2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Ratings: 1,485 | Reviews: 585 | Show All Ratings:
Stephanate

4.38/5  rDev +35.2%

Perfect summer beer. Cool and refreshing. Smooth light wheat taste with great real watermelon after taste. Doesn't have that generic fake watermelon after taste like a candy. No bitterness. Comparable to most light beers in wheat flavor but with the additional summer fruitiness.

08-14-2013 18:56:23 | More by Stephanate
Libationguy

Nevada

3.53/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hazy light straw color. (Served with a wedge of watermelon on the glass at the brew pub).

Watermelon, citrus, yeasty, pink grapefruit, toasted white bread, grassy.

Soft round notes of cereal, citrus and yeast on the palate. Fairly four-square with a clean, lactic finish.

Medium- bodied with a slightly watery texture.

Refreshing with the watermelon, but fairly simple and needing a little more texture.

(Tasted from sampler at the brew pub).

07-06-2013 01:21:08 | More by Libationguy
socon67

3.59/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy light golden pour with a high white foam head. Soapy lacing on the glass.

S - Has a strong wheat aroma, and certainly a faint smell of watermelon rind. slightly too candy like (think Jolly Rancher) but better than others I can recall.

T - Typical witbier profile more than what one would consider a fruit beer. Light grains give a nice base to a beer that is refreshing. Finish hits the mouth with sweetness of watermelon that is pleasant although maybe a bit too sweet.

M - Has a wheat germ grottiness to it. Leaves a sweet finish that would make it not sessionable to me, but likely for others. Clean beer.

O - Not bad and a good summer beer. I just don't see this being anything special.

07-02-2013 02:48:51 | More by socon67
Mantooth

2.89/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On draft at The String Bean, Belmont, NC. Poured in a standard US pint glass.

Pours hazy with a fair amount of visible carbonation, very little head and a nice bit of oily lacing that persists throughout the experience. I can faintly smell watermelon, but I also know it's supposed to be there. I can definitely taste it, along with some bitter rind and some thin standard flavors of a lesser wheat beer. I'm glad I tried it.

03-27-2013 23:09:37 | More by Mantooth
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.76/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On-tap at the brew-pub of 21st Amendment complete with a water-melon wedge on the rim of the glass (4.9% ABV).

Hazy gold body with a thin excuse for a head on top.

Not a lot going on in the nose or taste really: some watery wheatness just about detectable and I suppose some water melon hints as well.

OK, but not my sort of beer. Refreshing but not a winter beer in my eyes, which is when I had it.

03-27-2013 22:06:24 | More by BlackHaddock
mgironta

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

This brew poured with a one finger white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a clear, golden-yellow color with mild visible carbonation. The nose was very muted. I only got a hint of watermelon. I remember this having more of a nose the last time that I had it. On the taste, the first thing that hit me was how much more carbonation there was on the taste than what I could see in the glass. The next thing that hit me was that this tasted exactly like a liquid watermelon jolly rancher to me. This was completely saturated with lots of artificial watermelon, which wasn’t all that pleasant. After that, I really didn’t get anything else. Any other flavors were completely hidden by the watermelon. The finish was quick, again with watermelon. I remember enjoying this beer much more…I guess my tastes have changed. I would not rush back to have this.

09-16-2012 23:04:33 | More by mgironta
Ilafan

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Watermelon beer? What will they think of next? Very little head that lasted a very short time. I, personally, could not detect any discernible smell. However, the taste was exactly as advertised by the name. Resheshing, crisp watermelon dominates. I like its uniqueness. Hey, does drinking this count as a serving of fruit?!?

08-19-2012 22:50:48 | More by Ilafan
UCLABrewN84

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap for the 4th Anniversary event at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of wheat, grain, yeast, spices, and some slightly fruit (but not watermelon) aromas. Taste is much the same with a very mild watermelon flavor on the finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is refreshing but the watermelon presence is mild and hard to pick out in my opinion.

08-14-2012 01:25:24 | More by UCLABrewN84
sakana

3.63/5  rDev +12%

I'm reviewing this based on memory, so please bear with me, as I do not have tasting notes.

It was a hot night at the bar, and I was in the mood for something light and refreshing to chase away the cloying heat of the place. this pale yet flavorful beer was thoroughly enjoyable and was just what the doctor ordered to chase away the uncomfortable warmth of the place.

This was not the first watermelon wheat beer I had consumed, there was another I had enjoyed the previous summer that drew me to choose this instead of one of the other available options. Don't expect it totaste strongly of watermelon - I only moticed melon flavors in the aftertaste, as up front you mostly we treated to a light, wheaty flavor.

Definitely a nice treat for a hot day, and now that I know that I can get it in cans, it'll likely come with me to the next BBQ I attend.

07-16-2012 21:27:01 | More by sakana
thecheapies

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

Hazy light amber color. Overpoured, and the meager head didn't hold. 3.0

Wheat malts and some lemony tang. Almost buttery in its aroma. 3.0

Phenolic watermelon and buttered popcorn. Slight artificial strawberry character. Weak wheat malts. Goofy flavors. 2.5

Really effervescent. The body is forgettable. 2.5

Average fruit wheat. Not boring, just faulty execution. 3.0

06-30-2012 13:35:37 | More by thecheapies
BARFLYB

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

On Tap at Old Eagle Tavern in a pint glass. I've been avoiding this beer for quite some time.

Hell or High looks pretty in the glass with a light bronze color with some gold trimmings. All together the beer is very still and dead looking with the head dying by the time it got to me, no lace on this one. Looks more like a pale ale than a fruit beer.

The smell is very grainy with some some wheat in the background. Only getting trace sniffs of watermelon with a whole lot of grass. This one is earthy in every sense of the word and not on the sweet smelling side.

And by god, this stuff is very putrid. It' s not the most offensive beer in the world, or perhaps this is an old keg, but this tastes like bad homebrew. Old faded hops give way to a big grassy smack in the palate, like an old IPA. The watermelon is light and not artificial tasting which is a good thing. Pale malt with lemon grass. I don't know what else to say.

Feel is on the less than medium side with a sharp carb hit despite the beer looking dead. The alcohol is not tasted, yet the aftertaste of old grass is off putting. I thinks this may be a old keg, no way 21st would put out a brew in such large quanity with it being a dud, or would they.

This is a very popular beer with new to craft drinkers. My brother swears by it and he is a BMC guy, so I guess there is some appeal to the non beer geek to seek this out with the watermelon addition. I need to try this from a can, but my draft score will remain.

05-29-2012 02:29:58 | More by BARFLYB
Brent

Kentucky

I will admit to approaching this beer with some trepidation. Watermelon flavored beer? The thougth invoked a shudder, but, I forged on nonetheless. I was pleasantly surpised at how deftly the watermelon aspect was handled. Rather than the Jolly Rancher monstrosity I expected, the watermelon note was quite subtile, just barely there in the background of an otherwise quite clean and light wheat. Some citrus balanced well with the melon, and there was a hint of fruity perfume in the aftertaste. Not something could see myself ordering on any sort of regular basis, but an interesting endeavor by the brewery.

10-17-2011 14:05:27 | More by Brent
jsprain1

2.65/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a cloudy golden. Head is half a finger foamy white.
S- Light watermelon character on the nose, with a pale grain presence.
T- The first thought in my mind was Watermelon Bubblicious but far less sweet. A watery watermelon character, with a grainy base.
M- Light and thin, verges on watery.
O- Interesting idea but I didn't particularly care for its executing. Probably wouldn't seek out or try again.

10-16-2011 20:15:19 | More by jsprain1
IronCitySteve

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow color, with obvious sediment. Provides a small white foam head that quickly disappears. Some spotty lacing.

S: Lots of big wheat and yeast smells are quite obvious. There is also some watermelon scents but not as potent as expected. Smells clean and refreshing and seeing how we were there on the hottest day in San Fran in 2011, it was fitting.

T: Not quite a one dimensional beer, but there is obvious watermelon flavored bubble gum with a big amount of wheat. The taste is pretty constant from beginning to end.

M: Very light bodied. Very clean crisp and refreshing.

O: This beer delivers what it says it would. Perfect for a hot day as it is quite refreshing. Not a brew I would certainly seek out but it was enjoyable.

10-16-2011 00:53:44 | More by IronCitySteve
nickd717

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Review dated 2/15/2009.

On tap at the brewpub. Hazy yellow color with a small white head and a watermelon slice on the glass. Aroma is lots of watermelon. Flavor is wheaty with - you guessed it - watermelon. Pretty sour and almost cidery on the finish. Light on the palate, refreshing but a little off-balance in my opinion.

08-25-2011 18:46:35 | More by nickd717
dgilks

Australia

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Cloudy pale straw colour with a small head. No lacing and poor head retention.

Fresh and fruity watermelon aroma with a touch of sweetness. Almost a touch sugary.

Light wheat flavour with a hit of watermelon. Good balance.

Light body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

A decent fruit beer but nothing worth writing home about. Worth trying once and I hear it's better on tap than in the can.

08-24-2011 12:17:44 | More by dgilks
grittybrews

Washington

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured a pale straw gold into a pint glass with a finger of loose white head. Mild aroma of honey and wheat.

Moderate carbonation and a light, creamy mouthfeel. Plenty of watermelon up front with bread/wheat and a light grassy bitterness on the finish.

Very refreshing and easy drinking, although the watermelon borders on Jolly Rancher-esque artificial sweetness after a while.

08-04-2011 04:12:26 | More by grittybrews
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

06-15-2011 13:58:05 | More by johnmichaelsen
Chincino

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this beer on-tap at the 21st Amendment brewery in San Francisco. I had it during the summer and it was a good summer beer. It was highly drinkable-very light and crisp. There was a strong aroma of watermelon and it was served which a watermelon wedge on the side of the pint glass.

11-10-2010 23:55:31 | More by Chincino
brystmar

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

On draft at L'asso pizza in manhattan. Heard tons this brew from my west-coast friends, finally got a taste.

Looks like lemonade in the glass (was hoping for even an artificial red hue) with poor "lite beer"-esque head & retention. Lacing on the glass reminds me what's been consumed.

Smell isn't particularly strong; what's there is all lemon & watermelon. Again, smells more like lemonade than anything.

Watermelon-flavored Jolly Rancher taste is first up to bat; citrusy / lemony tartness not far behind. Finishes watery and bland with "blah" wheatiness saying it showed up uninvited.

Light-bodied with slightly above average carbonation and pretty boring overall on the mouthfeel side. Light and easy to drink, but I wouldn't order a second glass.

09-11-2010 21:47:00 | More by brystmar
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

A bit darker colour than what I would typically call "golden straw". Not much of a head; a bit of patchy white frost. Average at best.

Mildly fruity, though not necessarily watermelon. Perhaps a little light maltiness, but again, average at best.

Watermelon very much present in the flavour almost flirting with being artificial like a piece of watermelon candy, but not quite. Finished with a pleasant, dry biscuity malt. Much better than I was anticipating, I must admit.

Mouthfeel was light and well carbonated. I could see where this could be quite sessionable for some, and where I *did* enjoy trying this, I feel I would tire of the watermelon flavour after a pint or two. It's not bad, it's just not a flavour I associate with beer. Peculiar, for sure.

08-17-2010 23:31:16 | More by SilentSabre
womencantsail

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

On-tap at 21A

A: The beer comes with a small piece of watermelon affixed to the glass (a la an orange/lemon with hefeweizens of ill-repute). The beer is a slightly hazed straw color.

S: The nose definitely exhibits some watermelon, but it is more watermelon rind in nature. A bit of sweet, bread malt underneath.

T: Plenty of watermelon flavor, so at least it lives up to its name. Mostly watermelon rind and watermelon jolly rancher with just a hint of wheat.

M: The body is on the lighter side with plentiful carbonation.

D: I don't know how much of this I'd actually be interested in drinking at a time, but it's not a bad beer. Quite refreshing and better than some of the other beers that were on tap.

07-30-2010 06:57:50 | More by womencantsail
Stinkypuss

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Ive been wanting to try this one for a while, found it on tap.

Appearance: Bright gold in color with a soapy head and some lace.

Smell: Bready/Biscuity malt and just a faint whiff of fruit, not quite sure if it is watermelon.

Taste: Standard wheat beer notes coupled with a light sour tang of watermelon. With the amount of watermelon juice used, it adds only a subtlety to the beer. Almost like dropping a watermelon jolly rancher into a light beer. Still interesting and certainly an achievement of what they were going for.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: The watermelon flavor was there the whole time, and was very intriguing. I wouldn't want more than one though, good for a novelty but average drinkability.

07-13-2010 18:38:32 | More by Stinkypuss
beerad666

4.2/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Now at first a Watermelon wheat may not sound very appealing but you just need to give this guy one sip to see why it's a great backyard summer beer.

Pouring out a light hazy golden yellow. With a tiny white head that vanishes suddenly. The smell is what you'd expect, rather sugary with heavy watermelon and wheat. The wheat is light with a small watermelon back. It's subtle but very much there. Nothing very complex but really I don't want too much in this guy. At 4.9% it's perfect for spending the day hanging out with friends or family without having something that's going to knock you on your ass.

07-05-2010 17:31:50 | More by beerad666
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.1/5  rDev +26.5%

A: Poured a cloudy light gold color with a nice white head.

S: Nose is light wheat and faint watermelon.

T: Taste is a good balance but thin as well. Wheat up front but I tasted the watermelon from beginning to end

M: Mouthfeel was nice, light and crisp.

D: I could drink these all day long!

06-21-2010 03:54:49 | More by barleywinefiend