yet much-maligned Watermelon Wheat. Thanks for getting the beer to the east coast, Sully.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Sam Adams glass a pale straw gold with a 2-finger bright white head. It drops quickly to a large collar with a lot of surface haze.

SMELL: The smell is mostly plain wheat with maybe a subtle fruitiness. It seems like a yeast characteristic from an otherwise very American strain rather than any sort of added fruit. Other than that, not much going on.

TASTE: Now there's the watermelon. The fruit is done really well here. It's not overwhelming by any stretch, nor is it sickly, extracty sweet. Only on the finish does it take on any sweetness, but it's actually quite welcome anyway. The base wheat beer is the downfall of the beer. It doesn't offer a whole lot of sweetness and is probably too much a blank slate for my tastes. But the fruit is done well enough that I can't knock it too much.

MOUTHFEEL: Thin bodied and understandably so, though a bit of body wouldn't hurt. Carbonation is toward the higher end and appropriate.

DRINKABILITY: Not bad. This is just fine for summer. The question here would be is watermelon a good flavor for a fruit beer in the first place. I'm still not sure.

A lot of what I read was setting this up for failure, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I expected a sweet Jolly Rancher mess, but the watermelon is done as well as anyone could reasonably expect. Worth a try just because it's probably the best watermelon beer that there is.

06-19-2009 19:58:17 | More by jmalex
Bierguy5

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can, 4.9% abv. Pours a hazy, pale straw color. White foamy head disappears almost immediately. No lace.

Pale, slightly sour, grainy aroma. Moderate amount of fruit, with a hint of watermelon near the end.

Pale malt, with a hint of tartness. Cereal grains show through a bit. Some bitterness, then a soft amount of watermelon. Not a whole lot going on.

Light body, but not overly fizzy. Watermelon comes across very subtle, without an artificial feel. Easy to drink on a hot day. Not bad.

07-25-2010 19:10:16 | More by Bierguy5