2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Ratings: 1,479 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
BARFLYB

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

On Tap at Old Eagle Tavern in a pint glass. I've been avoiding this beer for quite some time.

Hell or High looks pretty in the glass with a light bronze color with some gold trimmings. All together the beer is very still and dead looking with the head dying by the time it got to me, no lace on this one. Looks more like a pale ale than a fruit beer.

The smell is very grainy with some some wheat in the background. Only getting trace sniffs of watermelon with a whole lot of grass. This one is earthy in every sense of the word and not on the sweet smelling side.

And by god, this stuff is very putrid. It' s not the most offensive beer in the world, or perhaps this is an old keg, but this tastes like bad homebrew. Old faded hops give way to a big grassy smack in the palate, like an old IPA. The watermelon is light and not artificial tasting which is a good thing. Pale malt with lemon grass. I don't know what else to say.

Feel is on the less than medium side with a sharp carb hit despite the beer looking dead. The alcohol is not tasted, yet the aftertaste of old grass is off putting. I thinks this may be a old keg, no way 21st would put out a brew in such large quanity with it being a dud, or would they.

This is a very popular beer with new to craft drinkers. My brother swears by it and he is a BMC guy, so I guess there is some appeal to the non beer geek to seek this out with the watermelon addition. I need to try this from a can, but my draft score will remain.

05-29-2012 02:29:58 | More by BARFLYB
Brent

Kentucky

I will admit to approaching this beer with some trepidation. Watermelon flavored beer? The thougth invoked a shudder, but, I forged on nonetheless. I was pleasantly surpised at how deftly the watermelon aspect was handled. Rather than the Jolly Rancher monstrosity I expected, the watermelon note was quite subtile, just barely there in the background of an otherwise quite clean and light wheat. Some citrus balanced well with the melon, and there was a hint of fruity perfume in the aftertaste. Not something could see myself ordering on any sort of regular basis, but an interesting endeavor by the brewery.

10-17-2011 14:05:27 | More by Brent
jsprain1

2.65/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a cloudy golden. Head is half a finger foamy white.
S- Light watermelon character on the nose, with a pale grain presence.
T- The first thought in my mind was Watermelon Bubblicious but far less sweet. A watery watermelon character, with a grainy base.
M- Light and thin, verges on watery.
O- Interesting idea but I didn't particularly care for its executing. Probably wouldn't seek out or try again.

10-16-2011 20:15:19 | More by jsprain1
IronCitySteve

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow color, with obvious sediment. Provides a small white foam head that quickly disappears. Some spotty lacing.

S: Lots of big wheat and yeast smells are quite obvious. There is also some watermelon scents but not as potent as expected. Smells clean and refreshing and seeing how we were there on the hottest day in San Fran in 2011, it was fitting.

T: Not quite a one dimensional beer, but there is obvious watermelon flavored bubble gum with a big amount of wheat. The taste is pretty constant from beginning to end.

M: Very light bodied. Very clean crisp and refreshing.

O: This beer delivers what it says it would. Perfect for a hot day as it is quite refreshing. Not a brew I would certainly seek out but it was enjoyable.

10-16-2011 00:53:44 | More by IronCitySteve
nickd717

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Review dated 2/15/2009.

On tap at the brewpub. Hazy yellow color with a small white head and a watermelon slice on the glass. Aroma is lots of watermelon. Flavor is wheaty with - you guessed it - watermelon. Pretty sour and almost cidery on the finish. Light on the palate, refreshing but a little off-balance in my opinion.

08-25-2011 18:46:35 | More by nickd717
dgilks

Australia

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Cloudy pale straw colour with a small head. No lacing and poor head retention.

Fresh and fruity watermelon aroma with a touch of sweetness. Almost a touch sugary.

Light wheat flavour with a hit of watermelon. Good balance.

Light body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

A decent fruit beer but nothing worth writing home about. Worth trying once and I hear it's better on tap than in the can.

08-24-2011 12:17:44 | More by dgilks
grittybrews

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured a pale straw gold into a pint glass with a finger of loose white head. Mild aroma of honey and wheat.

Moderate carbonation and a light, creamy mouthfeel. Plenty of watermelon up front with bread/wheat and a light grassy bitterness on the finish.

Very refreshing and easy drinking, although the watermelon borders on Jolly Rancher-esque artificial sweetness after a while.

08-04-2011 04:12:26 | More by grittybrews
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

06-15-2011 13:58:05 | More by johnmichaelsen
Chincino

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this beer on-tap at the 21st Amendment brewery in San Francisco. I had it during the summer and it was a good summer beer. It was highly drinkable-very light and crisp. There was a strong aroma of watermelon and it was served which a watermelon wedge on the side of the pint glass.

11-10-2010 23:55:31 | More by Chincino
brystmar

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

On draft at L'asso pizza in manhattan. Heard tons this brew from my west-coast friends, finally got a taste.

Looks like lemonade in the glass (was hoping for even an artificial red hue) with poor "lite beer"-esque head & retention. Lacing on the glass reminds me what's been consumed.

Smell isn't particularly strong; what's there is all lemon & watermelon. Again, smells more like lemonade than anything.

Watermelon-flavored Jolly Rancher taste is first up to bat; citrusy / lemony tartness not far behind. Finishes watery and bland with "blah" wheatiness saying it showed up uninvited.

Light-bodied with slightly above average carbonation and pretty boring overall on the mouthfeel side. Light and easy to drink, but I wouldn't order a second glass.

09-11-2010 21:47:00 | More by brystmar
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

A bit darker colour than what I would typically call "golden straw". Not much of a head; a bit of patchy white frost. Average at best.

Mildly fruity, though not necessarily watermelon. Perhaps a little light maltiness, but again, average at best.

Watermelon very much present in the flavour almost flirting with being artificial like a piece of watermelon candy, but not quite. Finished with a pleasant, dry biscuity malt. Much better than I was anticipating, I must admit.

Mouthfeel was light and well carbonated. I could see where this could be quite sessionable for some, and where I *did* enjoy trying this, I feel I would tire of the watermelon flavour after a pint or two. It's not bad, it's just not a flavour I associate with beer. Peculiar, for sure.

08-17-2010 23:31:16 | More by SilentSabre
womencantsail

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

On-tap at 21A

A: The beer comes with a small piece of watermelon affixed to the glass (a la an orange/lemon with hefeweizens of ill-repute). The beer is a slightly hazed straw color.

S: The nose definitely exhibits some watermelon, but it is more watermelon rind in nature. A bit of sweet, bread malt underneath.

T: Plenty of watermelon flavor, so at least it lives up to its name. Mostly watermelon rind and watermelon jolly rancher with just a hint of wheat.

M: The body is on the lighter side with plentiful carbonation.

D: I don't know how much of this I'd actually be interested in drinking at a time, but it's not a bad beer. Quite refreshing and better than some of the other beers that were on tap.

07-30-2010 06:57:50 | More by womencantsail
Stinkypuss

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Ive been wanting to try this one for a while, found it on tap.

Appearance: Bright gold in color with a soapy head and some lace.

Smell: Bready/Biscuity malt and just a faint whiff of fruit, not quite sure if it is watermelon.

Taste: Standard wheat beer notes coupled with a light sour tang of watermelon. With the amount of watermelon juice used, it adds only a subtlety to the beer. Almost like dropping a watermelon jolly rancher into a light beer. Still interesting and certainly an achievement of what they were going for.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: The watermelon flavor was there the whole time, and was very intriguing. I wouldn't want more than one though, good for a novelty but average drinkability.

07-13-2010 18:38:32 | More by Stinkypuss
beerad666

4.2/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Now at first a Watermelon wheat may not sound very appealing but you just need to give this guy one sip to see why it's a great backyard summer beer.

Pouring out a light hazy golden yellow. With a tiny white head that vanishes suddenly. The smell is what you'd expect, rather sugary with heavy watermelon and wheat. The wheat is light with a small watermelon back. It's subtle but very much there. Nothing very complex but really I don't want too much in this guy. At 4.9% it's perfect for spending the day hanging out with friends or family without having something that's going to knock you on your ass.

07-05-2010 17:31:50 | More by beerad666
barleywinefiend

4.1/5  rDev +26.5%

A: Poured a cloudy light gold color with a nice white head.

S: Nose is light wheat and faint watermelon.

T: Taste is a good balance but thin as well. Wheat up front but I tasted the watermelon from beginning to end

M: Mouthfeel was nice, light and crisp.

D: I could drink these all day long!

06-21-2010 03:54:49 | More by barleywinefiend
emmasdad

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a hazy golden-orange color, with a minimal amount of fluffy white foam. Not much going on in the nose here, with the exception of the watermelon. Not so much fruit, but more like a watermelon jolly rancher. A little sweetness on the palate, some light wheat, but again mostly the somewhat cloying fake watermelon taste. Nothing special here, just a decent light beer with fake fruit flavor.

04-29-2010 05:06:31 | More by emmasdad
katan

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%

On draft at home base into a pils glass.

A- pours a hazy golden color. Light white head formation. No bubbling, appears lightly carbonated.

S- I guess I should have had this ahead of the ipa. The smell is very light, with just a hint of watermelon.

T- starts off lightly sweet, with just a hair of watermelon. Gets more bitter and dry mid stream. Finishes with the husky shell of a watermelon, very earthy.

M- Good body to the beer, creamy and thick. Carbonation is present, but not overbearing. Finishes with a sweet film.

D- very drinkable. Abv is manageable. Not filling. Flavors are just a bit off for long sessioning.

Maybe this just isn't my style, as I won't miss having this again.

03-02-2010 02:23:13 | More by katan
dananabanana

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Lots of fresh watermelon. Maybe a little wheat.

T: Fresh watermelon. It's good and sweet, but for the most part it's a one-note flavor. Some malt, and I'm not sure if there are hops or not. It's not a complex flavor, but it is very fun to drink.

M: Some bite in the back of the throat. Very bubby at first but calms down quickly.

D: Easy to drink. Refreshing. A great start for a summer barbecue or picnic.

11-16-2009 00:09:52 | More by dananabanana
mhatters

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

Served in a pint glass, on-tap at Devil's Den in Philly

Pours a light yellowstraw color, with a medium white head that goes away quickly

There is watermelon in the nose! Fantastic! Not too sweet or fruity, some wheat and malt too. Had this as a gimmick, now interested in the beer.

Easy drinker - the fruit is subtle, - but there, not dominating but obvious.

Thin, a bit watery, but OK, great on a warm day

One was enough for me, no problems at all, just all I wanted.

10-18-2009 00:05:16 | More by mhatters
oldcrustacean

Connecticut

My favorite beer from my time spent in San Francisco.

I would ride to the brewery at lunch to enjoy a few -- always served with a slice of watermelon. Can't say I got much done those days.

Other times I'd pick up a growler to share with friends. Ten extra pounds of awkward weight on my bicycle, climbing steep San Francisco streets, meant that I had to earn this brew. Ever climb an 18% grade hill with 2 growlers on your back? I assure you it makes the beer taste that much better.

This is the best watermelon ale out there -- the flavor doesn't taste contrived. Hooker and Opa's watermelon ales taste a bit too artificial for my liking; a little too heavy on the extract. 21A gets it right.

Prost.

10-06-2009 18:34:10 | More by oldcrustacean
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Had this on-tap at the Rogue Public House in San Francisco. Pours a very hazy golden with a thin, white, swirly cap of a head. Smells vaguely sour with wheat and watermelon rind, a touch of lemon, and a tiny bit of sweetness. The taste is similar, with more white rind flavor than red juiciness, but as opposed to the aroma, there is at least some sweet, juicy watermelon here which adds something to the more sour and herbal rind and lemon flavors. Crisp, refreshing, and worth trying. A fairly interesting beer.

08-24-2009 01:58:32 | More by Georgiabeer
Docer

3.83/5  rDev +18.2%

Had at this years OBF!

- Clear straw-yellow appearance... little bit of white lacing... bubbly...

- Great citrusy watermelon scent with some wheat and malt.. some breadiness... not bad..

- Smooth balanced flavor... somewhat watery though.. but certainly some watermelon... bit sweet and candy-like though. Ok I guess..

- Watery, like a watery fruit drink... light and refreshing...

- I could easily do a 12-pack on a hot day and wonder why I would be thirsty still and dehydrated.... a nice sporty brew for a hot day. Put some caffeine in it and it would appeal to some kids...

07-28-2009 00:57:36 | More by Docer
david18

4.22/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer Advocate calls this a fruit beer but I would put it closer to a wheat. Although there is a slight watermelon aroma and taste it's really not that strong. It's an excellent, drinkable beer and a great summer draft. Might also be accessible to non-beer drinkers, like my wife.

07-24-2009 18:34:11 | More by david18
tzieser

Arizona

2.85/5  rDev -12%

I had this on tap at the pour farm in New Bedford, MA

Pored a typical maco brew looking gold with small yellow fizzy head that turned into nothing. Smelled like a typical macro beer, kinda corny, not much smell. Watermelon obviously.

tastes good if you really enjoy fruit beers. I don't mind fruit beers, but this one just isnt for me. The watermelon tastes like a jolly rancher dipped into a bud light.

Mouthfeel is pretty average.

Drinkability is average because I can't see myself craving these.

overall: I really don't get what all the hype is about. Overrated.

06-30-2009 15:11:23 | More by tzieser
GPHarris

Alabama

had this at the brewpub before a giants-rangers baseball game.

not sure what to make of this tall beer poured in a weizen glass complete with a wedge of watermelon.

refreshing beer and the watermelon flavor gives it a coolness that is quite nice. i didn't put the wedge into the beer, only ate it after finishing the beer.

they don't do flights (which i can't believe) but i also had 1/2 pints of rustico (dark brown ale), tasty (ipa) and primus (belgian pale ale) before the game.

rustico was excellent though it doesn't have a profile so i can't review it on BA.

i paired this with some brew free chili (which was amazing) and a siciliana pizza (terrific).

06-26-2009 20:52:16 | More by GPHarris