Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,314 | Reviews: 727
2.85/5  rDev -14.2%

The best part of this beer is the aroma, it's a pale yellow in color although I did only pour out a small amount for color review and drank it from the can as intended with this brew. I found the taste bland and for a beer hyped on watermelon with watermelon juice added the sweetness is non-existent. The finish is boring not leaving you with much of anything and not overly desire more.

3.66/5  rDev +10.2%

A= Pours a fizzy translucent yellow color with a small half finger head that falls fast and leaves no lacing on the glass. Really unimpressive for a wheat beer. The beer looks sort of sad as I stare at it with the bubbles coming up top to contribute to the absence of a head making their lives meaningless.

S= quite pungent I could smell it from a couple feet away after I poured it which is nice. Smells like a typical macro lager with candy flavored watermelon in it.... there's a touch of wheat in the smell just enough to make it smell like a wheat with watermelon. To be honest I've never smelled a watermelon like this tough. I've smelled lots of candy like this but no watermelon and I love watermelon.

T= Very similar to the smell. The taste is similar to a macro lager only with a nice wheat and watermelon touch. The wheat is just enough to make the middle of the sip crisp and refreshing and the finish a little citrusy. The watermelon is like candy of course only I don't notice it upon the initial sips only after I swallow do I notice the residual candy taste.

M= Low carbonation crisp and refreshing. Not bad at all. Actually sort of on point and fitting. I would say for a regular wheat it should be more carbonated and spritzy but this is fine.

D= Not a bad beer by any means and I will buy it again some summer day I'm sure but it's a little dissapointing for a wheat beer and the taste is very candyish. Not bad though.

3.14/5  rDev -5.4%

First off, a six pack of this beer is wayyyy too expensive. Very very cool concept though. The can has nice looking artwork.

12 oz. can poured into a standard pint glass

A- Pale light golden color. Cloudy. Small thin head.

S- Tart and sour watermelon. Reminded me of sour patch kids. Wheat and grass scents.

T- Another one dimensional beer. Tasted like a coors light with some watermelon. Kudos to 21st Amendment for having the watermelon flavor very suttle yet noticable.

M- Very light bodied. Very low on carbonation.

D- This could be good at a summer barbecue. I will try it again in the summer to see if it has improved.

1.6/5  rDev -51.8%

A- Pours a pretty clear pale gold color with a thin white head. Head is gone almost instantly and leaves no lacing.

S- Doesn't have a watermelon smell at all. Smells like a Bud light not really picking up a whole lot.

T- Taste is mostly yeast and wheat flavours. With a touch of a fruit in there maybe its watermelon but wouldn't count on it. It reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

D- Wow this is terrible. I sadly report I couldn't finish this one and I actually looked forward to this one.

2.88/5  rDev -13.3%

Picked up a single at Princeton Liquors. This is my second watermelon beer, but isn't as good as that Roy Pitz I had. While generally clean and interesting, the flavor isn't terribly pleasant - coming off like triscuits and cucumber salad. Sure, it kinda tastes like watermelon, but it's like the rind and seeds got ground up in added into the juice. No fun.

2.7/5  rDev -18.7%

Once in a while you are presented with something you are sure will be atrocious and turns out to be well... just different.

I could review this according to the traditional run through of Serving to Drinkability.

But instead I will say it is predominantly a light wheat beer with all of those characteristics. The watermelon comes in at the end of the sip and is not particularly overbearing. It is in fact a highly palatable beer. It is reminiscent of the watermelon Jolly Rancher or lollipop.

There is less aftertaste than you would expect and the beer has a decent body to it.

having said all this I would not drink a full can of it; it is so far from my taste in beer I can't imagine wasting the blood alcohol and calories on it.

However if you think you may like a wheat beer with a zing of slightly sour, slightly sweet watermelon. In my opinion the watermelon has ruined a good wheat beer in lieu of complimenting it. Thus the reduced taste rating. However this is largely about my aversion to this style versus a flaw in the brewing.

2.43/5  rDev -26.8%

Interesting beer. I can't say I'd ever think of combining watermelon with beer (nor do I really enjoy fruity beers), but I was looking forward to trying this one when some friends brought it over. It had a decent aroma.. definitely wheat with juicy watermelon undertones. The taste was like a hefe that had a dissolved watermelon jolly rancher in it! Kind of odd, but drinkable none-the-less. I can't say I'd look forward to having this beer again, but I woudn't turn it down if it were offered to me either.

3.32/5  rDev 0%

I had heard of 21 A and was excited to try one of their beers. This was my first watermelon flavored beer. the pour was a pale thin looking beer with a fluffy almost white head which dies quickly after pouring. the beer smells like (suprise) watermelon. The taste is balanced with a low alcohol content, very little if any hops and a very subtle touch of watermelon flavor. I am impressed that they pulled this beer off.

3.41/5  rDev +2.7%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light, pale and wheat malt scent along with a strange breadiness and a weak watermelon aroma. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pale and wheat malt flavor with a mild watermelon character. It's got a weird taste to it, but I guess it's the fruit. I'm not used to watermelon flavored beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an above average beer, but nothing I would buy again.

3.52/5  rDev +6%

What's not to like about this beer. It is loaded with carbonation, it's a slightly pale golden color, not much head, with a nose that has plenty of lemony floral characteristics, and yes, I think I get a whiff of the watermelon too. Thre is a slightly prickly mouthfeel from the wheat, which adds a bit of texture to what would otherwise be a pretty water fare. The beer is refreshing. The taste is more of a sweet fruity concoction but there is a definite watermelon presence throughout. Watermelon is not a strongly flavored fruit, unlike a strawberry or blueberry, and I think that is true as an adjunct in beer as well. The watermelon is not overpowering, more subtle and well blended with the other fruit flavors. There is no real aftertaste to the beer. It's light, it's fun, what's not to like.

2.57/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a slightly hazy bright golden yellow with maple undertones. For some reason I expected a bright red brew....

The smell is fairly faint, what I pick up most is melon rind. This beer smells like something that you rarely get whiffs of, real watermelon. This smells like natural watermelon, not that fake jolly rancher type watermelon flavor we've been trained to associate with this big green melon. All that said, coupled with the wheaty alcohol notes the watermelon comes off strange.

The taste mirrors the smell very well. The base beer is pretty flavorless as far as I can tell. The watermelon is the star here, but that's about it. This beer is simply watermelon beer, subdued bitter flavors of chewing melon rind. You can make this at home by drinking any wheat beer from a watermelon.

Mouthfeel is light, airy and watery. Carbonation is on the low end and the finish is somewhat dry.

Overall, I am not a big fan here. Muted flavors make this beer come off a bit gimmicky. I'm sure there are tons of people that like this beer just fine, but I think that one is going to be plenty enough for me.

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%

I purchased this at Shawan in Liquors in Md. Poured chilled from the can into a goblet

A - a hazy light marigold color w/ 2 fingers of soapy head w/ tiny bead, The wheat has good retention as lace clings to the glass

S - The smell has a malty, creamy wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent and mild sweet esters w/ subtle wheat toastiness

M - The feel has mild sweetness and relatively full body for the strength w/ a high effervescent intro and sweet middle, but drops off significantly and finishes smooth and clean

T - A crisp wheat flavor w/ mild watermelon note w/ light fruit ans subtle rind taste w/ toasty, creamy wheat flavor. The flavor finishes off w/ slightly sweet and mild watermelon juice flavor.

D - A really drinkable wheat w/ nice complimentary watermelon taste - not overdone and adds to the overall drinkability - a refreshing wheat/fruit combo.

2.88/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a shaker pint. Sickly pinkish yellow color with a big bubble head that quickly disappears. No lacing. Watermelon is the predominant aroma. And it tastes like watermelon too. If not for the watermelon there would be little if any flavor. Could not drink much of this. Great name and I'm saving the can but I don't think I'll be having any more.

3.58/5  rDev +7.8%

I don't know when or where I've heard about this particular beer, but at the time I thought it could be a good thing.

Surprised to see it in a card board box.

I can't tell if there's a hue of pink in my glass or not.
A scant ring of lace.

Nice aroma. Real fruit. But very faint.
Tangy bready yeast. Summer in a glass. Moderate carbonation. I think I detect some melon rind.
A lighter body, refreshing.

Almost good enough for a 12 pack.
Possibly the perfect accompaniment to fried chicken.

3.82/5  rDev +15.1%

A very unique and refreshing brew. You can smell the watermelon right up front, but it doesn't completely shadow the wheat.

The first thing you taste with this one is the watermelon. The finish is a smooth combination of watermelon and wheat. Mild carbonation, a great aftertaste and very drinkable. The watermelon flavor definitely isn't as overpowering or gross as some people have said, or at least it hasn't been in my experience.

This would definitely make a great summer beer, and my lady friends seem to enjoy it. If you know someone who prefers malt beverages or wine coolers, Hell or High Watermelon might be a good way to get them interested in beers. Or, at the least, it'll get them interested in fruit beers.

3.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've been wanting to try this for awhile now. It is certainly unique. The watermelon is evident on the aroma and is more of a fresh fruit smell rather than an artificial jolly rancher smell. That is good. There is also a a sweet white cake batter like aroma as well. And the more I smell this the cake batter aroma seems to gain strength....

Has a mild watermelon flavor on the taste....refreshing but different...not artificial as I feared it would be, but more of a freshly cut watermelon flavor...get a little bit of the cake batter on the taste too on the finish.

Light side of medium bodied...cloudy golden color....drinks nice but I don't think I could handle more than a couple at a time. A nice niche wheat.

3.63/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy light brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells like watermelon with some wheat. Taste like it smells, wheat and watermelon, though not overpowering, good balance. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is highly drinkable. Overall this is an interesting and quality brew.

3.18/5  rDev -4.2%

Got this one at Heritage. I figured, why not? Ed and Tim (again...I can't remember if thats your name or not) told me that this is definitely not the right weather to be drinking this in. Boy were they right.

Poured into a small pint glass, this is a hazy light golden color with a foamy white head. Lively carbonation. Leaves only spots of lacing.

The nose is really really wierd. It's sweet and wheaty, but there is a sort of water-logged watermelon rind. It is a strange combination of wheat and yeast and a light melon smell, that just isn't really melon. It's just strange, not my thing.

The taste is a shock, actually. I had my hopes that this actually tasted like watermelon dashed when the nose told me it wouldn't. But alas, it actually kind of does. It's strange, again, and not necessarily in a good way. Yeasty and wheaty and melony. Again, not really my thing.

Mouthfeel is light with a high carbonation, but it's surprisingly smooth and easy going. Drinkability is good, I can imagine that non-craft beer drinkers would love this stuff. My girlfriend and her mother (not craft-beer drinkers) liked it but both agreed it would be better on a hot summer day.

Overall, not really impressed, but I didn't have to be. This won't color my opinion of the brewery, as it's the only brew I had and I knew what I was getting myself into. I'll try their IPA before I write them off.

2.95/5  rDev -11.1%

Hazed sun yellow boddy. Thin fluffy white head. Sporadic lace coats the glass in patches as I drink. Aroma is sweet, bright and melony. Interesting flavor, though it's not my thing. This is the first watermelon beer I've tried and may be the last. I don't get any real specific watermelon flavor other than a juicy sweetness. The wheat base is very average. Nothing really stands out here. Could drink some of these in summer if nothing else was available.

3.78/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a fairly clear yellow. Little over a one finger pure white head. Head dissipates in a couple minutes and left a thin ring. Left an ok amount of lacing down the glass, nothing special.

Smells very watermelony, can't get much of anything else, maybe a bit of wheat. Not off putting, it actually makes me want to see what the beer is all about.

Tastes of some subtle watermelon, the flavor of which is nicely balanced by the wheat in this ale. Nice flavor, very clean finish.

Feels nicely carbonated at first, but doesnt finish with as much as it starts. Fairly light bodied.

I could drink a million of these. Nice flavor, but quite light bodied

3.9/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Lots of fresh watermelon. Maybe a little wheat.

T: Fresh watermelon. It's good and sweet, but for the most part it's a one-note flavor. Some malt, and I'm not sure if there are hops or not. It's not a complex flavor, but it is very fun to drink.

M: Some bite in the back of the throat. Very bubby at first but calms down quickly.

D: Easy to drink. Refreshing. A great start for a summer barbecue or picnic.

3.79/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Poured a clear yellow; not exactly what I expected from a wheat beer. Pretty sizable white head.

S: It has a faint hint of watermelon in the smell (not real watermelon, but something like a watermelon flavored jolly rancher). Smells clean and refreshing, though.

T: Somewhat yeasty, with a slight watermelon (once again, Jolly Rancher) flavor. It's not overbearing, but it's definitely there. However, the beer itself tastes a bit watery.

M: Fairly watery, pretty thin, and low on carbonation. Nothing too special.

D: Very very very easy to drink. It's thin, it's kind of watery, it's tastes decent. The novelty of the watermelon might wear off after just one can, but it's just super easy to drink a lot of this stuff.

Overall: It's definitely worth trying (at least for novelty sake). It's not a bad beer, but if you take out the watermelon aspect, this is just your run of the mill American wheat beer.

A- Pours a cloudy orange hue with a thin, off white head that fades quickly.

S- lots of wheat and watermelon.

T- Watermelon all the way through with a bready, wheat base that balanced out the watermelon well.

M- Medium bodied with decent carbonation.

D- Not something i'd drink all the time but I think it is definitely an underrated beer.

3.05/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: flat looking yellowish orange color with some spots of foam on the surface.

Smell: light watermelon aroma is all that is detectable.

Taste: very mild wheat profile with soft watermelon tones and little to no bitterness. Pretty one dimensional in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body. Mildly crisp throughout and a brief watermelon aftertaste leaves the mouth quickly.

Drinkability: this one did not do it at all for me as I had a hard time finishing the glass. Some props go out for a fruit beer in a can.

3.67/5  rDev +10.5%

Served in a pint glass, on-tap at Devil's Den in Philly

Pours a light yellowstraw color, with a medium white head that goes away quickly

There is watermelon in the nose! Fantastic! Not too sweet or fruity, some wheat and malt too. Had this as a gimmick, now interested in the beer.

Easy drinker - the fruit is subtle, - but there, not dominating but obvious.

Thin, a bit watery, but OK, great on a warm day

One was enough for me, no problems at all, just all I wanted.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery